Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PHEASANT UNDER GLASS  (Read 69344 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PHEASANT UNDER GLASS
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:22:56 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were under glass like the pheasant, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently under glass, as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:37:35 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PHEASANT UNDER GLASS
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:24:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: PERORATE!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 03:46:19 AM »

First post huzzah!

How did that happen?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:47:05 AM »

Word of the day....isn't that what you do when you buy a year's supply of fertilizer in June?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:49:15 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ - thanks so much for posting the Magritte!  LOL....I love that and am going to use it someday.   8)

Here is a photo of my sister Myrna and me from yesterday's festivities at Ye Owlde World of Wisdom.

Ginny

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 03:50:09 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  I'm getting ready to leave for a 2-day conference in Columbus, OH, and probably won't be online until late tomorrow afternoon.  Even though I co-own a laptop and the hotel does have wireless, I refuse to type the password.  It's a rah-rah expression that true-blue Michigan Wolverines cannot utter. (Actually, that's not the real reason I'm not taking the MacBook - DH Richard needs it for his school work...)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 03:55:47 AM »

You and your sister look great, DR JRand!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 03:55:48 AM »

Love the b/w photos from THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X.  The characters are perfect....and the costumes...WELL...somewhere Eros and Tana are smiling.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 03:56:24 AM »

You and your sister look great, DR JRand!

Thanks, DR GINNY.  We had a lot of fun!  And I learned to do candle spirit pictures!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 03:58:42 AM »

Whew!  I did not realize Plan 9 From Outer Space is now available on a DVD that includes a COLORIZED version of the epic....  For some reason, the idea that PLAN 9 is colorized seems to me to be the perfect union of art and technology....

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 04:29:04 AM »

Nice picture, JRand! Looks like a pretty cool bookstore!

I dressed as a stressed-out editor yesterday. Nobody noticed...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 04:30:33 AM »

Off to Columbus...Bye 'til tomorrow!

Edisaurus

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 04:31:26 AM »

My little French boy got us great seats for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels tonight, so we're going with him and my cellist friend. I haven't seen the show and know nothing about it, although I do like the movies it's based on. Looking forward to a little cultcha!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 04:33:18 AM »

Off to Columbus...Bye 'til tomorrow!

Have fun in Columbus! Go Bucks! ;D

Michael

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 04:35:39 AM »

The tradition continued.

Not one person came to the door last night.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 04:37:18 AM »

TOD:

Two Brain From Planet X questions

Can you post a cast list?

Is there poster designed yet or a logo you can post?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 04:39:05 AM »

TOD part 2

And can you tell us more and/or perhaps post the article you are writing for Frontiers since most of us will not get to read it>
Never stop dreaming.

Edisaurus

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 04:42:34 AM »

TOD to ask BK: What songs will be featured on the next Guy Haines album?

But actually, I really don't want to know. Part of the joy of those CD's is discovering all these wonderful songs that Guy has unearthed, and hearing the new ones he has written with Mr. Kimmel.

So, I'd like to hear what songs other DR's would like to hear Guy sing. As I mentioned Oscar Levant yesterday, I was thinking how nice it would be to hear him sing "Blame it on my Youth". (Jamie Cullum recently resurrected this and does a lovely job.)

I'd also like to hear Guy sing "Stairway to Paradise", "Never Never Land" (from Peter Pan) and Randy Newman's "I Miss You".

Any other suggestions for a Guy Haines fantasy album?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 05:35:29 AM by Edisaurus »

FJL

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 04:48:51 AM »

Great picture, JRand!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 05:08:03 AM »

Thanks DRs FJL & EDISAURUS for the pic comments.  Always appreciated.

DR EDISAURUS  - I have the OBC for SCOUNDRELS and really enjoyed the Tony Awards show performances of Lithgow and (especially) Butz....so I am thinking it will be a FUN night!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 05:09:06 AM »

Yes, I second DR MS's post - we outlanders will want to read the Frontiers article as well.

