Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS IS THE WEEK  (Read 21445 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THIS IS THE WEEK
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2006, 07:49:57 AM »

Good morning, all!  My inner clock wakes me up at 5 am, knowing that in my part of the world it's really 8 am. and now it's 6:45!  I will soon pull myself away from Ogden Drive in search of a bus and make my way to LACC, where I hope to finish the Entr'Acte in time for today's band rehearsal.  I did about 5-6 cues yesterday and I have to gather more from the musical director this afternoon.

I'm signing off!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2006, 07:50:30 AM »

DR Cillaliz - I, too, would like to be going to LA this weekend, but it's not a good time, work-wise and family-wise, for me to be away.  

I am going through a little of what you did last week:  I have an all-day training in Columbus on Wednesday which would mean leaving home before 7am, driving 2+ hours, sitting through a 6-hour class, and driving 2+hours home.  The weather forecast for Wednesday is iffy, so I've made a hotel reservation and may go tomorrow afternoon.  If the forecast clears in the next 24 hours, though, I can cancel my hotel.  ARRGH, and I'll have to go through this angst again Dec. 17-18 over a trip to Cleveland!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2006, 07:51:41 AM »

Hi, DR Elmore - have a great week!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2006, 08:08:35 AM »

Thanks, everybody, for the reassurances that we can get Skip's miles at check-in or even later.  One less thing to think about.  

Now I can immerse myself in obsessing about the weather report for traveling on Friday.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2006, 08:19:22 AM »

Last night DR derBrucer wrote:

"The characters in Brokeback Mountain were NOT cowboys and/or ranchers (IMDB notwithstanding). - they were sheepherders!"

We've had this argument before. They WERE cowboys. Both participated in the rodeo (Ennis mentioned that he rodeoed whenever he had the enbtry fee, and we see Jack riding bulls), and Jack often worked on his father's ranch before he was married and started working in his wife's father's business.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »

...Now I can immerse myself in obsessing about the weather report for traveling on Friday.

We're good at that here, aren't we?

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2006, 08:40:48 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful but cold here and to remain so all week. Rain expected Friday, but otherwise, four days of the same weather. No complaints. This is what December should be like here.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2006, 08:42:09 AM »

I thought maybe the notes were an April Fool's Day joke in December, but I'm sure bk will solve the problem when he awakens from his slumbers.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2006, 08:42:51 AM »

Reminder:

THE CLOSER airs its two hour special edition both at 8 p.m. and again at 10 p.m. tonight.

I'll be watching the 8 p.m. version "live." Can't wait!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2006, 08:43:40 AM »

Well, I would venture that since Sunday's title was The Repeated Motif and it was still Sunday when Bruce wrote the notes, he was simply repeating the motif!

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2006, 08:44:10 AM »

I'm having lunch with best friend John today as usual (and hear his report on the tour of SPAMALOT which is currently playing here). He and I saw the show in NYC two summers ago, and I'll be interested to see his comparisons of the two productions.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2006, 08:46:18 AM »

This afternoon, my department is having a quarterly meeting.  In December, that always includes a potluck luncheon.  Our managers are providing pizza and the rest of us have brought side dishes - snacks or desserts.  My contribution is a simple Fiesta Dip with chips and veggies.  I will have a full food report later.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2006, 08:47:34 AM »

Still waiting on the arrival of SUPERMAN RETURNS and BONES from Amazon. Shipped LAST Monday.

I'll probably start on BONES this afternoon if it comes, and if not, pick back up with the MURDER SHE WROTE Season 4 set.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2006, 08:56:16 AM »

Heading down now to clean up for my lunch date.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2006, 08:56:53 AM »

...Now I can immerse myself in obsessing about the weather report for traveling on Friday.

I refer to this as "chicken littling."  I do a lot of it in the wintertime.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2006, 09:19:53 AM »

What a revoltin' predicament this is - part one of the notes twice - that's a first (or, in reality, a twice).  It has been fixed so go read part two now and you'll know the topic.  Something must have happened when I cut and pasted part two - apparently part one didn't want to be gotten rid of so easily.  Oh, well, it's been rectified, oh, yes, it's been rectified.

FJL

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2006, 09:36:27 AM »

Dean Martin films - I remember being kind of taken with his performance in THE SILENCERS, so much so that I saw the film twice back in the day when seeing movies over and over in the theater was not the norm.  Also, loved BELLS ARE RINGING.

FJL

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2006, 09:43:12 AM »

Shirley MacLaine's performances do vary for me, and I have  liked her in many of her usually mentioned acclaimed performances, but I really really loved her in a piece of fluff called ASK ANY GIRL.  

FJL

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2006, 09:49:16 AM »

None of Tony Curtis' screen performances truly stand out from the others for me, except SPARTACUS when he sang that song  :) , but I had such a great time seeing him live onstage in SOME LIKE IT HOT a few years ago.  It was a tentative performance when he danced, but the comic timing was impeccable, and the love of the audience for him almost insane, even though he didn't appear until about an hour into the show.

FJL

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2006, 09:50:06 AM »

Well, since we're almost there

FJL

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2006, 09:50:40 AM »

Might as well get to post #50 before noon Eastern time.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2006, 09:58:05 AM »

For Curtis, it has to be SOME LIKE IT HOT though he was dubbed by someone else for his Josephine performance. He was also quite wonderful in THE BOSTON STRANGLER, a very atypical role for him.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2006, 10:00:24 AM »

Shirley MacLaine has had the most interesting career of the three. I adored her work in THE APARTMENT, GAMBIT, SWEET CHARITY, and SOME CAME RUNNING.

Her Oscar for TERMS OF ENDEARMENT was much deserved and I would have given it to her for THE TURNING POINT, too, as well as a supporting award for POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE (which did not even garner her a nomination).

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2006, 10:03:06 AM »

Dean Martin. Well, I need to see him in THE YOUNG LIONS. I think he'd be very effective in a movie where he has some acting legends to play opposite. I've had the DVD for aeons, and it just never seems to find its way into my player.

I do find him perfectly cast in BELLS ARE RINGING and except for his lazy lip-synching for "I Met a Girl," a perfect film musical performance.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2006, 10:09:51 AM »

TOD:

Favortie Tony Curtis film is one of his early Universal-Internation films ALL AMERICAN (1953). Co-starring are Lori Nelson, Mamie Van Doren, Richard Long, Gregg Palmer, and Kathie Lee's husband Frank Gifford!

Dean Martin: MY FRIEND IRMA

Shirley MacLaine: THE CHILDREN'S HOUR

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2006, 10:16:45 AM »

Dean:  Bells Are Ringing
Tony:  Some Like It Hot
Shirley:  Postcards From the Edge (she sings Sondheim!)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2006, 10:30:14 AM »

Lazy Lip-Synching - that's the title of my next novel.

My favorite Dino performance is in Some Came Running - he's really wonderful in that.  And his performance as "Dino" in Kiss Me, Stupid is pretty interesting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2006, 10:30:51 AM »

I have jogged, I have showered, and I shall now be on my way to a casting session and then to a band rehearsal with the cast - it is the latter that I'm truly looking forward to.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2006, 10:31:38 AM »

Favorite Shirley MacLaine: The Apartment, Some Came Running (with Dean), Sweet Charity, Terms of Endearment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2006, 10:31:58 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up