Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MERRY MONDAY NOTES  (Read 20856 times)

Kurt

Re:THE MERRY MONDAY NOTES
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2003, 11:02:58 AM »

Oh, my apologies. . . call me Kurt, and I will update my bio/profile/preferences.

Call me Peggy and see where it gets you. . .
He came late and left early.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2003, 11:04:09 AM »

If a more traditional type of cheesecake is your preference, I offer this lovely recipe:

Waldorf-Astoria Cheese Cake

Crust:

1 cup sifted enriched flour
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
½ cup butter
1 slightly beaten egg yolk
¼ teaspoon vanilla

Combine, flour, sugar and lemon peel.  Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Add egg yolk and vanilla.  Blend thoroughly.  Pat 1/3 of dough on bottom of 9-inch spring form pan with sides removed.  Bake 6 minutes at F 400 until golden.  Cool.  Butter sides of pan and attach to bottom.  Pat remaining dough evenly on sides.

Cheese Filling:

5 8-ounce packages cream cheese
¼ teaspoon vanilla
¾ teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 ¾ cups sugar
3 tablespoons enriched flour
¼ teaspoon salt
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
¼ cup heavy cream

Stir cheese to soften; beat until fluffy.  
Add vanilla and lemon peel.  
Mix sugar, flour and salt;  gradually blend into cheese.  
Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating well after each.  
Gently stir in cream.  
Turn into crust-lined pan.  
Bake 5 minutes at F 500.  
Reduce oven heat to F 200 and bake 2 hours longer.

Cream Topping (optional):

1 point fresh thick sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla
(Mix and pour on top of cake.  Bake 5 minutes longer at F 475).

Cool at least four hours in refrigerator before removing sides.  Cake can be topped with either fruit or toasted almonds, if desired.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2003, 11:05:01 AM »

Oh, my apologies. . . call me Kurt, and I will update my bio/profile/preferences.

Call me Peggy and see where it gets you. . .

Well, ummm.....gee.

What kind of "knockout" are you, Kurt?  or..Peggy?

Tomovoz

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2003, 11:07:21 AM »

DR Ann. You are not alone. Lifestyle and Reality TV rule here in Oz and I do not watch any of them. To each his own.
Welcome "knockout".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2003, 11:10:24 AM »

Hmmm, I have never tried pumpkin cheesecake. I wonder what that would taste like. Although this might seem really dumb, but where would one get pumpkin at this time of year?

I don't know about Canada, but here in the USA, we normally find 16-oz cans of pumpkin puree (or pumpkin pack -- just pure pumpkin ready for a pie) in the grocery stores and supermarkets in the canned foods section.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 11:26:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Kurt

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2003, 11:11:47 AM »

Oh, I should know better than to attemp to be clevah. . . . Forgive me, willya, huh? huh? willya?

I have been handed the first of the Kritzer books. . . I SWEAR I am now available to actually read a book, having devoured Ted Chapin's recent delicious tome.

Kurt

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2003, 11:14:13 AM »

Well, ummm.....gee.

What kind of "knockout" are you, Kurt?  or..Peggy?

It's really a  rather stupid mnemonic device: my initials are KO and it just happened that I used it for my freebie e-mail.

See. . .  not very clevah, eh?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2003, 11:18:02 AM »

Welcome Kurt!  Or knockout,if you prefer :)  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2003, 11:18:23 AM »

Hey, I hit 200 posts! Cool :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 11:18:36 AM by Ann »

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2003, 11:19:06 AM »

Welcome Knockout Kurt! Hope you will enjoy it here...or had you been here before..well, either way have fun!

As there are some DRs who are definately NOT fans of so called reality shows, I am curious as to what everyone considers reality shows? Personally I think of shows like SURVIVOR, BIG BROTHER, THE AMAZING RACE, etc. to be in the game show catagory. Or you could consider game shows to be in the realitly show catagory. Either way it would be pretty hard to lump all "reality" shows together as there is such a variety...everything from QUEEN FOR A DAY and TO TELL THE TRUTH to QUEER EYE to WHO WANT'S TO BE A MILLIONAIR to and on and on. Some I like, some I love, and some I detest..just like sitcoms, or dramas, or stage plays, or books. If you generalize too much you might miss out on some good entertainment (or save yourself some wasted hourse watching!).

One of the attractions I have to some of these shows is that I like to see how people react to other people when thrown into certain unusual circumstances.

Jason

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2003, 11:22:26 AM »

OK. I've slept. Thanks for the 'welcome backs' and interest in the show. As I said, it went pretty well for only having about 25 hours of rehearsal. I'm not lying! All of the principles were out-of-towners, but the rest of the cast was comprised of locals (translated: This was a community theatre production), so they could only rehearse from 5-10 in the evening. That was a little bizarre--the rest of us would stay in the motel watching HBO ("Angels in America" is quite stunning--I wish I'd gotten to see the whole thing) and sleeping until 2 and then we'd be off to rehearse for a couple of hours and then it was time to go home again! Too weird. Anyway, we ended up performing the show in a high school auditorium because their normal performance space was being renovated, so we had limited resources for costume space, lighting and scenery. The four-piece orchestra was stuck in a corner backstage with no monitors because all of the channels on the soundboard were used up with body mics, so they could never really hear anything we were doing and vice-versa. It was definitely a lesson in listening.