My question for ASK BK day....what plan will you follow now?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 05:48:18 AM »

Whew!  I did not realize Plan 9 From Outer Space is now available on a DVD that includes a COLORIZED version of the epic....  For some reason, the idea that PLAN 9 is colorized seems to me to be the perfect union of art and technology....

DR JRand56, that's so brilliant I can only send you verbal hugs as tokens of affection!

Good morning, all!  I have a day planned at the library working on orchrestrations for the New York City Gay Men's Chorus holiday concert at Carnegie Hall.  My work table here has been appropriated for my dad's papers, and I don't want to disturb anything.  I will try to meet my friend Loyce later in the day and have a loverly visit.

Beyond that, I have nothing else to report.  But I will be checking in.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 06:12:53 AM »

Question for Ask BK Day.  In the notes, BK wrote:

"The problem with these endless workshops is that the invited audiences are invariably made up of friends, well-wishers, and cheerleaders, so of course the creators get marvelous “second coming” feedback."

My question for BK or anyone else, hopefully not rhetorical :) :  Don't you think, though, that given that the readings and workshops have become essentially disguised backers auditions, the system has forced the creators to stack the audiences with friends and well-wishers, since the producer and money-type people who are there will think the show is a dud if reaction from the crowd isn't vocal?  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 06:14:48 AM »

Frontiers is still being published?  I know it used to be a freebie at the bars and other places in the LA area.  But I stopped caring about it when they dropped the local comic Leonard and Larry for the very un-local (and unfunny) Chelsea Boys.  This was well before der Brucer and I switched coasts (three years ago - I think at this point we were driving to the Grand Canyon, or leaving same, one or the other).  In any case, I don't miss the rag, but I hope someone posts a link to our esteemed BK's think-piece when it is published.

See, I do read the notes!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 06:19:58 AM »

And, as long as I'm referring to the notes, maybe someone could do a riff on Day of the Triffids, with lighting equipment taking the role of the Triffids.  It could be a musical!  All singing, all dancing, and you wouldn't have to worry about the blocking because it would be all mechanical!

Just a thought.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 06:23:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: PERORATE!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde,
Which wasn't easy, considering how the bandleader was PERORATING in iambic pentameter,
Which doesn't resemble three-quarter time in the least!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006, 06:25:56 AM »

Questions for BK:
Was the casting completed for the children's show and are you happy with it? (Did I miss something?)

Would you tell us a bit about said children's show?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 06:35:21 AM »

Shakespearean wiz Leonard Donald MacDuff (known to his friends as Lee Don) would have been known as a RARE POET himself, were it not for his habit to REPEAT OR PERORATE what he had said before in the final four stanzas of every epic he wrote.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 06:54:34 AM »

DR Jennifer, I agree with you about the over-spoilage that is done in promoting shows.  One reason der B and I rarely go to the movies for ourselves is that most of the films have been condensed into the single succinct minute in the trailers, after which why bother?  The film becomes a peroration of the trailer.  (There's that word again!)

The other thing that bothers me about the sneeks, for television, is that they always make everything so important, underscoring each and every event with a doom-laden thud.  

Maybe, instead, what the previewers could try is having two or three members of the cast sit down together, and talk about the show a little, in a casual friendly way, without giving away all the details, and invite the viewers to watch the new episode.

Or maybe not.  My approach wouldn't be "dramatic" enough.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 07:06:13 AM »

Strange as some of you may think, I enjoy Heroes.  It's one of the few shows I find worth my bother.

I also enjoy Lost, Ugly Betty, Doctor Who (obviously), and look forward to the second season of EUReKA.  That, and new eps of Good Eats.

But if I miss an episode of any of these, it won't be the end of my world.  There's too much else to enjoy.  Like a good book.  Good food.  My friends at work (both my co-workers and customers).

Aside to BK - Der Brucer has a Dirty Book hidden somewhere, I'm not sure exactly where, but somewhere.  I have read a couple of the stories - the title story was wonderful - and will savor more of them when I get the chance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up