Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LOOKING FOR LOVE IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES  (Read 68351 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LOOKING FOR LOVE IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES
« on: November 02, 2006, 12:35:45 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were Bb and B#, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're trying to sing Bb and B# at the same time and even the stupidest cow (and you know who you are) knows you can't be flat and be sharp at the same time.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 12:12:54 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LOOKING FOR LOVE IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 12:37:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: CRABWISE!

Michael

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 04:36:12 AM »

If you like I can take a stab at The planet x myspace page.

And how is it I am the first poster today???

TOD:

Listening to Baroque music. It relaxes me.

And for all those students out there studies show that if you have to listen to music while studying, baroque is the best kind
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 04:38:40 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:39:17 AM »

never had crabwise or otherwise.
Never stop dreaming.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 05:01:08 AM »

So, the little French boy took us, along with our cellist friend to see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. We all enjoyed it, but I think we would have even liked it better if we could hear more of the lyrics. The mix wasn't good and the band frequently drowned out the singers. We had good seats, 5th row loge, in our spectacular movie palace, The Fox Theatre. (This was one of the very few historic buildings that Atlanta has managed to save--- a real treasure.)

The character of Lawrence (the Michael Caine role in the movie) was played to the hilt by Tom Hewitt, who played Officer Lockstock in the touring company of "Urinetown". He was perfect for the role.

Freddy was a little over the top---if he didn't sing to the balcony, his physical humor certainly made it to the back row, which is probably what the role requires.

The dancers were beautiful, the costumes sublime, the set magical, but at the same time I found myself viewing this show from a slightly altered point of view, after spending time here in Hainesworld.

I found myself evaulating the buttons, and thinking about what a showy show it was, but how much more I would have enjoyed it if I could hear some of the obviously witty rhymes and dialogue. All these actors had body mics. The womens' voices cut through the accompaniment a little better than the mens'.

The show seemed a little long. At intermission, we felt like we had seen most of the story and were trying to remember what was left, plot-wise. Greg had never seen the original movie, so we couldn't talk too much about what the ending might hold.

The play seemed to follow the film pretty closely in the first half, but in the second, there was a new storyline added with the secondary characters. Arthur the butler was merged with the Inspector for the sake of simplicity. (For some reason, I was thinking that the inspector in the movie was played by Jean Reno, but now I think I'm confusing it with a similar role he must hav eplayed in another movie.)

We all seemed to enjoy the second act even more than the first, even though I felt that the subplot slowed things down a bit and the whole show seemed to have one too many endings. But still, a great night at the theatre.

Afterwards, the cellist and I went down to the pit to see who we knew in the orchestra. They were local musicians but they played the music so well that you'd  think they had been touring with the show, too. We had friends among the musicians, (some used to play in the orchestra I worked for for years) including the percussionist, who played at our wedding with his steel drum band.

I will say that being in the HHW group for even a short time really enhanced my appreciation of this show and the work involved in creating it.  Thanks to everyone who shares their stories here!

(Forgive my typos, I'm typing one-handed while being buried by a large and oppresive cat.)

And now, SPOILER ALERT:

I remember the original movie that DRS was based on: "Bedtime Story" with Brando and Niven. But I didn't remember the soap queen one-upping them in the end. Was this an 80's invention? I couldn't remember how the original ended.

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 05:03:08 AM »

*I* would have been the first poster but it took me too long to write my post while struggling under the weight of this burrowing tasmanian marsupial!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 05:06:28 AM »

I think I'll relax now by going back to bed!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 05:35:32 AM »

Good morning, all!  Where are all my early morning cohorts?

Dear Friend BK, you will not find love at Staples, trust me.  I was there yesterday: pencils, erasers, ink, and lots of fascinating curios, but no love.

Today I return to the library to continue my holiday arranging; after I redo a few of the tables and the snack room, I may actually write some music.[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~VIBES TO DR KERRY'S MOM! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [/color][/move]
TOD:  a hot bath
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 05:37:01 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 05:50:10 AM »

good morning....I quit looking for love...now I'd just like to find my wristwatch

Cillaliz

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 05:51:23 AM »

TOD
- Intensive movie therapy - at least a double feature (I once did 4 movies in 2 days) at the theater by myself in a seat with no one on either side of me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 05:51:50 AM »

Either that or 3 or 4 times around a wooden rollercoaster.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 05:52:21 AM »

When neither of the above is available - I go for a hot bath and a hot fudge sundae

Cillaliz

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 05:52:39 AM »

Not at the same time

Cillaliz

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 05:53:59 AM »

On that happy note, I'm thinking maybe a mocha would be a treat on the way to work this morning.....I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!!!!!

