Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: OTHER FISH TO FRY  (Read 104578 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:OTHER FISH TO FRY
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2007, 07:36:41 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Kerry and DJ Donald!!!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2007, 07:38:39 AM »

And a big hello to both Arnold Brockman and the illustrious Pogue !

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2007, 07:39:45 AM »

Page Five Stepmother and stepsisters Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2007, 07:41:22 AM »

That computer used in Fox's VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA was first used, of course, in the 1957 DESK SET film with Tracy and Hepburn. In that film, it was called EMERAC.

Cillaliz

« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2007, 07:43:03 AM »

The government just filed a motion to dismiss a bankruptcy fraud case against my client.  This was the big case I was going to trial on in March. I have to admit I love winning without a fight.  The truth is she didn't do anything wrong, her husband may have, but she didn't. So this is justice. Nice to see it once in a while.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2007, 07:43:12 AM »

Being such a fan of Agatha Christie, I found AGATHA very appealing, but I have to admit that Dustin Hoffman ruined it a little bit for me. I didn't like his character, didn't believe his acting, and found him a schlub. No matter how damaged she was, I can't imagine Agatha having anything to do with him.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2007, 07:43:57 AM »

The government just filed a motion to dismiss a bankruptcy fraud case against my client.  This was the big case I was going to trial on in March. I have to admit I love winning without a fight.  The truth is she didn't do anything wrong, her husband may have, but she didn't. So this is justice. Nice to see it once in a while.

Great news! Congratulations are in order!

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2007, 07:45:02 AM »

Yes, a new UGLY BETTY tonight.

Also new episodes of all my favorites: GREY'S ANATOMY, CSI, SMALLVILLE, SUPERNATURAL, and the NBC comedies.

Tonight is the first night of sweeps, so for the next few weeks, we should be seeing mostly new episodes for all the regular shows.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2007, 07:47:11 AM »

DOn't know if we're going out to lunch today or not. I have nothing thawed out, so if we don't go out to lunch, I'll be scrambling (eggs?) to find something to eat around here.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2007, 07:50:59 AM »

When the school where I worked was turned into a middle school, the faculty was organized into teams, and my team leader (the math/Albegra teacher on our team) had one of those huge klunky cell phones that looked like something the Army used to use on maneuvers to communicate with one another.

However, we would get take out Chinese food every Friday for lunch, and she'd use that phone to call in our order. I'll never forget that huge thing.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2007, 07:52:54 AM »

Happy B'days to Kerry and Donald.

I remember mimeo machines and having to type on those papers that were like carbons and, if you made a mistake, well...you were screwed or had to start over...

I have a love-hate relationship with technology.  I like many of the conveniences but I feel I will always be behind the learning curve.  I still don't know how to use all the functions on my cell phone.  I adamantly refused to even get one until I had to drive across country last year on our move here.

I think that we have too much technology to amuse ourselves with and are amusing ourselves to death, frankly.  I think it is worse with the generations coming up behind me.  We fritter away so much time with our techie toys and have an inability to concentrate on important matters and human interaction...I don't need an i-pod stuck in my ear 24/7; I don't need to be spending hours on myspace reading about the mundane lives of mundane people; I don't need to be accessible by phone every minute of every hour.  Unless somebody's died or had an accident or is locked out of the house, nothing is that crucial that I need immediately respond.

I think all restaurants and theatres should be able to install the blocking devices that make cell phones inoperable.  That's the other thing: so much of this technology has made us incredibly rude.

On the plus side, I can remember back in high school me taping on my little cassette records from the library and the audio of movies off the TV with the microphone attached to the speaker with putty.  

But still I have several hundred movies on tape or DVD or that I've taped off the tube and how often do you think I watch them?  Some I've taped I've never watched.

Best thing about old magazines, BK, are the ads.  I don't remember Time having a lot of them...but Look and Life and The Saturday Evening Post ads are amazing.  I've got several Colliers magazines from the 20's and 30's and the ads are fascinating.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2007, 07:58:29 AM »

That computer used in Fox's VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA was first used, of course, in the 1957 DESK SET film with Tracy and Hepburn. In that film, it was called EMERAC.

