Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW AGE NEW YEAR  (Read 27030 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE NEW AGE NEW YEAR
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2003, 04:30:49 PM »

Nice to have you back with us, DR Michael.  :)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2003, 04:31:53 PM »

Not out of here yet, but very very soon.

Jed

« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2003, 04:33:30 PM »

Where do you hang the bells Jed?

Well, let's just say that studded tires come to mind...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

William E. Lurie

« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2003, 04:50:41 PM »

We're just staying home on New Years Eve like always.  Back when Broadway shows didn't cancel or start early on New Years Eve I went to a show and couldn't get out of the area until after midnight, nor could I even see the ball.  It's too much of a madhouse... and besides I still believe in the Constitution and the 4th Ammendment which makes unreasonable search and seizure against the law and from everything I've heard this law will be broken with everyone going into the Times Square area.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Kerry

« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2003, 04:51:22 PM »

Well, let's just say that studded tires come to mind...

Jed, I'm so glad you said it and i didn't have to!!!!!!!!
I like boat races.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2003, 04:53:59 PM »

Dear Reader TCB--

Were those animals alive in those two pictures???
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Kerry

« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2003, 04:54:50 PM »

Jed, also tell your mother she has a lovely name and knows the proper spelling!

You really want my siblings' names?

Kathleen
Kerry
Kevin
Karen
Kris
Kim

Cute huh?  Too cute, if you ask me.  Karen and Kris are twins.  I love most of my siblings but could do without one or two of them.  It's amazing what damage a sibling can do.   Thank God for therapy!!!!!!!!!  I think BK and I shared the same brother!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 04:55:23 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Jay

« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2003, 04:54:50 PM »

Dear Reader MBarnum--

Regarding your, um, heritage:  All I can say is "OH MY!"

Jay

« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2003, 04:55:38 PM »

Dear Reader LC--

Welcome back!  And thanks for the picture of the gang at Times Square.

Jay

« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2003, 04:59:16 PM »

You really want my siblings' names?

Kathleen
Kerry
Kevin
Karen
Kris
Kim

Cute huh?  Too cute, if you ask me.  

Stuck on the letter "K" your parents were, eh?

With all these large families and interesting naming schemes, I am reminded of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, in which the brothers are given biblical names, in alphabetical order, starting with "Adam."

Michael

« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2003, 05:01:14 PM »

Talkng of families...

I will never forget when my father introduced me to my relatives at the last big gathering. This is how is went

Shake hands with your Uncle Max, my boy
And here is your sister Shirl
And here is your cousin Isabel
That's Irving's oldest girl
And you remember the Tishman twins
Gerald and Jerome
We all came out to greet you
And to wish you welcome home

Meet..
Merowitz, Berowitz, Handelman, Schandelman
Sperber and Gerber and Steiner and Stone
Boskowitz, Lubowitz, Aaronson, Baronson,
Kleinman and Feinman and Freidman and Cohen

Smallowitz, Wallowitz, Tidelbaum, Mandelbaum
Levin, Levinsky, Levine and Levi
Brumburger, Schlumburger, Minkus and Pinkus
And Stein with an "e-i" and Styne with a "y"

Shake hands with your Uncle Sol mein boy
And here is your brother Sid
And here is your cousin Yetta
Who expects another kid

Whenever you're on away mein boy
Wherever you may roam
We'll all be here when you come back
To wish you welcome home
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2003, 05:08:03 PM »

I haven't read any of the posts today...well, not past the first page...but I'm home taping a jazz concert on www.wamc.org with former Manhattan Transfer member Laurel Massé.  I'm recording it directly to my computer (it's two hours long!) so I hope nothing happens to screw it up.  The program that Laurel hosts is not archived, so if something goes wrong, I've lost it!  Wish me luck! :-\

Jed, are you listening to it?  It's just started!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2003, 05:20:35 PM »

John Gregory Dunne, the best-selling author of "True Confessions" known for his biting critiques of Hollywood and frequent collaborations with his wife, Joan Didion, has died. He was 71.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 05:30:14 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2003, 05:24:29 PM »

Charles Berlitz, a noted linguist and author whose books, including ``The Bermuda Triangle,'' explored the paranormal, has died at age 90.

