Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEDNESDAY THAT FELT LIKE A WEDNESDAY  (Read 73798 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE WEDNESDAY THAT FELT LIKE A WEDNESDAY
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 07:35:41 AM »

BTW, there is a new MEDIUM tonight, but I'm not sure if it's the one we were originally supposed to get last week, or the one originally scheduled for this week. We'll see.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 07:37:59 AM »

Page Two ROBIN HOOD Dance!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 07:58:37 AM »

I thought Joyce and Uchenna won their season in THE AMAZING RACE.

Will have to see the teams before I choose - but there are a couple I didn't like the first time, so I doubt that I will wish them well!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 08:00:02 AM »

RE AMERICAN IDOL:

BTW, I really did like the Navy man who was chosen to go on. I think he will be very, very popular.

I wonder if this is the same person i read about last summer taht was encouraged by his commanding officer to try out for AI
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 08:01:56 AM »

Watched THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA and TALLADEGA NIGHTS last night.  No American Yodel for me.

Liked all of the people in DEVIL - thought they did a great job.  And I have no doubt that is probably what it is like to work at a publication like Runway.  Living in Indiana, watching a movie about it is as close as I will ever come to that life.  I loved the NYC filming and seeing locations that have been written about here on HHW....including Sephora and a few others.  And the Paris locations were beautiful.

I didn't mind the last Meryl shot as some others here did - but that's horse racing.  My quibble was with her long time friend having an immediate meltdown and judgment moment when Andrea was kissed by the other guy.

TALLADEGA was pretty funny....the foul mouthed kids made me laugh, and I always like William C. Macy.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 08:10:58 AM »

TALLADEGA was pretty funny....the foul mouthed kids made me laugh, and I always like William C. Macy.

My favorite parts of the movie were the blessings spoken at the home dinner table and at Applebee's said by Will Ferrell. Hilarious, and the debate about which "Jesus" he preferred still make me laugh when I think about it.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »

I wonder if this is the same person i read about last summer taht was encouraged by his commanding officer to try out for AI

Well, it could be. They did show backstory on how he got there, and his ship held an IDOL-like singing contest, and when he won it, he had the blessing of his commander to go try out.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 08:15:09 AM »

I think I'll do today's cleaning chores now and leave the early evening for other pursuits prior to prime time TV.

My friend Hal loaned me HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX which I'm reading now in anticipation of the movie to come this summer. The books are so long now that chunks have to be left out in the filmed versions, so I want to get the entire story.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2007, 08:22:07 AM »

DR Jennifer:  re: The blond guy on "AI"....it was a bit difficult following what he was saying, but the way I took it was that his parents weren't there due to monetary issues...that they have supported him in many other ways for his singing but that this was an expense they decided they couldn't bear.  They were able to send their kid, however.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 08:22:33 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 08:23:10 AM »

Good morning.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2007, 08:32:01 AM »

Re: last night's "American Idol".

I'm sincerely glad I watched it.  This show's auditions are proof that much of American youth are deluded beyond measure.

That first girl who auditioned last night -- you just know she is somebody's little princess and that she is used to getting her way.  Her stubborn refusal to take no is evidence that she's manipulated many people many times.  What she cannot fathom -- and what most of the terrible performers cannot and may never fathom -- is that there ARE some things they CANNOT do if they want to, that there ARE some things they CANNOT BE because they want to be them, that they WILL NEVER BE singers if they cannot sing, and that VERY FEW PEOPLE CAN SING and that they are among the majority.

What a HOOT the entire Minneapolis show was, though...the dad who said he is "pleased as punch" that his son can sing (he can't).  The distinctive accents and pronunciations were just priceless.  We might have been at auditions for extras for "Fargo."

Paula's telling that vocal teacher that he had too much vibrato was telling.  She didn't like his mixed-up style, but she didn't know how to tell him he just didn't LOOK like an Idol...so she threw in that ignorant comment about his vibrato.  His vibrato was fine.

It certainly wasn't the goat-bleat of Chris Daughtry, whose persistent vibrato was wound up tighter than an overwound clock.  And it wasn't too wide, IMO.

It sounded like a trained voice trying to please several unpleasable folks.

What gets me riled up, however, is that any girl who goes on and sings a Broadway song well gets passed through with praise.  A guy who tries the same song is told he's TOO THEATRICAL.

Double standard.

And yes, Randy went out of his mind over that one kid.  Totally off base, too.  But....that's why we watch, isn't it!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2007, 08:34:45 AM »

BK, I never got Joan Ryan's CD in its original release, so I'm very much looking forward to the reissue...and I loved her in Ruthless!:  The Musical!  My questions about the reissue...will it be identical to the original release in content and pictures (except for the label, of course)?  Will it be remastered to sound better than ever?  Should I get the original release so that my collection will be complete or will the new release be enough?  Inquiring minds want to know!

