Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COUNTDOWN CONTINUES  (Read 41136 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:THE COUNTDOWN CONTINUES
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2006, 09:28:20 AM »

DR Edisaurus - What a beautiful setting for your new home!  How soon do you plan to move?

I had hoped that we would celebrate DH's 50th birthday there on Jan 28th, but we may not be ready then. But, then again, with all this time off...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2006, 09:29:03 AM »

I've been talking so much about myself that I bumped us to page 3!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2006, 09:31:49 AM »

Heaven Amy.  You're moving to heaven.

And only 3 miles from where I usually work! After 2 highway wrecks the past year, I'm ready for a shorter commute!

I hope to be able to walk to work when the weather is nice.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2006, 09:34:20 AM »

I don't think Mr. Donner is a great director, but he has made at least two films I'm very fond of, Superman, The Movie, and The Omen (and I like the first Lethal Weapon movie, even though it's stupid).  Interestingly, in the documentary, Leslie Newman and Robert Benton are interviewed about their involvement, and they never mention David Newman and Robert's involvement with a little show called It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman on Broadway.  And apparently that's what they brought to their rewrite of the script - campy humor.  And to give Donner his due, when he came on board he said no, got to believe the story and the world and really have to believe the love story, otherwise there's no movie.  He brought in Tom Mankiewicz and he did the job.   I still think there's a little awfulness left in the Ned Beatty character, but they did strengthen the story and make the love story believeable.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2006, 09:43:38 AM »

Dreams of strangers in the home are of course harbingers of meeting someone who will become an instant friend....very soon.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Edisaurus

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2006, 09:54:53 AM »

DR JRand, interpreter of dreams, I used to have a recurring dream of finding a room in my house that I didn't know existed, or a whole floor or wing. I loved this dream, and it always made me feel good after I'd had it. My DH thinks it just means that I want to live in a bigger house, but I've always thought there might be some deeper psychological meaning. (Although the house I've been in for the past 28 years is VERY SMALL!)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2006, 09:55:11 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Whew!  I slept in again...

Whatever that means... or doesn't mean... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2006, 09:59:06 AM »

The trash collectors finally came - three days late.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2006, 09:59:21 AM »

The gardeners never showed up.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2006, 10:01:32 AM »

Media Check

TIVO:  THE STINGIEST MAN IN TOWN--this is the Rankin/Bass cartoon from sometime in the late 70s.  I dimly remember it.  I don't know if it has any relation to the TV musical other than the title.

DVD:  SNL:  SEASON ONE--I can't wait till I crack this one open!

PC Hard Drive:  Even though I'm a bit Christmas'ed out, I had downloaded a boatload of the Firestone and Goodyear Christmas albums of the 60's that I would like to give a listen to.

CD:  The DREAMGIRLS soundtrack.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2006, 10:07:36 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check:

Hmm...

In the DVD player...  Well, I haven't watched anything lately (as usual), but, of course, that hasn't stopped me from buying a couple - well, more than a couple - of DVDs over the past couple of weeks.   Including the complete boxed sets to five different TV/Cable series.  Yes, Five!  Guess how I'll be spending my 2007?  ;)

In the CD player...  A bunch of Christmas CDs, a couple of OCRs, a couple of film soundtracks, some classical selections, a bit of jazz, a smidgen of pop, vocals, etc...  Of note:
Julia Murney - "I'm Not Waiting"
Audra McDonald - "Build A Bridge"
Lea DeLaria - "Double Standards"
"Dreamgirls" - Soundtrack
Spring Awakening OCR - *I'm finding myself listening to this one repeatedly already.  Good stuff.
"A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector" - I've always had a soft spot for The Ronettes rendition of "Sleigh Ride" among others.
Gabriela Montero - "Bach And Beyond" - Simply stunning playing and invention!
Bette Midler - "Cool Yule"
"The History Boys" - Soundtrack
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2006, 10:07:37 AM »

DR JRand, interpreter of dreams, I used to have a recurring dream of finding a room in my house that I didn't know existed, or a whole floor or wing. I loved this dream, and it always made me feel good after I'd had it. My DH thinks it just means that I want to live in a bigger house, but I've always thought there might be some deeper psychological meaning. (Although the house I've been in for the past 28 years is VERY SMALL!)

DR Edisaurus, I often have a similar dream.  In mine I find a very narrow space in a cornor of a room which I never noticed before.  I squeeze through it and find an entire new wing to my house.  It's sort of dusty, but very nicely furnished and cozy.

So, yeah, DR JRand--what's this mean?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2006, 10:09:17 AM »

DR Ginny - Ah! Small world!  Michael Kramer and Jennifer Mendenhall!  Good People.  Michael stage managed a show a did a couple of years ago, and he's also quite a good actor.  And Jennifer is one of the "grand dames" of the DC theatre scene.  -And her brother is a hoot too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2006, 10:10:39 AM »

DR edisaurus - I'll be in Atlanta the second week of March for the annual Southeastern Theatre Conference.  Will you be receiving visitors by then?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2006, 10:12:18 AM »

The trash collectors finally came - three days late.

Are you sure they weren't just on holiday schedule?  I know that here in DC that since Christmas (and New Year's) fell on a Monday, that it shifted the trash collection schedule more than one would think it would.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2006, 10:13:44 AM »

DR edisaurus - I'll be in Atlanta the second week of March for the annual Southeastern Theatre Conference.  Will you be receiving visitors by then?  ;)

Hmm...