Berlitz, whose grandfather founded the language schools that bear the family name, died Dec. 18 at University Hospital in Tamarac, relatives said.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 05:28:01 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2003, 05:26:05 PM »

British comedian Bob Monkhouse, who wrote jokes for Bob Hope and Frank Sinatra in a 50-year showbusiness career, died on Monday aged 75, his manager said.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 05:27:21 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2003, 05:31:33 PM »

DR Kerry. Were the family pets a Kangaroo and a Koala?
Welcome back MDS. I assumed you were at a Wild Party.
DR Jed: Thanks for the answer. Who gets to ring the bells?  Do the studs jangle with the bells?  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2003, 05:34:20 PM »

MusicGuy. Mercurio displayed more than could be described "Strictly Ballroom". He certainly didn't have to sing or dance to get major applause. (I avoided the term clap).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 10:34:45 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2003, 05:44:53 PM »

Managed to get out right at five and am now home and almost ready for our Rockin' New Year's Eve Do.  I will let all you know that one of the surprises this evening will be opening the chat room so we can really get wild and wooly and also wooly and wild.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2003, 05:47:53 PM »

Michael Shayne..

In the future, could you please post a link to the playbill article and not the entire thing. Tremendous waste of bandwidth and space here.

WEL, you wrote "and besides I still believe in the Constitution and the 4th Ammendment which makes unreasonable search and seizure against the law and from everything I've heard this law will be broken with everyone going into the Times Square area"

Being on orange alert and considering the recent terrorist cell "activity" I don't think it's "unreasonable".  Like you have decided to not go, that is the choice of anyone heading to that area. If you were "forced" into being searched where you had no choice where you are - or completely randomly, then I would say 4th Ammendment rights would be violated.

Just my .02

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2003, 05:48:29 PM »

That being said..  I hope everyone at HHW has a very happy, healthy and SAFE New Years Eve!!!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2003, 05:49:02 PM »

How depressing to read the list of names.  Per the posts immediately preceeding it there were still more names and there are a few hours left.

By the way, I read of many of those deaths first here at HHW.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 05:49:49 PM by William E. Lurie »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2003, 05:55:47 PM »

Dear Reader TCB--

That was the first thing Keith said to me but he was afraid to ask.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2003, 05:57:42 PM »

The 4th Ammendment doesn't mention that it's okay to be searched only at places where you do not choose to be.  Some of the rent-a-cops at various theatres, buildings, etc. relish the fact that they can search everyone for no reason at all.  I still remember going to a show inside the Jewish Museum and having my old, dull nail clippers confiscated.  What was I going to do... make the piano player play a different score?  Every time any American's 4th Ammendment rights are taken away is another victory for whomever it is we are supposed to be afraid of.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2003, 06:03:03 PM »

Well, we will not search anybody here at haineshisway.com.  We are not on Code Orange here at haineshisway.com.  We will be having a safe and sound Rockin' New Year's Eve Do here at haineshisway.com.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2003, 06:04:05 PM »

Thank you TCB.

Panni and Matt H compared to you both I am very lucky.  My sister wasn’t too bad when I was young.  For the most part we were close and had some great times together, but then I was young and did whatever she said.   When I was 17 she began to change and became worse over the years.  The signs were always there, I just didn’t realize yet.  The last five years were absolutely terrible but I didn’t walk away because of my father.  

Matt it is a cute picture of you, your brother and Sister.

Thanks LauraII, Keith really is improving, just not as fast as he would like.

I have never been alone on New Year’s Eve.  I’m sure I would rather be alone than someplace with strangers.

LC thanks for the fun picture.  

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2003, 06:06:31 PM »

WEL.. while I see your point. The world and our country changed on 9/11 and there isn't much we can do about that. I'm not arguing with you (so please don't take it that way) But I can tell you first hand that I worked for a publications company for 6 years and didn't think TWICE about the fact that in my carry-on luggage I would bring several box cutters, x-acto knives, etc for my job. No one thought twice I am sure until 9/11.

While it is unfortunate with new security measure - I am all for keeping everyone safe. Not at the expense of the constitution - but please remember that the document you are referring to was written LONG before such threats actually existed.

Surely given the chaotic nature that occurs during NYE in Times Square (I have been twice) - you wouldn't begrudge the city a little lattitude in the interest of keeping any possible criminal activity down?

Unfair, yes - probably. Illegal and unconstitutional, I don't really think so...

Danise

« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2003, 06:15:10 PM »

Happy New Years Eve, Everyone!

I’m sorry if I gave the impression it was already New Years here in Florida.  I just meant to say that was the plan for tonight.  I’m already more tired than I should be.  I feel like I’m coming down with something and feel really blah.  

The boss wanted the gang to go out to lunch today.  I honestly didn’t feel like going and really didn’t want to go when I learned where they chose to go.  The sea food place.   Ugh.  Thank goodness they serve French Onion Soup.  

Regarding the 8 inch issue.  At the risk of being  risky there is an old joke that goes–Do you know why women usually are bad at measuring? The answer is below.

