Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHADOW KNOWS  (Read 47900 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SHADOW KNOWS
« on: October 31, 2006, 12:25:23 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes went bump in the night, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - when will they come home?  The shadow knows and the shadow ain't talkin'.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 01:24:37 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE SHADOW KNOWS
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 12:27:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: LEVANT!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 12:29:32 AM »

From top of the Rock.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 12:30:49 AM »

Central Park
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 12:32:25 AM »

Thanks to Ben for the suggestion of going up the "rock".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 12:34:01 AM »

TOTD  - "The Innocents"
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 12:57:49 AM »

Topic of the Day:  "Beware! The Blob[/b]."  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 12:58:43 AM »

No, really!  I saw this late at night on TV with my sister and some friends when I was probably seven or eight years old but never saw the end of it because it was (to my seven or eight year old and very innocent mind) actually quite scary.  At that time in my life, I used to sleep on my side with my head on my pillow (of course) and my arm under my pillow with my hand sticking out towards the head of my bed.  And after I saw the movie (up to the point where I had to leave the room because it was so scary to me), I couldn't sleep with my arm under my pillow with my hand sticking out any more because I thought that the blob might be under my bed and that it might come out and eat my hand!  Not eat me...just my hand.  Even back then, I knew that it couldn't be there, but I was just afraid that it might be there.  Weird, huh?

;)

Anyway, that's the only time that I can remember a movie actually scaring me enough that I changed something in my life.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 01:27:10 AM »

Levant was a vampire right?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 01:28:00 AM »

A tale perfect for the day.... it is based on the old Jack tales from the British Islands.

The Jack O Lantern....

This tale happens on a long dark night. Jack was a jolly lad who was a bit of a hellraiser. He drank heartily and liked to live it up. One dark night he was stumbling home down a long narrow lane from a heavy night at the pub. From a distance he could see an apple tree and a man with a long coat and floppy hat standing under it. The leaves and most of the fruit on the tree had fallen off except for one lone apple.

Despite his stupor he realised that something was up and it was the prince of darkness. The devil had an appreciation for Jack for his zest for life and he wanted to take him to hell. Jack watned to strike up a deal with  to climb up and get the apple. The Prince of darkness hesitated at Jack's request. He then stated "I will climb up and get the apple." he stated. He did just that. He scampered up and got the apple and then started to climb down. Jack knowing something was up carved a cross in the tree and the devil became stuck in the tree

"What did you do that for?" asked the Devil. But not watning to let Jack go, he wanted to strike a deal. Jack listened to the devil and he stated he had one request and that was to be allowed to live a long life if he let him down and that when he died he would not go to hell. The devil agreed. Jack defaced the cross and the devil scampered down the tree. He handed Jack the apple and it was soon rotten and he threw it away.

Jack lived a long life and when he died he appeared in hell and the devil told him to go away for he honored his promise to Jack. He went to the gates of heaven and St. Peter turned him away. He was a restless soul stuck in between heaven and hell. Jack goes back to hell and pleads with the devil to let him and he feels sorry for him for he cannot take him. He throws Jack and apple and states to Jack he will have to wander the earth. However before he leaves, the devil throws him an ember and it burrows a hole into the apple to light his way. That is why when you see a light in the dark, It is Jack's restless spirit wandering the earth.

Hence forth the story of the Jack O'Lantern
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:28:57 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 03:03:40 AM »

Good morning, all!  I woke at 5:11 AM with a charley horse in my left leg.  I hope this is not a bad omen for traveling.  I am packed and ready to depart, so keep those travel vibes coming!

Last night I watched my new Region 2 DVD of THE CAT AND THE CANARY, with Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard, Douglass Montgomery, George Zucco. Gale Sondergaard, and other good character actors,  The picture is poorly framed and this wonderful film needs a better DVD release.  Since the film's never been available for sale in this country, I have no idea what the copyright issues may be.  

DR FJL, what did you do about the Met?

