Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FIT AS A FIDDLE REDUX  (Read 29825 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:FIT AS A FIDDLE REDUX
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 07:42:23 AM »

I see that the incredibly handsome Eric Dane (Dr. McSteamy) has become a permanent cast member of GREY'S ANATOMY. And there will be storylines about his expertise in plastic surgery that will be woven into the continuing stories of the other doctors on the show.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 07:43:12 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Two Dance!![/move]

Ben

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 07:51:46 AM »

Kate and Anna McGarrigle (AKA the McGarrigle Sisters) are modern faves of mine.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2006, 07:52:17 AM »

I listen to lots of "folk" music on BBC and RTE (Radio Ireland).

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 08:02:13 AM »

TOD: The first album I ever bought on my own was "Moving", by Peter, Paul and Mary. I sbsequently bought all their albums and eschewed the hysteria surorunding The Beatles (even in 3rd grade I was an elitist music snob!) until I eventually succumbed to the lurid lure of rock and its companion, roll.

I've been fortunate, over the last few years, to work on films featuring Pete Seeger, Billy Bragg, and Arlo Guthrie and I love them all.

BTW, if you want to see how Arlo looks now (with the blessing of color-correction and a Pro-Mist filter!) if you go to our distributor's website: www.firstrunfeatures.com  they now have up our "Sacco and Vanzetti" trailer. The iflm I did with Pete Seeger and Billy Bragg is "The Internationale", and you can see a trailer for it on our website:  www.willowpondiflms.com  .
I was happy to hear Stephen Colbert mention The internationale this week; he referred to it as the "commie fight song"! (SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, lovely SPAM!)

My favorite new-ish folk singer is Roy Zimmerman. He is like a modern day left-wing Tom Lehrer. Here's his website:  www.royzimmerman.com

My favorite songs of his will give you an idea of his subject matter: "Defenders of Marriage", "Dick Cheney", "Jerry Falwell's God", "Homeland Security". The songs are VERY funny, but with a biting edge of sarcasm and fantastic rhyme schemes that I'm sure members of this community would enjoy! You can listen to samples on his site. His webmistress is sending me a few copies of his new CD....I can't wait!

And my very favorite #1 folkie is Van Dyke Parks!!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 08:11:56 AM »

DR Jose:  Sorry you didn't get the electrifying thrill from ACL that I felt in the peformance I saw at San Fran's Curran Theater.  

Of course, that theater is a bit of beaut in and of itself...it's intimate as all get-out and yet has a spacious stage/pit.

I had only the movie in my ACL past, in addition to the OBC album, of course.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 08:14:41 AM »

For Irish folk music:
Kevin Burke & Micheal O'Domhnail

For American Irish folk: The Dady Brothers, from NY
These guys are phenomenal musicians who tour Ireland every year. Their friends used to say "Gee, I wish I could go with you!". So they started taking their friends along. then it grew and grew until now they charter a luxurious motor coach, stay in nice hotels and have jam sessions every night. Local muscians show up, other musicians travel along with us, and the Dadys will crash gigs that friends are doing at local clubs.  They are very sweet guys and involved in a lot of good causes. I took my mom, her boyfriend, my best friend as well as my hubby on this trip last year and everyone had the time of their life. We all have different interests, and there was so much for everyone's interests. I highly recommend it as an easy and fun way to see the beauties of Ireland for the first time. (We plan to travel again with them in the future...)

http://www.dadybros.com/

(DADY SPAM, SPAM,SPAM!)

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 08:17:27 AM »

I loved last night's LOST.

spoilers.

I really enjoyed the new woman from the Others, Juliette.  And of course the leader guy is creepy as usual. I've loved watching him narrate some of the commercials (and the recap special last week).

I wonder now that they are focusing on the Others how much we will see of the other passengers. Or will this year be more focused on jack/sawyer/kate.

I will say that jack's backstory was not really as interesting as most have been. There were a few good tidbits. But much of it was sort of predictable (which most of the backstories have not been).

But very excellent show.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 08:20:34 AM »

Not interesting? I'm still dying to know who the man was who Jack's wife left him for? Will he turn up in some way on the island? Is he one of the Others?

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2006, 08:21:27 AM »

And it looked like the writers are setting up Juliette as Jack's love interest for this season. Something I read somewhere suggested that there will be more romance on LOST this season.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 08:22:45 AM »

Having lunch with best friend John today, so I need to go get cleaned up.

WBBL.

Edisaurus

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 08:36:23 AM »

I'm GREEN with envy---all you folks in NY have a GREAT time!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 08:48:26 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Gonna try to jog pre meeting, which means I have to wake up and do so in the next half-hour.