The cast were all very nice, which made up for their lack of experience--sort of. The lady who played Mrs. Fezziwig nearly killed me every night during our number. She had obviously never had any dance training (the choreography wasn't difficult step-wise--it was just very athletic) and she would whip me around like a rag doll while I was trying to sing and stay on my feet. At the end of the song, on the "button," she would sit on my knee and we would form a tableau, but toward the end of the week, she would sit on my knee and put her head on mine, completely covering my face with her mob cap and mugging like you've never seen a person mug before. Well, I wasn't about to have that amateur upstage me at the end of my big number, so I got in the habit of yanking her off of me before she had the opportunity to block my visage. It was all very "All About Eve" and I was so over her by the end that I didn't even say goodbye to her. Bitchy? Yes. Justified? Absolutely. ;)

The day that I got to my first rehearsal (Sunday, about an hour after I got off the bus), I found out that I would not only be playing Mr. Fezziwig, but Topper, Mr. Jollygoode (one of the charity collectors) AND I would be understudying the Ghost of Christmas Present! And get this...I had to go on for Christmas Present on Tuesday--both shows! (Did I mention we were doing two to three shows a day? Well, we were.) I got paid an extra $100 for it, so that was fine by me, and the director said he was truly impressed with my "real" voice and my ability to pick up another person's role so easily without rehearsal, so hopefully that means I'll be working with him again. He's a really nice guy, and seems to know what he's doing, so we'll see. He said something about "next time," so that's a good sign.

I could write a book about some of the characters I met while in West Virginia. There was a very unfortunate fourteen year old girl who was in the thick of her awkward stage, and she developed a crush on me. She had the most unnaturally orange hair I've ever seen in my life, which she tied in a knot on the top of her head that added an extra six inches to her height. She had braces and beady little blue eyes, and every time I had to grab her hand in my song it truly made me nauseous because it felt as if she had just dipped her hand in a toilet bowl--cold and wet. BLEH! She was a sweet girl, but definitely awkward. And someone needed to tell her not to tuck her blue jeans into her knee-high black hooker boots. That's all I'm saying.

Then there was the woman who played the Ghost of Christmas Past. She was also a wonderfully sweet woman, but she was a little on the obese side and wasn't really able to bend her knees. She would waddle and shuffle her way around, trying to learn a British accent (which turned out to be a strange combination of Scottish and West Virginian), smiling all the while. My only problem with her was trying to get past her when we had quick changes--she would walk offstage at a snail's pace, blocking all the traffic behind her, and even though we were all whisper-screaming "WE'VE GOT QUICK CHANGES! COMIN' THROUGH!," she would waddle and shuffle and look around incredulously, and then be surprised when we would run past her like we were in the Kentucky Derby as soon as she got through the door. One day she came up to me and said, "You know, you're so funny in that one scene, and I have no idea what to do during that number, so I think I'm going to do what you're doing cause I think it's just so GRAYT!" Oy.

I won't tell all the tales today. I'll save some for you. I did manage to get some pictures, and I'll try to get them developed ASAP, so be prepared. Now I'm off to the post office to find out where the heck my stuff is...wish me luck.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2003, 11:23:26 AM »

Is addict a better term? :)

:)

Yes, "addict" is much-preferred and non-disputable, too .  

;D

Diane

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2003, 11:23:37 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good Afternoon Everyone![/move]

I happen to live with the greatest baker in the world so I very rarely cook anymore ;)

I have heard amazing things about DR Noel's Apple Pie Recipe..I might have to try that one.
I LOVE A Piano....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2003, 11:24:19 AM »

Welcome Kurt!  Who was wise enough to hand you Benjamin Kritzer?  We hope you'll become a regular denizen here at haineshisway.com.

Why is everyone hitting their posts?  Ann just hit two hundred of hers - how do you suppose those damnable posts feel?

Should we chat or should we not chat, that is the question.

Diane

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2003, 11:28:12 AM »

Jason: What a drama! You gotta love working with the locals :P
I LOVE A Piano....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2003, 11:28:46 AM »

It was ME ME ME who borrowed The Evil Kurt the BENJAMIN KRITZER....yes you all know The Evil Kurt....he was most recently in MOBY DICK!!!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2003, 11:29:46 AM »

Well, BK, would you prefer we batted our posts?

I am personally batting 1,038 with this one!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 11:30:04 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2003, 11:30:06 AM »

Chat would be okay with me tonight.....one vote for.  And by all means, you MUST go to Miss June Wilkinson's house and see if she has any of her MACUMBA LOVE icons hanging on the wall....if so...LOOK OUT!!

