Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: START SPREADIN' THE NEWS  (Read 22862 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
START SPREADIN' THE NEWS
« on: September 23, 2006, 11:14:04 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you that you must start spreadin' the news because I'm comin' to New York, New York, so now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're spreadin' the moos.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 09:29:35 PM by bk »

MBarnum

Re:START SPREADIN' THE NEWS
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 11:27:55 PM »

BK, I am glad you liked WEIRD WOMAN..it is one of my all time favorite films and has been since I was a tiny tot.

I met Anne Gwynne at the Ray Courts show a few years back...she had had a stroke and couldn't communicate well, but seemed to be enjoying herself...she was there with her daughter Gwynne Gilford. She did a LOT of Universal movies in the 40s. Unfortunately, she has since passed.

And of course the movie also had Evelyn Ankers (in a rare negative role), Elizabeth Russell, and the adorable Lois Collier!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 11:29:05 PM by MBarnum »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 12:57:34 AM »

Have a safe and fun trip bk!!

SAfe trip vibes........
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 12:59:44 AM »

A few comments from yesterday's discussions...

I have only seen one Jerry Lewis movie and that was Nutty professor and it was a hoot.

Laura, I love your photographs, you are a talented photographer...

I am going to have to go torment someone with Cable to see Closer. I refuse to pay the exorbitant cable fees in this area which hover around 60 for basic. Not sure we get the Food Channel here but we do get the Food Network.

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 04:24:05 AM »

Good morning, all!  I am up too early but I have an action-packed day, the afternoon of which is tied up with a band rehearsal for THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.  This morning, I have some other work to accomplish in the recording office and some shopping for a few office supplies.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SAFE TRAVEL VIBES FOR BK ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 04:53:32 AM »

A moment of silence, please, for the lack of a word for the day...

:'(
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 05:02:53 AM »

I've been up, and back to bed, and up again, and back to bed again, since four-thirty this morning.  (That's one-thirty HHWDST (Haines His Way Daylight Savings Time).)

This is not because I wanted to be up/back/up/back.  Our smoke alarm has decided to act up.

I was in the middle of a very enjoyable dream, the details of which are now obliterated, when this shreeking BLEEEEP kept repeating in the middle of the night.  Der Brucer, whom I had to nudge awake (he can sleep through anything, and is mentioned in Guiness' in a footnote), told me to turn on the stove hood's fan and open the back door.  That worked for a while, but presently the BLEEEEPING started again.  There was no evidence of any fire, or anything that could have set off the alarm.  It's just too dang sensitive.  If we showed it those pics of Pogue half naked on stage, it would BLEEEEP.

I've somehow had enough sleep for the night, and should do OK at work, but it is still very frustrating.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 05:04:14 AM »

And now, our esteemed BK is browsing, while getting ready for his flight.

Good travel vibes, BK!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 05:07:21 AM »

Dear Edisaurus:

Good Morning!

You may note that I referred to BK as "Esteemed BK" in the previous post.

That is the formal mode of addressing our host here at HHW.

The informal, but convivial, mode of address is, of course, a simple "BK."  Both are acceptable.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 05:09:29 AM »

I shall now be on my way to New York, New York!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 05:40:56 AM »

A moment of silence, please, for the lack of a word for the day...
 :'(

I'll try to supplement by mentioning my favorite word that was used here over the last few days: LURID!

When I was young, I would peruse the TV Guide the day it arrived, and if anything was deemed a "lurid melodrama", I was there! (Tourist Trap, Homicidal or some of William Castle's other films, Dead of Winter, etc.) "Grand Guignol" seemed to be synonym for this type of film. If the acting was bad, so much the better.

Maybe I grew up and got out in the world and found out that stuff like this acutally happens, but these type of films don't appeal to me as much anymore. But I will still check them out for old time's sake on Mondo Movie Nights at our local drive-in, where they run a lot of old exploitation films and even better yet, the cheesy hype-y trailers for those films!

So my topic would be: what are your favorite "LUUUUURRID" films?

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 05:43:53 AM »

Gmorning, Ben.

Gmorning, Swoody.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~Travel Vibes, Already-(Presumably)-Departed BK~~~~~~~~[/move]

btb (by the bye in Internet Lingo), Ben, thanks for giving me Mr. Rod Zinski's number yesterday, so I could alert him to our Ozian dinner plans.  He was a welcome adition, althought DR Tpunk could not make it.