I agree with everything Jose said, and I thought he said it clearly and succinctly.  He's right about the sweat, too - Mike was sweating after about ten seconds, with huge dark circles under his armpits - first time I have ever seen that in ACL.

I suspect that people who've never seen a production of the show, like our very own Ron, will really enjoy and/or even love it and that's a good thing because the show is wonderful and should be seen.  I just wish that their mantra for the last year had been followed - that what we were going to get would be completely faithful to Mr. Bennett and that it wouldn't be "updated" in any way - although there was that little thrown-away caveat that the lighting might be more "modern" (it's not, just different and not quite as good), that the sound might be more modern (it's not, and it sounds the same as before, so why do they need head mics), and that the set might be more modern ("well, if new color and runner lights are "modern" then they achieved their goal - although I found it more Vegas than B'way).  Still, a new generation of kids will see and love and be inspired by it, and that's a good thing, too.

I agree about the over-cleanness.  The original (and many subsequent companies) had joy, spirit, and dancers who were not just doing the choreography, but making it their own - personalizing it).  The only time where it should be absolute precision is the finale, because that's the point of that number.  Jose is right - the "mistakes" look rehearsed and not real.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 08:54:56 AM »

Re: last night's vote out on DANCING WITH THE STARS.

spoilers.

I must say that i am not happy with this new voting system. It is really unfair, because it gives the judges very little say and the public a ton of say.

Last year it was 50-50. ANd if you got first place you got a #1 ranking (either from the judges or the public). But this year's voting is crazy. And i don't even think most people realize what they are doing.

The two worst dancers (sara evans and jerry springer) did not even make it to the bottom 2 (even though they were in the bottom from the judges).

Basically if you get a 29/30 from the judges your percent of judges vote will not be that different from if you were in last with 20/30 (maybe 12% of the judges vote to 10%).

But then they add that percentage to the public voting percentage. So if you get 25% of the public's vote (and someone else gets 15%). Then your 25% is added to your 10% (or whatever the judges gave you).

That means that the most popular should win.

Now granted many people are easily manipulated (they hated willa and now that the judges love her she is never in the bottom 2). And some people vote for the best dancers.  BUt i just don't get how monique and vivica can be the bottom 2. They are both fantastic.

I'm really disappointed with who went home (vivica). It was definitely not her time.

Edisaurus

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2006, 09:12:35 AM »

I spent a good deal of time on the phone tonight after I cleaned the den, so I only had time to watch the season finale from THE CLOSER's first season DVD set. Just love the opening when all her squad is making fun of her, and she enjoys their jokes. Finally, she starts to feel like she fits in. I loved that moment when I first saw it, and I love seeing it again and again.

This episode moved me to tears, it was such a satisfying conclusion to the season with everything coming full circle from the pilot. And the scene where she is called in to apologize was one of the best ever...it had me laughing out loud. I wondered how they could keep up the quality of the writing in the second season, but they managed to do it!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2006, 09:20:33 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Jenny.

John Kander!!!  THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH....I am reticent, oh yes, I am reticent.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2006, 09:21:02 AM »

Have fun NY group!!!  

Looking forward to hearing DROWSY CHAPERONE views from those attending.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2006, 09:21:55 AM »

Thanks to DRJOSE for his views on ACL....it is SO dear to my heart (a Walt Disney reference), that I don't think I can see it again.  Not sure I even want to buy the new Cast CD....but I might not be able to resist it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2006, 09:25:58 AM »

TOD:

I have a Limelighters LIVE at the New York World's Fair album that I enjoy VERY much.

CHAD MITCHELL TRIO...oh my....love them....Hang on the Bell, Lizzie!

Peter Paul & Mary...although when I first saw them on television I was shocked at how UNATTRACTIVE they all were....but they can SURE sing!

Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, and a couple of others.  Of course the groups like The Back Porch Majority...such fun songs and enthusiastic singers.

BUT - if I can only have ONE group....one choice....it would be The Brothers Four.  I got their albums....mostly through the Columbia Record Club....  I Never Will Marry, Greensleeves, Banua, Superman....so many of their songs.