Then again she could just keep you up doing the TWIST ALL NIGHT!

Diane

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2003, 11:30:38 AM »

Wecome Kurt! I'm sure you will be very happy here..

BK: Chatting sounds lovely! What time will it begin?
I LOVE A Piano....

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2003, 11:30:54 AM »

Quote from: Jennifer on Today at 10:35:11am
I guess I just wish that people here would be happy and let people post on any topic, without making them feel badly (and DR Ann, I'm totally NOT talking about you).

DR RON responded:
This is an intriguing comment.  

Are you saying you wish folks would not respond to some of your opinions with different ones from yours?

No.  Actually I prefer it when people have different opinions than mine. I don't want everyone to agree with me. That would be boring.

I guess i just wish that we could have intelligent discussions and not think that just because someone disagrees with us that they are wrong.

Ron I am sorry if I upset you today. Or if you think that I was misinterpreting your opinion. That was not my intention.  I just want to have a discussion, where we respect everyone's opinions (i'm not saying you don't).

DR Ron also said:
Are you saying you wish you could just say whatever you want without anyone commenting on it?

Again, no.  I like when people comment on what I say. It shows that people are reading it :)

And I don't wish I could say ANYTHING. I think we have to have some control.

DR Ron:
Or do you mean that you feel people are trying to squelch certain topics from being discussed?

Personally, I think that anybody should feel WELCOME to discuss any topic that is of interest to them. I don't think that others should make them feel guilty or bad about doing so.

I try to be kind to everyone.  And to be honest, I think it's disgusting, to make people feel bad about what they are posting, when their posts are trying to be kind and considerate (when I say bad, I mean drastic reductions in karma, or just saying that certain topics shouldn't be discussed).

I try to be upbeat. And I am generally a positive person. But I cannot say that I have felt very welcome here today.  

Now, I really gotta go. Too much do to. I will try to check back here later.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 11:44:50 AM by Jennifer »

Jason

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2003, 11:33:57 AM »

Kurt!! A fellow MOBY alumnus! I'm the one on the cast recording who couldn't find his starting pitch just before "Ahab...Ahab...More time to kill but your time's near..." Yes, I was the whale. Russell Ochocki told me some wonderful things about your production, and I got to see some video clips and I must say it was exactly what it needed to be. You guys were great and I think you should be very proud of your work in it. VERY proud.

Diane: I know there are probably a ton of Dianes in New York, but are you the one that I know? Do you work for an agency on 54th Street? Do I know you from the AOL Theatre Chat room?? Did I spend a weekend with you in Washington, DC--dining with Matt Bogart and Jaqui Piro and meeting DR Jose? If you're not that Diane, it's OK. Either way, welcome!

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2003, 11:35:56 AM »

I don't believe I can make chat this evening as I have a date (see good things do happen once you turn 40!) and I don't know that I will be back home by 6pm (unless it is a really bad date!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2003, 11:40:02 AM »

Fine, we'll chat at six.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2003, 11:41:50 AM »

I don't know about Canada, but here in the USA, we normally find 16-oz cans of pumpkin puree (or pumpkin pack -- just pure pumpkin ready for a pie) in the grocery stores and supermarkets in the canned foods section.

Yes probably we have that too.

Do you wanna hear how dumb I am? :)
For some reason why I saw "pumpkin" I automatically thought of fresh pumpkins, which obviously aren't available now.

Gosh cheesecakes are my favorite, especially cherry :(

Kurt

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2003, 11:43:23 AM »

Ah, Jason. . . Moby was. . .  

Naah. . . Simply cannot go into it. Let's talk of cookies and pies rather than ham and eggs.

My mom made a terrific little cookie from graham crackers and the usual mix of butter, sugar and nuts -- poured the melted mixture over the crackers, baked the things a while then removed them from the cookie sheet quickly on their exit from the oven. They crisp up nicely and are rather toffee-y. Anyone know these little charmers?

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2003, 11:48:54 AM »

Okay one more quick comment.

I wrote:
Is addict a better term?

:)

Yes, "addict" is much-preferred and non-disputable, too .  

;D

The funny thing is I didn't even mean expert the way it sounded.  I'm not sure what I meant to write.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2003, 11:50:14 AM »

DR KURT you already have two Karma points.

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2003, 11:59:11 AM »

Hey Kurt is in your part of the country JRand53!

Where is Lulu?

Diane

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2003, 12:17:35 PM »

Jason, No, I'm not that Diane=-) Although from the description of your DC weekend I wish I was, lol. I'm starving actress Diane who temps currently and lives in the ghetto <grin>
I LOVE A Piano....

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2003, 12:27:08 PM »

Confession - I have not watched a full episode of Survivor...ever.  This season I can honestly say I have not watched even part of an episode.  Am I still worthy to post here? :)

Which means you've seen more of Survivor than I have!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up