Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHADOW KNOWS  (Read 47918 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE SHADOW KNOWS
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2006, 06:24:03 PM »

Bogie loved munching on plastic bags & I have a long bag from the cleaners hanging in the closet filled with teeth marks…..sigh.

Keep posting the cheerleader quote, it makes me smile.

Thank you, Jane, for the memory association (sigh) and the encouragement.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 06:24:44 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2006, 06:25:07 PM »

I had a bit of a laugh on my dinner break. Every year people drive in from other neighborhoods around 7:30 and hit our neighborhood. My dad finds this kind of offensive so he starts slipping the kids packets of ketchup and tarter sauce. Then we left the front door manning to my little brother and set off fireworks.

LOL! That is too funny..I can see him doing that while smiling and making it seem as if ketchup and tarter sauce were the best candy around

FJL

« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2006, 06:26:07 PM »

My trip's just going to be a quick one back and forth to and from L.A., just two days in L.A. - but Skip's going to join some business friends in San Francisco for a few days after L.A.  and then fly back from San Francisco.

Cillaliz

« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2006, 06:26:44 PM »

Nilla was in love with a shoe string. He used to walk around the house dragging the silly thing.  I found it the other day. Callie was dragging it for awhile.  Nilla also used to find my socks and decorate the house with them.  Whenever I see a sock in the middle of the floor I think of him

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2006, 06:28:56 PM »

Jhvw- It’s nice to see you again now you have moved.  Have fun at the party tonight.

DRLaura-Your little princesses are too cute!

Jennifer

« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2006, 06:49:49 PM »

DR RonP, re: halloween weather. Warm is just right!

Actually it wasn't terrible tonight. Although it was colder than expected with a bit of rain. I think it was about 40F.

Jennifer

« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2006, 06:51:48 PM »

DR Jane, little megan was under the weather and did not dress up. She is too little to eat candy, so no point in going trick or treating anyhow. Next year she will be 2 and my sister told her tonight, "next year we will go trick or treating so you can get some candy for me and daddy" :)

(not that my niece understood what she meant anyhow, but still :) )

Jennifer

« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2006, 06:57:52 PM »

Does anybody else get annoyed by the previews ABC is showing for sweeps.  I am annoyed.

I watch LOST and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES on CTV (canadian station) and the previews they show are very reasonable.  BUt i happen to see commercials for both these shows today. And there were ridiculously huge spoilers in them.

Now i know this is sweeps. And i know that they want to get people to watch. But i really did not want to know either of these huge developments that were revealed to me.

MAJOR LOST and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES SPOILERS.

Re: LOST the promo i saw on CTV said that something huge was going to happen. On ABC they announce, "one of these castaways is going to die".

Re: DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, they show the woman who will be taking the hostages in the upcoming show. They talk about the hostage situation, and they say someone will get shot (and then show a teaser).

Personally i would rather have been surprised about both of these things. Is there no way to give mild spoilers without ruining it for people who would rather not know.

I was quite happy re: LOST just knowing that something major was going to happen. And re: DH i was happy not knowing anything about the hostage thing.

Maybe most people like to know these things. But to me they gave way too much away.

Jennifer

« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2006, 07:02:18 PM »

Trick or treating was good.  But when it is cool the kids have to wear jackets under their costumes. :(

The last group of kids got a nice treat. I had a lot of candy left (and don't want to eat any after tomorrow). So i gave them handfuls and they were very happy.

At one point i wrapped little megan in a blanket and brought her to the door with me. She was sort of stunned and not sure what to make of things.  I"m not sure how much she understand period. But halloween i'm sure was very confusing. All these kids showing up looking scary and getting candy.

Jennifer

« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2006, 07:07:33 PM »

I"m not sure who to vote for for DANCING WITH THE STARS. Mario is my favorite, so i used all my phone votes on him. But i suspect he and emmitt are safe.

I really don't want joey to go home and he could be in trouble. So i will probably use my internet votes for him. Although i really don't want monique to go home either. :(

I also like the cheerleader posts. I think it depends if you like the show or not (i like it).

The funny thing is that since HEROES is on Global here we don't get the same previews. In fact i don't think we get any previews after the show is over. So DR RonP, the first few times you posted the cheerleader quote i had no idea what you were talking about.

But then when i would tape STUDIO 60 (that comes on after it), it is on NBC, so i would get the previews from NBC and they would always have the cheerleader quote. I almost wonder if people watching the show on GLOBAL here are missing out on a lot!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2006, 07:11:10 PM »

My Roomba arrived at work from eBay today, but I had to go directly to my car from the courthouse, so I didn't bring it home yet. This weekend I shall have a robot to clean my floors

It will be interesting to see how the cats react to the Roomba
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #191 on: October 31, 2006, 07:14:21 PM »

Laura, your princess visitors are adoreably precious!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 07:15:10 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #192 on: October 31, 2006, 07:17:26 PM »

Thank you, Jane, for the memory association (sigh) and the encouragement.

