Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TIME SPACE CONTINUUM  (Read 37538 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE TIME SPACE CONTINUUM
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 07:41:58 AM »

Page 2, at last!!!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 07:44:25 AM »

Good morning!

It's going to be another stifling day with another one just as bad tomorrow. The weekend should be a bit better.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 07:46:12 AM »

I LOVE Sean Connery as Bond. Didn't care much for Roger Moore. Nor Lazenby, though my ex liked Lazenby enormously. I like Pierce Brosnan quite a lot, and thought T. Dalton was just a bit too emotional for the icy character. Song: You Only Live Twice sticks in my mind, sometimes for DAYS! I think GOLDFINGER was the first one I saw - the murder of a beautiful girl by gold-leafing her gave me nightmares for years. It still makes me shudder. I am a huge fan of the opening sequences.
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 07:50:16 AM »

For me, no one has ever come close to Connery as James Bond, but then, he's the one I grew up with, so of course I think he's the greatest. I have younger friends who think Roger Moore was the best Bond (I think he's the worst - by far), so there you go.

I think GOLDFINGER is the Tiffany of the Bond movies. It's got a slightly bigger budget than the first two Bonds so it's a bit more impressive production-wise. It has the best theme song, the best women, the best villains, the best story with lots of surprises.

As BK said, all the others afterwards tried to outdo it by being bigger, wider (Panavision), louder, more overstuffed, but none of the others have ever matched its appeal.

Of the other Bonds, I think Pierce Brosnan is the best, and I've enjoyed all four of his adventures even if they got worse in quality with each successive one. GOLDENEYE is my favorite Bond after the Connery ones.

I also liked both of the Bonds Timothy Dalton did and watch them fairly often, too.

The Roger Moore Bonds get the least play around my house, but I will occasionally put one on since I've seen them fewer times than the others and tend to forget what they're about.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 07:52:37 AM by Matt H. »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 07:53:27 AM »

Goldfinger; Shirley Eaton; Honor Blackman

BK, to indulge in moments of Midnight madness, I'd have to stay up until 3AM.

Aha!  That is the problem.  It is not the rest of us Wussb Haines, but it is CP's fault for moving away from the Left Coast.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 07:54:07 AM »

As for the theme songs, after "Goldfinger," I like "For Your Eyes Only," "Thunderball," "Nobody Does It Better," and "From Russia With Love."
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:03:52 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 07:55:24 AM »

I recorded THE ARISTOCRATS off HBO-HD last night and will try watching it today. Not sure I'll like it, but since it was the object of some discussion around here a few weeks ago, I'd like to see for myself what all the talk was about.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 07:56:03 AM »

Also would like to get to Tuesday night's RESCUE ME at some point today.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2006, 07:57:56 AM »

Tonight, I'm having dinner with my former partner and then he's coming back to see the Mary Martin version of PETER PAN on DVD. There is a local production here this fall, and he thinks he'd like to try for Captain Hook. I think he's all wrong for it, but since he's never seen the show (amazing, isn't it, for someone involved with theater?), he's going to see it tonight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2006, 08:15:55 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I've only been getting six hours of sleep a night this whole week - I've got to start getting eight again.  It's my own fault - I just sit at this machine until two every morning.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2006, 08:16:44 AM »

Today's Oregonian headline of note department:

Believe it or not, the accompanying article was not about ALW!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 08:16:52 AM »

Less than twenty postings until I achieve my new plateau, which will most surely be achieved this very day.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2006, 08:29:20 AM »

DR Elmore, you asked me the other day if I knew anything about future Mae West releases on DVD, and as I was curious about her, Deanna Durbin, Marlene Dietrich, and Carole Lombard, I posed the question at the HTF inquiring if anyone knew how the first  DVD sets for those ladies had sold. Here's the answer I got this morning:

<Word is that the Durbin "Sweetheart Pack", while not an out-and-out disaster, performed poorly, likely not a profitable release for Universal. The 3 "glamour" releases had far worse sales results. They'd likely be considered a minor debacle based on their sales, so I wouldn't expect another trip to that well soon.>

Very disappointing news if true. I guess I'll be keeping a close eye on my West and Dietrich laserdiscs now!

