Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: PINS AND NEEDLES  (Read 31589 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:PINS AND NEEDLES
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2004, 08:29:48 AM »

How come when I search through boxes all I ever find are Martial Arts videos and Farm Journal magazines?[/size]

Because you are one sick puppy????

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2004, 08:30:58 AM »

I love collecting theatrical stuff. I really wish I had more.  I do save every playbill. And I try to save every ticket stub.  I like the autographed stuff the most.  I love my broadway snowglobe. I love my autographed "sign marquees" from AGYG and SIDE SHOW.  I actually love playbills even from shows I have not seen.

Robin

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2004, 08:34:09 AM »

<<What do Grant Williams and Richard Chamberlain have in common? >>

They were both co-starred in movies with James Gregory.  Richard Chamberlain starred with him in TWILIGHT OF HONOR, and Grant Williams starred with him in PT109.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2004, 08:36:39 AM »

That's a good one DR Robin - but not the one I am looking for.

LOL DR Ron....bow wow.

So Mr Mark Bakalor would bitch slap us?  Like we're a scared of him hahahahahahahahahaha!

Now - watch my Karma carefully.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2004, 08:42:38 AM »

So Mr Mark Bakalor would bitch slap us?  Like we're a scared of him hahahahahahahahahaha!

Now - watch my Karma carefully.

But you have so much. You are the king of it! :)

Btw, it must be at least -20C. Windchill is a very very bad thing. :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2004, 08:43:49 AM »

LOL...DR Jennifer brrrrrrrrrrrr....it is 8 degrees here.  Up all the way from 4 degrees this morning.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2004, 08:48:02 AM »

I put myself to bed at 9:30 p.m.   There was no use pretending I was alert or in any way capable of being cogent.

I was tired from my first day back at work.  There was lots to do, with a bunch of the little irritating things that bug me gratuitously thrown in for good measure...and on a Monday, too.

As for chat last night...well, my computer doesn't let me do anything with alt-anything in chat.  I'm glad others have the capability, but it wasn't in my stars.  The experiment -- which seemed to involve two or three folks, tops -- should not have kept the other five or six folks from talking, too, but maybe they were also experimenting.  It may have gone on a few minutes, but it seemed like forever as I was desperately trying to stimulate conversation.  It seemed I was talking to myself and my tired old brain wouldn't let me continue on.

But my evening go no better -- couldn't concentrate for beans on anything.  So sleep seemed to be the ticket.

Doesn't anyone other than I think it odd that so few guys show up in chat?  We had a day last week when we were all guys -- about 7 of us.  First time there have ever been that many of us in chat and the first time no lady has ever joined in the chat.  Man!  Did WE have something to talk about or WHAT????  :)

Last night, the norm returned with a few men and twice as many ladies.  While I was there, anyway.  And Jennifer joined at a time when it was mostly ladies, too.

Today is cold and dark.  Rain is forecast.  I slept many hours, but I don't feel rested or refreshed.  I feel achy and cranky!

Oh, well...........

Theatrical treasures:  Autographed Playbill with San Francisco cast of "Wicked"!  And an NYC Playbill signed by Menzel and Chenoweth!

A prop from Luhrmann's "La Boheme" -- an artist's palette signed by all three NYC casts (except the Russian soprano) on one side, and by all the production staff on the other side.

Original window cards for "A Little Night Music" and "Dream Girls"!  Original souvenir programs for "The Music Man," "She Loves Me" (including a gorgeous handbill with photos), and many others I cannot remember.  I went through a buying spree last fall that saw many such treasures arrive in bulk.  I've not catalogued or sorted through them.  I have tons of autographs and signed caricatures, photos -- Kaner and Ebb, Comden and Green, Styne, Sondheim, Herman, Loesser, Bock, et.al.   No big oldies, though...no Porter or Rodgers or Hammerstein or Coward or Berlin.

Has anyone out there seen the new "Peter Pan"?  I'd like to know what anyone thinks of it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2004, 08:51:25 AM »

Yes, DRRon - chat is a curious animal!  Hopefully your Tuesday is going better!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2004, 09:05:43 AM »

DR Ron, the consensus on PETER PAN suggests that it's well made and faithful to the story but lacking in certain fundamental issues like believable sets and interesting Lost Boys. Of course, I thought the Lost Boys in HOOK were so horrendous that I'm not sure I'd ever want to see another PAN that included them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2004, 09:17:18 AM »

I got the call from my supervisor that our building is closed AGAIN!  Yea! ;D I get to stay home (with pay!) again! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2004, 09:18:52 AM »

I think that call was meant for me, DRGeorge!

