Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WHIRLWIND  (Read 44278 times)

FJL

Re:WHIRLWIND
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2007, 07:29:07 AM »

Yuckilicious - is that a word?

If not, it should be.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2007, 07:31:47 AM »

In the world of Benjamin Kritzer I'm sure it is a word.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2007, 07:33:14 AM »

It was peanut butter cup ICE CREAM and Diet Coke.  Peanut butter and diet coke would of course be yucky.

There must be something to that. I had a friend in college, a local legend as a record collector, who would always order a peanut butter (ice cream) and Budwine (local soft drink similar to a cherry cola) whenever he would go to The Varsity.

I bet Rodzinski remembers The Varsity!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2007, 07:33:43 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  No day off for me, either, and I may be called upon to do some emergency information-waitressing.

TOD -

CD(car) - Liz Callaway The Beat Goes On

DVD - Happy Feet, Easter Parade
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2007, 07:35:25 AM »

I bet Rodzinski remembers The Varsity!

EVERYBODY DO THE VARSITY DRAG!

Edisaurus

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2007, 07:35:46 AM »

We've added still more theatres! Any of you Ohio DR's near Columbus? I am thinking this might be a solo screening...

Seattle, WA.. Grand Illusion Cinema… May 11 – 17, 2007
Chicago, IL… Facets Cinematheque… May 18 – 24, 2007
Albuquerque, NM…Guild Cinema… May 21 – 25, 2007
Columbus, OH… Wexner Center for the Arts… June 26, 2007
Haledon, NJ… American Labor Museum… October 19, 2007
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »

EVERYBODY DO THE VARSITY DRAG!

Has anyone ever done the Varsity Drag...in drag?

Edisaurus

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2007, 07:37:52 AM »

Yuckilicious - is that a word?

If not, it should be.

I am adding it to my vocabulary!

singdaw

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2007, 07:38:07 AM »

Nope.  I have to work, too.  Though since many OTHER people are off, it may be quiet.

TOD:

In my car CD:  The Brain...still!  I love it.  Very catchy.
In my home CD:  The Last Starfighter...still!  I am enjoying it very much, and hear new things each time I play it.
In my DVD: nothing.  Too many concerts and rehearsals this week!

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2007, 07:41:17 AM »

We've added still more theatres! Any of you Ohio DR's near Columbus? I am thinking this might be a solo screening...
Columbus, OH… Wexner Center for the Arts… June 26, 2007

Oh, darn!  I am close enough to Columbus, but will be in Washington, DC, June 23-28 for a conference (followed by NYC, June 28-July 2).

Congratulations, though, on all those bookings and on your review in the LA Times.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2007, 07:44:51 AM »

n my car CD:  The Brain...still!  I love it.  Very catchy.
In my home CD:  The Last Starfighter...still!  I am enjoying it very much, and hear new things each time I play it.

I love both those CD's and the songs really stick in your head!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2007, 07:46:47 AM »

Good morning, all!  I had a wonderful day at my alma mater, Miami University, yesterday and it will take me another day to catch up on all that I missed yesterday on HHW.

I had a lovely lunch with the theatre dept. chair, some faculty, and students, then I spent a lovely afternoon at the Music Library catching up on books I'd missed, researching some music for a piece I want to write for my dad, and looking at the new Crtitical Edition of Verdi's LA TRAVIATA.

After that, I attended the opening performance of the joint opera-theatre production of CANDIDE, in its 1973 version.  The performance was yet yet ready for the public, more a final dress rehearsal.  I think by tomorrow's performance it will be in good shape, but there were glitches in sound, some poor notes from the band, and the musical director screwed upsome of the timing with slow cues.  

On the plus side, good performances from Candide and Cunegonde, the Old Lady, and several others.  The young man playing Voltaire was a singer who needed help finding his broad side (my friend Lewis Stadlen never had this problem!), and I liked his Wise Old Man the best.  Also, the design is clever, and there were some good things that will only get better during the run.

TOD: Nothing to report.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2007, 07:47:56 AM »

Has anyone ever done the Varsity Drag...in drag?

