Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: YES  (Read 42415 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:YES
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2006, 10:14:05 AM »

Awwwww...Fletcher...I'm glad he's feeling better!

Der B, does Fletcher have hearing loss?

100% - he wouldn't react to jack-hammers in concrete!

Naturally, with a totally deaf dog, you yell louder :(

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2006, 10:19:57 AM »

Evidently I have never made an effort to see too many Paul Newman movies. I have seen HUD which I watched as a teenager, but only in order to see the seen that Yvette Vickers was in...and I have seen TOWERING INFERNO but frankly I had forgotten Newman was in it.

I think one thing that has kept me from seeing too many Paul Newman films is because it always seemed like then I would be seeing too many Joanne Woodward films.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2006, 10:23:46 AM »

Because of Fletcher's deafness, I think it most important that he can sense a human touch when he comes out of his seizures. Fortunately, unlike some deaf dogs, he doesn't have an immediate "bite reflex" to being startled. I was stroking his belly when he was seizing the other night. Moments after he stopped seizing, and before he opened his eyes, his tail started wagging :D
He then opened his eyes and licked Woody's hand.

Moments like that make the other annoyances worthwhile.

der Brucer  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2006, 10:32:13 AM »

The only Paul Newman films that I can remember seeing are:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Sting

Loved them all. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2006, 10:36:05 AM »

CHAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF - that's the name of something, isn't it?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2006, 10:37:13 AM »

Edisauris-That doll is going to give me nightmares, granted it doesn’t take much to give me nightmares. :o

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2006, 10:41:38 AM »

Newman did not make that many films with Joanne as his co-star.  In one of the best, "From the Terrace", they had an adversarial relationship.

Newman in "Cat on a Hot Tin roof", "The Left-Handed Gun," "Exodus", "The Hustler", "Hud", "Cool Hand Luke", et al, defined masculinity in the movies in the late 1950s and all through the 1960s.  Joanne Woodward wasn't in a single one of them.

My favorite Newman film from that era is "The Young Philadelphians"!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 10:42:39 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2006, 10:44:35 AM »

DR Jane:  I can't remember whether it was "Somebody Up There Likes Me" or "Until They Sail" that I saw first saw Newman in on TV....both aired on Saturday Night at the Movies in the 1960s.  I did see "Exodus" at the movies in 1960 or 61, though.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2006, 10:47:18 AM »

Edisauris-That doll is going to give me nightmares, granted it doesn’t take much to give me nightmares. :o

DRJane:

BOO!

Jane

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2006, 10:50:55 AM »

;D

George

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2006, 10:51:28 AM »

I've been living in my new place for about a month now, but without a working garage door opener remote.  It came with one and I changed the battery, but it still didn't work (it's a Craftsman from Sears).  I didn't know if I would have to go to Sears or call a repairmanperson, so I tried looking on the Internet instead.  I searched the serial number and came up with instructions on how to reset the remote and it worked!  All I had to do was push one button on the opener unit (and the light blinked like it was supposed to), then I hit the button on the remote and that was it!  It's fixed and working!  Yea!  I can park my car in my garage.  Now I just have to get used to actually parking in the garage.  I'm not quite used to making the turn into it, yet.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2006, 10:52:34 AM »

And since my automatic garage door opener worked, I decided to replace the deadbolt on the back garage door that faces my condo front door (I bought a whole bunch of new door knobs a couple of weeks ago).  The reason I wanted to change it is that there was only a dead bolt...no door knob at all AND no key!  I could only go through that door by going into the garage through the big door and then turning the bolt from inside to go out.  Well, I got the new locking door knob installed quite easily last night and when I tried the key...IT DIDN'T WORK!!  It fit in the key slot, but it's not the right key!  When I bought it, I noticed that it was stapled shut, so I guess that someone bought it and brought it back (there were no parts missing), but they brought it back with the wrong keys. :P I was planning on having two separate keys for my front door and the door into the garage (for security reasons...and I didn't want to have to pay to have it rekeyed), but now I'm going to have to.  I'll also have to make sure that the new door knob that I got for my front door has the correct key.  It doesn't look like it's been opened at all.  But I'll check.

George

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2006, 10:53:29 AM »

And now, I'm going to take a shower, then go to work for a couple of hours, then get my oil changed...it's been a little too long since my last oil change and lube. ::)

George

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2006, 10:55:28 AM »

Have a good day, all! ;D

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2006, 10:55:32 AM »

Which team is "Blue"?

The University of Michigan.

Someone else can tell you what the cheer is for Ohio State.  I've only uttered it once in my life.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 10:57:26 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2006, 10:57:17 AM »

Newman did not make that many films with Joanne as his co-star.  In one of the best, "From the Terrace", they had an adversarial relationship.