Emily

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2004, 09:19:03 AM »

just looked at the weather forcast for tomorrow:

the HIGH is going to be -17C (-2F)

brrrrr....
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

George

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2004, 09:20:04 AM »

As for treasured theatrical items, I have an autographed program of a concert that Bernadette Peters gave here in Olympia.  I got Betty Buckley's autograph and photograph after seeing Sunset Boulevard.

And I took this picture (and got her autograph and spoke with her for a few minutes) after seeing Kiss Me, Kate in London:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2004, 09:21:23 AM »

And I took this picture (and got his autograph and spoke with him for a few minutes) after seeing Kiss Me, Kate in London:

George

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2004, 09:22:07 AM »

And finally, I took this picture (and got her autograph and spoke with her also for a few minutes) after seeing Kiss Me, Kate in London:

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2004, 09:24:57 AM »

DR MattH:  After perusing yesterday's notes, I have to make this observation!

What's this about a NEW TV?

I KNEW about a NEW VCR, but I KNEW nothing about a NEW TV!

(If anyone has English as a second language, please note the usage of KNEW and NEW -- HOMOPHONES, dontchaknow!  Words that sound alike, but are spelled differently and mean different things)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 09:27:45 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2004, 09:25:42 AM »

Hey DR George: What did you do to poor Marin? :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2004, 09:28:07 AM »

Nice pictures!  Stage people look so "actor-y" after a show!  I think it's great.

Thanks for sharing, DRGeorge!

td

• td
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2004, 09:31:10 AM »

Well, I am no longer on PINS AND NEEDLES: I got the phone call this morning.
I am officially playing Carl, the astronomy professor, in Lanford Wilson's SYMPATHETIC MAGIC! ! ! ! !
I guess that the good vibes and the callback reading were the right combination!
Thanks, DRs! ! !

Theater memorabila which I am most excited to own:
PLAYBILL/SHOWBILLs from every Betty Buckley performance in NYC and environs, BUT, somehow or other lacking THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD ! ! !

Speaking of Betty, here we are at NYC's The Bottom Line during a Halloween gig with best friend Janet.

I'm not sure if this counts, but, I also have accumulated quite a few song sheets ("Everybody's Girl," "It's a Priveledge to Pee," "You'd be Surprised" and all of SIDE SHOW) in their primitive states. . .also quite a few Maury Yeston songs from TITANIC, some special material written for Davis Gaines. . .etc, etc.

Mostly I try to collect autographs on cd bookets. . .
and photos of me with celebs. . .I'd show you the picture of Douglas Sills and me, but, I don't want to be bitch-slapped by Mark. . .besides, I don't believe I've scanned it, yet. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »

Probably I should have said new TV shows on last night, DR Ron. That's what I meant. Sorry.

No, I love the TV I have now and hope to keep it a couple of more years before upgrading.

George

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2004, 09:35:25 AM »

Hey DR George: What did you do to poor Marin? :)

I didn't do anything (other than be a little close when I took the picture).
She took off all of her makeup. :)

And CONGRATULATIONS TD!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2004, 09:35:35 AM »

Congratulations, DR td, on getting the role! I know you'll be tremendous!  :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2004, 09:39:38 AM »

Congratulations td!  And thanks for sharing that picture.  Neat!

Have you ever read a Lanford Wilson one-act called EUKIAH?
And no one has guessed CORRECTLY on the Richard Chamberlain - Grant Williams question.  Hint: they both played the same part, but in different projects!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2004, 09:41:11 AM »

Lessee, theatrical memorabilia...

When it comes to playbills, there's the one from Into the Woods.  No, not the Broadway production, the one from the original production at the Old Globe in San Diego.  The song list is different, and it's got the insert with an updated song list ("No One is Alone" hadn't been written when the production began, but it was in place when der Brucer and I saw it.)

