Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GETTING READY  (Read 24999 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:GETTING READY
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2006, 11:37:34 AM »

From Edisaurus sometime yesterday:

I have put together a mix of S&V related songs for a future program on WFMU in NY when we have our theatrical release. We did this with our last film, and played 2 hours of different versions of "The Internationale". (I think that show is still archived on their website.) So we will certainly use the song then. I also include it on a mix CD I made for walk-in music before screenings. I may have an extra copy which I could give you since yours is worn out!

Just curious:  Did you happen to include Sondheim's song "Goodbye for Now" from the film Reds? (Which is on at least one BK-produced album.)  The melody, I understand, is the "Internationale" played backwards.

And btb (by-the-bye in Internet lingo), did I ever say

WELCOME NEWBIE DR EDISAURUS! ?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

FJL

« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2006, 11:45:57 AM »

As a side note to some of the recent comments, i remember a friend in law school saying he wished he had so-and-so's parents, and I thought that then he wouldn't be him.  

Nothing profound, but I had nothing else to post about  :)

FJL

« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2006, 11:48:32 AM »

Is it too soon to post the old joke about how hard it is to get adusted to the New Year, that for weeks I'll still be dating my checks 5766?

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2006, 11:52:27 AM »

I just looked up the Twilight Zone episode. "No Time Like the Past" written by Rod Serling.
Synopsis
Paul Driscoll uses a time machine with the noble intention of going back in time to alter past events. After failing to warn a Hiroshima police captain about the atomic bomb, assassinate Adolf Hitler immediately before the outbreak of World War II, and change the course of the Lusitania to avoid being torpedoed by a World War I German U-boat, he accepts the hypothesis that the past cannot be changed. He then uses the time machine to journey to the town of Homeville, Indiana back in the year 1881 with the intention of escaping and living out a quiet, uncomplicated life. After reading in a history book that Homeville's schoolhouse will burn down because of a kerosene lantern thrown from a runaway wagon, he spots the wagon and attempts to prevent this event from occuring. But instead he causes the fire he intended to prevent.

FJL

« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2006, 11:53:56 AM »

Seems that some people are taking off tomorrow, since the actual New Year's holiday falls on the weekend, but starts Friday night.  I'll be bringing in the New year by seeing the 9 pm ...SINGING NUN, along with Tomovoz and Colin.  Tom called this morning, and I have to find a suitable restaurant around 46th and 9th that will take a 7:00 reservation.  

New Year tidbit:  The day before Rosh Hashanah is affectionately called "Rusha Homa" in my office, and I assume in many other offices.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2006, 12:05:10 PM »

Last Saturday, as you already know, DR vixmom and I attended a matinee of

Oh yes it was funny, if campy in a Charles Bush sort of way.  And yet with all the fictionalized characters and hilarious movie take-offs (or is it "takes-off"?), it ended up being rather touching at the end--and it really followed the eventual demise of Soeur Sourire quite closely.  I know, because I researched her on the internet afterward and learned that her life was in fact quite tragic, quite different from the cloying Debby Reynolds version.

(As a footnote, the show doesn't mention that her lover's book on teaching autistic children is still used as a textbook today.)

Anyway, I'm sure you've all heard quite enough about nuns.  So for a change of pace, let me post a picture of Michael Hunsaker as the priest Father Lyon in the show:

My only quibble with his performance was that every time a nun ripped open his shirt in the heat of passion--he promptly rebuttoned it!

Here is the web site for the show.  Why they have no bio or our DR elmore the orchestrator I do not know.

After the show we found a lovely German Biergarten and had a most pleasant afternoon before Larry had to run off and attend to another of the projects to which he lends his genius.

I am looking forward to next Saturday with the Boys from Oz with bells on.  Well, one or two of us may have bells on.

But, as Max Schulman used to say in those cute cigarette ads that ran in the college newspapers in the sixties, I digress.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Cillaliz

« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2006, 12:11:09 PM »

Wow! A new (to me) avatar for Cillaliz! That brightens my day. I am feeling much better after some nagging illness. Thank you!

