Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PHEASANT UNDER GLASS  (Read 69340 times)

MBarnum

Re:PHEASANT UNDER GLASS
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 07:51:17 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ - thanks so much for posting the Magritte!  LOL....I love that and am going to use it someday.   8)

Here is a photo of my sister Myrna and me from yesterday's festivities at Ye Owlde World of Wisdom.

Hey, JRand56, is that your kurta??

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 07:55:11 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful, gorgeous, spring-like actually, but it'll be the last of those for awhile. Clouds are supposed to be moving in later today and we'll have rain and colder temperatures for the rest of the week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 07:55:38 AM »

Nice seeing you and your sister, DR JRand. Thanks for sharing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 07:55:57 AM »

TOD:

Two Brain From Planet X questions

Can you post a cast list?

Is there poster designed yet or a logo you can post?

We're finalizing the poster today, so should have a postable version in the next day or so, and I can post a cast list as soon as I get a complete one from my stage manager.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2006, 07:56:46 AM »

I have four programs that aired last night to enjoy at some point today. In the order in which I'll watch them: VERONICA MARS, LAW & ORDER: CI, BOSTON LEGAL, and LAW & ORDER: SVU.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 07:56:52 AM »

TOD part 2

And can you tell us more and/or perhaps post the article you are writing for Frontiers since most of us will not get to read it>

It will hopefully be a humorous first person article on how the show came to be and about LACC.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2006, 07:57:34 AM »

Punkenstein and I watched THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES last night on video. Turns out TCM was showing it last night too. Now I want to see the sequel. And I wonder if Vulnavia is in the sequel.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2006, 07:58:10 AM »

Excited about the return of perhaps my favorite mystery program on the air right now: BONES. Also we only have two more LOST episodes before the hiatus, so I'm looking forward to this one tonight very much.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2006, 07:59:25 AM »

TOD to ask BK: What songs will be featured on the next Guy Haines album?

But actually, I really don't want to know. Part of the joy of those CD's is discovering all these wonderful songs that Guy has unearthed, and hearing the new ones he has written with Mr. Kimmel.

So, I'd like to hear what songs other DR's would like to hear Guy sing. As I mentioned Oscar Levant yesterday, I was thinking how nice it would be to hear him sing "Blame it on my Youth". (Jamie Cullum recently resurrected this and does a lovely job.)

I'd also like to hear Guy sing "Stairway to Paradise", "Never Never Land" (from Peter Pan) and Randy Newman's "I Miss You".

Any other suggestions for a Guy Haines fantasy album?

The song choice process is part easy/part difficult - this one will be even harder, because the stripped down nature of the CD will cause style to somewhat dictate content.  I have a few songs that I've almost done on the previous CDs because I hadn't found a take on those songs that pleased me or a way to make them sound the way I like, chart-wise.  So, one or more of those could end up here.  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2006, 08:00:37 AM »

Cool pic of World of Wisdom, JRand. And it IS a cool bookstore. I urge anyone visiting central Indiana to see for themselves.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2006, 08:01:49 AM »

Last week's promo for HEROES spoiled a moment that would have been a lot more surprising in the show had I not seen it in the promo.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2006, 08:10:10 AM »

Punkenstein and I watched THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES last night on video. Turns out TCM was showing it last night too. Now I want to see the sequel. And I wonder if Vulnavia is in the sequel.
The character Vulnavia is in Dr. Phibes Rises Again, but she is not played by the same actress.  Valli Kemp takes over for Virginia North in the second film.

Personally, I found Rises Again to be a disappointment after Abominable.  However, it's worth seeing if simply to set you up for the much more delightful charms of a third film of similar premise, Theater of Blood, which pairs Price with the appealing Diana Rigg.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2006, 08:15:02 AM »

My Halloween viewing was 1932's DR X starring Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray, and Lee Tracey....it was interesting to finally see it and it had a wonderful cast, but really the movie was dull, dull, dull....then I watched the semi-sequel from 1939 called RETURN OF DR X...with Wayne Morris, Humphrey Bogart, and Dennis Morgan...that movie was a blast!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:16:34 AM by MBarnum »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2006, 08:17:46 AM »

Der Brucer wants me to use some of the leftover turkey breast from Monday for tonight's dinner.

I've plenty of leftover mushroom gravy saved.  And there's oodles of noodles waiting to be cooked up.

This sounds like a casserole!

A casserole in need of some veg, and something crunchy to go on top.

:D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 08:18:51 AM »

Question for Ask BK Day.  In the notes, BK wrote:

"The problem with these endless workshops is that the invited audiences are invariably made up of friends, well-wishers, and cheerleaders, so of course the creators get marvelous “second coming” feedback."