Ben

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 06:01:16 AM »

{{{{{Kerry's Mother}}}}}

Those are virtual hugs BTW

Ben

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 06:02:24 AM »

Company was a disappointment. I'll go into detail later but suffice it to say I think the stripped down Actor as Musician phase of the Broadway musical may be coming to an end after Company opens.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 06:03:41 AM »

But apparently Jimmy Buffett found love in a library...once upon a time.
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

Ben

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 06:04:59 AM »

Welcome SingingNymph!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 06:24:15 AM »

And then, as Wardell found out, the attempt at looking for love in all the wrong places had some unpleasant side effects, CRABWISE.

MusicGuy

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 06:27:22 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were Bb and B#, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're trying to sing Bb and B# at the same time ...........

(OK, I warn you, it is now "smart-ass time" this early in the day!)

Actually, if you play Bb and B# together, very stacatto, 6 times in a row......you have just played the opening of "Chopsticks."

God, the nuggets of wisdom here on HHW.  :)

MusicGuy

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 06:30:22 AM »

Good morning dear Esteemed, blocked, searching, and glowingly healthy (crabwise) BK --

Just my quick hello before heading out the door.

And now......Dino - playing Bb and B# - at the piano.

Edisaurus

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 06:43:40 AM »

Welcome to Singingnymph! I saw you here earlier when I posted but by the time I hit send, the nymph had flitted away. An MST3K fan as well, I see!

Edisaurus

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 06:45:17 AM »

Love is a STAPLE of my existence.

Edisaurus

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 06:47:09 AM »

Vibes for Kerry's Mom!

Edisaurus

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 07:01:07 AM »

As for the TOD: I've never quite figured out how to relax and zone out. Probably watching movies at home would be the closest thing, but if something is bothering me, it robs me of my rest and I have never found a way to banish it from my thoughts. Fortunately, this doesn't happen too often!

Again with the cat! It musy be getting cold here.

Oh, wait...I do have something that helps me de-stress...a large cat jumping on your lap and making out with you and then settling down on your chest, purring. Always works! I guess that's what he's been trying tp tell me....

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 07:08:51 AM »

RE: the notes and the young man who's been out of rehearsal for a week.  Since when do you get off rehearsal for your birthday???!!!!  First, actors can't hit the back wall and have to have big visible mics sticking out of their hair or strapped to their face, ruining the the suspension of disbelief...and now they get off rehearsal for their birthdays. What's next getting the weekends off.  I can't tell you how many birthdays, holidays, sibling's weddings, and grandparents funerals I've missed because I was doing a show.  Where's the discipline, the dedication, the show must go on?  What a crop of wussies we're training in the theatre these days...or not training, as the case may be...

TOD:  I usually take a long walk...or spend the day curled up in bed reading.  I did the latter the other day, reading about three plays.  Great fun. And very relaxing...to lose oneself in a book.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 07:18:10 AM »

Good morning!

We got one more day of grace. Another beautiful morning before real autumn sets in. It's just glorious outside, but it's supposed to get cold tonight (it was only 52 last night!)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 07:19:35 AM »

I have a "massage sofa" which offers pulsation and heat and is the perfect place to go to unwind. I stretch out on it and either read something light or nap. Really enjoyable, but I try not to use it too much. It makes the times I do use it very special.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006, 07:22:05 AM »

I've got 30 ROCK and CSI: NY from last night to watch. Otherwise, I'll be DVDing it today. And I didn't get my Astaire-Rogers box yesterday as anticipated. I have a feeling the mailman just didn't want to deliver any boxes and left them in the storage box up the street. I'm expecting some other things, too, and none of it came yesterday. In fact, the mail didn't get here until 5, so I think he just delivered the bare minimum so he could get off work.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006, 07:22:06 AM »

Vibes for KERRY's MOM! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up