Why thank you, Dr Rodzinski

Cillaliz

« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2006, 12:16:45 PM »

The TOD reminds me of It's a Wonderful Life.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2006, 12:22:45 PM »

Those of you who are waiting for my next cinematic epic on the screen will just have to content yourself with my letter to the editor of the Lexington Herald Leader that appears today.

Thanks, but I much prefer your fiction.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2006, 12:28:06 PM »

Back to "No Time Like the Past" -  the Twilight Zone episode about changing history... I looked up the closing narration and here it is...

Narrator: "Incident on a July afternoon, 1881. A man named Driscoll who came and went and, in the process, learned a simple lesson, perhaps best said by a poet named Lathbury, who wrote, 'Children of yesterday,/ Heirs of tomorrow,/ What are you weaving?/ Labor and sorrow? /Look to your loom again,/ Faster and faster/ Fly the great shuttles/ Prepared by the Master./ Life's in the loom!/ Room for it—Room!'  Tonight's tale of clocks and calendars--in the Twilight Zone."

The words, by the way, are from the hymn “A Song of Hope” written by Mary Artemesia Lathbury in the 1880’s, I believe. Interesting that, in the 1880's, she speaks of "flying the great shuttles!"
Talk about time travel!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 12:29:39 PM by Maria »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2006, 12:32:07 PM »

I phoned the Milford Plaza and left a message for our DR Tomovoz.  Tonight he and Colin are seeing tHE DROWSY CHAPERONE.

DR FJL, have you set a time for dinner with them?  I will need to abandon you around 7:45 to get over to the theatre for a sound check and hand out a few thank you gifts.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2006, 12:34:51 PM »

I caught the farewell of Matt Ashford on the dreadful DAYS OF OUR LIVES.  I wonder if our DR DakotaCelt is flying the flag at half mast?

TOD:  I want to go back into the past to observe, not to change anything.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2006, 12:36:31 PM »

I need to go into the past to learn where the fat hell I put my 3-hole punch!  I need to put my Brain from Planet X libretto into a binder ASAP.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2006, 12:40:51 PM »

From Edisaurus sometime yesterday:Just curious:  Did you happen to include Sondheim's song "Goodbye for Now" from the film Reds? (Which is on at least one BK-produced album.)  The melody, I understand, is the "Internationale" played backwards.

Thanks for the very large welcome, DR WF Orr!

I had heard that the traditional song was used in the movie "Reds", but haven't seen it since I worked on our film. I will definitely track the song down and check it out...maybe even transcribe the melody and see if it is indeed a backwards version.

Our film features Pete Seeger and Billy Bragg, plus other people around the world. This is probably my favorite documentary of those I've worked on. We were on the make the cut. The Academy had a special screening for certain short-list films including ours, but that was when my ancient cat was in declining health and I was afraid to leave town to go to the event.

The most unusual version I've ever seen in a movie is in "The Cradle Will Rock", when Bill Murray sang it with a ventriloquist dummy!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2006, 12:45:08 PM »

We were on the make the cut.

This was supposed to say "We were on the Academy Awards short list, one of 7 from which the 5 nominees where chosen, but we didn't make the cut".

But somehow, *I* made a cut.

Guess it's my nature as an editor! LOL

BTW, my mother has no idea of what I do for a living; she tells people my job is to "cut out the bad stuff". Which is partially true, I guess....
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Kerry

« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2006, 01:00:03 PM »

I'm at work and covertly on this site to wish the very Dear Reader laura a Happy Birthday!!!  I have to go and attend a meeting I hate.  Not only do I have to atttend, I got stuck taking minutes for it, so I actually have to listen and can't tune them all out and hum Bruce Kimmel tunes in my head.  Oh, well, at least I get to make all sorts of nasty editorial comments in my notes which I remove later.

We stioll owe DR Sandra cheesecake, so LAura, would you like Cheesecake too, or must we hold out for Oreo cake.

I love you all and wish I having a nice Haines lunch with all of you instead of attending this meeting.  Please don't let Rhonda be there; I don't think I can take her whining today!.