Ron I also agree with Jane, I have a halter from a horse I used to ride and sadly has passed on.

I also agree with Jane keep on posting the Cheerleader words...

WE need good words of encouragement in this deranged world of ours!

Cillaliz

« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2006, 08:14:45 PM »

It will be interesting to see how the cats react to the Roomba

That's an understatement

Cillaliz

« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2006, 08:15:46 PM »

JRand, found the photo you were talking about

Cillaliz

« Reply #195 on: October 31, 2006, 08:18:32 PM »

Well it's only 17 degrees. Time to cuddle up under the covers with a cat or two. Ok, even if it's a two cat night, Callie won't sleep on the bed. It's just her thing.

They have been pretty good tonight considering I had to put up all their food for the evening.  I've snuck a little to Callie a couple times and even offered some to Boo, but she wasn't interested.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #196 on: October 31, 2006, 08:20:39 PM »

I only had four rings of the doorbell - about 9 kids total.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2006, 08:20:45 PM »

Love the Magritte halloween costume!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2006, 08:25:31 PM »

While waiting for folks to come get their candy, I watched MON ONCLE.

I've had it for several months (it was the Criterion remaster which looked mostly smashing), but I was just never in the mood to watch it. I saw it years ago in a film appreciation class and not since then.

Terry Jones says in his introduction that he was disappointed when he first saw it but the film is now his favorite Tati. I have suffered a similar change of heart. I don't think it's the equal of M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY though there certainly are some hilarious sey pieces in it. But a lot of it just doesn't register or prolongs a joke past the breaking point.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: October 31, 2006, 08:27:09 PM »

HOUSE had another gripping drama plus the introduction of the fantastic David Morse as House's nemesis. I'm going to look forward to this battle between the two of them very much over the next episodes.

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2006, 08:28:50 PM »

nip/tuck

had me squirming with two VERY close calls on Dr. Troy. And surprising developments with Peter DInklege's character and Joley RIchardson's wife. Wow!

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2006, 08:30:22 PM »

I'll have four hours of shows from tonight to try to fit in tomorrow. Busy day especially if the Astaire-Rogers box comes tomorrow as I expect.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 08:31:28 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2006, 08:37:44 PM »

And now, I'm on my way to bed.

Good night!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2006, 08:38:05 PM »

DR CILLALIZ,
Do let us know how you like your Roomba. Such a wonderful concept, but the reviews on Amazon were mixed. I do know it's not useful on stairs--it needs a flat surface.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2006, 09:04:34 PM »

Halloween on my street was really wild this year. It was a warm day and a really pleasant evening, so we had more trick-or-treaters than usual.  We do an informal count of attendance by how much candy we give out. A neighbor who made two additional trips to the store told me she guesses we had 1200-1400 people. It's basically a four-block-long block party.

Our local fire department took part by driving a fire truck down the street with the firefighters in costume.

Former Virginia governor and until-recently-presidential-hopeful Mark Warner decorated his patio with low-flying cobwebs (you couldn't help but get caught in them), then he was dressed all in black, plus a mask ("I don't really know who I am," he told me, but he looked scary). The older kids "if you're really brave" (plus me) were invited to reach down into a cooler, past some really SLIMY stuff (pasta?) and pull out an "eyeball" (grape). He also had a monster with HUGE hands in attendance. It was quite fun. I had no idea he was going to do this.

Our canine costumes were a bit difficult to decipher this year. I saw two dogs as hula dancers and one as a convict (he got 2-5 years for jumping up on the table and eating the humans' dinner, I was told). Some of the others were anybody's guess.

One adult, who must be new to us, said, "It's like Bourbon Street--for kids." Lots and lots of smiles and everyone very gracious--not the usual state of affairs here in Washington.

I attended two parties on my block, but believe there were some others as well. Great fun!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2006, 09:23:45 PM »

The evening attire:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2006, 09:24:48 PM »

My princess neighbors came back a second time. I gave them each a lollipop, and then we looked for caterpillars on the vines.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2006, 09:25:49 PM »

They were the only children I recognized. Not many kids on our street. Many of the Trick-or-Treaters I'm sure don't even live in our neighborhood.

FJL

« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2006, 09:30:47 PM »

BK must be at intermission of SISTER ACT just about now.  Hope the show is looking really good, though I know BK will tell it like he sees it, either way.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:31:41 PM by FJL »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2006, 09:44:04 PM »

That's an understatement

Some years ago, my mom gave me one of those little dog robots that Radio Shack sold.  It was cute, did little tricks and yipped.

I brought it back to Oakland and put it on the floor.  Vickie was immediately on her guard over this critter that was smaller than she.

When I started it up, she was one unhappy cat.  When it began moving she ran and hid.   I put the dog away and went to retrieve her from my bedroom.

She hissed at me.   Later, she cautiously entered the living room.  She sniffed everything she could and caught no scent of another animal.  I think she forgave me.   She immediately came up to me and jumped in my lap.  She looked around a bit longer and then settled into a contented snuggle.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up