Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: HOLY MOLEY ON RYE  (Read 53754 times)

FJL

Re:HOLY MOLEY ON RYE
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007, 07:06:05 AM »

And one for Moley

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2007, 07:12:13 AM »

My question for ASK BK day - in the scene in THE CREATURE WASN'T NICE, what are those two machines that Cindy is standing beside when she is screaming at your entrance (a nice Allison Hayes scream BTW)....are those actual computers?  The are very tall and have some nice lights, but they don't have the tape reels that I see on a lot of those machines when they are used in movies.

The moment that always makes me laugh out loud is Cooking With John when he starts up the blender!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

singdaw

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 07:34:32 AM »

Thanks, DR George, for the instructions on the temporary workaround for the forum time!  :)

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 07:37:53 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Blustery cold weather has returned to SW Ohio.  What happened to spring?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 07:41:02 AM »

I have the same question for New York. It's 40 degrees right now with light rain and it's not scheduled to get above 45 until after Sunday!!!

Michael

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 07:43:31 AM »

Back in Florida after a long travel and catch up day. Montreal was very nice and the weather wasn't too cold for me.

Now I have to catch up on a few days of postings.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2007, 08:18:44 AM »

All the clocks on the second floor are still an hour behind so I slept late. Good morning, all!

Today, JoAnn and I have estate calls to make, perhaps even a stop out to dad's house and check out the scene.  My full day in Oxford, Ohio, tomorrow has been confirmed, and I am looking forward to it.

DR JRand56, re Sanjaya and my comments: Paula(?) kept screaming at him "you are an entertainer" and she could have equally called him a brain surgeon, an accountant, since he is none of them.  Liberace was, to my ears, a facile pianist, but not a great musician, covering the fact with extra glitz and boas; I can see Sanjaya's secondrate performances going the same Vegas route for a lot of bluehaired ladies who mother sexually ambiguous men.

What I found interesting last night were that the singer of "Mack the Knife" may know Bobby Darin's version but I doubt he knows the original melody Darin was riffing on, not a single chord in Lakisha's "Blues In the Night" sounded to me like any of the ones Arlen actually wrote, and I hate the way the songs get truncated to fit their time spots: Melinda's verse was missing bars but I thought she was the best thing all evening with Jordin coming in second.  I found it interesting that Simon thought she was "cabaret-y" and I thought the singer of "Smile" was more so.  I'd like/forgive Chris more for his transgressions against the Great American Songbook if his performance didn't smack to me of "Aren't I just too cute for words?"      
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:34:02 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2007, 08:23:10 AM »

And what does "cabaret-y" mean exactly?  Same with "taking a standard and making it your own"?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2007, 08:30:41 AM »

Good morning!

It's going to be a gorgeous day here, and the temperatures are slowly heading downward, too, so that makes it doubly nice. Supposed to get into the 30s during the night! Wow! That's quite a drop!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2007, 08:34:58 AM »

LaKisha sang "Stormy Weather" rather than "Blues in the Night," but I agree completely, DR Elmore.

Not one word from any of the judges about that huge sustained last note from Jordin with "On a Clear Day." I thought some of her breathing was problemmatic throughout the song, but that last note was something.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2007, 08:36:21 AM »

Lots of new TV episodes on tonight for me: BONES, CROSSING JORDAN, MEDIUM, and LOST in addition to the IDOL results show which will be recorded.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2007, 08:37:24 AM »

THanks for the theater reviews, DR Ben. How I wish I could see some of these things throughout the year. You NYC theater fans are so very lucky. Can't wait to read your thoughts on other upcoming shows.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:37:40 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2007, 08:38:56 AM »

Today I'll get to last night's BOSTON LEGAL, the two L&O shows, and finish THUNDERBALL which still has about 25 minutes to go. (That way too long underwater fight scene is coming; my least favorite sequence in the movie.)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2007, 08:41:37 AM »

LaKisha sang "Stormy Weather" rather than "Blues in the Night," but I agree completely, DR Elmore.

Not one word from any of the judges about that huge sustained last note from Jordin with "On a Clear Day." I thought some of her breathing was problemmatic throughout the song, but that last note was something.

You're right! She did.  I just kept listening and thinking "what are those chords?"  I love both Arlen songs and the chords are unique to both..

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2007, 08:47:52 AM »

Thanks, Singdaw. I just hope they don't find problems when they tear into the walls and go into the attic.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2007, 08:52:28 AM »

Don't go in the attic!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaļs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2007, 09:00:53 AM »

I see that the big second set of Doris Day films is coming out next week. Can't wait to get those! Some of my favorites are in that set. I'm assuming that LUCKY ME will be an anamorphic transfer since it's the only Cinemascope film in the set.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2007, 09:01:38 AM »

All the clocks on the second floor are still an hour behind so I slept late. Good morning, all!

