Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I, BKIUS  (Read 54370 times)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
Re:I, BKIUS
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2006, 03:51:21 PM »

I'm stuck here, waiting for the frigging motorhome repairs at least until Thursday... the $$$ are mounting - it is now probable that these $$$ on repairs have exceeded the worth of said motorhome... but who's counting??? OY!
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2006, 03:52:37 PM »

Hahahahahahaaaa! Page four leaking wallet dance!!!

$$$$$$$$$
      $$$$$
         $$

$

$

$
PennyO

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2006, 04:00:44 PM »

You could find plenty of really good British actors who could do I,Claudius. Would it be as good as the one you're watching. Doubtful, maybe if they kept the same script.  The actors are out there, whether they would be the actors who would get chosen or not is another question.  The ones I'm thinking of most people over here have never heard of.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2006, 04:18:01 PM »

Thanks Penny & Ginny.

Ginny, of course not.  What is the link again for your mother's trip.  I might have some tips for her.  Please tell her we were exceptionally lucky at the glacier & weather wise in general.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2006, 04:38:58 PM »

I never thought I would be thrilled to have the weatherman predicting 86 degrees for tomorrow.  However, since that is about eight degrees cooler than today, it will be an improvement.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2006, 05:00:22 PM »

My point is they wouldn't make it with Brits today.  They wouldn't make it at all today without tarting it up - I mean, Alexander?  Gladiator?  Troy?
Since I, Claudius was a Brit TV production, I don't see why they couldn't still have the same quality as the original, no "tarting."  Sure, they might work in some effects shots, for crowds and vistas, that sort of thing, but the quality of acting is still there in England, same as it was.

Now, sure, if they wanted to make an I,C movie, then the tarting would be part of the equation, making it more of an I,C-k movie.  But can you imagine having to cut all of that rich storyline?  Ick would be right.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2006, 05:01:28 PM »

Charles and I are in agreement... again.  The universe must be out of whack.   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2006, 05:03:49 PM »

BIG HOLLYWOOD PICTURES PRESENTS

MIKE MYERS   CHRIS ROCK
OWEN WILSON

AYE-YI-YI, CLAUDIUS!

ALSO STARRING

IAN MCKELLEN     LINDSAY LOHAN     TOPHER GRACE

AND

SHIRLEY MACLAINE AS LIVIA

WRITTEN BY Nora Ephron  Joss Whedon  Steven Soderbergh  Ben Stiller   Quentin Tarantino

DIRECTED BY THE FARRELLY BROTHERS
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2006, 05:07:03 PM »

ROTFLMAO!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2006, 05:12:01 PM »

I guess I'm not being clear - I don't think they'd make this as a mini-series today.  I think it would be a film, and not a Brit film.  I think it would be close to the post above.  And even if it was made as a mini-series it WOULD be tarted up with CGI and fast editing and bombastic wall-to-wall music and hyperactive shaky camerawork.

Cillaliz

« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2006, 05:25:52 PM »

Miss USA wore the evening gown designed for her by Kayne, one of the Project Runway contestants, in last week's show:

Well, since I am just now watching that episode on NBC...guess I know who wins   :(

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2006, 05:30:55 PM »

Personally, I don't find CGI "tarting", when it is used with restraint.  And the Brit television productions I've seen have not been filled with the editing, camerawork, or bombastic music that plague so much in film these days.

Even Doctor Who's reincarnation, which is loaded with CGI as befits a sci-fi show, doesn't have that blasted-on-the-screen feel.  The first episode of the season, "Rose," starts with that fast-edit technique for a reason, to show the humdrum quality of the title character's life.  But later, when she and the Doctor leave her apartment block, they have a conversation that lasts a full minute, no edits, with the camera steadycamming from in front as they walk.  When the editor finally does step in, it's for a reason, to emphasize a point.

And this is what Brit television is doing these days, putting together shows that are intelligent and intelligently produced.  Definately not to be compared with today's films.

Cillaliz

« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2006, 05:31:15 PM »

Great Photos Jane, reminds me of my trip there back in the 80s

Cillaliz

« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2006, 05:32:22 PM »

Vibes to George's cat.  Watch her and make sure she's using her litter box. If not I'd get her to the vet

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2006, 05:33:47 PM »

My cat's are wound up like a spring that's been tightened (Applause reference) I'm hoping they'll calm down so I can put them together for awhile

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2006, 05:38:57 PM »

Time to get dinner on the table.  Nothing fancy, sloppy joes.