Yep, I know that it was used in several movies and TV shows.  Didn't it also make an appearance in THE INVISIBLE BOY?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2007, 08:03:04 AM »

Congrats to DR Cillaliz on making those guv'ment fellers quake in their boots and back down rather than face her in court!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2007, 08:04:48 AM »

Good Lord, it's 7:55 here in LA and we're already to page 5?!  

Tonight is opening night for the LACC One-Acts (...thank God!...), so opening night vibes - and opening afternoon vibes for the other bill - would be very much appreciated!  And with that, I am off to the races...er...I mean, to get ready for the shows.  I get to be the House Manager for this afternoon's Blue Bill performance, after which I get to ready myself for the Red Bill's big night.  
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2007, 08:10:50 AM »

Best thing about old magazines, BK, are the ads.  I don't remember Time having a lot of them...but Look and Life and The Saturday Evening Post ads are amazing.  I've got several Colliers magazines from the 20's and 30's and the ads are fascinating.

I love perusing old magazines for the ads, also.  For a while, during my yard sale days, I started collecting Life magazines from the 60s.  My interest was primarily for the pictorials on Broadway theatre and big screen movies, but I was also infatuated with the mod ad campaigns of the time.  Alas, I found that collecting a weekly magazine took a lot of space and I wound up tossing away a lot of my collection.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2007, 08:13:04 AM »

@@@@@  OPENING DAY VIBES FOR ALL THE PARTICIPANTS OF THE LACC ONE-ACTS! @@@@@
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2007, 08:24:27 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2007, 08:26:38 AM »

Time had a surprising number of ads but they're very high-toned.  Computers with punch cards, desk top copy machines, cars, stuff strictly for businesses - there's one astonishing ad for personal airplanes - you could own the best model for $48,000 - holds five and can get you where you want to go.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2007, 08:27:56 AM »

The remaining two audio clips that sounded wonky (on Joan Ryan) have been fixed so go listen.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2007, 08:29:21 AM »

Yep, I know that it was used in several movies and TV shows.  Didn't it also make an appearance in THE INVISIBLE BOY?

Different studio, so I kind of doubt it, but I haven't watched THE INVISIBLE BOY so I can't say for sure. I guess MGM could have borrowed Fox's prop or paid a rental for its use.

Robby the Robot was certainly in THE INVISIBLE BOY.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2007, 08:29:28 AM »

Alas, I found that collecting a weekly magazine took a lot of space and I wound up tossing away a lot of my collection.

Alas, collecting "monthly" magazines also takes a lot of space, especially when you've got 15-20 years worth!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2007, 08:31:18 AM »

Vibes for Cason's opening

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2007, 08:31:19 AM »

Good morning, class!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2007, 08:31:51 AM »

Our snow turned to rain so it's a mess outside. Yuck!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2007, 08:32:37 AM »

I heard that Delta has cancelled more than 200 flights out of Atlanta...that the Charlotte airport is closed, along with schools.

DR MattH....I can appreciate your not wishing to get out in the snow -- except possibly to go out to lunch.  However, will you not need to shovel your walk to allow the postal worker safe access to deliver mail?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2007, 08:33:19 AM »

Alas, collecting "monthly" magazines also takes a lot of space, especially when you've got 15-20 years worth!

:D

I read once that the North American continent has been sinking one quarter of an inch a year since 1975 due to all those bundles of National Geographics that people have stored in their basements.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2007, 08:33:24 AM »

A golden oldie, always worth repeating:

NURSE:  Doctor, the invisible boy is here.

DOCTOR:  Tell him I can't see him.

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2007, 08:33:29 AM »

Lots of broken legs and crossed fingers for DR Cason's opening night. Good luck!!

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2007, 08:35:06 AM »

I heard that Delta has cancelled more than 200 flights out of Atlanta...that the Charlotte airport is closed, along with schools.

DR MattH....I can appreciate your not wishing to get out in the snow -- except possibly to go out to lunch.  However, will you not need to shovel your walk to allow the postal worker safe access to deliver mail?

No need. The rain has pretty much softened everything up, and it was only an inch or two of snow to begin with. My front stoop was clear.

MBarnum

« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2007, 08:35:53 AM »

Great vibes to director Cason and his cast and all the others with shows tonight!!!

Be sure to report back to us on how it all goes! And tell your parents hello from all of us!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up