Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW AGE NEW YEAR  (Read 27031 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE NEW AGE NEW YEAR
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2003, 02:39:25 PM »

Today is the day to expunge all feelings - good, bad, maudlin, angry, whatever.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2003, 02:39:59 PM »

Now on to serious business. I have indeed had highs and lows durring 2003. The best help I received for my "lows" was from friends on this board. Things always work out for the best (Candide!) but it is so difficult to accept that at the time. Meeting new friends here has been wonderful too. For 2004 our planned trip to France and (hopefully the US of A) should be the highlite. We hope to add more Hainsies to our "reality" list. We only accept Jose as being real but the rest of you could all be figments of BK's imagination and his multiple personalities.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 03:04:05 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2003, 02:41:37 PM »

Those huskie pictures are absolutely adorable. Gave me a wonderful laugh.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2003, 02:46:16 PM »

What a lovely message, Jane.

Highlights of 2003(The Top Three):  (1)Earning the two roles I coveted A)Matthew Harrison Brady in Inherit the Wind; and B) Horace Vandegelder in Hello, Dolly!.  (2) Winning Best Actor honors for both productions, one from the theater itself for DOLLY, and the other from the community for INHERIT.  (3) Finding HHW and all of the wonderful people that are part of this site from BK, Mark, and Craig who make it happen; to the newest members and the lurkers, as well.

Lowlights of 2003 (The Bottom 3): (1)My continuing health problems (my back, my hip, my pneumonia),  (2) losing my battle with Uncle Sam over income taxes, (3) and the temporary stagnation of my own business, The Birkeland Touch.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2003, 02:46:24 PM »

Finally have some time to post about the trip and about the highlights of 2003.

Hightlights of 2003 seem to be all theatre related.  All the shows I MD'd were awesome, including "Hello, Dolly!" with 6. 7 and 8 graders.  I saw Elaine Stritch live as well as toured backstage of the Phantom of the Opera tour and met Lisa Vroman.  It's been a decent year and what better way to top it off than a trip to NYC.

As I posted earlier this morning, we saw 5 awesome shows.  By some fluke, we got 5th row center seats for "The Boy From Oz" 40 minutes before curtain, and what fun THAT was.  The second act was SO good, I think I may have cried.  On the downside of TBFO, I can't see this show working without Hugh Jackman, I know the show will close for a week or so when he is on vacation, and his contract is for a year, but unless someone studies him real hard, I can't see anyone else that would be able to play the part.  We're really glad we saw this show.  

If you get a chance and are in NYC in the next few weeks, see "The Musical of Musicals - The Musical", I've never laughed so hard in my life.  5 skits all with the same plot (I can't pay the rent, you WILL pay the rent, I'll pay the rent) in different comoposer styles - R&H, Sondheim, Herman, ALW and Kander and Ebb, and it was just a hoot.

We supped at Joe Allen after "Taboo" and I was pleased to hear BK's Schwartz CD playing in one of the Broadway Souveneir shops.  There are the HHW connections.

Happy New Year, all.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2003, 02:51:49 PM »

Now on to serious business. I have indeed had highs and lows druring 2003. The best help I received for my "lows" was from friends on this board. Things always work out for the best (Candide!) but it is so difficult to accept that at the time. Meeting new friends here has been wonderful too. For 2004 our planned trip to France and (hopefully the US of A) should be the highlite. We hope to add more Hainsies to our "reality" list. We only accept Jose as being real but the rest of you could all be figments of BK's imagination and his multiple personalities.

Ozzie, if you are going to quote Candide, shouldn't it be Glitter and Be Gay?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2003, 02:52:03 PM »

Siblings:
I grew up with an older sister Patricia. We were both adopted but not blood relatives.
I have two brothers Grant and Chris who are 8 and 10 years younger. (They are full brothers) and I have a half sister Fay who is 14 years older and a half brother LLoyd who is 12 years older.  Apart from Patricia, the family member with whom I have the clloset affinity id Lloys and I have only known him and his family for 12 years.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2003, 02:52:41 PM »

Me Glitter?
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2003, 02:54:34 PM »

MBarnum you have a rather large number of siblings.