Also, for any other earlly risers, or also late risers, come to think of it, you can click here to see the St. Croix beach in a morning view.  The image is about 25 minutes behind time, but you get a new one with a Refresh every couple of minutes.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 05:45:13 AM »

Oooh, I see someone in the ocean.

It might be my DP Joe.

Gmorning, Edisaurus.
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 05:59:14 AM »

Here I am, wireless, and reporting live from the Continental Airlines President's Club, which is lovelier than lovely.  The ride here was very quick with no traffic, and happily I went right through security without a hitch (I guess I could have brought some moisturizer after all).  We  board in about thirty minutes.  

If it's this smooth getting Ye Olde Computer up and running at the hotel I shall be very happy indeed.

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 06:16:33 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!

Tried to get here in time to wish BK a smooth flight and wonderful week in NYC, but I think I just missed him.  Oh, well, it's the thought that counts.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 06:30:36 AM »

Speaking of THE CLOSER (which i also love) It has started here in Canada (we don't get TNT).  Tomorrow will be our third episode.

The last episode with Brenda's (kyra) mother was so good. Yeah!

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 06:33:13 AM »

Also tonight we have a new AMAZING RACE. And the premiere of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. Double yeah!

And after that the new show with Calista Flockhart (Brothers & Sisters) will be on at 10pm.

I am not sure if i will be able to watch TAR live (or for DR RLP when it is on at 8pm) because we are having a special dinner at 6pm.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 06:43:07 AM »

Good morning all, happy Sunday!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 06:48:45 AM »

I have no great excuse for being so E&T other than I've spent the last 2 weeks getting settled at my new job, in my new office, with my new coworkers, and most importantly with my new kids.  I definitely feel like taking this job was the right choice to make.  It's great to be back in that setting, and I'm becoming more familiar with the ins and outs of residential care.  Last year I only had day treatment cases.  So all in all, so far so good.  Exhausting but good.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 06:50:06 AM »

I'm still working a few hours a week at GMHC (which is why I was unable to meet up with Tomovoz and gang yesterday) and will continue to do so for another month or so.  I want to keep my HIV experience current on my resume and the extra money ain't bad either.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 06:50:45 AM »

Jennifer I'll be watching the Calista Flockhart show too.  I'm very interested to see it, the cast looks great.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 06:51:07 AM »

Will you forgive me, DR William F Orr, if I don't wish to think of our Esteemded BK as "departed"? Somehow, that word is filled with connotations! Some of them could even be LURID! He's gone to a better place? No, that's not quite right, either. In any case, he's taking HHW with him!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 06:52:18 AM »

Unfortunately today I will also be missing the group's get together.  I made plans many moons ago to go apple picking in the country.  It's my little touch of nature for the fall.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 07:00:03 AM »

MBarnum, you do have the most exceptional taste in films! Would you fill the newer members here in on how that developed and just what appeals to you in these flicks? Also, I must ask: given your love of Bollywood, do you also love curries and such? (You seem like a good sport and I hope you don't mind being interogated!)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2006, 07:07:31 AM »

Jeanne:

Oops!  Sorry about the wording.  Well, at least we know that once he gets to New York he will have no time to rest in peace.

TPunk:

Welcome back!  (I should talk, having been E & T and also T & E for lo these many months.)

Sorry you couldn't grace our little party  ith your presence yesterday, but it was nice to hear your lilting voice on the telephone briefly.
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2006, 07:11:10 AM »

If we knew the flight number, we could track MR BK across the country... Alas, it was not provided. :(
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2006, 07:12:03 AM »

I purchased WEIRD WOMAN on VHS where it is presented along with THE FROZEN GHOST (I think) - nice evening of lurid entertainment.

My favorite LURID drama is indeed a William Castle production HOMICIDAL!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 07:14:35 AM »

Acquanetta - according to Richard Lamparski - she married a wealthy car dealer in Arizona - became the television spokeswoman for the business, and never looked back.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2006, 07:21:39 AM »

I remember Acquanetta doing car commercials a loooong time ago.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2006, 07:25:55 AM »

Acquanetta passed away in 2004.  She and her husband had divorced in the 1980's. They had four sons.

DR EDISAURUS, I think you can safely assume that any film she appeared in could be called lurid.  8)

Acquanetta nee Mildred Davenport of Ozone, Arizona, was dubbed by Universal Studios the Venezuelan Volcano.  :P

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up