And I'll be keeping an eye out so I can burn DVD-Rs of some Durbin films I love and SPRING PARADE which I've never even seen.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:32:12 AM by Matt H. »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2006, 08:37:22 AM »

DR Elmore, you asked me the other day if I knew anything about future Mae West releases on DVD, and as I was curious about her, Deanna Durbin, Marlene Dietrich, and Carole Lombard, I posed the question at the HTF inquiring if anyone knew how the first  DVD sets for those ladies had sold. Here's the answer I got this morning:

<Word is that the Durbin "Sweetheart Pack", while not an out-and-out disaster, performed poorly, likely not a profitable release for Universal. The 3 "glamour" releases had far worse sales results. They'd likely be considered a minor debacle based on their sales, so I wouldn't expect another trip to that well soon.>

Very disappointing news if true. I guess I'll be keeping a close eye on my West and Dietrich laserdiscs now!

DR MattH, thanks so much for the update.  It's greatly appreciated.  If I live long enough, I may see KLONDIKE ANNIE and SHE DONE HIM WRONG on DVD, but there are other, perhaps more deserving, things I'm still waiting on!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:37:47 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2006, 08:41:04 AM »

It seems that the DVD division of certain studios, despite occasional excellent work and releases, just don't know what they're doing - I was discussing this very thing at my Paramount lunch yesterday, as that studio is, for me, one of the most erratic.  I suggested they hire me for one year and let me do things right.  :-)

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2006, 08:45:07 AM »

It seems that the DVD division of certain studios, despite occasional excellent work and releases, just don't know what they're doing - I was discussing this very thing at my Paramount lunch yesterday, as that studio is, for me, one of the most erratic.  I suggested they hire me for one year and let me do things right.  :-)

You are SO right. They have treasure that they're sitting on and doing nothing with. It's very frustrating. And yet they release some things that don't deserve the attention they receive.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2006, 08:47:12 AM »

Now, I'm heading down to get cleaned up for the rest of the day. I'm so used to having lunch out that to have dinner out is unique! Makes me have to rearrange my day's schedule completely.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2006, 08:48:29 AM »

And they keep releasing the same movies over and over again.  Ridiculous.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2006, 08:49:31 AM »

I mean, it's great to do a special edition of Mommie, Dearest but not to do a new transfer, to use the same bloody transfer as the older DVD is stupid and a slap in the face.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2006, 08:49:57 AM »

Fifteen more posts, baby.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2006, 09:00:18 AM »

Spirtas DVD mention up on Playbill.com

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/101106.html

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2006, 09:02:04 AM »

What I want to see on DVD is "The Uninvited" with Ray Milland.

It's amazing to me that it's not out yet.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2006, 09:02:15 AM »

JMK - Well, whatever the Oregonian says, I'll go along with it.  We in this here household love the Oregonian these days.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2006, 09:02:59 AM »

The "San Francisco Fog"is alive and kickin' and has returned us to our normally chilly selves.

We are grateful beyond words!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2006, 09:03:52 AM »

Should there be a party for BK's plateau?  Or if not that, a partay?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2006, 09:04:51 AM »

Tonight's Big Brother show should prove interesting.  Of more interest than who gets evicted is who will win power.  Many changes may be on the horizon:

For MBarnum -- it's not the best screen capture ever...but it will give you an idea of how Kaysar looks now that he's had his head shaved (by Marcellas):

FJL

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2006, 09:05:27 AM »

We're celebrating BK's plateau with braised short ribs, which are cooking right now.  Kind of a plateau platter.

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2006, 09:07:55 AM »

And they keep releasing the same movies over and over again.  Ridiculous.  

that is what drives me nutty! For instance at Universal they are releasing DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN for the 3rd time, but all but ignoring their treasure trove of other Universal classics such as their westerns, sci-fi and dramas from the 30s through the 50s!

Of all the studios, Universal is the one that has the most films I want to see! It wouldn't be so bad it they were at least shown on TV so that I could tape them, but none of the channels seem to be showing Universal's stuff at this time.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2006, 09:12:16 AM »

I watched the head shaved Kaysar last night on Tuesday's tape episode...he looks good no matter what.

I got such a kick out of Marcellas talking about his crush/love for Kaysar! LOL!

SPOILER (to those who may not be caught up on BB all stars)

Although both evicties are dangerous to others in the house, I do hope that Jase stays for awhile longer...Dr. Will's lack of enthusiasm, even if it is his strategy, is tiring to me....even though his speech about not liking anyone in the house did crack me up.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2006, 09:13:01 AM »

I am interested in the Will Rogers set of DVDs I read about. STEAMBOUT ROUND THE BEND is a hilarious gem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up