Yes, when you parents marry 3 times each, this happens! LOL!

My mother wasn’t supposed to have any more children but she played a trick on my father and here I am.

My mother wasn't supposed to have any more children either...I was quite a surprise to she and her first husband (who was not my father)...moral of the story, don't let your lonely housewives join a bowling league! LOL! I will skip the sordid details!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2003, 02:59:22 PM »

I listened yesterday for the first itme to bk's Schwartz CD and loved it. My fave cuts at this moment - this will change with more listenings are Chenoweth's "Lion Tamer" and the late great Dorothy Loudon's "No Time at All"... While I was listening I had this image of Bruce in the booth smiling and just "willing" Loudon to give it her all -- which, voice problems or not, she most certainly does.

Panni

« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2003, 03:06:14 PM »

I'm an only child - sort of. My father's first wife was killed in the Holocaust. He had a son who was borderline psychotic and was, I think, around 13 when I was born. (My father didn't want other kids because his only one turned out so badly. My mother had many abortions, then finally put her foot down and said "I'm HAVING this one." That would be  Me.) He (half-brother) would do cute things like tell me when my mother and father went out that if they were in an accident and never returned, he would put me out on the street and I'd have to beg to get food. I was 2 or 3 when he told me things of this sort. I haven't seen or spoken to him in over 20 years. The sad thing is that he's my only link to my father who died when I was very young.

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2003, 03:12:35 PM »

My NY date:
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2003, 03:13:12 PM »

I am soooo tired, I can barely keep my eyes open.  Don't think I'll get out before five.  But tomorrow is off and I shall rest and relax, not necessarily in that order.

I love the Loudon track.  It's one of my faves.  And Kristin's track is perfection - one take, goodbye.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2003, 03:20:47 PM »

Suffice to say, DR Tom, that the pic is swoonable.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2003, 03:21:44 PM »

Oh, and the HHW Hussies learned a big rule last night... never offer to show your ID!  Unless the place cards you at the door, you'll often have no problem at all getting them underage types in with you, but once they see one ID, they usually want to see them all.

I would just like to say that when we were inside and about to order drinks, I TRIED to stop Maya from bum-rushing the bar brandishing her ID, but she was too quick for me!  :)

I had a lovely time meeting Maya, Emily, Andrea, non-DR Robin, and Jason last night.  I think Maya already summarized the evening pretty well, although I'm sure we will hear more border stories when Emily and Andrea get back online.  And as promised, here is a picture of us outside Ollie's in Times Square.  (I assume you all know who we are, but just in case - from left to right, Emily, Andrea, Maya, me, and Jason!)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 03:28:56 PM by LC »
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2003, 03:25:07 PM »

Happy New Year to everyone!   ;D 8) :) ;D

I am an only child and am very happy about that - I look at the sibling dynamics of my friends and family and think it worked out for the best that I grew up with lots of solitude.

I have loved everyone's pet pictures.  Here is one of my lazy kitty:

If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Laura II

« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2003, 03:28:13 PM »

DR Jane: I'm sorry Keith is sick. I hope he feels better soon!

DR Panni: Your story made me sad. I'm sorry your older half-brother treated you like that.

Drs MBarnum and Jane: Glad you liked the pic! (and Mymy too)

My family:
mom: Angela
dad: Cary
children: Laura
              Anthony

Lows of 2003: Family members finding out they have cancer, a little bit of boy trouble, certain things my classmates did that upset me

Highs: graduating from high school (although that was bittersweet), following my heart and taking a year off before college--shades of "On the Steps of the Palace" :), working at a performing arts school, "meeting" some wonderful people (Mymy, Mark, Seany, all of you!) and maintaining strong friendships with my friends in college and those still in my old high school

hopes for 2004: peace throughout the world, good health for all, end of abortion, help in decision-making, more patience, spiritual growth, more generosity of spirit, and a little romance!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 03:29:40 PM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2003, 03:29:38 PM »

Thanks Leslie. Glad you gave the names as Jason would have been difficult to guess.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 04:14:00 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2003, 03:37:56 PM »

DR Laura II - No sadness allowed today.

