Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: MOOD MUSIC  (Read 108566 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MOOD MUSIC
« on: January 26, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were musical and moody, and now it is time for you to post until the musical cows come home.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 12:12:41 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MOOD MUSIC
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:15:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: SHIBBOLETH!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 12:33:57 AM »

Topic of the Day:  Media report:

In my DVD player:  "Striking Resemblance" with Kevin Spirtas from Netflix.  I also have the first act of Offenbach's opera "La Grande Duchesse de Gerolstein" (the second act hasn't arrived yet).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 12:36:47 AM »

I reek of garlic.

George

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 12:41:08 AM »

In my CD player at work:  the original (or premiere) cast recordings of The View from Here, Spring Awakening, Loving Repeating and A Chorus Line. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 12:41:09 AM »

CDs played today:

Ella Fitzgerald "Ella At Juan-Les Pins"
Sacha Distel "En Vers et Contre Vous"

DVD: Yet to be chosen for this evening's viewing.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 12:48:22 AM »

I'm waiting on the Alexandre Desplat score to The Painted Veil - I'll have it on Saturday - I hear it's quite nice.

George

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 12:57:21 AM »

Yesterday, I wrote:

Tomorrow night, I'm ushering at the Washington Center for the Performing Arts for Sex Workers Art Show National Tour. :o

I have no idea what to expect. ;)

But I screwed up the link.  Click above for the correct link to the page...if anyone's interested. ::)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 01:01:58 AM »

START RANT!

The almost ten year grandlad lad will be eligible for free music lessons at school next year.

Swell, you say!

Not so fast!

"No way!", says his Dad. "I don't want do be bothered with all that noise at home!"

(I guess I was away when the news broke about parenting being a "no hassle" job.)

Fortunately I saw this one coming (a good sign was when the kids were not allowed to play CD's in the car without headsets - and if they slipped up and happened to sing along they got yelled at). Of course when they're in the car with Grandpa and Woody they are not allowed to listen to CDs with head-phones. Playing CDs is a communal activity shared by all - singing along is strongly encouraged! We all get a chance to pick, so the kids can do their "I only listen to what I know" bit, while Woody and I strategize "our picks" to get them to hear new stuff.

In anticipation of this family crisis I had previously purchased an eight octave electronic keyboard with most of the bells and whistles (and which you can listen to through head phones) which has been cluttering up my dining room table for over a year).  

The use of a keyboard with head-set has gained son-in-laws approval.

END RANT!

der Brucer

At least their Mom was used to having music around the house. I played piano and guitar, not at all well and their Mom played guitar and Banjo - quite well. We regularly had family folk-song sing alongs. (I must admit that my love of music around the house was greatly diminished when my eldest son decided to learn the sax and clarinet.)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 01:07:30 AM »

And now, I'm off to sleep.  Good night. :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 01:13:53 AM »

Note to record producers:

Some kids hearing songs for the first few times  do really like to have lyric booklets so they can follow along!

der Brucer

(Following printed lyrics is a good way to help a kid coordinate his vebal vocabulary with his reading vocabulary. Thanks to Elton John, Alex has no trouble spelling BITCH!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 01:20:39 AM »

I was right!  Biscuits, gravy, eggs at Rae's in Santa Monica.  I have such an amazing memory sometimes.  I went to yelp.com, looked it up, and sure enough someone was raving about the biscuits and gravy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 01:20:50 AM »

My goodness, it's late.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 01:31:18 AM »

LAW & ORDER SVU - story line alert!

THE TIMES
Chinese Police Bust Ring Suspected of Murdering Females to Serve as Brides to Dead Bachelors
Friday , January 26, 2007

BEJING — A ring of gangsters who traded in the bodies of women they murdered, selling them as brides to keep dead bachelors happy in the afterlife, has been arrested in China.

The arrests have exposed a trade that places a higher value on women when they are dead than when they are alive.

Yang arranged for the woman to stay in a guesthouse in Yanchuan county where Liu offered him £666 for her. Yang refused, until Liu told him that the woman would be worth much more dead than alive. The next morning the two men set out across the Yellow River to meet “Old Li” in Xixian County, Shanxi province. Old Li agreed to buy the woman’s body for £1,050 and to complete the deal late at night on the Yanshuiguan bridge.

The next day Yang killed the woman and took her body by taxi to the bridge where Li was waiting and handed over £1,000 for her. For his part in the deal, Liu received £300 and Yang came away with a loss of £200 after his expenses.

Back at the guesthouse, Yang told an old acquaintance, Hui, that he had found an easy way to make money. The two men agreed to go into the body business together. Last November they sought out a prostitute they knew in nearby Yan’an — the city where Chairman Mao began his Communist revolution — but she threw them out after they said that they could not afford to pay her £20. They returned the next morning and killed her.

On December 3 they completed a similar body handover with Li on the bridge. This time they made only £530 because the buyer was unhappy with the quality of the body and, after costs, Yang and his two friends each earned £100 on that deal.

Old Li had made a name for himself in Xixian county by selling clothes to outfit the dead and by handing out cards that offered to help families in need of a spirit marriage. They want young and good-looking dead brides for their sons and regard the family of the girl as “in-laws”. Police discovered that Li paid between £530 and £660 for a body and sold it on for as much as £2,300.

der Brucer

Jose will love this as a wake-up story ;D

Danise

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 04:34:00 AM »

Hi all!  I've missed everyone but I've been so busy with working overtime here lately.  The word has gotten out that I know how to use Powerpoint (not that big a deal) and I've been drafted to hellp people with their presentations.  The problem being my old duties haven't stopped.  It's like working two jobs and getting paid for one.

My boss has had to drive me home a couple of times because I've had to miss the bus.

I hope everyone is doing well.  

