Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR OF THE MISSING DAY  (Read 20856 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR OF THE MISSING DAY
« on: August 22, 2006, 12:17:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were mysterious and baffling, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently missing along with the day. :-X
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 12:27:14 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR OF THE MISSING DAY
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 12:20:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: MAMMOCK!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 02:16:14 AM »

I don't even have a shred of an anagram for mammock.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 02:51:29 AM »

If a human naps in a hammock, does a mammal nap in a mammock?

Da-don't you ma-mock me, young man.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 02:52:58 AM »

Up...UP...at 2:42 a.m.

Acid reflux!  And a bout of sneezing.

I went to bed at 11 p.m.  And now I feel alert and awake and ready to carpe the diem.

I'll be knocked out in an hour...I just know it.

So...a few words while my Prilosec takes hold.  Then it's off to bed.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 03:01:18 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 02:57:49 AM »

BK -- I've jostled the nerves of our Joe Caps, I have.  It's in the Mutiny on the Bounty on DVD thread at FSM Messageboard.

The one movie led to "Julius Caesar" led to speculation about whether Rozsa's original overture might be restored instead of the Capriccio Italienne...and Scorro jumped in and decried "bowdlerized" versions of films, and then tipped a hat to the laser of "1776."

I couldn't let that slip and challenged him on his disdain for the idea of a bowdlerized verison of "Julius Caesar" while championing the laser of "1776"...one of THE most bowdlerized of all films (using his examples of what constituted "bowdlerizing").

Joe rose to the challenge and repeated the oft-told tale of how his version was what Peter Hunt wanted and how he took Heindorf's "notes" about an overture/intermission and "made it so" by editing orchestral elements already recorded.

To me, of course, that is the ESSENCE of bowdlerization...changing what was released into a dream of what might have been.  And I've long felt it was Joe's dream, moreso than Hunt's.  The laser, despite its flaws, is fun to watch and I do enjoy it.  But the film was never released that way and the overture/intermission were never recorded as such...so....

It's fun to argue, anyway.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 03:02:43 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 03:11:34 AM »

Big Brother 7:

SPOILER

Well, it's down to Chilltown...Dr. Will and Mike Boogie
Their legion of doom partners James and Danielle.
The secret Chilltown babe Erika.

Then there's George and Janelle.

And man, oh, man!  Danielle continues to sweat Janelle.  Just cannot stop plotting and devising schemes for eliminating Janelle.  

Meanwhile, George has ruined her game and Erika seems to be cruising toward the finals without so much as a concern.

James is nominated.  Janelle won POV and has used it and George has been nominated in her place.

The current plan is for James to be voted out.  Will and Boogie think it's time...if not past time.

Danielle doesn't want it, though.  Her one BIG alliance is with James and she's not comfy with him being up for ouster.

Tsk.  Tsk.

Oddly, Danielle and Janelle have agreed to a one-week truce.  A cooling down period during which they can chat and be friends without undue tension stressing them out.

Someone needs to do that with James.  Except....he only has a few days left...and then he can chill with Marcellas and Howie.

As it stands right now, that is.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 03:13:11 AM »

I need to go to bed.

I want to go to bed.

The bed is calling me.

But first, a sip of cold water.

Yes, that's it, precious.

A sip of cold water.

Then to bed.

And a dream of Hobbitses....

Michael

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 05:45:59 AM »

Trivia Question:
I wasn't even close!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 05:46:24 AM »

One month and counting...
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 05:46:48 AM »

Where or where are Ben and Larry this morning????
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 05:55:19 AM »

Ask and ye shall receive! Here I am but I'm about to leave.

Larry may be sleeping in.

Cillaliz

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 06:16:12 AM »

Good morning. For some reason, I'm the only one at the office. Usually our investigator is here by now....yes, it's Tuesday, hmmmm

Cillaliz

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 06:16:47 AM »

I'm awake, but barely. I have a really busy day, so I should probably get started before every one else gets here.

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 06:41:10 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Today's an appointment-free, meeting-free day to spend at my desk preparing for my grantseeking basics workshop on Saturday morning and other presentations coming up in the next several weeks.

TOD:

Glynis Tryon, the town librarian in Miriam Grace Monfredo's Seneca Falls, NY, mystery series
Theodosia Browning, the Charleston, SC, tea shop owner in Laura Childs' series
Anneke Haagen, the Ann Arbor, MI, sleuth in Susan Holtzer's series set at and around The University of Michigan
Karen Pelletier, the English professor in Joanne Dobson's Enfield College series
Anna Pigeon, the National Park Service Ranger in Nevada Barr's series in which each book is set in a different national park
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 06:45:51 AM »

Favorite sleuths: Hercule Poirot, Philip Marlowe (Singing Detective), and relatively new favorite, Mary Russell. I adore the Mary Russell character--I think she's brilliant! I'm a big fan of Laurie King's work. I'm also a fan of Minette Walters and especially her book, THE ICE HOUSE. There's a detective in it, Andy McLoughlin, played by Daniel Craig, who I find very interesting. Not a series detective, just a one-off. Any other Laurie King or Minette Walters fans out there? Or anyone reading Jill McGown?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 06:59:25 AM »

Tuesday....Act One No Books tonight....  
There was some really bad ACTING going on last night, and I fear that that will be way it is for this production....YIKES!!!

I do not think we will get through the act tonight....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 07:01:28 AM »

Hmmm...TOD....

