Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MERRY MONDAY NOTES  (Read 20859 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE MERRY MONDAY NOTES
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2003, 09:54:08 AM »

Emily, we are fighting a losing battle.  We've been through these times before -  people come, people go, like Grand Hotel.  Plus two of our prolific posters are out of town.  It's all fine, oh, yes, it is all fine.

On another note (Ab) who wants to have a live chat this evening?  If there are enough then we'll do it.

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2003, 09:59:41 AM »

And there are plenty of nice honest people who won Survivor, including Tina and Ethan. I think Lil made a huge mistake by turning on her alliances every time she "thought" they might betray her.

But you have to admit, every time Lill thought her alliances were betraying her she was correct! And if she hadn't turned she wouldn't have made it as far as she did. I don't think she did anything that the others didn't do.

I agree, she was a little negative at times and that might have played against her to a point.

I agree with you Ron...I hope never to have to see Jon and his anti-female egotistical buck toothed peace sign hand signal strutting being ever again...he just disgusted me.....but he did make things entertaining! LOL!

It was a good Survivor season!

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2003, 10:01:17 AM »

I actually ended up watching the season two finale of Alias last night.  It was not what I thought it would be, although I still think they will go where I predict they'll go at some point - there were definitely subtle clues all during season two if one is looking in that direction.  I thought the ending was okay - a necessary deux ex machina and I'm sure they'll have fun explaining it all very quickly (actually, they HAVE done so - does anyone tape this series?).  The fact is, I thought that episode thirteen was much more fun, surprise-wise - that one had even me scratching my head.

Okay how pathetic am I? But I was so excited for you to see the finale of Season 2. Such an unexpected and exciting ending. And Season 3 is even better.

Did they repeat the season opener of Season 3 last night?

I'm not sure what episode 13 was, can you remind me?

Btw, is there anybody on here who would object to BK talking about season two shows. I mean I don't consider is a spoiler since the shows are MANY months old.  Couldn't we just put ALIAS SEASON TWO SPOILERS at the top, and anyone who wanted to skip it could.

Btw2, it also kills me that I can't talk about Season 3 on here (but I wouldn't want to spoil it for Bruce, and it is his site) :)

Recipe, recipe. I do not know what I could post.  Since I am doing low carb I'm not sure how much I want to write up some fancy delicious recipe.  I do have one cheesecake that is low carb. Maybe i'll post that one!

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2003, 10:02:54 AM »

Emily, we are fighting a losing battle.  We've been through these times before -  people come, people go, like Grand Hotel.  Plus two of our prolific posters are out of town.  It's all fine, oh, yes, it is all fine.

On another note (Ab) who wants to have a live chat this evening?  If there are enough then we'll do it.

Hey don't be mad that people are extra busy this time of year. I don't even celebrate Christmas, but I was really busy all weekend.

Can't do chat, it's my dad's birthday today, and his party is tonight :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2003, 10:06:52 AM »

Season two SPOILER AHEAD:
Episode thirteen was the one in which everything changed in terms of what was happening with the Alliance and introduced the double.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2003, 10:10:02 AM »

Okay as the resident Alias expert let me just say the Season Two finale is nothing anyone could predict :)

I'm sorry...who decided you were the resident "expert" on "Alias"?

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2003, 10:11:30 AM »

SURVIVOR RESPONSES

But you have to admit, every time Lill thought her alliances were betraying her she was correct! And if she hadn't turned she wouldn't have made it as far as she did. I don't think she did anything that the others didn't do.

I agree, she was a little negative at times and that might have played against her to a point.

I think she played the jury all wrong. You want to make them like you. Saying, "i was told by 3 people that they would take me to the final 3, yet all of you betrayed me" is not the way to get votes :)

Also I disagree with what you wrote above. She was not right that those people were going to betray her.  For example on last night's show she was aligned with Darrah.  Then Lil said to Darrah, "will you definitely take me to the finals". And D said she wasn't sure.

Lil freaked out.Now do you think Jon or Sandra would have taken Lil to the finals? No. Darrah was being honest. She wasn't sure what she would do. So basically Lil was wanting her to lie.

It was only after Lil freaked out (once again) that Darrah realized she had to approach Jon and Sandra.

It was the same thing that happened last week. Burton wouldn't promise her the finals (when she asked him on the spot) so she turned on them.

Basically she was rewarding the liars. That is JMO.

I agree with you Ron...I hope never to have to see Jon and his anti-female egotistical buck toothed peace sign hand signal strutting being ever again...he just disgusted me.....but he did make things entertaining! LOL!

Do you really think that is how Jon is? Of course not. He was acting. He wanted to play the villain. I thought he was hilarious. And I was happy to see grandma at the finale.