Jane, the last JAG I saw was the old Christmas show from last year.  I think they are into reruns already.  Don’t they come out with a few news ones later in the year to keep your interest peaked?

I love all the doggie/kitty posts.  Let me try to post a picture of my current two.  I can’t imagine a life with some kind of animal in it.  

So far as the old  year goes–it had it’s share of ups and downs.  Seems like more downs than ups when I really stop and think about it but I won’t bore you with the details.

On the plus side, I have a job I’m happy with, have managed to become completely debt free (no mean feat as I’m sure you know) and kept my New Years Resolutions from last year.  I’m grateful for new friends made and old friends kept.  I’m deeply sorry for any harm or hurt I may have caused.  I hope I was of some help to others.

Since I completed my resolutions from last year,  I can hope this years will meet with equal success.  As you know, I’m hoping for a new/different house or barring that a MAJOR upgrade to the current abode, a trip to NYC and better heath. Lastly, I wish you and yours the fulfillment of your dearest wish, whatever that may be.

Oh, and here is the answer to my question.  The reason women can't measure correctly is because all of our lives we’ve been told something this big _________________ is 8 inches.   I’ll leave you to fill in just what that object is.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 06:23:58 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2003, 06:23:53 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY NEW YEAR![/move]

DR Joy and Noel's amazing wedding

It's one of the thrills of 2003 to read so many positive comments about Our Wedding - The Musical on these pages.

2003 was a marvelous year all around:

October 12 in the Village there was Our Wedding - The Musical and it was great to see it greeted with more laughter and tears than anything I've witnessed.

The following week The New York Times gave it a rave with two huge photographs and they could have covered the wedding of Jason Robert Brown to Georgia Stitt instead.  There was also a wonderful write-up by Jeffrey Sweet, something of a think-piece, for Dramatics and we excerpted this for the liner notes to the CD (now selling briskly at www.WeddingMusical.com )

In fact, I'd call the release of the CD a highlight in itself.  James Roehlehr did an amazing job balancing the sound so you can hear my 4-year-old niece as easily as the rollicking gospel choir of 10.  It's the first time my songs have been on a CD that is commercially available.

He also recorded my song They Call That Dancing, which was written with and for a group of visually-impaired dancers, ages 8-12, at the Lighthouse.  The performance of this in June would have to be a highlight in anyone's book.

While Our Wedding played for an audience of friends and family, I don't know where the audience came from for Katz at the Donnell Library last January.  DW Joy put together this retrospective of songs I've written between 1979 and 2002, and I'm told it was the most successful of all 13 years of the Donnell
monthly songbook series.  Lovely performances by a cast of five.  The comedy songs went over so well I was surprised to hear so many audience members
comment on the more serious narrative, "So I Chose."  Many a middle-aged woman claimed "That was my life, and you captured all the feelings."

This song was reprised at the Donnell's "Discovered Treasures" show in September, which was set up as a sort of "best of" for the series, which features new musical theatre writing every month.

Of all musical theatre writers now living, there's none I admire more than Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock.  In May, I had the privelege of assembling a revue of their songs, Grand Knowing You, for a huge and talented cast.  Such a wealth of wonderful material.  

And two weeks after that I was performing my incidental music for La Ronde, scored for piano, violin and soprano.  Lyrics by a guy who'd had a musical on Broadway whom I never met.

And, though infinitessimally minor, I made a musical contribution to the Broadway production of Long Day's Journey Into Night, one of three favors I did for Vanessa Redgrave last summer.  I enjoyed working with such a gracious and legendary talent.

It's hard to think of a low point this year.  I've a very sick friend, but she's exceeded expectations by hanging on and she made it to Our Wedding and to see in the New Year.

I've not had a chance to read posts, but will do so when I get back home in a week and a half.

The CD is still being shipped, even though I'm away:
    http://www.weddingmusical.com
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2003, 06:32:05 PM »

Dear Reader TCB--

Yes, DR Jay, only sleeping.

And speaking of photos.... What is the point of having a memory card for my digital camera, if I can never remember where I put it?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2003, 06:46:15 PM »

Kerry - In my mother's family, Kerry is followed by Kevin, too!  However, they have a Shannon as the eldest sibling.

George - I did listen to some of the WAMC show, but for some reason the streaming audio wasn't being overly-cooperative with my computer (as is my fershluganah computer's way at times), so I finally gave up.

Also... I'm listening to the Violet OCR at the moment.  Just have to say once again how much I enjoy this score.  If anybody is unfamiliar with it, that must be rectified!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up