I'm listenening to Meat Loaf as I type this.  I'm sorry that he is coming to St. Pete but not Tampa.  I have a fear of driving over the bridge at night between St. Pete and Tampa.  There are so many accidents on that thing and I don't see that well at night.  I won't chance it.

Gotta run..

Laters.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 05:06:45 AM »

I have to work today.  That is all.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 05:28:26 AM »

TOD:

cd: home grown
Trying to decide who singsthe best version of
Being Alive (16 Version)
Send In the Clowns (18 versions)
Not A Days Goes By (20 versions)
Losing My Mind(15 versions but I suspect Dorothy Collins is the best)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 05:28:52 AM »

Good morning ben
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 05:29:22 AM »

and now to work
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 06:07:08 AM »

First, you Shibboleth!
Then you Shobbo right!
Then you Shibbo in the middle
All through the night!
Let's do the Shibbo!
Yeah! Yeah!
Let's do the Shibbo!
C'mon, baby,
Move to the beat!
We're gonna Shibbo out on the street!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 06:08:14 AM »

It's going to be a weird day of negotiations at the Turner networks. I have a feeling my ability to work with them is going to be a lot less convenient. They want to pull all their jobs in house, which will be good for them and makes sense, but it will be much harder for me to work there (no edit assists, etc.) and a pain to get there. Different equipment, and lots of people who treat it as a 9-5 job and not a fun, creative environment. Very corporate. Ugh.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 06:21:11 AM »

My neighbor the terrorist has got to get rugs on his floor.  He comes in around 10 pm and moves around too much between then and, last night, 3 am.  Since he's right above me, it's the sound of shoes clomping on a wood floor. There's also an occasonal sound of something being dragged and, perhaps, a sofa bed being opened.  I slept quite badly and I am late this morning for everything, which includes laundry and the NYPL.  tonight I'm seeing Zankel Hall for the first time.  I'm going to a concert sponsored by Marlyn Horne.

TOD:  
  CD:  The Brain from Planet X, Guy Haines, Barbara Cook at Carnegie Hall
  DVD:  JEEVES & WOOSTER Season 3, AKA
  VCR: El Cheapo
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 06:23:08 AM »

TOD:

cd: home grown
Trying to decide who singsthe best version of
Being Alive (16 Version)
Send In the Clowns (18 versions)
Not A Days Goes By (20 versions)
Losing My Mind(15 versions but I suspect Dorothy Collins is the best)
Being Alive:  Dean Jones
Send In The Clowns: Glynis Johns, but I also like Cleo Laine on the old Carnegie Hall album from the 1970s
Not A Day Goes By:  no idea, since I love the song and hate the show
Losing My Mind: Dorothy Collins
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 06:35:11 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up...

Well, I got up at 2:00...

Then around 5:00...

Then around 8:00...  -At that point I moved out to the couch in the living room... where it was warmer... and quiet!  Alas, my radiator is still not working, and appears the sealing of the leak has only made whatever is causing the "knocking" louder, much louder.  I literally thought someone was hitting the pipe with a hammer.  It even woke up my roommate... Upstairs!  I listened for a while, and it does sound like something mechanical, there's a scraping sound before the "knock" - which is more like a "hit" or a "pound".  Any DRs have any idea what would cause such a loud knocking sound in the pipes?

In any case...  I'm up.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 06:36:54 AM »

I missed Michael's good morning and now he's gone to work.

Right now I'm listening to Manhattan Transfer Live, a concert from 1978 recorded at the Hammersmith in London.

No plans for any video or DVD watching this weekend. Our English friends are here (and it's 10 friggin' degrees outside). I'm having dinner with them tonight at East of Eighth on West 23rd Street. It's a fun, relaxed place with good food. We went there in September when they were here for another visit and they liked it so much they requested that we go again. Tomorrow we head out to Long Island for a fun day of visiting and eating and Sunday we are back in the city.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 06:39:08 AM »

DR George - Well, maybe you guys could at least have a party on the night when Juno was supposed to open.  -Any excuse for a party.  ;)

*I remember playing for a community theatre production of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas many years ago, and due to "technical" <wink, wink> reasons, they had to cancel the opening night performance.  However, since everyone had already bought their food and drink for the party, they still held the party.  And it was a great party!  Since we didn't have a show, it started at 7:30 instead of post-show at 11:00.  More time for merriment!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 06:45:44 AM »

No plans for any video or DVD watching this weekend. Our English friends are here (and it's 10 friggin' degrees outside). I'm having dinner with them tonight at East of Eighth on West 23rd Street. It's a fun, relaxed place with good food. We went there in September when they were here for another visit and they liked it so much they requested that we go again. Tomorrow we head out to Long Island for a fun day of visiting and eating and Sunday we are back in the city.

Oh, too bad they didn't come in yesterday, or you could have taken them next door to Chelsea Clearviews Cinemas {"Where dreams come true.") for the Thursday night Chelsea Classics hosted by Hedda Lettuce.  ;)

*And I'm a big fan of the "Knife & Fork Fried Chicken" at East of Eighth.  It's a half-chicken, de-boned - well, there's one bone left in, the leg - and fried.  Sooooo good.

East of Eighth
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 06:46:39 AM »

DR Tomovoz - May both of our water pipe woes be repaired and remedied soon and without too much hassle.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 06:47:03 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 06:48:52 AM »

-When I first saw the title of today's notes, I thought it said:

MOOG MUSIC

-Must be the cold and lack of sleep.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 06:52:52 AM »

MEdia Check:

iPod:  Rosemary Clooney Sings the Lyrics of Johnny Mercer

DVD:  The Harry Potter movies--unlike DR Matt, I've fanatically read each of the books as they've came out, but I've yet to watch any of the films.  I hope to cocoon at home this weekend and enjoy an HP festival.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up