But I was very surprised that not a single cast member faulted him for that drama. It was funny/or mean for us. But we didn't live the pain. Those tribe members were so upset for him. I really thought Lil would be mad.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2003, 10:14:52 AM »

I'm sorry...who decided you were the resident "expert" on "Alias"?

Is addict a better term? :)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2003, 10:19:51 AM »

DR Ron wrote yesterday:I'm confused. I thought you loved Lil and wanted her to win? You were defending her last week. And now you hate her? :)

I think you jumped to a wild conclusion, Jennifer.  I defended Lill against the ranting about her betraying an alliance.  I've despised her since she stabbed Rupert in the back.

But my defense of her decision to deceive Jon and Burton didn't mean squat about whether I like her or not.  I just dislike her less than the odious Burton and Jon, both of whom betrayed and betrayed and betrayed.

But you never were able to see that because of your feelings for Burton.  That's ME jumping to a conclusion.  

But Lill, even later in the studio, continued to besmirch the BSA by wearing that uniform.  She doesn't look good in it.   I'm not sure she'd look very good in anything now.

Jon and Burton got EXACTLY what they deserved -- n-o-t-h-i-n-g.  

What I find d-i-s-t-u-r-b-i-n-g is your embracing Burton and Jon despite the anti-female, chauvinistic things they said about women.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 10:22:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2003, 10:20:27 AM »

I love how often the term "studying" becomes defined as "reading HHW posts and glaring at my archaeology notes every now and then"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 10:20:49 AM by Ann »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2003, 10:21:43 AM »

btw, chat tonight would work for me...but I have a final from 4 to 6, so I might be a few minutes late

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2003, 10:21:56 AM »

Oh, my gosh Jennifer, Jon just made me sick. I think he is really like that...of course I could be wrong. I haven't watched all of the reunion yet, so I don't know what everyones reaction to him was.

Lill was one of my favorites so that is why I am more able to look past any of the bad stuff! LOL!

I still wish Andrew would have lasted longer, though.

Now I can't wait for the all-star Survivor! That is gonna be fun!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2003, 10:24:44 AM »

Confession - I have not watched a full episode of Survivor...ever.  This season I can honestly say I have not watched even part of an episode.  Am I still worthy to post here? :)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2003, 10:24:48 AM »

LOL, Ann!  I have my sociology exam later today....but I don't have to study for a few more hours.  I just keep thinking to myself, after this week, it will all be over.  Liberation.  Freedom.  The right to be lazy all I choose.

WB, Jason!  I'm glad your show went well and I'm glad you're back!   :)

Chat tonight should be fine for me.  

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2003, 10:26:59 AM »

MBarnum is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

Jon even admitted it on TV -- what we saw of him is pretty much the way he is.  And he described himself as an "a-hole" which is about the most honest thing he's ever said!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 10:51:33 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2003, 10:27:01 AM »

Oh...I don't know any recipes!  Sorry!

What's more, baby, I CAN'T cook.  My mom has insisted upon giving me a 3-day crash course in basic cooking before I leave for college.  As it stands, I know how to make boiled eggs and Ramen noodles.  That's about it.  

Kurt

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2003, 10:29:27 AM »

Well. . . my goodness me. . . stay away long enoughand everything gets changed. . .oh the humanity. . .

Hey -- here's a good idea: Throw a cup or so of cranberry/orange relish and a handful of golden raisins into your basic apple pie recipe. . . a holiday flav-o-rite of mine.
He came late and left early.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2003, 10:30:03 AM »

Now I can't wait for the all-star Survivor! That is gonna be fun!

I cannot wait either. And premiering it right after the Superbowl will be great for its ratings.

Okay here is my LOW CARB cheesecake recipe:

Cappuccino Cholate chink cheesecake (suzanne somers recipe):

2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese
1/2 cup of sugar (or use 12 packets of sweetner)
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup of decaf coffee
4 ounces of dark chocolate (i've used choc chips)
3 cups sour cream

preheat oven to 350F

Beat cream cheese and sugar until very smooth. Add eggs, beating after each addition. Add vanilla, salt and decaf and chocolate. Beat in sour cream until just blended.

Don't blend too much.

Pour batter into a pan (i've used the round cheesecake pans with the sides that come off).  Sprinkle broken chocolate (or chips) on the top.

Set the pan in a large roasting pan and surround with 1 inch of very hot water. Bake for 45 minutes.

Turn off the oven and let cake cool for 1 hour (don't open the door, leave cake in oven).

This is actually quite good for a very low carb dessert.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 10:37:48 AM by Jennifer »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2003, 10:34:08 AM »

Who is this knockout person??  Welcome to them, whoever they are...

