Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BIDIN' MY TIME  (Read 17732 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BIDIN' MY TIME
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006, 07:58:45 AM »

Just in time for Halloween!

Page Two Dance!!!

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006, 08:06:18 AM »

I only watched about an hour of THE CREATURE WITH AN ATOM BRAIN.  It turned out to be a Sam Katzman/Clover production for Columbia directed by Edward L. Cahn.  For a guy who started out directed Our Gang two reelers at MGM, Cahn can certainly make a SLOW movie.

I tried to watch this, but it was putting me to sleep!

Right now, TCM is showing Superman serials. I remember the series, but I never knew he started out as "Man of Steel" in 1948 in a 5 part serial!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 08:14:49 AM »

If our waiter had been elderly or had problems, I wouldn't have said anything.  He was young, he would rather have been anywhere else, and he was waiting on a total of exactly three tables (four when we arrived - four with us, that is - but one table was getting their check).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2006, 08:21:52 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~GOOD VIBES~~~~~[/move]

to BK for whatever it is this morning!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Edisaurus

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006, 08:33:42 AM »

I couldn't think of any bad restaurant experiences (apart from the food poisoning incident on Larchmonth I mentioned a few days ago, and that was sort of bad-after-the-fact.) But DR Matt reminded me of a similar story.

I was travelling out west, working on a doc for the Baptist Home Mission Board. (At one point in my life, this was the only film editing work that existed in Atlanta!) The director was a very obnoxious German guy. Just a quick example: I lugged a very heavy wooden tripod in St. Louis for 10 blocks. And then a few feet from our hotel, he wanted to carry it. "I don't want people to think I made a *girl* carry everything!" If something bad happened to a crew member, he would always bemoan "Why does this sort of thing always happen to ME?" He was so self-absorbed and obnoxious that it was sometimes entertaining. Sometimes.

Out in Berkley, we went to a restaurant and there were slight problems involving getting served--nothing out of the ordinary. The director complained and we got a free round of drinks. Emboldened by this, he started looking for situations to exploit which might get him more free benefits. This guy was notoriously cheap, even though it wasn't his money, it was Baptist money! Sometimes when Greg and I worked with him, he would take our money, including our standard 20% tip, and then pay the bill and leave about an 8% tip on the table!

Back to out west...

The sound man (not MY soundman) was also enjoying this scenario. We went to a very nice restaurant---we didn't have reservations so we had to wait a bit and have a drink. The food came and even though it was perfectly fine, the soundman and director complained. It was not up to "the quality they were used to"! I told the waitress mine was great, and then these two guys harrassed me for not playing along. They made the poor waitress miserable strictly for their own gain and they even made her call the manager over at one point.

After our meal, I went back to the kitchen and found the waitress, who was almost in tears. I apoligized for my party's obnoxious behavior, told her that I knew they were going to give her a crappy tip after all that, gave her 20 per cent tip and told her: "Be thankful. You never have to see us again. I have to spend another week with these jerks!" The rest of the trip, I would take a book and sit at another table when possible.

The only plus to working with this director wass that on one shoot, I was booked with a soundman named Greg and we bonded together in the face of adversity. By the end of the trip I was totally smitten.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 08:34:55 AM »

Love the pix of Toronto...one of my favorite cities!

Edisaurus

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 08:38:48 AM »

I've always been a believer in Furphy's Law: where there's heat, there's a cat.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2006, 08:40:53 AM »

DRLaura-I wish we didn’t change our clocks tonight.  I hate when it gets dark early.

The out-of-towners will be on time today.  Tomorrow, providing you still have meetings, they will be late.  
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 08:47:15 AM by Jane »

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2006, 08:45:22 AM »

Is Daylight Savings Time over? Jeez, I just haven't a clew about anything but anthropology, logic (precious little clew...), public speaking and French art song literature these daze. Got through this grueling week, and now look forward to about fifteen hours of reading today and tomorrow, before doing it ALLOVERAGAIN!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2006, 08:45:52 AM »

So what time IS it, actually?
PennyO

Edisaurus

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 08:47:38 AM »

I know I've had grisly waits for service ina resataurant but at the moment all I can think about is the laundry romm.  

I've been going to the laundromat for over 25 years. Since we have such a huge immigrant population, the laundromat is now usually full of Mexican families with lots of screaming kids. I have developed a few games in self-defense to keep them from being so loud and miserable, or sometimes I pay them to help me match up 30 some pairs of socks.

I tell people that if they are worried about birth control for their sexually curious teenagers, send them to do laundry with me and they will never want to have unprotected sex! I have taken my 15 year-old-niece with me several times...

When we move, we will be able to use Greg's laundry pair (part of his "dowry") and do laundry at home. Wonder of wonders! Miracle of miracles!

Jane

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2006, 08:49:44 AM »

Penny, lucky for us the clock at HHW is on our time zone. ;D

Jane

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2006, 08:52:11 AM »

Edisauris-Your little French boy is cute, nice photo.

I still remember the excitement of getting my own washer & dryer, a luxury I truly appreciate.