;)

It's the same exact CD (and I mean exact - we're using the actual physical CDs she had left, and then we'll re-press some new ones) - the packaging has been redone, however - same package in all respects except for a new bar code, our logos, and I finally take my producer credit (which I didn't back then for various reasons - I took a "creative consultant" credit originally).  No need to get the original.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2007, 08:35:04 AM »

With the extreme cold and subsequently dry air, I am suffering from static electricity like you wouldn't believe.  My hair is either clinging flat to my head or flying all over the place like it has a life of its own.  I am having trouble letting go of my styrofoam coffee cup.  And woe be to he that feels the sting of my electric-charge touch!  

Zap!

Ouch!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2007, 08:37:11 AM »

As for Ask BK Day...

Is there something, some activity that you have never done that, at least according to the line of work you're in, the area you live, etc., that you "should" have done by now?

For example... Like many people who live in the Washington, DC, Area, I have not been to all the Smithsonian museums.  And I even like art!

So many things!  Haven't been to the Walt Disney Hall yet - haven't been to the new Contemporary Museum (I used to go to the Temporary Contemporary a lot), and I'm sure there are many others.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2007, 08:37:30 AM »

More re: "American Idol":

Most revealing, to me anyway, is that immaturity level of many of those who got rejected.  Why they thought they could sing is beyond me.  The ones who couldn't remember the words...the one girl who kept saying the same lyric over and over and then going into a whisper as she tried to find other words for the tune in her head.

The boy who believe he could sing but who "juggled" and "danced".  What kind of fantasy life MUST he have?  He was pathetic.  And his family was there to support him in this sad sorry display.  Are they ALL stupid?  And his absolute hysterical crying jag after his explosion of profanity as he left the audition room.  What a BABY!  Yes, I know he's 16.  But he needs to be weaned.

The "big girl" who claimed to be Idol's biggest fan.  WOOF!  And when she was told she couldn't sing, she pranced out that "I've have vocal lessons for 10 years. Why wouldn't they have told me 10 years ago if I couldn't sing?"   I DO wish Simon had told her the answer to that question as he started to.

I agree some went forward who shouldn't have....that girl in the Army Reserve...totally inconsistent...and she'll be among the first to get cut.

So many DELUSIONAL people.  I can understand the judges' frustrations.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 08:40:20 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2007, 08:38:50 AM »

It's chilly inside this home environment.  Very gray out, but the blue sky is starting to peek through.  Must now make a telephonic call, then shower, then to the dry cleaners, then to pick up assistant at the subway, then to the Colony.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2007, 08:45:18 AM »

We had a nice, steady rainfall last evening.  It started around 7 p.m. and continued through my bedtime which was 10:30 p.m. last night.

What amused me before retiring, however, was a news promo on a local station....a shot of a weatherman superimposed over a cityscape of pouring rain...and the words "some showers possible tonight" imposed over that.

D'ya think?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 09:02:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2007, 08:47:01 AM »

Because of my cough, I took Nyquill last night, and 12 hours later I got out of bed.  Good morning, all!

My schedule this week is totally out of whack because the schedule originally set up this week for both jobs has been completely thrown out of whack by my colleagues:  one has a doctor's appointment today, the other is taking longer on his outside project.  So, I've spent some time this morning trying to plan my life through Sunday.  It's frustrating.

Luckily, the computer reports continue, and each revision improves the work, so . . .

DR JRand56, I assume that's Van Cliburn's 1st by Tchaikovsky?

Even if PASSIONS is cancelled in September, it's too long a wait for such an inept piece of lousy writing.

Off to market!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2007, 08:47:49 AM »

Cold today - work tomorrow.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2007, 08:48:40 AM »

You assume correctly, DR ELMORE!

One of my first LP purchases on an EP 45, which I still have.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2007, 08:49:12 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day:

What one word would you use to describe yourself?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2007, 08:51:42 AM »

BK,  I remember Montrose...of all places...There used to be a nice video/CD store there that specialized in old movies and music.  It was called STARLIGHT ROOF and had relocated there from South Pasadena.

Lex Barker?...I have been told on more than one occasion in the past that I resembled him.  Could be a lot worse people to resemble.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day:

What one word would you use to describe yourself?

Too hard (the question, that's not the word).  I like "blessed",  I like "strange", I like "lucky" - but I'm open to others.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2007, 08:53:07 AM »

I'm through with the telephonic call, and shall now shower.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2007, 09:02:07 AM »

As most of you know, I am from the South.  And the South is quite evangelical.

But my point is not to discuss religion.  My mom sends me stuff via e-mail that she gets from others, and one came my way this morning that STUNNED me.  It had an illustration of a man that is supposed to be Jesus.

Tell me who YOU think it resembles:

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2007, 09:03:17 AM »

Now that DR CP mentions it, there is a Lex Barker cast to him.

I saw friend of CP  Denny Miller when I watched THE PARTY last night.

Has Mr Steve Franken ever spoken about his experience working with Mr Peter Sellers?  Has Mr Steve Franken EVER been interviewed.

I remember him first as Chatsworth Osborne Jr on THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »

Is this like an ink blot test, DR RLP?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2007, 09:04:38 AM »

Is this like an ink blot test, DR RLP?

For you, yes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2007, 09:04:41 AM »

Are you that man's twin brother?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2007, 09:04:53 AM »

I've always thought DR Pogue looked more like Kenneth Mars.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 01:04:06 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up