Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AS THE COCK CROWS  (Read 16854 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:AS THE COCK CROWS
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2006, 01:13:18 PM »

OH DEAR!

der Brucer

Why....those are just a hood away from being....you know...

There are some very scary people in this world, and most of them are scary because of their religious bents...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 01:14:20 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2006, 01:15:11 PM »

Learning my lines for MOCKINGBIRD....know most of Act One.....

"Maycomb was a tired old town...."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2006, 01:23:43 PM »

...do you feel a thong coming on?

I'm still waiting for "Thong of the South" on DVD

der Brucer

"Thong in My Heart" just doesn't work.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2006, 01:27:51 PM »

I likewise had some errands to run after lunch. Was so glad to get back home and out of that humid hell called the South in summer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2006, 01:29:26 PM »

I only got two shows viewed this afternoon. I started off with last night's ENTOURAGE. Martin Landau guested again and did a marvelous job. Jeremy Piven was perfection. I'm really pulling for him at the Emmys this coming Sunday.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2006, 01:30:38 PM »

Then I watched last night's COLD CASE rerun. I had never seen it, obviously one of the shows that got delayed during its first run due to late ending sports of some kind on CBS. June Lockhart was a guest star, and she looked very good.

Cillaliz

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2006, 01:35:11 PM »

Cillaliz, sounds like you're getting a lot of the non-equity touring versions of shows that have become epidemic.

That wouldn't surprise me a bit.  I keep buying my subscription hoping that if they keep selling tickets we may get better quality shows, but who knows.  I'm hoping this year will be better....time will tell.  

The season starts with I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU and HAIRSPRAY in October

DERBRUCER

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2006, 01:45:18 PM »

Then I watched last night's COLD CASE rerun. I had never seen it, obviously one of the shows that got delayed during its first run due to late ending sports of some kind on CBS. June Lockhart was a guest star, and she looked very good.

The show originally aired in April - the blues numbers were great  (I appreciated the director letting the numbers play full course).

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2006, 01:49:26 PM »

I hated Phantom. Some lovely lush Puccini-esque melodies, however. Wonderful orchestra. Swell constumes. Special effects up the wazoo. I wanted to enjoy it at least $55 bucks' worth... I even went, subsequently, to see the movie - oy. I left halfway through. Just don't appreciate that show...

Didn't you audition to join the Company?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2006, 02:04:15 PM »

Playbill article on Kritzerland's upcoming release. Gans got to it quickly...

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/101535.html

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2006, 02:17:20 PM »

Off to clean the dining room and do some other odd jobs around the house. Haven't decided what I'm going to watch when I fire back up the TV. Maybe some WILD WILD WEST episodes. We'll see.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »

You can't have been involved with community theater for fifty years, like I have,  without seeing some dreadful productions.  A lot of those were made even more frightening by the fact that I had friends in the production who knew that I was out front.

I have been fairly lucky with professional productions, touring companies, and New York productions (both Off-Broadway and On).  I believe the worst experience I ever had in New York was that awful production of PERFECT CRIME (or whatever it is called) that has played for years in that attic above Times Square.  I should have checked the Playbill carefully because I am sure that P.T. Barnum must have been involved as either a producer or a publicist.  And the audience of tourists gave the cast a standing ovation!

Still, I believe the worst thing I ever sat through was LEGENDS with Carol Channing and Mary Martin.  It depresses me to this day that this was the only time I ever saw Mary Martin perform on stage.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2006, 02:33:03 PM »

I also watched COLD CASE last night, a series I had never watched before.  I thought it was very good, and I especially enjoyed Merideth Baxter (whatever happened to David Birney?) as the lead actress' alcoholic mother.  A terrific job.
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2006, 02:45:04 PM »

Well- MattH is a very bad influence!

I was onsidering asking him about the chances of my getting a few bucks for cartons of LaserDiscs in the basement (the old LD Player doesn't work!). Well I checked, and out of the 113 Titles, 48 are of things we do NOT have on DVD! (Inclusing at least one, Charleton Heston in "Crucifer of Blood" which is not even on DVD.)

