Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRUISM  (Read 57514 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE TRUISM
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2007, 08:06:16 AM »

Good morning!

It's going to be another beautiful day here. Not a cloud in the sky right now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2007, 08:08:11 AM »

"Woody" is a nickname.  It is not an agnomen, as it does not refer to anything.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2007, 08:08:44 AM »

Page Four Woody Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2007, 08:14:13 AM »

Oy! What a morning I've had!

My friend Jeff called at the crack of dawn (actually 8:15, I was just getting out of bed) saying he needed to be taken to the emergency room. So, I threw on clothes and raced over there to get him. Took him to the closest hospital (had never been to the emergency side of the building, and it was a MAZE), and then took me a long time to find visitor parking and get back to the emergency room to check on him. It was at least an hour before a doctor came in to check him out. Some sort of intestinal flu that's going around. They were going to give him some medicine and fluids and we how he responded, so I came back home. I'll know later if he's to be admitted or to be released and then I can go pick him up or visit as needed.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2007, 08:16:19 AM »

I really liked Dirk Shafer's MAN OF THE YEAR. I haven't watched it in awhile, but I do have fond memories of it. Might need to take it off the shelf and give it a spin soon.

I have no interest whatsoever in the Robin Williams movie of the same name.

FJL

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2007, 08:16:46 AM »

Speedy recovery vibes to Matt's friend Jeff

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2007, 08:17:54 AM »

No, I don't meditate or medicate, unless you call taking a multiple vitamin each morning medicating.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2007, 08:18:57 AM »

Speedy recovery vibes to Matt's friend Jeff

Thanks! He was as pale and weak as I've ever seen him. Said he had been up since 4 a.m. in distress. What a long night for him!

FJL

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2007, 08:19:03 AM »

Have we ever discussed Dirk Shafer's other film CIRCUIT here on HHW?  I was surprised by how grim it was, but Shafer showed a sure directorial hand, I thought.  Surprised he hasn't done much else film-wise.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2007, 08:20:07 AM »

I'll have VERONICA MARS and both LAW & ORDERs to watch today.

Really looking forward to VM as monumental events happened last week that switched the series around completely.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2007, 08:20:59 AM »

Have we ever discussed Dirk Shafer's other film CIRCUIT here on HHW?  I was surprised by how grim it was, but Shafer showed a sure directorial hand, I thought.  Surprised he hasn't done much else film-wise.

I knew nothing about it. I'm assuming it's about circuit boys. Available on DVD?

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2007, 08:24:10 AM »

Actor Bruce Bennett (aka Herman Brix) died at age 100 of complications from a broken hip Saturday at Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center.

Olympic athlete turned actor who played Tarzan in the 1930s then went on to play leads and character roles for the next several decades. He made many recent appearences at the Ray Courts Show in Burbank over the last few years.

Many HHWers will recall him as Joan Crawfords husband in MILDRED PEIRCE or as the hero in THE COSMIC MAN and THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2007, 08:24:42 AM »

Very nice review on Amazon, DR JRand.

FJL

« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2007, 08:26:58 AM »

CIRCUIT is on DVD.  I became aware of the movie because it was on the film festival rounds the same time as Dear Friend Joe Triebwasser's film FRIENDS AND FAMILY, and both films happened to feature the amazingly talented Brian Lane Green.  (Interestingly, Brian Lane Green plays the "plain-looking" boyfriend in CIRCUIT - now, that's acting!)

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2007, 08:30:10 AM »

So, any regular 24-watchers on here?

Is it just me - or is this season just stagnant?  I mean, I love the show, but I feel like I haven't been "engaged" to this season like I have in the others...
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

FJL

« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2007, 08:31:51 AM »

Brian Lane Green played supporting roles in FRIENDS AND FAMILY and CIRCUIT, but even though he's not a celeb, when he would show up at the screenings, heads would turn in a "who IS that?" manner.  Definitely has star quality, another person I'm shocked hans't hit it even bigger than he has.  But I think he's more interested in becoming known as a writer.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2007, 08:39:35 AM »

Lunch!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2007, 08:42:12 AM »

I'm not a meditation sort of fellow.

I am, however, a medication sort.  I strongly advise that anyone who even suspects that they may be chronically depressed see their doctor - the meds have improved my life immeasurably, not to mention the lives of those around me.

