Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: AUGUST, WE HARDLY KNEW YE  (Read 12464 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:AUGUST, WE HARDLY KNEW YE
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2006, 07:47:44 AM »

And I still have NEW FACES cued up ready to play today, too. I have lunch out with friends today, but will hopefully see it when I return.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 07:48:26 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]Page Two Dance!!![/size][/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 07:48:56 AM »

Happy Birthday to former DR Swishy.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 08:20:43 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  SW Ohio is experiencing a hint of autumn today - what a relief!

TOD - I would choose the 1940's in order to be part of my immediate family during its first decade.  My parents were married in 1940 and my sister was born in 1941.  They had a whole decade of family life, which included the big move (start with a US map and a tape measure...) to the west coast, before I came along at the end of 1950.  Not that their life was easy, nor always pleasant (WW II and all that), but I'd like to meet some of the people I've only heard about.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2006, 09:04:53 AM »

TOD:

I, too, would like to be in the 1940s. I loved the music of the period. I'd like to be in either NYC or LA trying to break into show business. With many men out of commission for the war (provided I was 4-F), I might have better odds of breaking in.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2006, 09:07:30 AM »

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to be auditioning for one of the supporting roles in a local production of AMADEUS. At one point, Van Swieten mentions the Mozart opera IDOMENEO, KING OF CRETE.

Can one of your music scholars tell me the correct pronunciation of that name? Does the "i" have a "eye" sound or an "eh" sound? I'm assuming the accented syllable is the "fourth syllable, but I really have no clue. Help!!

Thanks in advance.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2006, 09:18:09 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Man am I groggy this morning.  Waiting to hear from Miss Ripley to see if we're meeting.  If we are, I'll have to jog afterwards.

td

• td
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2006, 09:36:45 AM »

A meeting with Alice is always a pleasant experience.
Got our tickets for the Ripley/Skinner concert, and Janet and I are in Row L.
Who else is gonna be in NYC that weekend?

Even though the country was in the Great Depression, I think that I would have liked to have lived in the 1930s, in either NYC or the Midwest.  Either way, there would have been challenges to face, therefore, I would find out just what mettle I was made of. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 09:59:27 AM »

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to be auditioning for one of the supporting roles in a local production of AMADEUS. At one point, Van Swieten mentions the Mozart opera IDOMENEO, KING OF CRETE.

Can one of your music scholars tell me the correct pronunciation of that name? Does the "i" have a "eye" sound or an "eh" sound? I'm assuming the accented syllable is the "fourth syllable, but I really have no clue. Help!!

Thanks in advance.

EE-DO-MEN-AY-O. accent on 4th syllable!

DR MattH, I just looked at the PROJECT RUNWAY schedule:  episode 8, which we all seem to have missed last night, is airing at these times:
   Friday, Sept. 1, 11 AM
   Saturday, Sept. 2, 8 PM
   Sunday, Sept. 3, 5 PM
   Tuesday, Sept. 5, 1 AM (edisodes 1-7 air 6 PM-12 AM, Sept. 4)
   Wednesday, Sept. 6, 9 PM

Unfortunately, the site also told me who was kicked out last night, but I will not spoil it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

jhvw

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 10:06:59 AM »

I'm going to miss all my shows. Today I turned off my cable and soon I will go in and turn in my DVR. It will save me alot of money, sure, but I'll sure miss it. So I guess it's back to trying to download my favorite shows off the internet (I could never turn it off, it's my crack) and joining netflix. On the plus side, netflix has a great selection of offbeat movies I haven't had the chance to see so mabye it's not a totally bad thing.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2006, 10:18:27 AM »

Thanks in advance.

Hiya - say "ee-dom- uh- NAY- o"
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2006, 10:24:55 AM »

TOD - I would have liked to know Mozart. I think that would have been fun, and some of those wacky soprano arias might have been written for me... I would have loved to meet and talk to Thomas Jefferson in Virginia. I would love to have known my dad as a young man in the '20's in LA. What must LA have been like then? And I would love to have been around while my mom was a young dancer. I would have encouraged her to live her dreams. She deserved that, and I got it, instead. She was invited to dance in a new show in Las Vegas, while she was pregnant with me... and already had an infant in diapers at home... and a husband and a mother in law!... Now, how is it that Penny never married, never had children, and wound up in Showbiz?
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2006, 10:27:08 AM »

Yes - LA in the '20's! Paris in the '30's. NY in the '40's... Anywhere in 2040...
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2006, 10:28:00 AM »

So, Pen, how'd the workshop go the other night?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2006, 10:49:04 AM »

Alice was a no-show, so we'll meet over the weekend.  

