Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS WAY MADNESS LIES  (Read 44702 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THIS WAY MADNESS LIES
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2007, 01:22:36 PM »

I also recommended William Christiie's!

D'oh!  The first time I looked this up on Amazon, I thought it was a one disc recording but now I see that there's another out there that's a two-set.  I'll sample through this one and see how I feel about it.  So far, I'm liking the Klemperer.

Have you listened to your HAPPY END yet?  I enjoyed that one a lot!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2007, 01:23:54 PM »

All the biggest and bestest and lovingest vibes for you and your father and family Larry.
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Ginny

« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »

DR Ginny, which ones?

Cosi - La Scala, Ricardo Muti conducting
Ido - Met, James Levine conducting

Our resident opera singer, who works in Audio-Visual, advised me because I didn't have your recommendations in hand.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2007, 01:27:49 PM »

Frances Reid was on DAYS OF OUR LIVES for a thousand years as Alice Horton. I liked her. The only bit of trivia I know about her is that she smoked cigars.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2007, 01:28:27 PM »

DR Elmore - Vibes for all those things.  I'm available all day Sunday if you need any help with transportation, etc.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2007, 01:29:15 PM »

VIBES, PRAYERS AND HUGS FOR DR ELMORE, HIS DAD AND HIS FAMILY
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2007, 01:32:54 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~POSITIVE VIBES FOR DEAR ELMORE AND FAMILY~~~~~[/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2007, 01:34:36 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]~~~~~Extra Strong Vibes, Larry~~~~~[/size][/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~May death be painless, easy & swift~~~~~[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~May your  travel be safe and stress-free~~~~~[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~May all the Moore family be comforted~~~~~[/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2007, 01:34:49 PM »

I had my first music appreciation class today.

I learned how to read sheet music in 10 minute's, very exciting stuff.
We also learned about how a composer organizes sound to make music.
pitch, tone, duration, intensity, melodies, harmonys, and texture are now a part of my vocabulary.

We also learned about how the keys on a piano are organized by the number of vibrations and what perfect intervals and octaves are. Then we tested our new knowledge by listening to well known pieces and callout what we heard. For an example of melodies, harmonys, and texture we dissected the Mission Impossible theme. It was alot of fun, I love my teacher because he loves music and he really gets into the lesson, but is still patient with you if you are not musically inclined.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 01:35:49 PM by Adriana Patti »
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Tomovoz

« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2007, 01:36:07 PM »

Vibes and love from us in OZ Larry.  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2007, 01:36:12 PM »

Oh, DR ELmore, so sorry about your news, but like you, I wish him a swift and painless passing if this is what is to be.

I was very lucky that neither of my parents lingered very long when their ends came. My dad passed away in his sleep at 87. My mom had a massive stroke and was gone within twelve hours at age 83. Though I was sad that I had to give them up, my sadness was really infused with much joy that they didn't suffer or keep those who survived them lingering for a long period.

You will be in my thoughts for the next few days and I wish you and your family peace.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 01:37:30 PM by Matt H. »

François

« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »

I've had a BK morning, of sorts.

I wrote to a CD retailer from whom I buy all my FSM limited edition soundtracks.  I've done tons of business with them over the years.

At any rate, only through them are FSM collector cards available.  There are 10 cards, allegedly, each featuring a famous film composer.  I have three cards, representing two composers (yes, one is a duplicate, and that is one of the things you have to put up with).

My "BK morning" issue was that I received an order on Monday that did not include a card (one is shipped with each order, supposedly, until the supply is exhausted).  I had ordered, and received, three CDs in one package.  No card.  I didn't think a thing about because I figured the supply would exhaust soon anyway.

Yesterday, however, I learned that folks had -- that day -- received CDs that included a card.  When I got home, I had another CD they sold me, and there was one of the duplicate cards I now have.

I sent them a very nice e-mail explaining that I had checked all the packaging from the previous order and that no card had been included.  Could I, I wondered, have a "card credit" on my next order and get two cards if they still had a supply?

The reply I got  indicated I could request an extra card with my next order.

However, the reply began with "Sheesh!" and ended with "I need an aspirin."

I am - for lack of better words -- very hurt by this reply.  I've not only purchased thousands of dollars worth of CDs from them over the years, but I've also ordered CDs from them at Christmas to be mailed to various folks around the world.

I suppose this person has "had it" with the collector cards and wishes they'd never come into being.

I wish, however, that this person had given a bit more thought to his response.

I doubt seriously I'll ever order from them again.

Gee, I do understand your "disappointment"! They sound like the "old" Footlight.com to me!
Well, if you have a choice, I'd stop being a customer if I were you! Period!
They have a right to feel annoyed but they also have a right to stay professional, I think!

François

« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2007, 01:39:18 PM »

CDs:
Theme music from
Barcelona Olympics
Atlanta Olympics
Sydney Olympics
Moscow Olympic
L.A. Olympics
Munich Olympics
Tokyo Olympics

Last DVD watched  "Kinky Boots"

WHAT? No Paris Olympics?!

