Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BIDIN' MY TIME  (Read 17637 times)

FJL

Re:BIDIN' MY TIME
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2006, 09:35:27 AM »

I'm going to a party at the River Cafe tomorrow for which jackets are required.  It's the 80th birthday of a friend's mother and it's supposed to be a surprise.  At $200 a plate, do you think they'll let me get away with keeping my jacket on my chair?  

FJL

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2006, 09:36:05 AM »

Hope she's not reading HHW, or else the surprise is ruined.

FJL

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2006, 09:37:31 AM »

it's $200 a plate; extra if you want food on the plate.  (Just kidding.)

FJL

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2006, 09:39:40 AM »

The invitation specified no gifts.  But won't most people bring gifts anyway?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2006, 09:42:07 AM »

Trader Vick’s no longer requires a jacket.  The last time we were there, just 3 years ago, the meal was delicious & the drinks too yummy.  In honor of my mother I ordered a Mai Tai.  Half way through the drink I got the giggles-had a surprisingly wonderful time.  Surprisingly, since we ate there the evening after my sister’s funeral.  Hmmm, maybe not so surprising. :-[

Jane

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2006, 09:45:05 AM »

FJL-is a portion of the $200 going to a charity or is the restaurant that expensive?  

FJL

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2006, 09:50:20 AM »

The restaurant really is that expensive.  They're a well-off family, so they can afford it, though.  The son (who's a very old high school friend) had been talking about the menu for weeks, so he's having a great time planning it.  I guess when you compare it to what people pay for bar mitzvahs and such, $200 times 80 people, or $16,000 isn't too tremendous.  But this had better be some birthday party is all i can say.  :)  

Jane

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2006, 09:50:27 AM »

The Thanksgiving menu looks good, only $105 http://www.rivercafe.com/menu_holidays.asp

The restaurant looks very nice, add some good wines & I’m guessing the $200 covers the entire meal.
http://www.rivercafe.com

Guess I answered my own question.

FJL

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2006, 09:53:05 AM »

A favorite restaurant memory is at a 65th brithday party where the honoree's wife took oevr the Rainbow Room.  When the honoree saw all his friends shout "Surprise!" he shouted out "Separate checks!"  (He was kidding, of course.)

Jane

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2006, 09:59:57 AM »

I look forward to the details of the party.  If it says "no gifts" I wouldn't take one, just a card.  I'm sure people will take them anyway.  So what do you take an 80 year old woman with everything-a donation to her favorite charity?

Jane

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2006, 10:01:26 AM »

Your friend sounds like fun.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2006, 10:07:28 AM »

Very few places require jacket anymore, although Crustacaen in Beverly Hills is one of them - however, I have dined there sans jacket (but in slacks and nice shirt) and they were jiggy with it.  Rules made by uppity people should always be broken.  FJL, I would wear no jacket to the party - of course, if it's cold out, that's another story.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2006, 10:09:14 AM »

I am trying to remember if I have ever actually left a restaurant, and I think the answer is yes - once - Hamburger Hamlet in Hollywood - after waiting thirty minutes with no service, not even a sign of a waiter.  I got everyone's names, and I wrote the corporate offices, received huge apologies and two free meals, and I know that the staff was rebuked.

FJL

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2006, 10:09:18 AM »

I wrote a parody lyric to the tune of "L'Chaim to Life" which her children will sing to her.  (I worked for their family for a while so I knew details about her work life and her favorite yiddishisms to work into the lyric.)  If they sing it reasonably, and assuming everybody else brings gifts, i'll tell her the lyric is my gift to her.  If the song bombs, maybe I'll tell her my gift to her is on order and it didn't arrive yet. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2006, 10:10:01 AM »

I actually would have left Marie Callendar's last night, but it's the first bad experience I've ever had there.  Normally, I know the waitresses, and they take care of me.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 10:10:30 AM by bk »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2006, 10:10:05 AM »

Here's a question for you: the out-of-town folks who changed their clocks and don't know that we don't change them in Arizona -- will they be early or late for the conference today?