MWAH!!!!!
I like boat races.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2006, 01:00:36 PM »

TOD

Lots of writers have written pieces on the subject:

WHAT IF?

and What IF? 2

(A serendipitious browse of the local Atlantic Books found both volumes bound together for $9.99)

My favorite, so far: "What if Pizarro Had Not Found Potatoes in Peru?"

der Brucer

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2006, 01:02:15 PM »

This was supposed to say "We were on the Academy Awards short list, one of 7 from which the 5 nominees where chosen, but we didn't make the cut".

A helpful hint to DR Edisaurus... If you want to go back and change or edit something you've posted, hit the "Modify" option in the upper right corner of your post. Once you've done what you want to do, hit "Save" in the lower left corner and your corrected version will appear.

I just modified my own post because I had the prompt in the wrong corner!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 01:03:40 PM by Maria »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2006, 01:16:49 PM »

Afternoon proved to be just as beautiful as the morning. What a pleasure to be out and around at lunch and not be sweating and uncomfortable. Can't wait for fall to officially get here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2006, 01:17:36 PM »

Thank you, thank you, for all the birthday wishes,  Ben, JRand, Jeanne, Jennifer, Cilla (and the gals), Charles Pogue, MattH, MBarnum (loved the card), Ginny, MusicGuy, Penny), Ron Pulliam, George, Jose,  Rodsinski, FJL, WFOrr, Maria, and Kerry!  Whew!!

And yes, there will be cake. I shall make it myself!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2006, 01:18:20 PM »

TOD:

The crucifixation.

It would be interesting to see what the effect would be from that.

Carlos Eire answers this in "Pontius Pilate Spares Jesus" - Christianity Without the Crucifixtion found in WHAT IF? 2

He essentially concludes that Jesus goes on preaching and that a new form of Judaism evolves which is embraced as non-threatening by the Romans; Constantine keeps the capitol in Rome, and an undivided Rome withstands the Germanic hoards and controls the planet into the 20th Century, and anyone who does not support the New Religion is persecuted.

Some things never change, it seems.

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2006, 01:19:32 PM »

Today I have been up in Wickenburg, Arizona, where I was yesterday. We had to leave a vehicle behind, so today DH and I went up real real early to retrieve it. I was on the Carefree Highway coming home when DR MusicGuy called to invite me to lunch.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2006, 01:20:50 PM »

BTW, my mother has no idea of what I do for a living; she tells people my job is to "cut out the bad stuff".

I can hear her now "My daughter, the Surgeon!"

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2006, 01:21:53 PM »

Because lunch ran very late (got started late), I only had time for two items of viewing this afternoon. I began with last night's JUSTICE, a very involving case concerning the death of a man being thrown off a balcony. Not much of a mystery really (though almost everyone involved was lying or telling half-truths at best). I still enjoyed it, and I'm enjoying the show very much. So far, the producers haven't seen fit to have people at the firm to start dating one another.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2006, 01:22:32 PM »

So far today, my DH has not remembered my birthdday. If he can go all day without remembering, I can have anything I want because he will feel so guilty.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2006, 01:23:28 PM »

Unlike CSI: NY who not only has found Mac (Gary Sinese) a new love interest (a new M.E. on staff) but it looks like CSI Danny and Detective Flack will be cultivating new girl friends from within the unit.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2006, 01:24:45 PM »

I forgot to mention that the two cases on last night's CSI: NY involved bungie jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge and a pillow fight that got out of hand. Unusual, I have to say.

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2006, 01:26:21 PM »

And right now I'm making a DVD-R of the Esther Williams film THE DUCHESS OF IDAHO. I saw this a long time ago, and I remember being very impressed by a tap dance that Eleanor Powell (who's a guest star in this) does. Otherwise, I have only a vague memory of it. Oh, I think this is the one that features Tom and Jerry swimming with Esther.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2006, 01:27:41 PM »

And THANK YOU, Dear BK, for remembering my birthday!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2006, 01:28:47 PM »

The tv news announcer just asked "Is Elizabeth Taylor dating again? Tune in at 5," and I thought: carbon dating, perhaps.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up