THE BROTHERS FOUR.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2006, 09:26:46 AM »

Looking forward to the Laura/Jeffrey throw down next week on Pwoject Wunway.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2006, 09:27:38 AM »

If you go here and put in your address you can find out some interesting things about your house.   ;D

www.zillow.com

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2006, 09:45:23 AM »

I'm baaaaack after a brief stint of remodelling heck--it wasn't quite the hell some other projects have been, but still caused some big inconveniences, especially with the "new" puppy.  But we have some nice new updates to greet Tom, Colin, Mike and Jane (not to be confused with Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice) with next week.  :)

In my absence I turned down a job producing CDs for a major liturgical organization (absurdly low pay for a full time plus job) and accepted another job as a private piano teacher at a local language immersion school.

Betsy and I were seriously disturbed (stop giggling) by last night's Lost.

What's new with y'all?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2006, 09:57:30 AM »

Last night, after a satisfying Lost, der Brucer decided we were going to watch the Comedy Channel.  South Park was fairly funny, a gross-ish depiction of Internet games and those who play them.  What he really wanted to watch was the new Freak Squad.

The reason he wanted to watch Freak Squad was because one of the "superheroes" is named Log Cabin Republican, who can transform himself into a the leather-clad strongman "Burly Bear".  Totally absurd - we howled through almost the entire show.

Horseracing.  I loved the "South Park" episode, but "Freak Squad" just didn't grab me.  I didn't think that it was funny at all.  But I'm glad that you howled through it. ;) No...I really am! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2006, 09:58:41 AM »

Good day one and all!!

Have fun in NYC to those of you who are visiting the big apple!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2006, 09:59:44 AM »

I'm going to jump in and mention the many volumes of English, Irish, Scottish, American and French folk songs arranged for the concert platform by Benjamin Britten, mainly for piano and voice, but there are volumes for harp and voice and guitar and voice.  While a lot of them, because of their rather daring accompaniments, sound less like the "folksong" as we tend to recognize it filtered through the 60s folk movement, many of them - "The Last Rose of Summer," "The Ash Grove," "The Water Is Wide," for example -  are moving beyond belief and capable of great power and emotion.

Larry, have you ever heard Sarah Brightman's CD of Britten folk songs, The Trees They Grow So High[/b]?  If you have, what do you think of it?  What do you think of Sarah?? ::) I love most of what Sarah has recorded (this included). :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2006, 10:04:31 AM »

Now...off to work!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2006, 10:12:03 AM »

And as for the new crop....Cheryl Wheeler.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2006, 10:23:24 AM »

TOTD:

I tend to go more for instrumental groups than vocals..

American: I tend to like songs more than artists but I do tend to favour Peter, Paul and Mary and Chuch Suchy. Suchy is a  regional artist.  I also enjoy bluegrass. I also like Los Lobos when they used to do more of the Mexican root music.

Ben, I also enjoy the McGarrigle sisters. Excellent singers.

Metis and Canadian: La Bottine Souriante (they fuse Jazz with French-Canadian trad songs - feiry and fun to listen too) and Alex Carriere

American/Canadian Celtic: Rankin Family, Loreena McKennit, Cherish the Ladies,  Great Big Sea (Excellent singers of sea shanties), Natalie MacMaster, Ashley MacIsaac, Eileen McIvers, Reeltime, Anne Heymann, and Black 47 (they fused pop and rock with Irish trad music)

Galician (Spain) : Carlos Nunez and Luz Cabal (beautiful singer)

English / Scottish: Capercaillie (Karen Matheson has an incredible haunting voice and it goes right through you.), Robin Williamson, Talitha McKenzie, Fairport Convention, Silly Wizard,  Tannahill Weavers, Boys of the Loch, and the Battlefield Band

Breton (France): Kornog

Norway: Sissel (She started out as a folk singer and is very popular up here.)

and of course Irish Trad/Folk Music...
My all-time favorite is  The Chieftains!

I also like Altan (Mairead has a beautiful voice), Clannad, Anuna, Mary Black, Michael O Suillebhean, Matt Molloy, Derek Bell (He has recorded innumerable harp albums and classical music), Bothy Band, Kevin Burke, Tommy Potts, Sean O Riada and Ceoltoiri Cualann, Davy Spillane, DeDanaan, Deanta, Dubliners, Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem,  Seamus Ennis (wonderful piper and story teller. I am glad the Gael-Linn label is re-releasing his stuff again)

Those are the ones I can think of right now.....
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:29:20 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2006, 10:26:12 AM »

Larry, have you ever heard Sarah Brightman's CD of Britten folk songs, The Trees They Grow So High[/b]?  If you have, what do you think of it?  What do you think of Sarah?? ::) I love most of what Sarah has recorded (this included). :)

I have not seen that album George. From what I have heard from others, it is a wonderful album of Britton folk songs.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:32:28 AM by DakotaCelt »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2006, 10:34:07 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up