Edisaurus

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2006, 08:52:28 AM »

DRLaura-I wish we didn’t change our clocks tonight.  I hate when it gets dark early.

Me, too! I usually stop by the new house and do a few hours of yard work to avoid traffic going north. It helps get rid of the stress of the day, I don't have the stress of sitting in Atlanta traffic and I get something done! The time change will put a stop to that, unless I am able to finish work early.

The rain has finally stopped here, blown away by strong gusts of wind. It's too wet to finish yard work there but I may try to paint the dining room.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2006, 08:52:36 AM »

Huh??? I just looked at the clocks in this apartment - they all say 8:4-something... I haven't changed them - is it really 9:forty-something in Yesterday Hours???
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2006, 08:52:48 AM »

Where the hell AM I???
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2006, 08:53:09 AM »

Penny-we spent the last week & a half entertaining folks from Hami & Palms Jr. High.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2006, 08:53:41 AM »

Penny-change the clocks when you go to bed tonight.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2006, 08:54:30 AM »

Just looked at my watch - says 8:52...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2006, 08:55:07 AM »

OOOhhhhhhhh.... it happens TONIGHT. Sheesh, I felt like I was in a twilight zone...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2006, 08:55:47 AM »

Jane - were you HERE in LA? or did everyone come up to Ashland?
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2006, 08:56:01 AM »

Time to take Sherlock for a walk.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2006, 08:56:39 AM »

(I'll be so glad to get another hour... need it, need it) I need another cup of coffee...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2006, 08:57:06 AM »

Hi to that baby boy! Hiya, Sherlock!
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2006, 08:57:26 AM »

They came here.  Ricky & Mimi, then Christina & Eric.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2006, 08:59:09 AM »

End of this week, I go into ANOTHER marathon weekend at U of SM for my Masters... time do fly by when you have a lot to do. One great thing about all this: I used to feel a little guilty and unproductive, just sitting on my caboose, reading a book... now, that's the assignment! Do practically nothing but read a book!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2006, 09:00:30 AM »

Speaking of which, off I go to read something in the range of 300 pages today. Best vibes to all, and to all a good day!
PennyO

Edisaurus

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2006, 09:05:25 AM »

Edisauris-Your little French boy is cute, nice photo.

Yes, he IS adorable. He just celebrated his 10th anniversary with his partner with a big party in Paris. (France recognizes same-sex partnerships, but not "marriage" per se.) Our S&V film was playing at a festival in Istanbul the same week and we had planned to go and make the party, but we kept reading about tourists being murdered in Turkey (sure, I want to be in a dark theatre with a bunch of tourists showing radical political films!) and the festival was completely unresponsive about giving us any information whatsoever. Since we knew we'd see him a few weeks later, we decided not to go.

My mom just mentioned last week that she would love to go to Paris, so we may plan a little trip for next year...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 09:07:22 AM by Edisaurus »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2006, 09:26:59 AM »

Have dealt with what needed dealing with and a potential deesaster has hopefully been avoided.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2006, 09:30:36 AM »

Worst restaurant experience:  Back in the eighties, my mom and dad were visiting LA.  Dad wanted to take us all to Trader Vic's which he had fond memories of when he had been out to LA years ago on business.  He also invited my friend Larry Drake and his girl at the time to come with us.  Everyone was dressed very nicely...but Larry wasn't wearing a sports jacket or coat even though what he had on was very expensive and stylish.  When we got there we found that one was supposed to wear a jacket.  They insisted on putting a jacket on Larry that was an awful navy blue, poorly designed, and, of course, didn't compliment anything he was wearing.  Nor did it fit properly as Larry is a very big guy.  When we got to our table we noticed other diners.  One where a young man (11 0r 12) was seated not wearing a jacket.  Larry, embarrassed already by being forced to wear this ill-fitting, tasteless, unfashionable jacket that clashed with what he was wearing, took it off and put it on the back of the chair.  The waiter and the maitre d' became insistent that he put it back on, he pointed out the boy not wearing any jacket.  They made the excuse that he was a child.  I got up at that point and said, "Come on, we're all leaving.  A truly classy restaurant does not humiliate their guests in this way."  We all left before we ordered and went to the Charthouse in Westwood, where we proceeded to have alovely time and my Dad thoroughly enjoyed the new restaurant.  I think he was also proud of the way that I authoritatively took the situation in hand and made the decision to leave without making a big stink or row, but wouldn't let one of our guests be embarrassed and just very simply and promptly said told management that no respectable establishment would discomfort a well-dressed patron to insist on some arcane rule.  The jacket rule was there, I'm sure, to keep people coming in dressed in t-shirts and shorts and flip-flops, but that wasn't the case.  Larry was very stylishly and tastefully dressed.  He just wasn't wearing a jacket.  I also sure that if some big Hollywood star had come in dressed as well as Larry, but no jacket, they would have bent the rigidity of their rule.

I'm coming into your establishment with six people to spend money and you treat us like white trash?  I don't think so.  No class.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up