As for that couch-jumping nitwit that Katie Holmes married, who claims that all anyone needs is vitamins, I have just one question: Why is it that people with sub-par IQs so often believe they're the smartest people in the world?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2007, 08:46:30 AM »

Oh... As I'm looking at my vocal score for Sunday in the Park with George...

When you're rehearsing a show, is there any sort of ritual or process or tradition you follow once the show moves out the rehearsal hall and into the theatre?

For example...

-And I picked this up from a college professor of mine...

On the last day of rehearsal in the studio, I tear off a piece of the tape that was used to mark off the set on the floor, and I place it on my score.  My professor - who was a director - would place a piece of the tape on his script.

Yes, my ritual is to say, "Hoo and ray, I don't have to be in this ugly, dank rehearsal room anymore!"

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2007, 08:50:04 AM »

Brian Lane Green played supporting roles in FRIENDS AND FAMILY and CIRCUIT, but even though he's not a celeb, when he would show up at the screenings, heads would turn in a "who IS that?" manner.  Definitely has star quality, another person I'm shocked hans't hit it even bigger than he has.  But I think he's more interested in becoming known as a writer.

He's just been cast as the gay writer in the pilot for a comedy series based on the lives of WILL & GRACE creators Dave Kohan and Max Mutchnick.

Or am I thinking of someone else. The Brian Green I'm talking about was on FREDDIE last season.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 08:53:47 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2007, 08:52:20 AM »

So, any regular 24-watchers on here?

Is it just me - or is this season just stagnant?  I mean, I love the show, but I feel like I haven't been "engaged" to this season like I have in the others...

I'm a huge fan of '24,' but this season isn't topping last season (or the first season, in my mind the two best seasons of the show). This week's episode was more set-up than execution (except for the very end, of course), and I'm hopeful now that the scheming Logan is back in the picture, things will pick up. Powers Boothe as the VP should also provide some much needed chicanery.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2007, 08:52:40 AM »

Question for BK:

What were the first and last comedy albums you ever purchased?

Two answers for the first part: Mr. Magoo in Hi-Fi would be the real first comedy album - I loved that album.  First comedian comedy album would have been the first Shelly Berman album - also had Bob Newhart and Louis Nye albums, but Shelly was first.

Last comedy album - Derek and Clive: Live  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2007, 08:54:56 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day:

Which movie biography of which person do you think most accurately reflects that person's life?

And which is the worst distortion of the reality?

It's so hard to know which accurately reflects since I have never actually known anyone who's had a film made from their life.  The worst distortion - so many - Night and Day and the more recent Cole Porter pic come to mind.

Was Love Me Or Leave Me faithful to Miss Etting's real story?  I love the Jolson Story - but I think it's pretty fanciful, even though Jolie was involved.

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2007, 08:55:45 AM »

I guess I'll head down now and get some lunch.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2007, 08:56:56 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.  Have shaved, and will shower shortly or shortly shower, whichever comes first.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2007, 08:59:49 AM »

I'm a huge fan of '24,' but this season isn't topping last season (or the first season, in my mind the two best seasons of the show). This week's episode was more set-up than execution (except for the very end, of course), and I'm hopeful now that the scheming Logan is back in the picture, things will pick up. Powers Boothe as the VP should also provide some much needed chicanery.

Agreed -- I actually was quite excited at Greg Itzin's return...a little more so than usual due to the lack of...whatever it is from this season.  And Powers Boothe - yessssss...

I guess I feel like they are using too many of the old conventions and not exploring new area.  I mean, watch Keifer play with the family stuff is great - if it were a complex, intimate drama - but not for 24, because the plots have to be unusually far-fetched to make it work.

The only thing that hooked me (and I thought was going to really propel this season forward) was the nuke in Valencia...but it seems like they might have blown their load too early...
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2007, 09:04:21 AM »

Good Morning!

...Wasn't it already "morning" a couple of hours ago?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2007, 09:05:05 AM »

DR Cason - Aw, Thank You.  So...

Could I take you to France?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2007, 09:06:15 AM »

DR Cason - Aw, Thank You.  So...

Could I take you to France?

;)

Ha ha ha!  I think you and MusicGuy are going to have to duke it out here...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2007, 09:06:55 AM »

Safe Travel Vibes to DR Cillaliz!

-Who should be arriving in the Big Apple in a few hours (hopefully).
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25   Go Up