Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BEATING A HASTY RETREAT  (Read 22956 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BEATING A HASTY RETREAT
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2006, 08:42:25 AM »

With nothing on TV tonight of interest to me, I'll be looking for something entertaining to consume the evening. Will probably be a previously viewed item.

I've been reading that the HD-DVD version of THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD is coming out near the end of this month, so I may take the standard definition (Ultra-Resolution) version of it off the shelf and see how it looks tonight. My memory is that it looks terrific.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2006, 08:45:16 AM »

Page Two Mulan and Mushu Dance!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2006, 08:47:11 AM »

Wonderful night's sleep.

Still having memories of rack of lamb.

Time to get some morning buns to accompany a freshly-brewed cup of French roast...

.....yawn.....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2006, 09:06:03 AM »

Off to get lunch underway.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2006, 09:18:14 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Woke up later than planned, hence the big boxes may have to go out Monday morning.  I have to do up invoices for them and have to be at Grant's at ten, so why rush.  

elmore mentioned Patty, Maxine, and Laverne - here is what I learned the hard way: Patty, Maxene, and LaVerne.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2006, 09:19:50 AM »

TOD: A nice long nap.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2006, 09:28:48 AM »

TOTD:

Bubble bath and a nap...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2006, 09:37:03 AM »

I am not a fan of Urinetown, I'm afraid.  Maybe I'll see the production Matt's doing and maybe I'll like it better.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2006, 09:44:13 AM »

TOD:

I have 2 different ways of relaxing/resting/calming the mind during the daytime hours.

If the weather isn't too hot, I like to take a slow walk around the entire backyard at our house, and I actually stop and look at, and talk to each tree that we have.  We have over 40 producing fruit trees, and I tell them how nice they look, how much more they've grown, etc.  I know it sounds crazy, but DP Kerry already knows that I'm certifiable.

The other is to stretch out on our wonderful "sleep number" bed, maybe read a little, and have Sugar hop up beside me.  There is a definite soothing influence from just being in the close proximity to an animal that is also resting......I don't know why.

Kerry

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2006, 09:49:14 AM »

Before I foget, I must thank elmore's comments about "Imagining You."  Luckily I checked, and it was NYC Gay Men's Chorus, and the wonderfl arrangemnt was indeed by Larry.  SO, Larry people are not stealing this particualr work (that I am aware of), but it's a lovely piece and would make a great solo for someone totally  out of the context of the show (hear that Jason, Kevin, Liz Callaway),. Based on your recommendations, I will give the cst album another listen.  I still get the feeling though that it works better within the play itself.
I like boat races.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2006, 10:08:35 AM »

Just you n me, Ben! happy saturday.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2006, 10:11:33 AM »

kinda rainy here... I'm off to sunnier climes tomorrow morning. As always, I hate to leave, but I'm happy to be heading back to LA. Hate to leave this wonderful little cat. And I had FOUR-count'em-FOUR raccoons last night - a mom and her three very small babies... odd to have such young ones this time of year. I do hope they'll find enough to eat, once Aunt Pen's catfood vanishes.
PennyO

Cillaliz

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2006, 11:26:19 AM »

Hello all!  Nice blurbs BK

Cillaliz

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2006, 11:26:39 AM »

Welcome Aspara

Cillaliz

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2006, 11:29:55 AM »

TOD - just being home alone with the cats is a start to relaxing. I also love going to see a movie at the theater by myself. In the dark I can get totally lost in the movie, not care if anyone else likes it and let everything bothering me just slip away.

I also like a hot bath and curling up with a cat  or two and a good book

Cillaliz

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2006, 11:32:01 AM »

With that in mind, I'm going to go grab a sweatshirt - it's cool today - and go by myself to the first matinee of The Illusionist.

Oh, I watched the documentary Grey Gardens this morning.  I'm glad I saw it. I understand now why there is a song about Jerry liking corn....

Cillaliz

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2006, 11:34:03 AM »

Better run. I'm looking forward to this movie.  Then I have to go to another art show opening tonight. I have work I brought home from the office, so I don't plan to go out after the opening tonight, but who knows, I could be pursuaded.

Tomorrow we're still planning on seeing the matinee of Hollywoodland...has anyone seen it yet?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »

And I had FOUR-count'em-FOUR raccoons last night -

Nope - wont touch it!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2006, 12:03:59 PM »

The sentence comparing the stories to Ray Bradbury is particularly intriguing.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2006, 12:04:44 PM »

Watched THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS and noticed that Judy Garland was doing two a day at the Palace when the Beast came through NYC.

Wonder if she cancelled that day?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2006, 12:05:50 PM »

Off to sell tickets....and do a show.....

Contemplating the purchase of the Handel Caesar and Hercules Opera DVD's.....any yeas or nays from the HHW'ers in the know....opera wise.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2006, 12:09:41 PM »

I understand now why there is a song about Jerry liking corn....

More about Jerry, past and present, New Yorker

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.
THE MARBLE FAUN
by Adam Green
Issue of 2006-03-06

In the film, Mrs. Beale says, “Jerry’s out every night with a different girl.” In fact, Torre’s life outside Grey Gardens centered on local gay night spots, such as the Attic. And he often drove into the city to spend evenings cruising bathhouses in a towel (he says he was voted Mr. Club Baths 1977) or dancing in his jockstrap on the bar at the Anvil.