And then back to bed, early.  I've an early call for work tomorrow.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2006, 05:55:59 PM »

Well, since I am just now watching that episode on NBC...guess I know who wins   :(

If it is any consolation, it's not about who wins on that show as much as who gets the boot. That's always the more entertaining thing to me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2006, 05:59:41 PM »

I now get what you're saying, BK.  One of my favourite things about I, Claudius is its very stage-boundness.  It never escapes the Television studio...the sets are obviously sets, outdoors obviously indoors, they nimbly give the impressions of crowds without ever providing them.  In a word, it is a televised play.  And I wish we had more of them!  Think if everything cut expenses like locations, exteriors, expensive effects, and just concentrated on the script and the acting.  I, CLAUDIUS has held up just fine!

I'm currently watching a boxed set of Bernard Shaw plays, probably most from the early seventies, and while a few of them do exterior cutaways occasionally, most of the productions are on the set with great British actors...some very well known now....Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, Simon Callow, Nigel Davenport, Daniel Massey, Sian Phillips (the ex-Mrs. Peter O'Toole, by the by), etc...some I'm discovering for the first time and they're just superb.  Many come from an apparent series called The Play of The Month.  Wouldn't you love to have access to all those plays?  I certainly would!  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 06:01:25 PM by Charles Pogue »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2006, 06:00:01 PM »

A lot of movies watched yesterday, as TPunk mentioned, STEVIE and DECEIT, and then Nicolas Cage in an early and awesome performance in VAMPIRE'S KISS.

By myself I watched Costa-Gravas's MISSING, which I found a affecting and effective bit of muckraking.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2006, 06:19:15 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, but since DR Sandra has my camera with her in Kansas, I couldn't take any photos.

I drove up to Flagstaff, AZ, which is at 7000 ft elevation and in the pines and was nice and cool.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2006, 06:32:38 PM »

...What is the link again for your mother's trip.  I might have some tips for her.  Please tell her we were exceptionally lucky at the glacier & weather wise in general.

Jane, I just asked her today the name of her cruise line, but do you think I can remember it?  Why can I remember that my freshman year roommate in college had an older brother named Jack who was a med student, but can't remember something my mother told me this noon?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2006, 06:45:12 PM »

Commercial break- it's turning out to be a very good episode of The Closer.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2006, 07:11:56 PM »

Vibes to George's cat.  Watch her and make sure she's using her litter box. If not I'd get her to the vet

Thanks.  Her litter box usage seems to be normal.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2006, 07:13:04 PM »

Good Evening!

Another wonderful day of Finding Nemo auditions for Disneyworld.  And former DR Jason even made it to today's call, and sang quite a nice audition too.

And now...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 07:13:40 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2006, 07:15:58 PM »

-Oh - We had a nice studio with nice big windows... Alas, looking outside at the glorious weather did make us wish from time to time that we didn't have to spend all day inside.  Of course, tomorrow is supposed to be nice(e) too, and the same casting director and I will again be in auditions.  Inside.  Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2006, 07:17:29 PM »

Alas, I'm a bit too brain-fried to give a definitive answer to today's Topic of the Day.  However, any of Nancy Lamott's renditions of those composers songs would definitely be on my list.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2006, 07:18:57 PM »

Ginny-LOL.  I know the feeling.

Thanks Cillaliz.

TCB how is Angel doing?

George-is your cat better?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2006, 07:21:12 PM »

OH!!

This most definitely brought a smile to my face... And I suspect many DRs will get a kick out of this too...

-Do you know all ten of the Ten Commandments?  ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hWCJetVdaWo&search=colbert
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2006, 07:22:21 PM »

DR Jane - Gorgeous pics!

*Are you sure that it wasn't the ship being so close to the glacier that was causing the calving?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2006, 07:23:57 PM »

Enjoyed tonight's episode of The Closer. Spoilers ahead...

Of course the HIV subject matter greatly interested me.  The conclusion actually raised a lot of thoughts for me which I started to type out but I think are best kept to myself.  It's too muggy for an essay comtemplating the pros and cons of disclosure laws. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up