Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I, BKIUS  (Read 54369 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:I, BKIUS
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2006, 01:26:11 PM »

I went for a walk before lunch.  The heat wasn't unbearable, but the humidity truly took its tool on me.  I walked for about half an hour.   It took more than 90 minutes for my "internal furnace" to stop generating heat.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2006, 01:27:02 PM »

Lunch today was grilled salmon with herbed rice, steamed veggies and a nice salad (w/olive oil and lemon as a dressing).

« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 01:27:30 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2006, 01:30:55 PM »

Before I set out yesterday to see "Superman Returns" (the house was packed!), I watched the musical "Doctor Dolittle".

I had seen it on TV in the past, but never in this form.  It's a wholly different film when it's not cut all to shreds.

I rather enjoyed it, for the most part.  The music is melodious (and that's no small feat given today's tendency to feature unmelodic songs).  I'd have dropped a song or two (Crossroads of Life is way too languorous to be interesting).

I'd certainly never heard the overture/intermission/exit playout music before!

A nice surprise, that movie.

(And I wonder how amused Rex Harrison was to go from making over Eliza Doolittle to being Dr. Dolittle?)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 01:33:39 PM by Ron Pulliam »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2006, 01:34:48 PM »

Oh, George....thanks so much for sharing this info with us.

(Maybe it's the heat?)

Umm...sorry. :-\ ;) I was assuming it was the heat, but so far, she otherwise seems fine.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »

My lunch time ran very late due to friend John not arriving on time and then spending time after lunch at CompUSA while I searched for some things for his job. (He's the IT guy for the museum where he works.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2006, 01:40:21 PM »

So slim, BK...as was once said of Basil Rathbone.  "He looks like two profiles pasted together!"  

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2006, 01:40:41 PM »

"Crossroads of Life" is one of my favorite songs in DOCTOR DOLITTLE!

If I'd have dropped something, it would have been the title song in the second act.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2006, 01:43:18 PM »

When I got home, I found I did receive my Film Noir box as expected. To my surprise and delight, I also received Season 1 of MEDIUM. I didn't buy this when it was first released a few weeks ago because I felt it overpriced. MEDIUM was a mid-season show and only 16 episodes were produced that first year. To asked over $40 for 16 episodes was simply not a price I was willing to pay. On Friday, I found a used copy for less than half that, and it came today, so I knew what I was going to watch this afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2006, 01:44:57 PM »

Before I put in MEDIUM, I finshed watching "I Sing the Body Electric" from the third season of THE TWILIGHT ZONE which I had begun last night. David White (Larry Tate from BEWITCHED) played the father and among the children was Veronica Cartwright. She must have done this right before starting THE BIRDS. Anyway, she's marvelous in the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2006, 01:47:02 PM »

One nice surprise on the first disc of MEDIUM is that two versions of the pilot were available. The televised version came first followed by a choice of seeing an expanded version which, naturally, I chose. Unlike the other episodes with 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, this expanded edition of the pilot had only Dolby Surround 2.0. Otherwise, though, it's the pilot with a couple of extra scenes. What fun to see it with these extra moments.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2006, 01:48:59 PM »

Then I watched the second episode which had the full 5.1 sound. The episodes are all widescreen and enhanced, so they look and sound wonderful. (The second one dealt with Allison aiding in jury selection.)

There are also deleted scenes with each of the episodes which I also watched when I finished watching the actual episode.

They've done a good job with the package, at least what I've watched thus far.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2006, 02:02:45 PM »

Can you imagine trying to cast I, Claudius today?  Vince Vaughan?  That awful actor from Phone Booth who's now a flavor of the month?  Brad Pitt?  Julia Roberts as Livia?  I mean, the mind boggles.

I really have to figure out the food situation as I'm starving right now.  

FJL

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2006, 02:21:55 PM »

Nothing to frenzy about today, but just wanted to say hi.