Sherlock Holmes
Garth Ryland.....a series of books written by a friend of mine John A. Riggs..including A DRAGON LIVES FOREVER

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 07:06:02 AM »

Yes, I slept in and I had very frightening dreams.  Oy!

Good morning, all!  I  think I will stay around the apartment today and work on the last chart for Ms Klea Blackhurst.  I have litle inclination to get out and about today.

Last night, I too watched THE CLOSER.  Because my my trips to Ohio, I believe I've seen only 2 or 3 of the episodes this season.  I look forward to the DVD set so that I can catch the ones I missed.  I then watched episode 5 of Showtimes' THE BROTHERHOOD, and I think it's a tighter story line than THE SOPRANOS, which I believe never recovered from Nancy Marchand's death.  Jason Isaac's mobster brother is poison to all he touches, and in last night's episode he dragged his rather dim brother-in-law, who's so slow it's hard to believe he ever could pass a bar exam, into his schemes.  I like this series a lot.

DR Ron Pulliam, it sounds as if a "nationally renowned" maestro with whom I've done several projects is the Joe Caps of musical theatre:  I believe most of his "restorations" are the show he wants it to be and not what the surviving material and documentation - bits of which he often omits - often prove otherwise.

TOD:  Nancy Drew
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 07:12:28 AM »

TOD

Nero Wolfe (Rex Stout)
Miss Marple (Agatha Christie)
Amelia Peabody (Elizabeth Peters)
Dave Brandstetter (Joseph Hanson)
Kinsey Millhone (Sue Grafton)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 07:32:16 AM »

TOD:  Encyclopedia Brown  remains one of my all-time favorites for some reason, maybe because no one got hurt in the puzzles he investigated.

FJL

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 07:37:56 AM »

I also loved the detective that Jack Klugman played in the TV film ONE OF MY WIVES IS MISSING.  I was sorry that couldn't have led to a series.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 07:39:50 AM »

Oh I forgot Nancy Drew....

DERBRUCER

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 07:41:09 AM »

TOD:  Encyclopedia Brown  remains one of my all-time favorites for some reason, maybe because no one got hurt in the puzzles he investigated.

The eldest (9) grandlad is enjoying the series

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 07:59:33 AM »

And why were her stories usually superior to the Hardy boys?

Considering that both series (together with the Bobbsey Twins, Tom Swift and the Rover Boys) were all products of the same literary sweatshop (the Edward Stratemeyer Syndicate) and were allegedly sometimes written by the same authors, one would expect a more even quality.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 08:00:14 AM »

In the early 1970s I wanted to write a musical about Nancy Drew and I started collecting the old blue/orange editions from the 1940s.  I amassed quite a few of them, read them all, and was amazed at how - even by late 1960s standards - un-PC they were.  Now, of course, they're updated (I'm sure all the roadsters and tea shops are lost as well as the lesbian subtext) and most likely highly rewritten, but those 1940s editions will always be dear to my heart for their high camp value alone.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2006, 08:09:17 AM »

Nancy and the Hardy Boys were pretty much equal in my book....

However I think an amalgamation called The Nancy Boys would have been my faboo favs!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2006, 08:10:11 AM »

Good morning!

It's overcast here but that has done nothing to ease the temperatures or humidity. Still stifling.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2006, 08:12:42 AM »

I didn't really understand why then or now, but I never could get into the Hardy Boys in print while I adored Nancy Drew and collected her books religiously.

Now, on TV, I loved the two Hardy Boy mysteries on THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB. The ABC series that rotated Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, well, I didn't really like either of those.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2006, 08:13:29 AM »

The appalling reality is that all the current issues of both Nancy Drew and Hardy boys are re-writes that down-grade the vocabulary used and render the stories more PC (although the original versions can still be found).

New Hardy Boys

Beginning in 1959, the first 38 volumes were systematically revised. This massive project, completed in 1973, was directed by Harriet Adams, Edward Stratemeyer's daughter. The revision project had numerous results:

Shorter books (180 pages instead of 225, 20 chapters instead of 25)

Streamlined writing style (at the cost of humor, charm, and believability!)

Elimination of racial stereotypes (for the most part)

Modernization (no more roadsters and automats)

Consistency of premises (Frank and Joe no longer
gradually age from 15/16 to 17/18)

Consistency of interior layout (the same typeface is used in all revised books)

Newfound respect for officers of the law

Deflation of Aunt Gertrude's character (see the Aunt Gertrude page)

The degree and type of revisions varied. I've grouped them into four categories, in increasing order of severity:

Same story, same text: Most of the original text remains intact, with pieces cut or slightly altered here and there (example: The Phantom Freighter).

Same story rewritten: The basic framework of the plot is the same, but the text has been completely (or almost completely) rewritten (example: The Tower Treasure).

New story, old ideas: The book has been completely rewitten, and the plot is not the same, but some elements are retained, such as names, capers, episodes, or locations. (Examples: The Twisted Claw retains many elements, such as the Parrot freighters, the pirate empire, and the Caribbean island. The Sinister Signpost retains the racehorse named Topnotch and Aunt Gertrude's inheritance of a stable of racehorses, but their relevance to the story is completely changed.)

New story, new ideas: The book has been completely rewitten and shares no elements with its predecessor (example: The Flickering Torch Mystery).

It does reduce a purist to tears!

der brucer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up