Newman in "Cat on a Hot Tin roof", "The Left-Handed Gun," "Exodus", "The Hustler", "Hud", "Cool Hand Luke", et al, defined masculinity in the movies in the late 1950s and all through the 1960s.  Joanne Woodward wasn't in a single one of them.

In 1963 she was in A NEW KIND OF LOVE.  Maybe I should call that a guilty pleasure, not a great movie but I like it.

In 1958 they did THE LONG HOT SUMMER together.

She did take a long break from films to stay at home with the children.  Lucky for them but I missed her.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2006, 11:00:06 AM »

DR Jane:  I can't remember whether it was "Somebody Up There Likes Me" or "Until They Sail" that I saw first saw Newman in on TV....both aired on Saturday Night at the Movies in the 1960s.  I did see "Exodus" at the movies in 1960 or 61, though.

Then possibly EXODUS was his first film I saw at the movies.

I tend to like his lighter films such as THE SECRET WAR OF HARRY FRIGG.

td

• td
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »

If you hurry over to youtube.com there is a booted copy of Jennifer Hudson's "And I Am Telling You" which will probably be taken down quite quickly. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2006, 11:37:40 AM »

Good Morning All!

Paul Newman Favs
My most favorite film of Paul Newman's is THE VERDICT. A perfect movie with Paul at the top of his form. Two favorite scenes: When he goes to visit his comatose client in the hospital (no dialogue) andwhen he gives his summation in the courtroom (all dialogue). Absolutely superior acting. The kind that makes me sw-o-o-o-n!

Absence of Malice
Blaze
The Sting
Exodus
Paris Blues
The Hustler
Somebody Up There Likes Me

I believe I first saw him on television. The first movie was either THE HELEN MORGAN STORY or UNTIL THEY SAIL.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2006, 11:44:48 AM »

The first Paul Newman film I remember seeing was CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.  I saw it for Paul and Liz, but I fell in love with it becasue of Burl Ives.  I wish that I could play Big Daddy before I die.

The only strange part was these hints they kept dropping about Skipper.  They couldn't possibly mean that he was...........
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2006, 12:02:13 PM »

The first Paul Newman film I remember seeing was

The only strange part was these hints they kept dropping about Skipper.  They couldn't possibly mean that he was...........

...going to spend a lot of time on that damn Island!

der Brucer

td

• td
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2006, 12:03:15 PM »

Also on youtube, there were clips from the Tacoma production of DREAMGIRLS, but, alas, I didn't see DR TCB in any of those clips. . .

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2006, 12:20:02 PM »

Believe it or not, I have seen two Paul Newman movies. My much-older sister took me to see "The Sting" and "Butch Cassidy" way back many years ago.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2006, 12:46:14 PM »

Also on youtube, there were clips from the Tacoma production of DREAMGIRLS, but, alas, I didn't see DR TCB in any of those clips. . .

Yes, there is.  That's me in the Finale, stage right.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2006, 01:14:15 PM »

CHAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF - that's the name of something, isn't it?
I think it's a kind of ice cream.
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2006, 01:36:26 PM »

Clouds are rolling in which should make for a rather bleak evening. It's still pretty cold out (and going to get even colder in the next few days; highs not getting out of the 40s then.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2006, 01:41:08 PM »

Paul Newman and Eva Marie Saint starred in that musical version of OUR TOWN on TV where Frank Sintra played the Stage Manager and sang "Love and Marriage." I've never seen that entire show but I have seen excerpts. Paul looks like a god in that.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 01:41:41 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2006, 01:44:58 PM »

I spent the entire afternoon viewing time watching SOUTH PACIFIC and listening to the commentary. Ted Chapin didn't really have much to say but attempted to answer questions posed to him. SOmetimes he knew the answers but often he didn't.

The picture is simply stunning on the new DVD. Yes, I still despise the color filters, and now with the new enhanced transfers, they are deeper and more saturated than ever and thus more bothersome. Still, the scenes without them have simply stunning Technicolor photography. Awesome to watch. I may wait and watch the roadshow version at a later date. There's only so much SOUTH PACIFIC that I can take at one time.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2006, 01:47:54 PM »

Still don't know if THE DAVINCI CODE screening is going to happen tonight or not. If not, I'll probably watch MONK and then REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE tonight.

td

• td
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2006, 01:59:27 PM »

DR MattH - I do  so adore how your mind works; I'm at this very moment taking a break from THE DA VINCI CODE (the transfer is top notch, btw) to feed & walk the dog and planned on SOUTH PACIFIC for later this evening!
A few nights ago, I watched and tremendously enjoyed REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE.

DR TCB - someday (or night) you're going to have to show me all of your DREAMGIRLS moves . . .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up