My question for BK or anyone else, hopefully not rhetorical :) :  Don't you think, though, that given that the readings and workshops have become essentially disguised backers auditions, the system has forced the creators to stack the audiences with friends and well-wishers, since the producer and money-type people who are there will think the show is a dud if reaction from the crowd isn't vocal?  

Well, you said it all - what Michael Bennett evolved (the A Chorus Line workshop) has devolved into glorified backers' auditions.  Mr. Bennett designed his workshop process as a way to work out his material in a safe way.  It was not designed to have friends and cheerleaders come in nor to get backing for the show (which he had).  That's the way it went for years, and then it all changed at some point.  When I saw the Flower Drum Song "workshop" it was basically the show I saw in LA at the Taper.  Oh, a little of this and that had been done, but because everyone had clapped everyone on the back and said "GREAT SHOW!" the author and creative team just assume everything is working grandly, which, of course, it wasn't.  When we did our little staged reading of The Brain, my booklet designer said it was one of the best readings he'd ever seen and that in his opinion nothing should have been changed.  Well, that was very sweet, and I sure knew better, as did my writing partner.  I learned exactly what I needed to learn and I'm sure I'll be learning more over the next few weeks.  After the show that became Bounce had its famed workshop, I did a ten questions with Stephen Sondheim at the old jernt and asked him about workshops and what they've become - he was vitriolic about it and said "never again."  You read on the chatboards every single day about new readings and new workshops and gee, everyone, come on down and be supportive and it's all just horse pucky and does no one any good.

I always use Seussical and Sweet Smell as examples - you could not have had better buzz coming out of a workshop (in Toronto) - I mean, everyone was saying "watch out - these are going to be mega-hits."  Then, both shows opened in their out of town tryouts and the creators found out the truth - they should not have gotten cocky and they had cold water thrown at them and I don't think in either case were they prepared for it or prepared to do the work it would have taken to fix them.  Seussical went through the most changing - it got better, and has had a life in stock and amateur, but it certainly was not the show you would have thought we were getting after that workshop buzz.  Sweet Smell had gotten too far along for its creators to do anything - and that's the other problem - technology has basically killed what out of town tryouts are for.  In days of old, if something wasn't working out it went, new things went in daily and that was that.  Sets were changed, lighting was changed, everything was changed in service of the SHOW.  Now, it is virtually impossible to do major surgery without closing down and taking weeks to redo things.  That's because shows have become all about the technology and not the show - the lights are all programmed into a computer - very difficult to just change cues now - the sets are all programmed and the whole show is like a machine that must go forward no matter what.  So, you can do cosmetic fixes, but it's much more difficult to start inserting new scenes or shuffling scenes around.  Out of town tryouts weren't there so that you'd do the show, shut down for a month or three, then go to B'way.  You did your out of town run, fixed what needed to be fixed, and went to B'way, had a brief period of previews and opened.  

Creators and producers spend too much time reading chat boards and not enough time being creative and listening to their own hearts and minds - in today's world, everyone is an armchair critic, and most are teenage armchair critics - everyone's got an opinion, only each person's opinion is different and that way madness lies.  Do we think that Jerome Robbins, Arthur Laurents, Stephen Sondheim, and Jule Styne would have been on the chat boards reading the bitchy invective and then worrying about it?  No, they would have been watching their show, listening to the nightly audiences, and doing what needed to be done.  That's why Forum fixed itself without benefit of chat boards, that's how every successful musical that had some out of town woes did it - they did their work, they were pros, if they needed other eyes they brought in professionals, and we got classic B'way musicals.  Obviously, some creators weren't able to fix their shows because the shows weren't good - and all the workshops and readings in the world wouldn't have changed it one bit because of all the gladhanding and back clapping.

Well, that was long, wasn't it?

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2006, 08:19:19 AM »

Last week's promo for HEROES spoiled a moment that would have been a lot more surprising in the show had I not seen it in the promo.

I agree, and I really try to avoid promos and previews wherever possible. I read on the internet that the producer of HEROES was also angry about that revelatory promo, but that is the network's doing, not his.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2006, 08:19:35 AM »

Tonight, of course, would be the appropriate night to watch Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2006, 08:20:11 AM »

Nice to see Rodzinski back!

Apparently my internal clock is now set earlier, as I was up at seven-thirty, which isn't a problem unless you got to bed at two.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2006, 08:23:53 AM »

Argh!  Next week's DVD releases are a treasure trove of classic films:

the collections for Gary Cooper and Marlon Brando containing some fabulous films, the Rodgers & Hammerstein Fox musical remasterings plus the release of FLOWER DRUM SONG from Universal, OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR, and the wonderfully silly and entertaining POLICE SQUAD! (all six episodes).