If you break a heel, you could die.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »

DR Elmore - I'm so glad you had such a nice day in Oxford yesterday and that you were pleased with Candide.  The last musical DH Richard and I saw there left a lot to be desired, but it was a long time ago and personnel has probably changed.

I'm on my own for dinner tonight...

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2007, 07:58:59 AM »

No walk-in music?  We even have walk-in music at the Putnam County Playhouse in Greencastle, Indiana.

And I use walk-in music (although I didn't know it was called that) for my presentations here at the library.

singdaw

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2007, 08:01:34 AM »

And I use walk-in music (although I didn't know it was called that) for my presentations here at the library.

We're in the Money?
Money, Money, Money?
Pennies from Heaven?
 ;)

singdaw

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2007, 08:02:38 AM »

Way to go, DR elmore3003!  I imagine interaction with the students can be energizing.

singdaw

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2007, 08:04:27 AM »

DR FJL, yuckilicious is a great word.  However, it will not enter DR JoseSPiano's vocabulary, as there appears to be no food yet known in the civilized world that he does not relish.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2007, 08:09:20 AM »

We're in the Money?
Money, Money, Money?
Pennies from Heaven?
 ;)

;D

Ben

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2007, 08:10:07 AM »

Including, probably, relish!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2007, 08:25:21 AM »

TOD:

iPod:  Carly Simon's Greatest Hits

Tivo:  RAFTER ROMANCE and DOUBLE HARNESS, two of the rediscovered films that premiered Wednesday night on TCM.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2007, 08:26:42 AM »

Greetings from the Telephone Reference Center, where I get to spend an hour this morning  :D.  Later this afternoon, I have to spend an hour at the Computer Services Desk  :P.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2007, 08:29:45 AM »

Good morning!

Partly cloudy and much cooler here today. I had to drag out the sweat pants instead of shorts to do my workout in this morning. I turned my heat off weeks ago, but may have to give in and turn it back on depending on how high it gets in the next day or two.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2007, 08:30:59 AM »

In the world of Benjamin Kritzer I'm sure it is a word.

But only if you say it backwards

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2007, 08:33:18 AM »

DR George, if you didn't know that UGLY BETTY and GREY'S ANATOMY were going to be reruns, it wasn't due to my lack of trying. I posted that information yesterday morning. I've been trying to do this regularly since we're in the period right now where programs occasionally insert a new episode amid mostly reruns.

This week, I've found some thing new every night to watch though my DVR has been given mostly a break the last few weeks since sweeps month ended.

For news of tonight's slate of shows, see next post!

Cillaliz

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2007, 08:33:28 AM »

Hmmm maybe I should see if I can use walk in music for a closing argument  ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2007, 08:34:53 AM »

I'm just discovering Grey's Anatomy, so it wasn't a re-run for me. It was nice to see Debra Monk, even though her part was very small

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2007, 08:35:23 AM »

The NBC and CBS slates are ALL NEW episodes tonight, so that means new episodes of GHOST WHISPERER, CLOSE TO HOME, NUMBERS, RAINES, and LAW & ORDER. (The new game show IDENTITY is also a new episode but I don't remember anyone here saying they watch it.)

ABC's shows for the first two hours are reruns. I assume 20/20 is new.

Fox has a HOUSE rerun and a new WEDDING BELLS (is this the last episode they're going to show?) on the schedule.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2007, 08:37:57 AM »

I'm just discovering Grey's Anatomy, so it wasn't a re-run for me. It was nice to see Debra Monk, even though her part was very small

If you haven't rented the first two seasons on DVD, you really should. There's a lot of interesting and wonderful backstory to catch up with.

Next week's GREY'S is a clip show of highlights from the show's three seasons on the air. Don't know if you'll want to watch it if you want to see the shows in their complete form. I'm sure that show will give away a lot of the high spots.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2007, 08:41:39 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - Deanna Durbin: Original Film Soundtracks

DVD - THE SUN ALSO RISES
          THE WILD WILD WEST, Season 2, disc 3
          BRUTE FORCE (Criterion)
          THE FORMULA

DVR - last night's ANDY BARKER, P.I.
          LAYER CAKE
          SHORT CUTS
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up