TOD:  The last time I mentioned THE BLAIR WITCH, there were a lot of didn't-scare-me responses.  I saw it on opening day with two friends from Barnes and Noble and only knew that it had terrified the audience at Sundance.  After the film, the three of went to dinner, had several beers, and parted ways.  When I went to bed, frightening images from the film - the handprints all over the walls, the actor standing in the corner of the basement - kept creeping into my mind and playing evil games.  I don't know exactly what tapped into my subconscious - Hansel and Gretel, child abuse, fear of the outdoors - but for weeks after the movie I slept with the lights on.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 03:11:00 AM »

Good Morning, Larry.

Good Travel Vibes!!!

I'm not a fan of scary movies, never was, so I don't have a memory of being scared. Oh, wait. I just remembered seeing a scary movie. What was it called? Oh, yeah, A Chorus Line  ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 04:05:24 AM »

I'm going to call for a car to LaGrdia.  I'll be seeing you later from Ohio.  Keep those vibes coming!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 04:20:30 AM »

Levant was a vampire right?
Levant was a vampire who played piano!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 04:23:45 AM »

And the word of the day is: LEVANT!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde
While the bandleader went LEVANT with the band's pay.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 04:36:01 AM »

I love Oscar Levant! He's always my favorite character in the movies in which he appears. And he's not too shabby on the ivories, either!

His biography is fascinating---he was a very complex, obsessive character!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 04:42:17 AM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 05:13:12 AM »

Great blocking news, MR BK.  Congrats.

Today I am working ALL DAY and then attending a seance tonight at The World of Wisdom.  Who knows WHAT will happen.  Of course, you know that tonight the veil between the physical and spirit world is at its thinnest, so don't be surprised at anything that happens.

Perhaps I can post a photo of my costume tomorrow.

DR CILLA LIZ.....my favorite costume EVER was a photo you posted last year....if you still have it....I will just say APPLE and UMBRELLA to remind you.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 05:14:29 AM »

Scariest movie:

JAWS and ROSEMARY'S BABY

THE TINGLER and HOMICIDAL!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 05:15:41 AM »

Happy Halloween!!   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 05:16:09 AM »

Rainy here today after a day of sunshine and 70 degrees on Monday!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 05:16:25 AM »

Off to work.

Pray for Rosemary's Baby.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 05:18:21 AM »

It would have to be three films.
1) The Exorcist. I saw it went I was 14 years olds when it first came out by myself. It was rated 18 years and older in Montreal and I got in it. What a film that was on the big screen!

2) The Haunting (Robert Wise version) and The Legend of Hell House. Both films took place in big mansions and there were no demons jumping out at you. Just good old fashion camera work, sound and editing to give you the creeps. The adage less is more is really true here.

3) Halloween. The first and the best. The killings were not all that gorey and it gave you real scares.

I have never seen any of the Friday the 13th films. Only one of the Freddy films and none of the other modern day slash and kill the teenager movies. They seem to always try to up the ante in new ways to kill people.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 05:20:02 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 05:23:50 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 05:28:48 AM »

Off I must go to work.

At least I'll be getting off from work while it's still daylight, and won't have to wait for der Brucer to pick me up.  (He's always late... by at least thirty minutes.   :P :-\)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 05:30:22 AM »

TOD:

Bill O'Reilly.

::)

Ben

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 05:47:59 AM »

It's supposed to be 70 degrees here also. Though I don't know what the evening will bring. It will be quite nice for those walking in the Halloween Parade. No winter coats for them!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 06:41:04 AM »

HOMICIDIAL was the movie that made my skin crawl when I first saw it at twelve.  It gave me nightmares.  I caught it once a few years back.  It doesn't have quite the same impact that it did in those formative years.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 06:59:02 AM »

DR Sandra's school costume. Tonight's will be different.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 07:23:59 AM »

Good morning!

It's cloudier here today than the last couple of days, but the temps are again going to be in the low 70s so it should be a pretty day. No rain scheduled until Thursday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up