Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FIT AS A FIDDLE REDUX  (Read 29864 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FIT AS A FIDDLE REDUX
« on: October 05, 2006, 12:26:29 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were fit as a fiddle, and now it is time for you to post until the fit as a fiddle cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 12:15:11 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FIT AS A FIDDLE REDUX
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 12:28:48 AM »

And the word of the day is: MAJUSCULE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:30:45 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday wish for our beloved former dear reader Jenny!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:40:43 AM »

As I was saying... ;)

bk - I actually think I liked ACL just as much as you did/didn't.  I was just in a hurry earlier, so...

I knew that the orchestrations had been futzed with, but I had no idea that bits and pieces - in one case, the whole opening section - of certain songs were re-arranged, re-orchestrated and re-conceptualized.  I mean, if the song was a "pop song" back then, then keep it a "pop song" now - there's nothing wrong with that.  With all this talk from Mr. Breglio about wanting to be faithful to Michael Bennett's vision and legacy...

And I have to say my biggest quibble was not hearing a real piano in the pit.  Yes, that new Kurzweil keyboard/sample is pretty good, but that whole opening sequence has a great edge to it when it's played on a real piano.  Although, I didn't much of the music had that needed edge to it.  And I'm betting that the conductor is most likely using a click track for most of the dance sections to keep the tempos accurate - some tempos just seemed a bit too accurate, not internal "breathing" and rubato.  -I need to confirm or deny that with my friend who's playing in the pit - and who I will most likely sub in for eventually.  *And I would have also ditched the Key 3 book - even though it would be another potential sub for me - and brought in a real guitar.  That synth guitar is embarrassing.  In any case...

Alas, I think the whole production is a victim of sorts of just how much better the training of singers and dancers is nowadays.  Everybody strives to be clean.  Everybody strives to be perfect.  Perfect diction.  Clean lines.  Perfect unisons.  However, I think ACL works best when there is some "dirtiness" to it.  It just makes it more real.  *Even the "mistakes" seemed a bit too rehearsed to me.

-And, boy, do the pit singers get more of a workout than they used to!

As DR Cillaliz mentioned... I, too, wanted goosebumps, and I just didn't get them.

*And I'm also wondering why Tharon Musser's original assistant, Richard Winkler, did not get the lighting duties for the revival - especially since he's lit almost every major production of the show post-Broadway.  -I may have been sitting a bit too close to notice, but I didn't spot the Mondrian effect.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:47:52 AM »

I actually have a bunch more quibbles, but... Well... I'll just leave it at this...

Since there was so much input from a couple of the "originals" for this revival, I was surprised at some of the modifications, fudgings and adjustments that were made to the choreography.  And I was also surprised at how some things just didn't seem in a good enough unison - especially since they had the couple of weeks in San Fran and the past couple of weeks of previews here in NYC.  There were a few moments of "glaring" sloppiness - at least to me.

*And I also don't think I've seen a company sweat so much after the Opening.  Yes, "God I Hope I Get It" is quite the marathon opening number, but there were some drenched dancers on that stage this afternoon after the opening.

**Oh... If you're going to finish a number, at least finish it in your light.  Not almost two feet out of it.  :-\

OK.  Basta! Enough!  Ich habe genug.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 12:49:12 AM »

Well... I'm leading a group of people around Central Park in seven hours, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 04:14:50 AM »

I'm so very glad that everyone made safe and sound to NYC.   I hope you have a wonderful time.  

I had a scary thing just happen to men while I waiting for the bus.  A man approached me and asked for some money.  I gave him a couple bucks and he went on his way but nowdays you never knowl.  

I never felt alone before in that parking lot but I this morning.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 04:16:38 AM »

Good morning, DR Ben!  I'm glad your eye is ok!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 04:29:25 AM »

Traffic is bad this morning.

DR Vixmom I thought about our zoo visit all day yesterday and today was the walking tour!

Such good times/memories..

:)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 04:30:20 AM »

Well, no walking tour for me today.  It's work, work, work.  A four letter word.  

Have a great day everyone!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 04:42:42 AM »

Hey, Danise!

Glad you're OK. I know that strangers approaching you when you're alone can be pretty scary. Having been mugged three times in 26 years I can tell you, I get a second sense and I have no problem crossing the street or getting away if I feel uncomfortable. That's not always possible but, still, I'm glad you're OK and on the bus on the way to work!

Ben

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 04:47:28 AM »

Regarding the after-glow event at Joe Allen's, I think I must regretfully decline. I know I said we would be there but I just don't think I can do it right now. Work is catching up with me and a 10:15pm play date when I have to be at the office at 6am the next morning just will not compute. We (Anthony and I) will be seeing the show (Thank You DR Jane!!!) but we will head home after the event.

Are there any pre-show dinner plans? I would love to spend time with you all and if it's possible before the show I could do that. Keep me posted as you wander around Central Park with Tour Guide Supreme Jose!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 04:49:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: MAJUSCULE!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde
Who rested her head on the MAJUSCULE on his letterman's jacket.

(Didn't think I'd come up with one this time, did ya?!!!   ;D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 04:55:06 AM »

Well... I'm leading a group of people around Central Park in seven hours, so...

Goodnight.
Around the park?  You're never going to put a foot inside the park itself?  And why will you be taking a full seven hours to do this?

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 05:32:06 AM »

Last night, after a satisfying Lost, der Brucer decided we were going to watch the Comedy Channel.  South Park was fairly funny, a gross-ish depiction of Internet games and those who play them.  What he really wanted to watch was the new Freak Squad.