So I snooped on Ebay and snagged a used LD Player for $15.50 plus $25 shipping with some extra LDs:

Up for auction is a Pioneer LD-V2200 LaserDisc Player. This auction includes the remote control unit originally packaged with this product. Both units are used, but in excellent working and cosmetic condition! They have both been tested for use, and both work perfectly. I'm also throwing in the remainder of my LD collection. Titles included are: From Dusk Till Dawn, Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday, The Mangler, Sleepwalkers, Scanners 2, Mars Attacks!, Pulp Fiction, The Howling: New Moon Rising, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, and Freddy's Dead, which is still in its original shrinkwrap and has never been opened! All of the other discs are used, but in excellent working condition, with only minor shelf wear apparent on their sleeves. The discs themselves are scratch-free and play fine.

Granted, the LDs are not exactly my cup of tea.

And while I was at it, I got a copy of the Criterion "Time Bandits" for $15.50 ($36 on Amazon).

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2006, 02:45:24 PM »

"Cold Case" aired here at 11 p.m.

At 10 p.m., we saw "Big Brother 7"

Before that it was all football and "The Fifth Quarter" a one-hour plus WRAPUP show.  

Sigh.

Thank goodness for a Miss Marple mystery on one of the 5 PBS stations I get, plus a new episode of "The 4400" at 9 p.m.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2006, 02:55:40 PM »

Did you know:

COCK CROWS is COWS CROCK scrambled?

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2006, 03:01:45 PM »

Did you know:

COCK CROWS is COWS CROCK scrambled?

der Brucer

You have been around Woody too much!
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2006, 03:28:57 PM »

TOTD:
Professional productions of
High Society
Blood Brothers
Chess
The Woman In White
The Beautiful Game
The Lion King

Non professional productions of:
Showboat
Carnival
George M
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2006, 03:30:07 PM »

We got the tour of CAn-CAN with Chita Rivera and the Rockettes. What a terrible show. Chita for all her talent couldn't save it.
Lordy, der B and I saw the same tour.  Ugh.  To put it mildly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2006, 04:01:53 PM »

That wouldn't surprise me a bit.  I keep buying my subscription hoping that if they keep selling tickets we may get better quality shows, but who knows.  I'm hoping this year will be better....time will tell.  

The season starts with I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU and HAIRSPRAY in October

Cilla I wonder if those are some of the same companies we get up here. Some shows have been downright insufferable.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2006, 04:17:34 PM »

I'm still waiting for "Thong of the South" on DVD

der Brucer
New tongue-twister: say "Thong of the South" three times quickly!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2006, 04:18:09 PM »

My brother is doing impressions of Frank Sinatra singing Britney Spears and rap songs.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2006, 04:18:52 PM »

"Hit Me Baby One More Time" is especially good.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2006, 04:25:40 PM »

The problem with der B's LaserDisc player purchase is, now we'll have to go through all the stuff that's in boxes downstairs and haul all the non-duplicate titles upstairs.

WE DON"T HAVE ENOUGH SHELF SPACE FOR ALL THE DVDs WE HAVE IN OUR COLLECTION!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2006, 04:35:45 PM »

I'm back to preparing one of my old stand-bys for dinner tonight: sweet and sour pork.

Only, lately I've been pulling a switch on what I do.

I found this great ginger/soy dressing that makes an incredible dipping sauce for the pork.

So, I instead serve the sweet and sour elements as a salad!  Very easy, a quick visit to the store's salad bar for onion, carrot, bell pepper, tomato, all served up on shredded iceberg lettuce and dressed with a little sweet and sour sauce.  Maybe a few sesame seeds sprinkled on top!

I'm going to try punching up with rice with a little lemon juice, just to give it a bit more flavor.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2006, 04:37:05 PM »

The bad news is, I'm scheduled to start work at SIX IN THE MORNING tomorrow.

That's a blech.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2006, 04:42:25 PM »

I must say I'm pleased with how fast the Simply Sondheim orders have been coming in.  Keep 'em coming!

I thought I might have five minutes to relax, but that didn't prove to be the case.  The telephonic device doesn't stop ringing, then I had more errands and I'm afraid I haven't written a word (I may do a page or two when I get back from my early dinner).

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2006, 04:56:41 PM »

The problem with der B's LaserDisc player purchase is, now we'll have to go through all the stuff that's in boxes downstairs and haul all the non-duplicate titles upstairs.

WE DON"T HAVE ENOUGH SHELF SPACE FOR ALL THE DVDs WE HAVE IN OUR COLLECTION!!!

Don't you hate it when that happens?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2006, 04:58:43 PM »

Well, I'm off to look at another condo in the same place that I looked on Friday, and then there might be another condo in a different place.  I don't remember if my sister said that the second one was on the same street or a different street.  We'll see.

Later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up