Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DIVOON  (Read 57065 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:DIVOON
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2006, 02:28:12 PM »

DRLaura-sorry about your friend.  

Penny, I hope this evening gives you and your family closure, joy and peace.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2006, 02:38:15 PM »

Finished the afternoon with PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES. Good enhanced transfer with strong Metrocolor and sharp images (except in Miss Day's close-ups, of course).

It always makes me a little mad when people made fun of Doris Day being a "professional virgin" forgetting that during those years that she made romantic comedies as a single woman, she was also playing wives or widows in movies like IT HAPPENED TO JANE, PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES, THE THRILL OF IT ALL, SEND ME NO FLOWERS, and MOVE OVER DARLING. I think she mixed her roles very well. People's memories can be very convenient.

And, of course, no one realizes that she was essentially an "abused spouse" in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies."

Niven's character was so insufferably chauvinistic and verbally abusive of his wife and kids that it should be a case study of why baby boomers turned to love and drugs in the 70s.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 02:40:48 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2006, 02:45:45 PM »

Of course, DR MAttH, her most successful films were the ones in which she portrayed a virginal single woman...who, of course, succumbs to the charms of Rock Hudson/Cary Grant in the end.

PILLOW TALK, LOVER COME BACK, & THAT TOUCH OF MINK were bigger boxoffice than anything else she'd done, IIRC.

By the time she was playing a woman married to Rock Hudson in SEND ME NO FLOWERs, she was 40.

While unjust/unfair/and quite picayunish of the critics,  she was playing the virginal in-her-late-30s-career-woman at a time when such a creature was an endangered species.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 02:46:47 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2006, 02:49:07 PM »

Back from a nice lunch with Miss Cindy Williams.

MBarnum

« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2006, 04:01:50 PM »

I've considered subscribing to "Scarlet Street", but then I'm still waiting for the next issue in my "After Dark subscription.

Scarlet Street is actually folding operations and will have only 2 more issues, so subscriptions are no more.

MBarnum

« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2006, 04:05:07 PM »

Hmm...PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES...I couldn't get throught that one.

I did interview one of the little kids in the film...DR Jane's school bud, Flip Mark!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2006, 04:08:08 PM »

I don't think they're completely folding, are they?

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2006, 04:42:15 PM »

That is my understanding, BK. Two more issues, and then I believe a couple of special issues over the next few years in order to complete the open subscriptions.

Unless things have changed...but I have not heard anything different thus far.

They are no longer accepting any subscriptions.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2006, 05:00:33 PM »

Well, then that's only going to leave Video Watchdog, and, unless the Bava book is never shipped and old Timmy has to refund all of us money, Timbo would rather die than not be the only genre magazine left.

Cillaliz

« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2006, 05:06:03 PM »

Vibes to Dakota and her father

Jane

« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2006, 05:09:26 PM »

Have been reading my new issue of SCARLET STREET which arrived today!

Yes, there is an interview with Mr Kenny Miller by DR MBARNUM, an interview with DR FJL & SKIP by MR BK himself, and a DVD review by yours truly (who is also the subject of a letter to the editor)....and an interview with a former DR and another one with her father.

Most enjoyable!

I would love a copy of this issue.  How do I get one?

Cillaliz

« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2006, 05:39:15 PM »

Well, I tried one more time to introduce the cats.  It just isn't going to happen. Callie is SOOOO territorial. I really can't believe it. She's started some other territorial type bad behaviors as well and I just can't let things keep deteriorating.

SOOO, I called the lady with the young daughter who called about 10 days ago wanting to adopt Boo.   She isn't sure now, she said they had re-thought the situation but after some discussion and my explanation of what is going on here, she said she wanted to think about it, in that way that says I'm thinking this might work.   When I said that I was calling because I promised she'd be the first person I called, she said she was very glad I did.  She'll either call me tonight or tomorrow and let me know.

I am really hoping this will work out. They are animal people and she laughed and said I'd been such a good mommy when I told her some of the things I've been doing for Boo. It would be a very good home and Boo would have a young girl to play with her and love her.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2006, 05:43:29 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  I was bad at lunch - had a Casear Salad, a patty melt - so far, so okay - but along with the patty melt came fries and I'm afraid I et them all up.  There weren't THAT many, but it's the first time I've had fries in three months.  Hopefully my jog this morning was potent and all will be well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2006, 05:43:52 PM »

I'm gettin' within spitting distance of my new plateau.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2006, 05:59:44 PM »

Good evening everyone.  Could it be any hotter for crying out loud?  We had a few homeless folks call tonight to see if we could refer them to shelters so they could get out of the heat.  We sent them to city "cooling centers" instead- better chance of there actually being some AC!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2006, 06:00:21 PM »

DakotaCelt, vibes and good thoughts for you and your father.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2006, 06:00:41 PM »

DR Laura, I'm sorry for your loss.

Cillaliz

« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2006, 06:22:51 PM »

DR Laura, sorry about your friend

Jane

« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »

Cillaliz-I hope it all works out for the best with Boo.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2006, 06:46:45 PM »

Every July - must it be the same every year?  Can we not break the habit?  108 posts at seven o'clock?  I know it's hot, but since this is the coolest place in town then I'd say this is the place to be.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »

Every July - must it be the same every year?  Can we not break the habit?  108 posts at seven o'clock?  I know it's hot, but since this is the coolest place in town then I'd say this is the place to be.

and you cant blame it on Dog Days for August is still a number of days away!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2006, 06:58:01 PM »

I hope things work out for boo...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2006, 06:58:36 PM »

Sorry for your loss DR Laura...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2006, 07:06:46 PM »

Thanks for the wishes... His mood is good so that is a good sign. He is his usual cantankerous stubborn self...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2006, 07:21:43 PM »

I got in just as the downpour began!  THE LIEUTENANT OF INISHMORE has the be the funniest bloodletting play I've ever seen:  mutilated corpses, blindings, shootings, throatslittings, torture, and gallons of blood.  And it's so damned funny.  The cast is quite wonderful, and having a visit with the wonderful DR Jose was the cherry on the sundae.

My sister-in-law reported that my dad came through chemo today in good cheer and health.  Alas, my other sister-in-law aka Lady Macbeth is still stirring up trouble, spreading lies, and being a general bitch.  Now that she let her colors show on July 5, she seems intent on flaunting them and this bodes no good for any of us.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2006, 07:31:10 PM »

I want a cherry on a sundae, but I'm afraid I've been bad, what with the french fries and all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2006, 07:31:47 PM »

Whatever shall I watch this evening?  I've finished one thing, am watching the extras, and then must watch something else.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2006, 07:43:58 PM »

I've been watching the Peter Brady reality show and tonight the real Alison DuBois on whom Medium is based showed up.  Apparently she is friends with Adrienne Curry the bride to be.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2006, 07:44:17 PM »

Amazing thunder and lightning storm going on outside.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2006, 07:44:44 PM »

I am tempted to eat everything in the house, I wonder if it's the weather that's making me feel that way.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up