Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: OTHER FISH TO FRY  (Read 104192 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:OTHER FISH TO FRY
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »

We used the mimeo machine in high school with those stencils you had to type (but you couldn't SEE what you typed).

The first COPY machine I saw was at the public library.  For ten cents you could make a copy of one page or photo.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2007, 05:19:30 AM »

Page Four Copy Machine Dance.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2007, 05:29:18 AM »

Off to work.

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2007, 05:35:15 AM »

Happy Birthday to Donald and Kerry!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2007, 05:37:59 AM »

Re: previews for HEROES and other shows giving too much away. I've decided to try not to watch the previews for HEROES and VERONICA MARS.  It works fine if i watch/tape them on the canadian channels. They don't do the same previews.  

It's funny but after HEROES i would always switch over to nbc to see if hte show went over so i could see the US preview. But this week STUDIO 60 started right at 10pm. So i didn't even see the preview! Yeah! Now i have no idea what will happen next week. None at all.

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2007, 05:39:44 AM »

Tonight we have a new UGLY BETTY. Yeah!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2007, 05:48:56 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS TO DR KERRY!!![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2007, 05:49:53 AM »

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MR. DONALD FELTHAM!!![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2007, 05:52:47 AM »

Happy Birthday to the handsome (and younger than me) Kerry.

Ben

« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2007, 05:53:07 AM »

The same goes for Donald (younger than me)

Happy Birthday to Donald!

FJL

« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2007, 05:54:44 AM »

Pain-free vibes to Micahel S

FJL

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2007, 05:55:03 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to Kerry

FJL

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2007, 05:56:41 AM »

Happy birthday to the wonderful radio host, Donald Feltham!

Ben

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2007, 05:57:49 AM »

I didn't get here until after 8am because I filed my federal tax return this morning. I'll finish my state form this evening and mail it tomorrow. I refuse to file it electronically because I'm not going to pay someone $12.95 to file something I can do for free. Filing my federal form is free because I meet the FAIG (Federal Adjusted Gross Income) requirements but not the state requirements. If they want people to use a more secure and fast form of filing then it should be free for both federal and state. It rises to a whole new level of stupid that I can't do both, one after the other. Until I can do it for free I won't file my state form electronically.

Rant over. See I did it after I wished our DRs Happy Natal Day so they could enjoy my felicitations without reading recriminations.

I now must begin work on the Helen Bader Foundation.

Later, gaters.

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2007, 05:58:47 AM »

I put a dvd in the church time capsule last year. Some day, when they open it in a hundred years, they will laugh at the technology.

I hoped you checked to see if anything was on it.   ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2007, 06:00:28 AM »

Happy Birthday Kerry and Donald!!!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2007, 06:02:28 AM »

I am running very late this morning, but for some reason it isn't bothering me one bit.. but I should still get going

I used to voluteer to help with the mimeograph machine because I loved to smell the ink after the copies were freshly run.  LOL, whenever copies were handedout, everyone smelled them.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2007, 06:03:02 AM »

TOD:

I had very little dealings with mimeograph machines and their ilk, other than getting freshly printed test papers in grammar school and holding them up to my nose and taking a deep whiff.

I was somewhat fascinated with the Xerox machine at my local library during my early high school years.  Imagine--I could make copies of pages from my favorite theatre-related books to keep as my own!  But at ten cents a copy, this fascination didn't last very long.

For some reason, my HP scanner at home has a setting with which you can make your scan  look like early photocopies, with blotchy artifacts, blurry and shrivled print and badly-contrasted photos.  I wonder who has a need for that sort of feature?
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2007, 06:15:20 AM »

I do not own a cell phone and can't see the possibility of owning one in the future.  I have a phone at home with an answering machine and a phone at work with voice mail.  When I'm not at one of those places, I am usually either on the subway where cell phones don't work or in a theatre where they don't belong.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2007, 06:22:16 AM »

TOD (Part Deux):

I guess the first time I became aware of a computer was seeing the one on VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA.  From there my computer knowledge remained pretty much TV/movie/comicbook based until I actually used one in college (primarily to play a STAR TREK game.)