Today, JoAnn and I have estate calls to make, perhaps even a stop out to dad's house and check out the scene.  My full day in Oxford, Ohio, tomorrow has been confirmed, and I am looking forward to it.

DR JRand56, re Sanjaya and my comments: Paula(?) kept screaming at him "you are an entertainer" and she could have equally called him a brain surgeon, an accountant, since he is none of them.  Liberace was, to my ears, a facile pianist, but not a great musician, covering the fact with extra glitz and boas; I can see Sanjaya's secondrate performances going the same Vegas route for a lot of bluehaired ladies who mother sexually ambiguous men.

What I found interesting last night were that the singer of "Mack the Knife" may know Bobby Darin's version but I doubt he knows the original melody Darin was riffing on, not a single chord in Lakisha's "Blues In the Night" sounded to me like any of the ones Arlen actually wrote, and I hate the way the songs get truncated to fit their time spots: Melinda's verse was missing bars but I thought she was the best thing all evening with Jordin coming in second.  I found it interesting that Simon thought she was "cabaret-y" and I thought the singer of "Smile" was more so.  I'd like/forgive Chris more for his transgressions against the Great American Songbook if his performance didn't smack to me of "Aren't I just too cute for words?"      

LOL....well I didn't watch the show, but I will defer to your assessment.  ;D

Sort of reminds me of what they did to the theme from "The Adventures of Superman" in HOLLYWOODLAND.

We had four bars....skip eight....four bars....skip four....skip eight bars....last four bars....  It was scary!!!   8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2007, 09:04:23 AM »

Listen to the first track here....seems like they took the end title from the first season....or some of it....

http://www.amazon.com/Hollywoodland-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B000H30B4A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/102-4635991-9296953?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1175698000&sr=8-4

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2007, 09:05:49 AM »

Kind of what they did to the story, I guess.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2007, 09:29:38 AM »

I agree with virtually all you say here.  I voted for Melinda about 50 times, and threw a few votes at Chris (my second favorite of the night), Jordin and Gina.

What you say about Chris...I can see what you're referring to.  The only thing you don't take into account is that he -- like YOU -- simply cannot help himself:  He IS too cute for words...and he's just being himself!

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2007, 09:31:17 AM »

You can vote more than once?   :o

Obviously, I don't follow the show.   :P

Cillaliz

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2007, 09:32:40 AM »

Good morning all.  Thanks for the compliments on my article.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2007, 09:33:01 AM »

You're right! She did.  I just kept listening and thinking "what are those chords?"  I love both Arlen songs and the chords are unique to both..

I expected one of the "judges" -- at least Simon, fergoshsakes -- to tell Lakisha she should have taken Bennett's advice about ending the song on that last note.

Her song ended badly, IMO.  I was totally unimpressed.

And Paula telling her she has never looked more beautiful....well, it put me in mind of someone staring at an overstuffed sausage and saying the same thing.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2007, 09:34:13 AM »

You can vote more than once?   :o

Obviously, I don't follow the show.   :P

There are internet downloads that allow you to set up continual voting for the entire two-hour voting blocks.

That's what I think many of Sanjaya's fans do....they post thousands of votes APIECE using such software.

I text-message my votes while I'm watching "House".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:34:44 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Cillaliz

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2007, 09:36:33 AM »

I watched Boston Legal last night. I think it's one of the first times I've watched an entire episode and it was quite serious.  

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2007, 09:38:43 AM »

Yep - saponaceous and dasypygal, that's me!!     ;)

Well, if one is dasypygal they need some saponaceous in their life!

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2007, 09:38:50 AM »

According to DialIdol, it's almost too close to call tonight with all of the contestants, apart from Melinda, in potential jeopardy. Should make for an interesting bottom two.

I still think it's Gina's night to go home, though, of course, Sanjaya DESRVES to be be gone, but I think he'll be there a few more weeks.

Cillaliz

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2007, 09:39:49 AM »

I couldn't find a definition for "Moley" But I did find this definition for "Moly"

mo·ly1 Pronunciation[moh-lee]
–noun, plural -lies. Classical Mythology. an herb given to Odysseus by Hermes to counteract the spells of Circe.  

And if you aren't up on your Greek Mythology...

Cir·ce       (sūr'sē)  n.   Greek Mythology
A goddess who turned Odysseus's men temporarily into swine but later gave him directions for their journey home.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2007, 09:40:34 AM »

I guess I'll head down now and clean the den early today to have that out of the way. Then it'll be time to start fixing lunch.

WBBL.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up