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »

So, Pen, how'd the workshop go the other night?

Last night was so GREAT!! Major breakthrough's all around! The energy in that room was smokin'! Wow. I was born to do this!!!

I have decided to publish this workbook I've been using for nearly 20 years in these seminars... through the years I've added, changed, revamped exercises; added case histories; written up insights I've had -- it's really time to make it into a book and publish the sucker! What a major task - but I started as soon as I got home last night.
PennyO

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2006, 10:56:27 AM »

Good Afternoon!

WOW! I actually have a break.  Well, not really - I'm in a production meeting...

We just had our second orchestra rehearsal, and it went very well.  -And I'm breathing a big sigh of relief - the transpositions worked! I still have a few charts to "make pretty", but the bulk of my work is finished.  Whew! So...

I'll be back soon(er)... We start with the cast in 15 minutes, and go until 11:00... So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2006, 10:56:31 AM »

I should be ready to bring it out about the time I'll finish the Masters degree... I'm thinking two years. Somehow, the soul-based Psych degree is the magic credential for a book like this.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2006, 10:59:03 AM »

And in the meantime, I'll book a bunch more seminars and lectures, to work up any sort of a buzz and interest in the work. And maybe write a few more plays, sing some concerts, put in some time at Author Events to sell Jewish Thighs - oh, by the way - sold 2 copies without trying last night!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2006, 11:00:16 AM »

Jose! Hiya, boy! I feel like a proud Auntie!!
PennyO

Ben

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2006, 11:09:47 AM »

JH, you'll live through your cable shutdown. We did it a few months ago for many reasons, one of which was I was tired of paying $60 a month for television, much of which I find to be unadulterated crap. We didn't shut it off completely since we don't get good reception, being on the 4th floor of an old apartment building surrounded by newer, taller buildings. We went down to the lowest level. We now get all the broadcast channels in our area (including two PBS stations), C-SPAN I and II and our local all news channel, NY1. We pay a grand total of $23 a month for it. This I can live with. We don't miss the extra channels. If we really, really want to see something we have Anthony's mother record it (his folks are on Long Island). We read more, we talk more, we listen to music and we relax more. Yes, we still watch some television but I can't think of ANYTHING that I NEED to see so much that I want those extra channels. If the cable company started offering a pick your own menu at a reasonable price we might go back, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon if the cable conglomerates have anything to say about it.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you'll live and probably be a better person for it  ;)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2006, 11:24:18 AM »

PennyO, your workbook sounds interesting. And you sound like a woman on a mission! Good for you! Re the psych degree, personally, I think someone who's been there has more credibility.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2006, 11:27:12 AM »

TOD: I've often thought I'd like to be a Victorian or Edwardian, living in London. I'm a real anglophile.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2006, 11:30:02 AM »

And Paris in the '30's must have been absolutely fascinating.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2006, 11:33:31 AM »

Back from the jog.  Must now do a few things, then prepare for today's and tonight's auditions.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2006, 12:12:28 PM »

Just finalized the book dedication and the acknowledgments.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2006, 12:38:02 PM »

Morning all.
Just finished watching "Fearless Vampire Killers".

I found it funny in 1967.  It doesn't work for me now.
Neither did the DVD and Cd of the Musical!

DVD of the musical??

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2006, 12:38:50 PM »

Hint, hint

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »

To quote Joan Rivers, "Can we talk?"

George

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »

Well...I'm at home and got some news.  The seller of the condo doesn't want to budge on the price. :P She is willing to pay all closing costs, but that's about it.  So, I have a decision to make.  It IS in the perfect location.  It DOES have a garage and the complex has very few garages.  The place needs a little work, but very little...it IS in the perfect location.

What to do??  What to do??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up