Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: PINS AND NEEDLES  (Read 31593 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PINS AND NEEDLES
« on: January 06, 2004, 12:02:35 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, so by gum and by golly it's time to post, so let's do so, shall we?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 12:03:04 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PINS AND NEEDLES
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 12:04:59 AM »

Come one, come all, I'm on pins and needles awaiting a posting frenzy.

Laura II

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 12:05:02 AM »

Maaaaaark! HI! Ok, now it's time to read the notes. Sorry, bk! :)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Laura II

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 12:09:25 AM »

Ok, read the notes. My most prized theatre possessions are my out-of-print Annie: A Theatre Memoir book, my Madame Alexander Annie doll (I actually did a five minute French show and tell presentation on it), my signed poster from TMM, the note Gavin Creel sent me, pictures with Sutton and Gavin, and my autographed Andrea McArdle cd. I suppose I can explain my reasons later. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 12:09:41 AM »

Read them notes and then post them posts.  The notes are short today.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 12:13:56 AM »

Weird. I can't get the new notes through Netscape. Got them through my Favorites on AOL, but this print is so TINY, I'll go blind.

Jed

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 12:15:12 AM »

I don't really have much in the way of theatrical memorabilia.  Oh sure, I have some programs from over the years (not as many as I should have kept, but I'm trying to get better about that), but that's about it.  I'm just not a collecting type.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 12:16:44 AM »

I shall search the archives. I think most of today's posts will be of the pictures variety.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 12:18:18 AM »

Well, Jed, it's time for you to join the rest of us and BECOME a collector type.  That way, you can spend all your money on eBay like many others here and you will become obsessive and crazed and be all the better for it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 12:19:27 AM »

And, of course, if you have the occasional photo of something dear to you, post it, let's just not overdo the photos or Mr. Mark Bakalor will bitch-slap us from here to eternity.

Jed

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 12:20:15 AM »

Ha!  Now there's a sales pitch!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 12:20:49 AM »

Well, Jed, it's time for you to join the rest of us and BECOME a collector type.  That way, you can spend all your money on eBay like many others here and you will become obsessive and crazed and be all the better for it.

Well, obsessive and crazed, at least. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 12:21:05 AM »

I think I'm going to bed. Although I already had my sleep for the night by accidentally falling asleep at around 8. Now I'm wide awake. Maybe I should just have breakfast and get an early start on the day. This afternoon I'll visit a musician friend who's nominated for a Grammy. He's very British and I'm sure I'll get some fine tea and biscuits. I've been trying to lobby for him and may have managed to get him a couple of votes. Everything is politics.

Laura II

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 12:22:13 AM »

Ooh speaking of ebay, I won/bought a script from the 1995 workshop of Millie. Very different from the show we're familiar with now. I also bid on another Millie script (the rehearsal one), but on the night the auction ended, I went out to dinner with friends. I called to give my brother a limit, and being a sweet little brother, he didn't want to exceed my limit. The person beat me by a dollar, and I was NOT happy.

Jed

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 12:24:35 AM »

I think I shall be headed for bed, as well.  If I don't get a call for work in the morning, I think I may go get some pancakes.  Pity I can't get DuPar's up here!  Heck, can't even get IHOP in this town.  But, I know a couple places that are supposed to be swell for breakfast, so I do have options.

Panni

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2004, 12:24:36 AM »

Just tried Netscape again and got yesterday's Notes. I don't get it. Very Twilight Zone-ish. A parallel universe a day behind us.

Panni

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2004, 12:26:45 AM »

Goodnight, all. I'm going to try bed.

Laura II

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2004, 12:27:52 AM »

Goodnight Panni and Jed! I too must go! Sweet dreams to all!

Jed

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2004, 12:28:40 AM »

Panni - Your Netscape is just on Hawaiian time with DR Ann! :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2004, 12:42:40 AM »

Well, goodnight all.  Nice day, nice chat...hopefully in the morning I'll get a call saying that I don't have to go to work.  I'm not holding my breath, though.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2004, 01:28:52 AM »

Possibly my favourite. A reminder of a wonderful year in London 1973.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 01:30:30 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2004, 01:33:45 AM »

Other favourites from my London years are "The Good Old Bad Old Days". "I Do I Do" (with Rock Hudson 1976)  and who could forget Mr Richard Gere in "Grease" (1973)

James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2004, 02:45:59 AM »

What a lot of lovely posts last night!  ;D

I am sorry we bored DRRon in chat, but for a bit we were trying something out.  It just took us a couple of minutes and then we were on to other things.....but then he was gone.  :(

I don't have time to scan this early - later today no doubt.  Hmmmmmm......my Playbills from WILDCAT and COMING ON STRONG....the latter autographed by Miss Carroll Baker and Mr Van Johnson.  My souvenir book from GYPSY with Miss Giselle MacKenzie  :'(  and some others I will find when I start scanning!