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2003, 10:35:11 AM »

Confession - I have not watched a full episode of Survivor...ever.  This season I can honestly say I have not watched even part of an episode.  Am I still worthy to post here? :)

Hey, I know you're joking. But of course you are (worthy to post).
In fact I'm quite sure you are in the majority on this board.

I guess I just wish that people here would be happy and let people post on any topic, without making them feel badly (and DR Ann, I'm totally NOT talking about you).

Have a good afternoon everyone. I gotta run.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2003, 10:38:42 AM »

For a Holiday Treat (good from Halloween through Christmas, or at any time you crave it):

Pumpkin-Walnut Cheesecake

Crust:

1 ½ cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 45 wafers)
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
¼ cup sugar
6 tablespoons melted butter or margarine

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.  Press firmly into bottom and halfway up sides of 10-inch springform pan.

Filling:

3 8-ounce packages of cream cheese, softened
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
5 eggs
¼ cup heave cream
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 16-ounce can pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the cheese and sugars together.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
Stir in cream, spices and pumpkin.  
Pour into prepared cheesecake pan.  
Bake for one hour.

Topping:

6 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
(garnish as desired)

While cheesecake is baking, prepare topping.
Place margarine or butter in a large bowl, add brown sugar and cream together.
Stir in walnuts.
When filling is out of oven, gently dot with small pieces of topping, being careful not to deflate the cheesecake.  Return cheesecake to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Cool completely, then refrigerate overnight.
Remove springform ring just before serving and garnish as desired.
Yield: At least 12 servings.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2003, 10:42:58 AM »

Anyone can post on any topic and be happy.  For example, I am posting on this topic and I am happy.  I am a happy poster as I type my dissertation on the state of bliss.  Conversely, you can post on any topic and be sad.  For example, I am posting on this topic and I am sad.  

Welcome to knockout and all the other recent registered lurkers who have yet to join our merry troupe in our happy and sad postings of various and sundried topics.  

I feel that Mr. Charles Pogue should tell us how the rest of the partay was.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2003, 10:46:38 AM »

DR Maya: I think you should take your mother up on her offer. It is a very good thing, to know how to cook, at least the basics.  Or just look through some cookbooks or recipe websites (i like allrecipes.com) and try a few things.

Hmmm, I have never tried pumpkin cheesecake. I wonder what that would taste like. Although this might seem really dumb, but where would one get pumpkin at this time of year?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2003, 10:50:01 AM »

Well - my goodness - exactly how do you get Miss June Wilkinson to attend a party at your house.  I had great respect for DR MR CHARLES POGUE before but now ....  WOW!!!!

And Mr BK what exactly was daffy about your conversation with Ms Wilkinson.....did she not have any views on Sadaam Hussein's capture?

Adn I am afraid I am NOT a cook or preparer of food - so I will give you the only holiday recipe I know:

1 Bag of Peanut M&M's
1 Box of Goldfish

Mix in a bowl, serve.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2003, 10:50:15 AM »

I guess I just wish that people here would be happy and let people post on any topic, without making them feel badly (and DR Ann, I'm totally NOT talking about you).

This is an intriguing comment.  

Are you saying you wish folks would not respond to some of your opinions with different ones from yours?

Are you saying you wish you could just say whatever you want without anyone commenting on it?

Or do you mean that you feel people are trying to squelch certain topics from being discussed?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 10:57:51 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Kurt

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2003, 10:51:20 AM »

Hadn't EVer watched Survivor before and somehow got suckered into it. . .does this kind of crap ensue EVery episode/season?

And did you notice their legs!? !? Bug bites on bug bites. Euuugh
He came late and left early.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2003, 10:52:26 AM »

Welcome to new DR Knockout, who I assume is either very physically prepossessing or into boxing.  Or both.  ;)

Jennifer--yes, I agree that it's a good idea to learn to cook.  Just the basics.  Once I am independently wealthy (that sounds so much better and less snooty than "rich," doesn't it?) I intend to order take-out and go out to restaurants every night!

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2003, 10:52:55 AM »

Ann, there is still time to become a Survivor fan! LOL! We can convert you!

I don't really have any recipes to share, but some of those posted sound yummy...we should have a giant HHW pot-luck I think!

JRand53, what are you watching on your day-home-from-work-sick day??

I have a million
Eebay and Nehaflix.com items on there way to my house very soon. I hope they all arrive today!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2003, 10:56:52 AM »

Bride of the Gorilla!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2003, 11:00:04 AM »

Actually, knockout, we do like to use names here, so tell us yours, won't you?

Miss June Wilkinson held forth on many topics including Sadaam.  She invited me to come to her very own home, and asked for a copy of the Kritzer books, which I will happily give her.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up