FJL

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2006, 02:24:01 PM »

TOO FRIED TO FRENZY - my new article about internet activity in a room with an air conditioner that seems to be blowing out warm air

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2006, 02:38:10 PM »

Can you imagine trying to cast I, Claudius today?  Vince Vaughan?  That awful actor from Phone Booth who's now a flavor of the month?  Brad Pitt?  Julia Roberts as Livia?  I mean, the mind boggles.

Of course, they didn't cast American actors back in 1976, so I doubt they'd try it now. Colin Farrell is Irish, of course, and might be able to play, say, Germanicus. But I wouldn't mind seeing Clive Owen and Helen Mirren and Maggie Smith and Jeremy Northam and Ian McKellen try some of these parts. And Patrick Stewart is still around and could probably play something, too, though obviously not Sejanus.

Who could play Caligula now? Maybe the actor who played Cedric Diggory in the last HARRY POTTER movie (with blonde hair, of course).

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2006, 02:40:08 PM »

Bruce-you a looking good!

Jane

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2006, 02:40:56 PM »

Ginny I hope the quality of your shirt is better than mine.  I should have gotten a medium instead of a small so the fit would be a bit looser.  I don’t like the feel of the fabric against my skin.

Reminds me, I’ll see if I can post a few more photos of our trip.

Your blueberry pie sounds delicious.  I haven’t been able to get to the growers market for good blueberries and it looks like I will miss tomorrow again.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2006, 02:42:31 PM »

Off now to start on the cleaning chores for the week. Then, I think I'll watch another MEDIUM (there is one more episode on disc 1, side 1) and then probably ENTOURAGE and RENO 911 from last night.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2006, 02:55:27 PM »

Hubbard Glacier was incredible!  It is difficult for me to decide which photos best capture our experience.  

The captain was able to take the ship closer than usual.  As it was the 4th of July the glacier decided to give us a grand show with thunderous sound effects.  Calving, as it is called when hunks of ice fall off the glacier, was something to watch.  At one point I thought if one entire section were to calve at once we would be in big trouble.  Fortunately only about half of the section calved, causing a mini tidal wave & rocking the ship.  It was AWESOME!!!.  

And yes, it is sad the glaciers are melting, still it is amazing to watch.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2006, 03:02:16 PM »

The beautiful green mountain next to the glacier.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2006, 03:06:10 PM »

Overall view of Hubbard Glacier.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »

In the middle of the photo you can see the big splash from the calving.  To the right of that notice the large white area.  The white areas are where the ice has calved.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »

Who could play Caligula now?

Ioan Gruffudd could play it.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2006, 03:19:42 PM »

Unfortunately this photo doesn’t capture the mini tidal wave.  I wish I had a recording of the sounds of thunder & the tremendous splash followed by the roll of waves which rocked the ship.  It was very exciting.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2006, 03:24:01 PM »

Wow!  Those are some pictures, Jane!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2006, 03:25:27 PM »

I was going to stop and then I found a slew more from Hubbard Glacier.  This is one of my favorite photos from the trip.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2006, 03:26:15 PM »

Thanks George.  That's it- for now.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2006, 03:44:20 PM »

Oh, beautiful photos, Jane! I love the one of you and Keith!

Bruce - gonna call ya about maybe doing the reading tomorrow - do you have another actress for Jolie's part? Jolie is still outa town... sometime in the early afternoon, if I can get the Man 1? Got a Man 2 for me? Maybe I got one. Expect my call...
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2006, 03:45:47 PM »

My point is they wouldn't make it with Brits today.  They wouldn't make it at all today without tarting it up - I mean, Alexander?  Gladiator?  Troy?

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2006, 03:46:00 PM »

Awesome pictures, DR Jane!  Mind if I forward a few to my mom?  She's getting very excited about her trip.  After spending the day with her, I'm going to try not to worry about her wobbliness.  We shopped today for a new bedspread for her - found just what she wanted at Bed, Bath & Beyond and had a nice lunch at Culver's Frozen Custard.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up