What a great subject.  ;D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2004, 04:00:43 AM »

My autographed playbill of Around the World in 80 Days the failed Orsen Welles/Cole Porter musical. Welles didn't sign it but Porter did and no I was not around when the musical premeried. The opening night playbill for Carrie: The Musical and no I did not see a friend of mine who passed gave it to me a few months before. I have other programs, cds autographed but they are not as important to me  as they once were. They are nice to have, but there are a lot more things in life that are more important.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2004, 04:55:32 AM »

For DRtd:

Good good good good vibrations
(Oom bop bop)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 05:01:14 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ben

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2004, 05:24:27 AM »

Well, I feel as if I'm slowly getting back into the groove. I finished yesterday's notes, something I haven't done in weeks, and I'm caught up with today's notes so far.

My autographed Elaine Stritch At Liberty Playbill, along with a copy of the sheet music for Civilization (Bongo, Bongo, Bongo I Don't Want to Leave the Congo). Also, my autographed Playbill for Sweeney, signed by Mr. Cariou and Ms. Lansbury. We (Ant and I) have an original program from Jumbo (the Rodgers and Hart show) which we came across in a box of "junk" stored away in a room at the Equity office last year. We asked before we took and were told we could abscond with the goods. I'll have to look at home later since I'm at the office right now and nothing else pops to mind.

I'm happy to report that AccuRadio seems to be working (I've probably jinxed it and the next time I try it won't work). For the longest time all I could get was Swingin' Pop Standards which isn't bad but I couldn't for the life of me get the Broadway channel to work. I guess going away for a month (it also looks like they redesigned the site) has enabled me to listen to the Broadway channel. Hoo and Ray (different from WEL and Ray).

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2004, 05:27:42 AM »

Like DR Panni, I went on a cleanup and throwout campaign and got rid of lots of theatre memorabilia. Among those treasures was an autographed playbill from The Diary of Anne Frank. Still, even without the playbill, I remember the impact that the show had, and the experience of waiting at the stage door as the cast members walked out one by one. I also chatted briefly with Shelley Winters, who reassured me that the the mink she wore in the play (a key scene: all of Mrs. Van Dann's hostility and frustration surfaced when Anne accidentally spilled milk on it) was a piece of junk.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 05:30:57 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2004, 06:17:58 AM »

DR Ben - what were you going through junk in the Equity office?   ::)

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Vibes to TD!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 06:18:53 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

steveg

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2004, 06:23:30 AM »

I have the Playbills from every show I saw from "Pipe Dream" in 1956 through "Golda's Balcony" from last Friday.  In my youth, I got many autographed.  In 1957 or so, when I was really young, I remember getting Edie Adams, Peter Palmer and Charlotte Rae to sign my "Li'l Abner" Playbill.  I also used to cut the Hirschfeld drawings out of the NY Times and attempted to also get those autographed.  Some of those that I have include the Lansbury-signed "Mame" and the Merman-signed "Annie Get Your Gun" (revival).  I have the OBC LPs of every B'way musical from the year of the flood.  In the Hirschfeld arena, I also have signed limited edition etchings of his Mostel Tevya, and BS's TV "Belle of 14th Street".  I also have the original Hirschfeld pen and ink drawing that ran in the NY Times of BS and RR from "The Way We Were", which was also autographed by BS.  One of these days I'll make it my business to try to get RR to also sign it.

We have a collection of Norman Rockwell signed limited edition lithographs, two of which are theatre-related:  "The Charwomen" shows two cleaning ladies sitting in the theatre looking at a Playbill.  The Playbill is for "Carousel" (the original production), but the title is somewhat obliterated, so unless you knew what it was, you wouldn't know it to be "Carousel."  The other theatre-related Rockwell lithograph is "The Gaiety Dance Team," a forelorn couple sitting back-to-back on a theatre trunk.

Tonight we see "The Producers" again.  Last Friday, on a lark, I logged into Telecharge and was able to get a pair of decent orchestra seats at regular price and decided that we should see it again.  I'm convinced that a lot of the seats that were being held for premium $480 and $240 per ticket sales will be made available at regular prices as they don't sell at the inflated prices.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2004, 06:23:48 AM »

Although I stopped saving programs and Playbills® when I simply ran out of room I did save the program from the Off-Broadway A CHORUS LINE.  This program was mimeographed on plain paper (no pictures) instead of being printed on a glossy stock and was stapled together.  It does contain all the bios and other information.  I never knew if they ran out of the higher quality programs or if these were used for the entire NYSF run of the show.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up