The reason he wanted to watch Freak Squad was because one of the "superheroes" is named Log Cabin Republican, who can transform himself into a the leather-clad strongman "Burly Bear".  Totally absurd - we howled through almost the entire show.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 05:53:31 AM »

It's back to work I go...

...And der B will be expecting me to actually cook dinner tonight, instead of just tossing something together at him.

:-\

Ah, at least we'll have Ugly Betty.

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 05:54:49 AM »

DR Laura-- Get back to bed; the sun isn't even up yet!!!
I like boat races.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 06:32:18 AM »

DR Laura-- Get back to bed; the sun isn't even up yet!!!

But if I'm going for a walk, this is the time to go.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 06:55:33 AM »

I guess Ginny and Richard have left town without telling anyone. According to the Front Desk Clerk at the Comfort Inn they aren't registered!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 06:56:34 AM »

Good morning, all!  Since I knew I would be out tonight, I decided to sleep in this morning.  I will work at home today, and head downtown around 5:30 with a liesurely bus ride.  I hope everyone on DR Jose's tour has a great time today.

I enjoyed PROJECT RUNWAY last night.  You're right, DR JRand56, a lot of delusional people: Angela's question about her dog dress only confirmed it.  During the previous episodes, her comments about her "Angela trademarks" made me guffaw  

TOD:  I'm sure DR Ben and I would agree: The Chad Mitchell Trio and nearly everything they ever recorded, and whom I still blame proudly for my political attitude.  I would divide their oeuvre into folk and fake song, just like nearly every other popular singer in the folk tradition.  But for the Mitchell Trio, some favorites would be thus:
   FAKE:  James James Morrison Morrison
              Come Along Home
              Willie Seton
              Four Strong Winds
              The Last Thing on My Mind
   FOLK:  The Greenland Whalers
              The Golden Vanity
I also love Judy Collins, whose "In My Life" album changed mine, Eric Anderson whose song "Thirsty Boots" still moves me beyond belief, Tom Paxton who wrote a lot of wonderful songs, and Joan Baez, especially for putting Villa-Lobos' "Bachianas Brasilieras No 5 onto her wonderful Album No. 5 and introducing me to a composer I had never heard of before then.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 07:10:40 AM »

Oh, My Yes! The Chad Mitchell Trio. As Larry says, a big influence on my political and social views. I have every album they made including some of the later less than stellar pieces (after Chad left and they became the Mitchell Trio). I still love them.

I also have (and enjoy) everything by Peter Paul and Mary.

Larry, I will be joining the group for dinner at Rosie O'Grady's Since Ginny and Richard "aren't registered" I called her cell phone and we spoke about dinner tonight. Since you will all be there we will just push our way in to the crowd. Hope you don't mind  :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 07:19:21 AM »

Larry, I will be joining the group for dinner at Rosie O'Grady's Since Ginny and Richard "aren't registered" I called her cell phone and we spoke about dinner tonight. Since you will all be there we will just push our way in to the crowd. Hope you don't mind  :D

Not in the least!  

So now I'm putting all my Eric Anderson, who's sort of a better looking Dylan wannabe with two great songs, and Judy Collins into my iTunes.  Curse you, BK, and your ilk!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 07:22:34 AM »

Good Morning!

Good Day!

How are you this beautiful day?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2006, 07:22:58 AM »

And on that note, I think I better head on down to Columbus Circle.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2006, 07:24:57 AM »

I'm going to jump in and mention the many volumes of English, Irish, Scottish, American and French folk songs arranged for the concert platform by Benjamin Britten, mainly for piano and voice, but there are volumes for harp and voice and guitar and voice.  While a lot of them, because of their rather daring accompaniments, sound less like the "folksong" as we tend to recognize it filtered through the 60s folk movement, many of them - "The Last Rose of Summer," "The Ash Grove," "The Water Is Wide," for example -  are moving beyond belief and capable of great power and emotion.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2006, 07:34:36 AM »

GOod morning!

This is the last of our summer days - high of 85 forecast for this afternoon. But because of the cool mornings, it doesn't feel like summer at all. The humidity is certainly lower than it is around here in July!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2006, 07:36:55 AM »

I dearly loved Peter, Paul, and Mary when I was growing up. That first album that had "Lemon Tree" and "If I Had a Hammer" and "500 Miles" was one of my favorite all-time non-show albums. In fact, it probably the only one I would play as consistently as MAME or MY FAIR LADY.

And, of course, when PP&M recorded "Blowin' in the Wind," well, that became my favorite folk song ever.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2006, 07:37:35 AM »

TOD:  

I'm a big, big fan of Glenn Yarborough, both as a member of The Limeliters and a solo artist.   Though it really is not a folk song, I loved his Baby, The Rain Must Fall.

I also like The Limeliters as a group as well as the Kingston Trio.  I like the Chieftains, though they're more Celtic folk, I suppose.  Two groups today that I like, which would be Bluegrass folk, are Zoe Speaks and Nickel Creek.

I'll have to think about songs.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2006, 07:38:49 AM »

I see in TV GUIDE that the PROJECT RUNWAY finale (two hours) is divided into two parts to be shown on consecutive Wednesdays starting next week. Should be interesting to see their Fashion Week designs and then hear the critiques.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 07:40:57 AM »

Of course, an insane number of high quality TV shows on tonight on all the networks. Thursday really is an embarrassment of riches in drama and comedy. I wish some of these could be spread on Friday and Saturday, but, of course, the networks barely program those nights any more.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up