And do you think a pianist who actually likes to play for 900 actors/actresses over a three day time period would make a good subject for a documentary?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2006, 10:14:54 AM »

DR Ginny - Ah! Small world!  Michael Kramer and Jennifer Mendenhall!  Good People.  Michael stage managed a show a did a couple of years ago, and he's also quite a good actor.  And Jennifer is one of the "grand dames" of the DC theatre scene.  -And her brother is a hoot too!

Oh, thanks for the info, DR Jose!  I've been a huge fan of Jennifer's voice (aka Kate Reading) since I started listening to audiobooks more than 10 years ago.  Now, I really want to see her perform in person - any way to know if she'll be appearing in anything in DC, June 22-27, 2007?  That's when I'm hoping/planning to be there for the American Library Association Annual Conference.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2006, 10:19:03 AM »

The downstairs apartment doesn't quite look the same since it has been gutted by fire, but that's one of the things we have to deal with before moving in.

Hmm... Just trying to figure out the time line here...  When did the fire occur?  Hmm...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2006, 10:32:36 AM »

Oh, thanks for the info, DR Jose!  I've been a huge fan of Jennifer's voice (aka Kate Reading) since I started listening to audiobooks more than 10 years ago.  Now, I really want to see her perform in person - any way to know if she'll be appearing in anything in DC, June 22-27, 2007?  That's when I'm hoping/planning to be there for the American Library Association Annual Conference.

Well, that's usually the time of the Source Theatre Festival... And I believe the BIG Shakespeare Festival will still be going on by then.  -That will be starting shortly with a reading of "Twelfth Night" being held on the Twelfth Night of Christmas.  In any case...  So, there's a good chance she'll be appearing in something around that time.  In the meantime, I'd check out the websites for The Source Theatre and Woolly Mammoth Theatre...

OH!  After some Googling, I came across this TCG profile about her:

Jennifer Mendenhall

-Where it says that she'll be starring in Sarah Ruhl's new play, Dead Man's Cell Phone, at Woolly Mammoth from June 4-July 1, 2007.

And the play is described thusly:
How much could someone learn about you if they found your cell phone - and started answering your calls? From the lyrical author of The Clean House comes this oddly mythic love story in which a lonely woman answers s stranger's cell phone and finds herself the unwitting guardian of his memory. Traveling literally to hell and back, Ruhl's quirky comedy is set amidst a world where technology is swallowing our souls, grieving is more complicated than we think, and everyone is desperate to make connections.

Sounds right up her alley.
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2006, 10:41:15 AM »

Fabulous! If I haven't learned how to cook by then, we will at least take you out for dinner! We may even have a guest room and a tuned piano at that point, too! I'd love to see you and hear about your adventures in music!

Edisaurus

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2006, 10:43:40 AM »

Hmm... Just trying to figure out the time line here...  When did the fire occur?  Hmm...

It happened the day before our New Orleans evacuees left....one event having nothing to do with the other.

Unfortunately, the apartment will not be an apartment again for a few years, until we decide on our expansion plans. So you can't have your own apartment---sorry!

Edisaurus

« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2006, 10:44:59 AM »

And do you think a pianist who actually likes to play for 900 actors/actresses over a three day time period would make a good subject for a documentary?

Yes. And I think "A Handful of Keys" would be a good title!

Edisaurus

« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2006, 10:49:47 AM »

DR Jose, we should be in town until around March 23rd, when we open Sacco and Vanzetti in NY. Maybe if you're back in NY you can come to our opening night. DR Elmore has already agreed to meet me while I'm in town---maybe we can have a mini HHW convocation and pull in a few others!

Edisaurus

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2006, 10:51:04 AM »

Where is you conference?

BTW, Atlanta has many "places of interest".

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2006, 10:53:41 AM »

Well, just had a lovely telephonic conversation and must now get crackin'.

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2006, 11:00:34 AM »

...-Where it says that she'll be starring in Sarah Ruhl's new play, Dead Man's Cell Phone, at Woolly Mammoth from June 4-July 1, 2007.

If I'm reading my DC maps correctly, Woolly Mammoth is not far from the Hampton Inn where I've made a reservation.  It's near the Convention Center.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2006, 11:03:14 AM »

Ah....

Well for DREDISAURUS - I would say your dream about the lovely room in your home means that to you, every day is a discovery, a welcome discovery. And that you value even the unexpected.  You are also unafraid of new challenges.

DR DtM - since your room was difficult to get to, I would say your dream is similar, but that challenges are just that to you.  And that you value the job well done rather than the job itself.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2006, 11:03:19 AM »

Fabulous! If I haven't learned how to cook by then, we will at least take you out for dinner! We may even have a guest room and a tuned piano at that point, too! I'd love to see you and hear about your adventures in music!

Cool!  I'm usually booked solid while at the Convention - literally my days usually start at 9:00am, and end a little after midnight - but I'm trying to finagle an extra hotel day out of the office so that I can actually spend some quality time in Hotlanta.  I've been there many times, but I've always been working, so...  Maybe if I come in a day earlier and/or later... It could work out nicely.

Oh, we'll be at the Hilton Atlanta this year.

And, yes, I know about some of those "special interest places".  However, I'm hoping there someone of interest playing at The Tabernacle while I'm there.  The last time I was there, I saw Maceo Parker.  What an amazing show!  And what an amazing crowd and venue!

...And I have yet to dine at Pittypat's Porch.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2006, 11:03:51 AM »

Woolly Mammoth - DR MBARNUM didn't he make a movie with Rad Fulton?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2006, 11:05:35 AM »

DR Jose, we should be in town until around March 23rd, when we open Sacco and Vanzetti in NY. Maybe if you're back in NY you can come to our opening night. DR Elmore has already agreed to meet me while I'm in town---maybe we can have a mini HHW convocation and pull in a few others!

Don't forget the photographic device.  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up