Panni

« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2003, 03:39:04 PM »

...Besides, He's stuck in some hellhole in Budapest and I'm in sunny
Studio City. Who's laughing now, eh?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2003, 03:41:14 PM »

I'm laughing now.  I laugh and laugh and then I laugh some more.  I'm soooo tired, I might not even make Vinnie's NY eve party (I was going to drop by early on) - I think I just need to vege - I tend to get sick when I get so overtired and we don't want that to happen.  Must be very careful since I'm around so many folks who are under the weather.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2003, 04:02:51 PM »

Jane:  I have question.... other than a vivid description of my last lover, what or who is Jo-Jo the Dog-Faced Reindeer?

Well, TCB, "Jo Jo the Dog Faced Reindeer" was a long-in-development children's Xmas special about a wanna-be Santa's reindeer who is terribly self-conscious about his dog-like appearance.  Sort of a variation on making the most of the attributes your born with--kinda like the Rudolf fable.  Seems that one Xmas eve, Santa is waylaid by a pack of vicious dogs near Hackensack, NJ and only "Jo Jo" can save him...and Christmas.  It's a great PBS special and Echo played the part with aplomb.  At least that's how I remember it.

Anyway, the name for the special was derived from the real-life “JoJo the dog-faced boy” who toured with P T Barnum throughout the US and Europe in the 1880s and 90s.  Apparently, he suffered from hypertrichosis, or abnormal hair growth, which caused him to grow long hair all over his face.

So does this photo of Jo Jo resemble your last lover?

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2003, 04:06:01 PM »

My dear friend Jeff (who was seated next to me in the picture I posted a week or two ago) told me he was going out tonight simply because he couldn't stand to be alone on New Year's Eve. For some reason, this has never bothered me. Do others feel the need to be in the company of people, even strangers in a crowded bar, on New Year's Eve?

Jed

« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2003, 04:08:28 PM »

Well, TCB, "Jo Jo the Dog Faced Reindeer" was a long-in-development children's Xmas special about a wanna-be Santa's reindeer who is terribly self-conscious about his dog-like appearance.  Sort of a variation on making the most of the attributes your born with--kinda like the Rudolf fable.  Seems that one Xmas eve, Santa is waylaid by a pack of vicious dogs near Hackensack, NJ and only "Jo Jo" can save him...and Christmas.  It's a great PBS special and Echo played the part with aplomb.  At least that's how I remember it.

Anyway, the name for the special was derived from the real-life “JoJo the dog-faced boy” who toured with P T Barnum throughout the US and Europe in the 1880s and 90s.  Apparently, he suffered from hypertrichosis, or abnormal hair growth, which caused him to grow long hair all over his face.

So does this photo of Jo Jo resemble your last lover?

Hmm... I don't think Keith's fever is improving. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2003, 04:09:58 PM »

Gosh, I've never felt "alone" when I'm by myself.

I'm the best company I know!  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2003, 04:11:08 PM »

I have been alone on New Year's Eve for the last ten years, despite having had invitations to go places.  I just prefer to be alone, to contemplate the year past and the year upcoming, and reflect on many things.  Plus, we iz havin' a partay here.

Jed

« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2003, 04:12:02 PM »

MattH - Not at all.  I've done a solo New Year's or two and not minded it at all.  If I have a group of friends getting together, as I do tonight, then I'm there with bells on, but if not, I'd prefer an evening by myself than with a mass of strangers.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2003, 04:14:51 PM »

Where do you hang the bells Jed?
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2003, 04:15:24 PM »

I had to do some digging to come up with this. It's the picture of our first dog, a fox terrier named Sister. That's my brother on the left who's holding Sister.

Michael

« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2003, 04:25:04 PM »

I want to wish everyone a happy new year.
I was without internet connection until a minute ago.

Now to catch up on all the notes I missed.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up