Der Brucer's the one with the big Playbill collection.  He's also got an amazing t-shirt collection, some of which are x-rated, but that's another story.

The most prized posession?  A t-shirt, again from something we saw.  Once again, it's Sondheim related.  And once again it's from the real thing, not the New York repeat.  It's from the Company reunion concert.  Not the one held in April of 1993 at the Lincoln Center, which was actually three performances.  This was a one-time only performance, and it was held in Long Beach, under the auspices of the Long Beach Civic Light Opera at the Terrace Theater, on Saturday, January 23, 1993, a full three months before the NYC carbon copies.

What had happened was that Barry Brown, who was running the LBCLO at the time, had been the lover of one of the backstage crew (I'm blanking on exactly who, sorry).  The lover had died of AIDS.  So had choreographer Michael Bennett.  So had the second Broadway Robert, Larry Kert.  Brown decided that a fitting tribute to his lover and Bennett and Kert would be to stage a reunion concert of Company, raising funds for AIDS charities and the LBCLO.  The top tix went for $500, which included a reception afterwards; next level down was $100, and there were balcony seats that went for $50.

Der Brucer, knowing me to be this total Sondheim nutcase, decided to get tickets.  Silly him, he thought he'd be able to get the top tier tix even after waiting a few days after the first ad appeared in the LA Times Calendar section.  He was lucky to get the $100 tix, they were selling hotter than hotcakes!  The night of the event, which was very black-tie, there were people outside, dressed in very elegant formalwear, begging to get in!

And yes, although it wasn't announced earlier, Mr. Sondheim, Mr. Prince, and Mr. Furth were all there, and shared in the final bows.  (Der Brucer was kicking himself for not getting those $500 tix!  I forgave him long ago.)

The t-shirt has a few interesting notes.  It reads "Starring the Original Broadway Cast," but this isn't exactly correct.  Merle Louise and Charles Braswell were unable to attend, and their parts were played by subsequent Broadway players Alice Cannon and Stanley Grover.  The musical staging, based on Bennett's original work, was by George Martin.  The concert was hosted by Angela Lansbury, and narrated by George Hearn.  (Only Hearn would be present for the NYC carbons.)

All of this is on the back of the shirt, which very much resembles the Company logo we all know and love...well, some don't love it, but I always have.

The front of the shirt carries a single line, four simple words in purple, right above the heart:

"Never Before...Never Again"

At the time, who knew?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 09:45:17 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2004, 09:53:02 AM »

Oh DR George: I knew you didn't do anything to her. But she is so beautiful. But that picture makes her look so old. She should keep some make-up on for pictures :)

Congrats td.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2004, 09:54:33 AM »

9:45 and ALL THESE HAINSIES/KIMLETS!  Wow.  I feel that soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet, that is what I feel.

Congrats TD.  Vibes from haineshiway.com most always do the trick.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2004, 10:08:27 AM »

Congratulations, Dear Reader td!  You'll be swell, I know!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2004, 10:16:53 AM »

I'm pretty much back to normal today.  Still a little tired, but otherwise the flubug seems to have left.  It was really strange starting to feel sick while watching a show.  Helen Gallagher is one of the wonders of the modern world:   a musical comedy cutie in the 40s and 50s to a mature musical star in the 60s and 70s (with 2 Tonys from those periods) and then on to a Soap Opera matriarch (with 3 Emmys) and now a serious stage actress.  She and co-star Nicholas Surovey were far better than the stereotyped script of HANDY DANDY deserved.  William Gibson's play about a women with 3 dvorces and two annulments who become a nun specializing in peace demonstrations and the judge who has to try her for tresspassing is anything but new --- you can guess where it is going within five minutes --- but these two really breathed life into it and made it worth seeing, even as the flu bug tok over my body during the two hours of the show.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2004, 10:19:34 AM »

Trivia question:  Who was Nicholas Surovy's mother?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Robin

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2004, 10:23:35 AM »

Let's see...

Richard Chamberlain and Grant Williams...

Did they both play competitive backgammon?  Perhaps they shared the same hairdresser?  The same inseam?  Used the same interior designer?  Perhaps they both played Tchaikovsky.  Or maybe they prefer the warmth of vinyl LPs to the cold, tinny sound of CDs.  

I just don't know...!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up