Early!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jane

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2006, 10:10:19 AM »

I can't think of a better gift than a song!

Jane

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2006, 10:13:07 AM »

I am going to go for a walk.  It's time I got back in shape & take care of my health.  

Jane

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2006, 10:13:54 AM »

Tomovoz-Gorgeous photos!  My compliments to the photographer.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2006, 10:17:43 AM »

Beautiful photographs Tom...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2006, 10:30:53 AM »

Worst Restaurant experience....

My worst experience happened when I and my freind Maureen went to a local Perkins Restaurant in 2000 after a late show for something to eat. We were seated and were told the waiter would be with us shortly. It was not what you call busy that night with only four other tables being supposedly serviced. We waited and waited and no one came. Another table was also waiting for service.  We did not even get water. We left after about 45 minutes and as we were walking out the door they said we owed them money. I said for what you never even came to our table and about four people were standing behind the counter making insinuations of the people in the restaurant. During our exchange, the other couple who were waiting for service also left rather ticked off. The next day, still fuming from the experience, I called and talked to the owner of the establishment and told him what had transpired and informed him i would no longer be frequenting his establishment for service to all customers should be fair and not determined on perceived orientation or station in life.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2006, 10:31:41 AM »

i'll tell her the lyric is my gift to her.

That is far better than anything you could buy in a store. Maybe you can print out  the lyrics on a nice stock and include it with a birthday card so she can read them later and remember your wonderful present.

BTW, when you wrote $200 a plate, I was assuming that this is what everyone was paying to go to the party. In that case, no present necessary! I guess I'm assocating it with fundraising events...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2006, 10:33:01 AM »

fur-phy [ fur -fee ]
–noun, plural -phies. Australian.
a false report; rumor.

[Origin: 1910–15; after Furphy carts water and rubbish carts manufactured by the Furphy family of Shepparton, Victoria, and used during World War I; cf. parallel semantic development of SCUTTLEBUTT ]

Are you sure you aren't Vixmom in disguise?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2006, 10:34:17 AM »

The song sounds like a beautiful gift

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2006, 10:39:29 AM »

Back from my every-three-weeks haircut:

I was leaving a parking garage when a woman pulls in front of me, her passenger door in front of me, and stops.  She's talking on her cell phone and sitting there with nothing preventing her from turning her wheels and moving along.  She's just decided to chat a bit, I guessed.

I blew my horn.  She gave me the finger.  I pulled my car up to within one inch of her and pressed my horn for a full 15-20 seconds.

She jumped out of her car and yelled, "Can't you see I'm waiting in a line?"

I leaned out of my car window and yelled back:  "You're behind a parked car, and you're blocking the only exit from the lot!  Get off that damned cell phone and move out of the way!"

She did.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 10:41:40 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2006, 10:45:13 AM »

I have had that happen also...

The other kicker is watching them backing out of a tight spot yakking on a cell phone and nearly hitting other vehicles in the process

FJL

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2006, 10:56:11 AM »

Just to clarify, the family of the birthday Mom is paying the $200 a plate.  :) :) :)

And it turns out the restaurant itself only requires jackets on gentlemen after 5 pm, and the party is from 12 to 4.   But the family giving the party would prefer jackets, so as long as it's a request of the friends giving the party rather than a requirment of the restaurant...

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2006, 11:12:40 AM »

I think when I'm in my 80's, a room full of men dressed up in nice jackets would also be a lovely present!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2006, 11:46:04 AM »

Dog Bosco and I had a nice walk in the fog. He is now a pooped pup and I am going to sell some things on Ebay to pay for my trip to California. Wish me luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2006, 11:47:29 AM »

Oh, and I watched a fantastic samurai flick this morning entiled WHIRLWIND. It was made by Toho in 1964 and starred a slew of actors and actresses from the Godzilla movies! I was in heaven! It was a good movie too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up