Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FIXING THE BRAIN  (Read 18007 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:FIXING THE BRAIN
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 08:04:53 AM »

As for Jane Russell, I think she is much less talented than others of her era. I did enjoy her in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES but disliked her intensely in GENTLEMEN MARRY BRUNETTES (where she inherited the dimwit role from Marilyn in BLONDES though not playing the same character. She just isn't talented enough to pull off playing an airhead.)

I liked her in SON OF PALEFACE more than in the original THE PALEFACE. And I liked FOXFIRE, too, though it's been many years since I saw it.

I have to admit I haven't seen all of her films so there may be some gems out there I haven't gotten to. The latest Warners Noir box has a Mitchum-Russell film in it I'm looking forward to seeing, but I have'nt opened the set yet. Waiting to finish the MOTOs before I get to it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 08:07:58 AM »

Page Two Grumpy Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »

Looking forward to enjoying FORBIDDEN PLANET again this afternoon. Tonight will be MR. AND MRS. SMITH before a new episode of RESCUE ME comes on.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 08:27:26 AM »

Guess I'll head down now and do a bit of reading before beginning lunch preparation.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2006, 08:40:52 AM »

Yes, Gable is wonderful in "Band of Angels".  Ditto in "Soldier of Fortune", "The Tall Men," "Run Silent, Run Deep."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2006, 08:43:13 AM »

Jane Russell's "Dorothy" in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" is a classic comedy performance.

I think she was typically miscast due to her physical attributes.  She had a way with a line....and if it was the right line, it would lay waste all pretenders.

I'm rather sorry that her last work of mass exposure was the work she did for cross-your-heart bras.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2006, 08:44:59 AM »

Doesn't elmore have a show to start orchestrating?

Is Stephen Cole now the composer of Night Of The Hunter?  Who is watching out for Claibe, who is not here to say anything?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2006, 09:09:18 AM »

Favourite Jane Russell movie has to be HIS KIND OF WOMAN with Bob Mitchum, an hilarious Vincent Price as a ham actor, and the a malevolent Raymond Burr.  

Favourite Gable:  I like Gable but for a man who was considered The King of Hollywood, it's rather amazing how few truly great films he did.  He's terrific in GONE WITH THE WIND, a very good film, no matter how many people now want to turn a politically correct nose up at it.  He's wonderful in IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT, I like him with Sophia Loren in IT STARTED IN NAPLES.  I like him in ACROSS THE WIDE MISSOURI.  I actually like him in most things I see him in, but I don't find most of the movies those that I want to see over and over again.

FJL

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2006, 09:12:48 AM »

Visited my friend Michael in the hospital yesterday, where his recovery from his stroke is going very well.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2006, 09:13:15 AM »

Tuesday greetings!

TOD - Nothing to add.  Aside from Gone with the Wind (which I prefer in book form), I could not think of a single film for either person until other DRs started mentioning them.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2006, 09:14:10 AM »

Congrats to Michael Shayne on being the Trivia high winner.

FJL

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2006, 09:14:41 AM »

Continued vibes to vixmom.

FJL

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2006, 09:19:41 AM »

Saw a show at the fringe last night, or at least the first act of one.  No problem with the show, really, but the seats were so cramped and the rows so close together than I was in physical pain even though I was on the aisle.  

Ben

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2006, 09:59:24 AM »

So, Larry, if you're going to The Fantasticks on Sunday will you still be coming to Fred and Skip's?

FJL

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2006, 10:04:16 AM »

I see the show times for THE FANTASTICKS for this Sunday are 3:30 and 7:30, so that means the matinee (which vixmom will be attending) will be over about 5:45.  

Larry, are you seeing the matinee or evening performance on Sunday?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2006, 10:29:13 AM »

I very much enjoyed yesterday's Yin and Yang comedy routine. I fell off my chair laughing. I was reminded of another comedy excerpt that BK posted once, but I can't get the search feature to work.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2006, 10:40:24 AM »

I saw Yin & Yang in concert once.  I dunno.  Did nothing for me.  I guess they lost something in translation.  Oh, maybe that was the problem...it wasn't translated; the show was in its original Chinese.  Though their famous Rickety Rickshaw bit was fairly amusing, because it  was mostly no words. How did Yang get his right leg to do that, anyway?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2006, 11:01:34 AM »

I so envy you, Pogue.  To have seen them in CONCERT!  I'm now obsessed with them and am hoping to get a video of one of their routines - if not, an audio tape.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2006, 11:31:20 AM »

RE:  Ms. Wang's displeasure at lack of reader comments.

I'm glad she was so solicitous of BK's feelings about not having the routine mentioned.

She should be aware that many folks believe that if they have nothing positive to say about something, they feel they should say nothing at all.

Chastising them for not commenting upon something about which they had nothing to say isn't going to change how they feel...except to anger them, perhaps.

I, personally, do not get a charge out of comedy routines, per se.  I enjoy a good act.  But when it's over, I'm done with it.

That's me.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 11:34:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2006, 11:36:45 AM »

. . .
Yesterday, I transferred Joe Gage's "Working Man" Trilogy to dvd-r   :-X
And the reason you didn't include the trilogy as part of your Desert Island DVD list is because...????

(Hey, at least I included KCTC!!!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

LiangWang

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2006, 11:45:24 AM »

To all who commented favorably on the comedy team of Yin and Yang, I am most appreciative.  I am LiangWang, granddaughter of Yang Wang, and I'm very happy that a person known as bk discovered my father and his wonderful partner, P. Yin.  Rickety Rickshaw was one of my father's favorites.  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2006, 11:50:47 AM »

BK, I think Yin and Yang did the Rickety Rickshaw bit on Sullivan once.  When Yang did his leg bit the audience howled with laughter. I still have no idea how he did that with his leg.  Man, it looked like it hurt.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 12:00:23 PM »

So, Larry, if you're going to The Fantasticks on Sunday will you still be coming to Fred and Skip's?

Yep!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2006, 12:01:14 PM »

I see the show times for THE FANTASTICKS for this Sunday are 3:30 and 7:30, so that means the matinee (which vixmom will be attending) will be over about 5:45.  

Larry, are you seeing the matinee or evening performance on Sunday?

Matinee.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2006, 12:02:25 PM »

The Rod Man is back from Ohio.

Sorry I can't make the gig tonight but if you plan any other performances let us know and perhaps we can see you.

BTW, are you and TPunk going to Fred and Skip's on Sunday?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2006, 12:14:47 PM »

Hiya Ben!
No problem-o. Yes, I am back from Ohio. We had tough times on our flight out there, sitting on the runway for 3 hrs. And rough times on the way back, a sick passenger, and a two-hour wait for our luggage. But the time in Ohio itself was fun. Weather was very pleasant. Nieces and nephews kept me busy. Friend's wedding in Bowling Green was a hoot.

Yes, we do plan on attending FJL's event.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:19:01 PM by Rodzinski »

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 12:15:07 PM »

Back from San Francisco where I helped DD move into her new apartment. While there I visited a small park in Chinatown which features a statue of Yin and Yang. I threw a penny over my shoulder into the open mouth of Yang, then twirled around three times while singing "Have a Goldstone, Mr. Eggroll" - a local custom. They say that if you do this during a full moon, you will have a lucky year. There was no full moon, but what the heck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2006, 12:16:29 PM »

Tonight, the gig. It is weird to play without having had a rehearsal for several days, so I hope we can recapture our magic.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2006, 12:17:11 PM »

The Yin and Yang footage I have seen was amusing. They were like Frick and Frack, except not on ice.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2006, 12:17:35 PM »

I'M PRIM, IS something Miss Muffett might say.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up