Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: PINS AND NEEDLES  (Read 31966 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:PINS AND NEEDLES
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2004, 12:07:09 PM »

I concur with Dear Reader LC's take on the Peter Pan now in theatres.  It is interesting in its difference from previous versions by way of the more central role that Wendy plays.  It's not an unpleasant way to spend a couple of hours in a movie theatre.

On the whole, the Disney animated version is superior, IMHO.  And though it's been decades since I saw it on TV, I still have some very strong (and positive) recollections of the musical version of Peter Pan that starred Miss Mary Martin.  Cyril Ritchard's performance as Captain Hook was priceless.

By the way, and strictly for the record, I do believe in fairies.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

steveg

« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2004, 12:17:15 PM »

In my earlier post today I forgot to mention that I also have a collection of show window cards.  In our guest powder room, I have a framed large Follies poster as well as a framed Funny Girl window card on permanent exhibition.  On a different wall I have six other framed window cards from current shows, which I keep changing as shows come and go, or just get old.  Currently, we have Lion King, Aida, Millie, Producers, and Mamma Mia, but I want to replace a couple (Millie and Aida) with Wicked and Boy From Oz.  Having done this for a number of years, I have a large collection of  window cards.

For my daugher's Bat Mitzvah, some 16+ years ago, the theme for the reception was Allison on Broadway.  I made a large ticket booth that was framed with about 20 of such window cards, where the guests were given "tickets" that indicated a current show name.  Each table had a Playbill of one of those shows so the guests matched their ticket with the Playbill on the table, rather than looking for a table number.  Each center piece incorporated flowers in an upside down top-hat, with a cane coming out, as well as a photo of my daughter pasted onto a silver star.  The lobby of the catering facility was also decorated with about 15 5-foot tall standup cut-outs of blown-up Hirschfelds of Broadway legends such as Verdun, Martin, Merman, Mostel, Preston, Davis, Vereen, Grey, Andrews/Harrision, Brynner, etc., etc., an so forth.  The kids dais had large 5-foot color logos of famous female logos (Mame, Hirschfeld Channing logo (used on BK's revival CD), Verdun photo from Charity, Funny Girl upside down roller skating logo, and Annie).  A big marquee hung over the kids table saying Allison on Broadway.  I also had a big white plexiglass sheet made to look like a Playbill, which was used as a guest sign-in board.  We also had dressed my daugher up in a Chorus Line costume about six weeks before her Bat Mitzvah and took a number of photos of her outside the Shubert Theatre, then playing A Chorus Line.  Those photos were blown up into posters and also on display.  Each kid got a tee-shirt, which I had printed with the Playbill logo on them, which were individually personalized saying their name "on Broadway".  In any event, a large collection of all these Hirschfeld cutouts remain in my basement together with the stuff we did three years later for our son's Bar Mitzvah, the theme of which was comic book superheros and comic strips.  My wife won't let me throw any of the stuff out, since it took us so much time and effort to make.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2004, 12:21:38 PM »

steveg we need to see pictures of that party!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2004, 12:22:48 PM »

I am #6! Hooray :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2004, 12:24:46 PM »

steveg what wonderful clever ideas for the party.  My older son would have loved the comic book theme.  We just went with Bart Simpson shirts.  We surprised our younger son with a popular radio personality, a DJ the kids all listened to.  Neither was as creative as yours.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2004, 12:25:21 PM »

I have a window card from La Strada (the musical) as well as a program.  I have a program from Smile, too, and an original window card (with the fired actors) from Merrily We Roll Along.  Harvey S. has given me signed scores for his shows, and also lots and lots of his drawings.  Plus I have the original art used for the 100 In the Shade poster.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2004, 12:26:26 PM »

I'm going to grab some lunch and I hope lunch doesn't get upset about being grabbed.  Let's make it to a fren by my return.  We're doing amazingly well on this fine day.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2004, 12:32:29 PM »

DR steveg, what a thoughtful, elaborate party setup!  Sounds like a wonderful time.

DR Jay, did the audience in your theatre start chanting, "I do believe in fairies?  I do!  I do!"?  Mine had quite the yelling and stomping going on.

If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2004, 12:33:27 PM »

Please forgive the vanity post.  100!!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2004, 12:33:46 PM »

Argh.. 101! :)

td

• td
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2004, 12:35:41 PM »

td you were such a cute little tyke and congratulations on getting the role. :)

Maybe I should use THAT picture for my head shot. . .hmmmm. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2004, 12:37:21 PM »

Congratulationd, td!  I want details..... where.... when..... etc (oh, especially etc.)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2004, 12:37:54 PM »

I just tried to post and got this message:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/haineshisway/community/index.php on line 58
Too many connections

I will repost.

Ben

« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2004, 12:37:55 PM »

Miss Jennifer, isn't it unseemly to gloat???   ;)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2004, 12:40:42 PM »

It's my lunch time.  But here I sit.  I'm at one with my PC and my PC is at one with me.

What the frell am I talking about?

Loads of paperwork all over my work space.  Sadly, it all makes sense to me even though I wish it didn't.

I'm feeling funky.  Oh, yes!  Funky.  Still achy.  Still cranky.  And now funky.  But I'll deal.

I don't do needy.  Cannot abide needy.  

I have some photos of my younger days....which, if I can remember to bring with me to scan, I will treat you all to in the coming days.  You won't believe your eyes!

You'll say, "Even THEN?!!!"  :)

LOLTM  (that's "lauging out loud to myself" in internet lingo).