I see an empty wallet on the way.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2006, 08:25:22 AM »

BK, thanks for ranting about my two big gripes with today's musicals.  Technical tricks (lighting, orchestrations, etc) that try to manipulate the audience's emotions because the play is failing to genuinely move them.  And visible microphones!!! What happened to vocal projection and voices trained to hit the back wall of the theatre?  I remember Tom Jones' story about Inga Swenson's arguing with David Merrick, refusing to wear a mic and saying to him:  "I want to control my own performance!"  Bravo, Inga, would that all performers were so disciplined and dedicated.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2006, 08:25:31 AM »

I'm sure I saw the same previews for "Heroes" that others saw, but nothing was actually ruined for me (I may not have been paying close attention, though).

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Save the Cheerleader...save the World![/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2006, 08:26:54 AM »

The day here hasn't decided what it wants to be.  Forecasts a day or two ago said it would rain today.  The sun is doing its darnedest to burn off the marine layer.  It's a very, very, very BRIGHT sky right now...blindingly bright.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2006, 08:27:19 AM »

My internal clock is shifting, too.  The internal clocks of the doggies, however, aren't shifting one bit.  The sun reaches a certain angle, and dang it all, it's time for doggie biscuit breakfast!  And they gang up on me to make sure I know what time it is, too!

They each have a particular place where they like to take their biscuits.  Marty likes to have his on my bed, Bonnie takes hers to the living room couch, Mikey hides in here in the study.  Fletcher and Buster crunch away on der Brucer's bed, rousing him some.  We've never figured out why Buster runs to der B's bed, always to the same exact corner.

And it's now time to head to work.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2006, 08:30:32 AM »

Well, I have a technical seminar this morning on a new procedures to acquire control identification numbers for contracts prior to submitting said contracts to the Board of Supervisors for their approval.  These numbers, I'm led to believe, will allow the auditor's office an efficient means ot tracking everything associated with the contract (since the ID number must be entered every time you do anything regarding a specific contract).

I swear...the more simplification that gets introduced via software programs, the more difficult work becomes because of all the data entry that must be done every day for every function involving everything.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2006, 08:34:04 AM »

Nothing exceeds like excess.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2006, 08:34:30 AM »

Off to tend to some household chores before starting on lunch preparation and a full afternoon of TV viewing.

WBBL.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2006, 08:47:07 AM »

Re:  BK's rant--I guess we can move on to blaming Elmoore (an orchestrator) and give Jose a break!   ;)

Ask BK:  may have missed it whilst being E&T, but what do you think of the OCR of Grey Gardens?  It's the first show in a long time I have played repeatedly, to increasing delight.

For those of you who love salsa music, I highly recommend the Contemporary Christian group (don't let that scare you--their lyrics are fairly innocuous) Salvador.  Absolutely crackling charts with incredible horns!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2006, 08:57:23 AM »

What happened to vocal projection and voices trained to hit the back wall of the theatre?

I told my husband (a sound recordist) about all the body mics that are being worn even in high school producitons, and he was amazed and asked the very same question! Does that means that the younger generation isn't getting this training any more?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2006, 09:02:47 AM »

On The Closer promos, we make it a point not to include anything that might give the ending away. But in the past we have been forced to do these dramatic hype-filled promos because the powers that be don't have confidence in their product and suffer from low network esteem. So they copy what all the big networks are doing. "With an ending that will surprise you"..."the most dramatic ending ever"..."this is the episode that will blow you away", etc. They even did a compilation reel of all the network hype spots, wanting us to copy them!

Fortunately, they have realized that this doesn't work so well, and I think in our next season we will be allowed to sell the show more on its own merit.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2006, 09:09:24 AM »

Re:  BK's rant--I guess we can move on to blaming Elmoore (an orchestrator) and give Jose a break!   ;)

Ask BK:  may have missed it whilst being E&T, but what do you think of the OCR of Grey Gardens?  It's the first show in a long time I have played repeatedly, to increasing delight.

For those of you who love salsa music, I highly recommend the Contemporary Christian group (don't let that scare you--their lyrics are fairly innocuous) Salvador.  Absolutely crackling charts with incredible horns!

Happily, I have worked with elmore since 1993 and he has never resorted to those kinds of cheap, sleazy orchestration tricks.  And no one loves buttons more than I, and other CD producers now regularly emulate what I do on big buttons on CDs (not that they'd admit it), and basically musicals do to - since they didn't pre-1993 (when I began doing recordings), I'd like to think they ran with my little idea.  They just ran too far and, as always, too much.  It's okay to do it on one or two numbers, but when you do it on ALL the numbers, it just becomes crass.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:36:11 AM by bk »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up