Actually, for Christmas one year, I did get a Digi-Comp computer model kit.  It was supposed to act like a real computer with which one could perform some simple processes using binary equations.  I was probably about eight or nine at the time and couldn't care less about binary equations--I just like how the thing looked and moved when you shifted the switches and levers.  This is what it looked like:

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 06:24:22 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2007, 06:57:27 AM »

I'm not sure I like my high school years refered to as "time capusule" >:(

der Brucer

Yes, I DO know what you mean, DER BRUCER.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2007, 06:59:06 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KERRY!! May you have all you wish today!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2007, 06:59:48 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DONALD FELTHAM!   I don't know you, but I hope you have a lovely day.

Ginny

« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2007, 07:18:04 AM »

February greetings from SW Ohio!

Happy birthday to DR Kerry!

Happy birthday to DJ Donald Feltham!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2007, 07:27:41 AM »

*60 above zero:* > > Arizonians turn on the heat.  People in Iowa plant gardens.
*50 above zero:* > > Californians shiver uncontrollably.  People in Cedar Rapids sunbathe.
*40 above zero:* > > Italian & English cars won't start.  People in Iowa drive with the windows down.
*32 above zero:* > > Distilled water freezes.  The water in Des Moines gets thicker.
*20 above zero:* > > Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats.  People in Iowa throw on a flannel shirt.
*15 above zero:* > > New York landlords finally turn up the heat.  People in Iowa have the last cookout before it gets cold.
   *0:* > >         People in Miami all die.  Iowans close the windows.
*10 below zero:* > > Californians fly away to Mexico.  People in Iowa get out their winter coats.  
*25 below zero:* > > Hollywood disintegrates.  The Girl Scouts in Iowa are selling cookies door to door.  
*40 below zero:* > > Washington DC runs out of hot air.  People in Iowa let the dogs sleep indoors.  
*100 below zero:* > > Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.  Iowa get upset because they can't start the Mini-Van.  
*460 below zero:* > > ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale.)  People in Iowa start saying..."Cold 'nuff fer ya?"  
*500 below zero:* > > Hell freezes over.  Iowa public schools will open 2 hours late.

these are pretty silly, but I liked this one
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:28:14 AM by Cillaliz »

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2007, 07:29:45 AM »

And Now......

A very special wish for DR Kerry on a special day...

.............HAPPY BIRTHDAY --  with Cake Galore!! .............

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2007, 07:30:43 AM »

Good morning!

I awoke to two inches of snow! Yep, our first real snow in a couple of years. It's very gray obviously and naturally very cold, too, but it's pretty to see as long as I don't have to go outside and get in it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2007, 07:32:10 AM »

DR Adrianna....thanks for the good news about the DuPar's at Farmers Market.  I know it must just be my imagination, but I always thought I liked the food there a little better than the one on Ventura Blvd.  But I love the pancakes at both of them!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2007, 07:36:14 AM »

We used the mimeo machine in high school with those stencils you had to type (but you couldn't SEE what you typed).

Absolutely right! I used that kind of mimeograph machine as a student (ran off the school newspaper on it in junior high; I was co-editor) and that kind of copy machine was still around when I became a teacher.

You used these "greasy" blue stencils to type on. Then, you hooked the stencil backwards onto the machine which had a long black ink pad, and the ink seeped through the typed letters on the stencils and printed onto the white paper put through it. Very, very messy.

The next kind of copy machine we used had a alcohol-based fluid rather than ink, and this was the "purple copier" several people have been talking about.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2007, 07:36:23 AM »

as for the TOD:

My first awareness of computer stuff was around the mid-fifties;  reading or hearing about the giant thing called Univac.... and at about the same time seeing the machine that was at the core of "Desk Set" which was called Emirac.

I actually had a "portable car phone" early on.  It indeed had a large ungainly box/base unit with a cord going to the handset.  And I thought I was Commander Buzz Correy and wasn't the world progressive and modern!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up