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2007, 01:40:18 PM »

I began my afternoon with last night's SMALLVILLE.

My goodness, Lana is one tough lady. She's pregnant, takes two massive falls (one down a long flight of stairs; the other through a skylight though Clark caught her), and she and her baby survive.

I was very pleased with the Chloe/Jimmy situation. The stalker mystery of the plot was so elementary as to be funny.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2007, 01:41:47 PM »

All the vibes and xylophones in the world to elmore.  I wasn't aware that Kevin had finally gotten off his ass to get his show orchestrated.

Fifteen minutes ago I had a message saying discs would be here in twenty minutes - about four minutes from now.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2007, 01:41:50 PM »

Next came last night's MY NAME IS EARL, a very funny story of Joy and her half-sister who was training to became a professional wrestler. It was also a very clever way to write the real life pregnancy of actress Jaime Pressly into the show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2007, 01:42:17 PM »

Which probably means two o'clock.  I really wanted to be at the post office at two, but I guess that won't be happening.

François

« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2007, 01:42:36 PM »

I was notified this morning by my brother, just as I was walking out the dorr to my accountant's office, that he's dpoken to my dad's oncologist,  who believes there may be only 3 days to 3 weeks for him to live.  This afternoon, I came home to a message from both brothers advising a return ASAP.  I'm planning to book a flight for Sunday morning, and it all depends on two things: settling the financial mess over this current bank transfer - it seems the mess is Bank of America's - and getting a flight.  At the latest I will be out of New York on Monday afternoon.

I need tomorrow to finish some loose ends here and to pack up the work for TOYLAND, LADY OF THE SLIPPER, Liz Callaway and Kevin Spirtas that I will take with me.

I need vibes for three things, please:
1.  my dad; I pray his death is swift, painless and comfortable as possible
2.  my travel
3.  that this accounting mess is cleared up by tomorrow so I have money to travel and resolve my banking problems

Thanks!

Postive vibes for you, dear Elmore!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2007, 01:43:16 PM »

Now it's twenty minutes.  

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2007, 01:44:03 PM »

THE OFFICE had another classic episode last night, Phyllis' wedding which, naturally, Michael had to position himself to be the center of attention. One hilarious gaffe after another, and then the entire Jim-Pam-Karen triangle (with Pam's ex-fiance Roy added into the mix now) gave a note of anxiety and wistfulness to the proceedings.

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »

30 ROCK had some silly fun last night with Alec Baldwin's impending divorce from Isabella Rossalini, again this week's guest star. Not consistently hilarious, but there were certainly funny bits. Nice to see Sherri Shepherd from the late lamented Sara Rue sitcom as Tracy Morgan's wife.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2007, 01:46:59 PM »

The boys in the backroom have just finished making a DVD of Act I for me---I was able to dub it while I'm upgrading. My editing program on my laptop no longer works but I will try reloading it when I get home.

What method shall I send it, based on your recent mail revelations? You can PM me the info.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2007, 01:47:45 PM »

DR Emore---mega mega hugs and vibes to you and your family. I will be thinking of you this weekend and hoping the best for all of you.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2007, 01:48:16 PM »

Next, I watched THE KNIGHTS OF PROSPERITY, and they finally got into Mick Jagger's apartment, but, surprise, they messed up, got caught on security video, and had to find a way to get that file deleted from the security company's hard drive. Good episode but there have been funnier ones.

François

« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2007, 01:48:22 PM »

The boys in the backroom have just finished...

Boy! You got me scared for a moment! ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2007, 01:50:04 PM »

Switching to DVDs for awhile, I watched the featurette on director Bruce Humberstone from the CHARLIE CHAN AT THE OPERA DVD. Interesting little documentary. He directed more pictures than I was aware of, and I thought of DR MBarnum as they were talking about the two Gordon Scott/Tarzan movies he helmed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2007, 01:50:15 PM »

I'm waiting not so patiently.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2007, 01:50:32 PM »

All the vibes and xylophones in the world to elmore.  I wasn't aware that Kevin had finally gotten off his ass to get his show orchestrated.

Just a couple of numbers, but it's in the works now. He's doing an AIDS-cancer benefit in Florida next month.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2007, 01:51:20 PM »

Two people who have radio shows on the local college station. WRAS, would like to have copies of The Brain CD to play on their shows. (One program is called On With The Show!)

Do you plan on sending out any promo copies? If I heard The Brain on the radio in Atlanta, I think I would probably wreck my car!

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »

I finshed the afternoon with the first thirty minutes of the film SERENITY, the movie version of the TV series FIREFLY. I have seen this before on DVD but not since I first got the disc, and reading about several of the cast members who are going to have new TV series either later this season or next season, I put this back in today to see it again. I remember that three significent crew members died during the movie, but the details of the film I simply could not remember. I'm enjoying seeing it again.

It has a great Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack that has really been making the windows in my den rattle.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 01:53:16 PM by Matt H. »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up