Though she didn’t appear in the Maysleses’ movie, Jacqueline Onassis turns up in the musical, as the young Jackie Bouvier. Torre recalls meeting Onassis when she visited Grey Gardens. He says that she used to call the house occasionally, to check on her aunt and cousin, and that she once asked him to take her out clubbing. He remembers bringing her to the Anvil, where they watched a fire-eating drag contortionist perform. Afterward, Onassis’s driver took them back to her building, where she invited Torre up for a drink. “I said no thanks,” he said. “I went back to the Anvil.”

The other day Torre attended a preview of “Grey Gardens,” the musical, in which the role of Jerry is played by a square-jawed young actor named Matt Cavenaugh. He wears a Newsday sweatshirt and a painter’s cap, as Torre did as a teen-ager, and what looks like a Beatles wig. Torre’s eyes teared up several times during the show, particularly when, after a song called “Jerry Likes My Corn,” the stage Jerry said, “You be good now, Mrs. Beale—you take care of yourself.”

As some DRs might remember, the "Anvil" was a notorious gay sleeze bar on the lower westside. (Don't ask!)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2006, 12:11:31 PM »

Can any New Yorker tell me what building this is?

der Brucer

Or maybe it's just an artist's conception!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 12:12:16 PM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2006, 01:19:58 PM »

The "OH, GOOD GRIEF!" department:

Town's Top Cop Quits Over Nude Photos of Wife

Mayor, Councilman Also Resign Amid Backlash Over Internet Postings
By TIM TALLEY, AP

SNYDER, Okla. (Sept. 8) - The police chief, the mayor and a councilman from this small, southwestern Oklahoma town resigned Friday, saying they were fed up with the public attention and criticism they received after the chief's wife appeared in various nude poses on a Web site and the photos began circulating around town.

Earlier Friday, the chief said the whole issue involving his 43-year-old wife had been blown out of proportion.
"People in this country do what she does on a daily basis," he said. "It's absolutely ludicrous. Makes no sense at all."

He said he has had lengthy discussions with his wife about the photos but does not tell her what to do.

"My wife is 6-foot-3 and weighs 300 pounds," he said. "If there is somebody that thinks they can control her, have at it. I have tried for 11 years and haven't been able to."

der Brucer

Love how the date got the Smilie code!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2006, 01:22:13 PM »

My Garage Sale went very well. Sold almost everything and gave the rest to the cleaning lady who came just as it ended - and who does NOT have an Evil Eye.

This was a great way to get to know some of my neighbors. A number of others were also having garage sales - and I spent a bit of the money I made at mine buying things at theirs. Well, at one anyway. The woman next-door had some phenomenal vintage stuff which she was selling for a dollar a garment. How could I resist? I now own a vintage 50's Hawaiian design dress that looks like it could have come out of From Here to Eternity.
I'm going out for lunch with some of the neighbors as a post-garage sale celebration. This was not something I was planning - as I'm invited out to dinner tonight - but I didn't want to say no. So lunch will be breakfast, I guess, because I didn't have time to eat before the Garage Sale (people descend on you at 6 AM!).
And that's the report from here.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »

Tomorrow we're still planning on seeing the matinee of Hollywoodland...has anyone seen it yet?

I saw a preview of it a month or so ago. I didn't like it - but that's my personal opinion. You might love it. Bob Hoskins was terrific. Ben Affleck was fine, as was Diane Lane. But the real star of the film is Adrien Brody - and I didn't care for him or that whole (fictional)story. It's not a subplot - it's a another main plot. And they should have had faith in the Reeves story carrying the entire film. It could have and perhaps should have.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2006, 01:53:58 PM »

Have some great telephone conversations this afternoon, on one of mich I got the suggestion for tonight's viewing:

HOW THE WEST WAS WON. That will consume a major portion of the evening.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »

I didn't get to the Dietrich DVD. I still had the final WILL & GRACE episode from Season 5 to watch, and I did. This was the one on Karen's yacht after she's gotten Stan's money in his will; Jack and Will appear to have slept together after a drunken night of partying, and Karen is pushed overboard by Stan's mistress Lorainne Finster.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2006, 01:58:24 PM »

I watched a couple of what they call "themed featurettes" which are just montages of images from the season's episodes around a central theme. After a couple of those, I was bored with them.

So, I took out the DVD of the final WILL & GRACE episode and watched it, followed by the documentaries on the making of the show on that disc. Brought a tear to my eye. Whatever weaknesses the show had in its final years (and it was much weaker than it was at its zenith), I will still miss having it around when the new season commences.

Ginny

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2006, 02:24:48 PM »

It has been a busy, busy, busy day here at the library!  That's how I like it, because the time goes so much faster than when we're slow.  However, what I don't like is having to untangle bungled customer service performed by people who should know better.

One of my customers today was wearing a hat that looked like the Oscar Mayer weinermobile  ;D

Going home soon to eat pizza with my family and watch Munich.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up