MBarnum

« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2004, 12:43:17 PM »

A big congrats to DR TD in his new role!!  :D

Well, I slogged my way into work...actually the drive wasn't too bad...lost of snow in Salem, but it was nice and powdery and not too slick. State offices opened at 10am as promised (darn it), but it was nice to be able to go back to bed for another hour or so and lounge around watching the Portland newscasters on TV declare a national emergency as soon as the first snowflake fell! LOL!

Jennifer

« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2004, 12:45:34 PM »

Miss Jennifer, isn't it unseemly to gloat???   ;)

Well you didn't comment when #1 or #3 posted their stats :)

For some reason I am still down. I do not feel like doing anything I have to do.

The other day I happened to catch a minute of Dr. Phil. And he was talking to a woman who used shopping to make herself feel better.  Hmmmm, I wonder if that would work for me. There are two italian charms on ebay I would love :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2004, 12:48:34 PM »

Congratulations on the role, TD!

Hooray for another paid day off from work, George!

I've been watching some of the non-stop Seattle news coverage of the snow.  I know there are some real traffic messes, but I do have to chuckle some when they do non-stop coverage for the 2-1/2" (of snow, people!) in Seattle. :)  Over on my side of the Cascades, it's been snowing lightly for about 3 hours now, but only about 1/2" (of snow, people!) so far.  Supposed to get 6-8" (of snow, people!) later in the day.

I did go get some yummilicious pancakes this morning, and they were, well, yummilicious. :D

Well, I am just glad you got some, Jed (snow, people!).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 01:19:16 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2004, 12:49:08 PM »

Please forgive the vanity post.  100!!

Oh, yeah! You're So Vain!

;D

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2004, 12:49:21 PM »

I love chocolate chip pancakes with chocolate sauce. (We are still talking about pancakes, aren't we?)
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2004, 12:49:59 PM »

Well, I am just glad you got some, Jed (snow people!).

Snow people, real people. What's the diff?  Getting some is GETTING SOME!

;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 12:52:23 PM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2004, 12:53:39 PM »

Jennifer, shopping on Ebay ALWAYS makes me feel better! Ha!

But seriously, if you are continuing to feel blue you really should see your doctor, it is terrible to be down in the dumps for too long of a period of time! He can make it so that it is easier to deal with what is upsetting you.

Ben

« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2004, 12:53:53 PM »

But Jennifer, you and I have a special relationship. We were once vying for the same thing. You were able, through subterfuge and a posting frenzy, to beat me (yeah, yeah, yeah, I was gone for a month, so what). That relationship gives me special priviliges to comment on you when I wouldn't comment on others. Besides, I can't dis BK, it's his board and it's TD's special day (he was cast in a show for cryin' out loud). So you are the logical target  ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2004, 01:03:43 PM »

DR Ben: I noticed your use of the modify button! It was more of a snooze than a sleep.
Re: Peter Pan. Love the Disney, "Hook" had moments. (but way too long), the Mary Martin looks oh so dated and the dance segments are dreadful, the Cathy Rigby version is wonderful. (My favourite verion - yes I have mentioned it before - was the Maggie Smith version in London, Christmas1973).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2004, 01:04:44 PM »

I just noticed that I, BK, have supplanted Tom of Oz as the highest poster here at haineshisway.com.  Yes, Virginia, I am the highest of all because Tom of Oz has been SLACKING, do you hear me?  

No, Dear BK, you are the highest because you perch upon pins and needles.

derBrucer (subbing for Virgina)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2004, 01:06:54 PM »

Sympathetic Magic Lanford Wilson

Drama
Full Length

Cast: 5 men, 3 women: 8 total
Setting: UNIT SET

THE STORY: Liz Barnard is an anthropologist studying West Coast gangs for behavior similar to African tribes. Her son, Don, is a homosexual Episcopal minister whose parishioners are poor and many sick with AIDS. Liz’s daughter, Barbara, is a gifted sculptress whose current breakthrough show launches a stellar career. Barbara lives with Ian, a brilliant young astronomer and popular university professor who, along with his colorful colleague Mickey, stumbles upon a spectacular discovery at the edge of the galaxy. They want to study the find further, but the chairman of their department, Carl Conklin White, a by-the-book administrator, snatches up this startling find before all the facts are in. Along with this discovery, Ian and Barbara find that despite all precautions, Barbara is pregnant. Having agreed to no children, Barbara prepares for an abortion, but Ian wants to hold off as he has new thoughts about children and carrying on the human race. The mysteries of the universe and of human and artistic creation begin to mix for Ian and his friends. But when Barbara has the abortion, Ian becomes a person he never expected, and in front of friends and family, he attacks Barbara. His actions change everyone around him, mirroring the change in life when discovery leads the way.

Umm, td, so are you Tally?
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2004, 01:08:50 PM »

I can't believe it, but I went to Quizno's again and had the same exact thing I had yesterday, which I will now eat whilst perusing your pertinent posts.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2004, 01:12:23 PM »

BK---
... why aren't the guests registered?

Maybe 'cause their kind is not sanctioned by the AKC.

der Brucer (AKC registred prue-breed scoundrel)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2004, 01:18:32 PM »

Subbing for WHAT????
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2004, 01:20:56 PM »

DR Jay, did the audience in your theatre start chanting, "I do believe in fairies?  I do!  I do!"?  Mine had quite the yelling and stomping going on.

No, I'm afraid not.  Sounds like your experience was a lot of fun, though!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up