Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: PICKLED HERRING  (Read 79983 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:PICKLED HERRING
« Reply #270 on: May 09, 2007, 04:35:33 PM »

I'm glad you called it merely a channel, DR Ron Pulliam, and not a news station.  It is definitely NOT a news station.

It is, perhaps, a propaganda machine.    :-\

Actually, we have a Fox TV station and then there's the Fox News Nowhere, a separate entity unto itself.

The Fox TV station plays such interesting fare as "American Idol", "24" and "Bones."  And until recently, "The Wedding Bells", a delightful comedy nobody watched and which Fox sent to the devil.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #271 on: May 09, 2007, 04:43:09 PM »

I am disappointed to find that neither Brian D'arcy James nor Tom Wopat are on stage anywhere in NY during my trip to that city. How am I to get any kulture while I am there.

However, Kevin Spacey is in a play so that might be kind of fun to see.

Cillaliz

« Reply #272 on: May 09, 2007, 04:44:09 PM »

With all that talk about "the Beav" yesterday, wasn't sure if it had been mentioned that Jerry Mathers will be joining the cast of “Hairspray” on Broadway on June 5th.  Mr. Mathers will play  
Wilbur Turnblad for three months.  This will be the Beev’s Broadway debut.
'
Can he dance?

singdaw

« Reply #273 on: May 09, 2007, 04:45:29 PM »

Can he dance?

He won't dance...don't ask him!

;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #274 on: May 09, 2007, 04:49:03 PM »

Re: last night's DANCING WITH THE STARS results

I was not surprised with who left. It was the right choice (billy ray). But i was quite surprised with the 2nd team in the bottom 2. I was sure it would be ian and cheryl (yet they were declared safe first).I was really shocked that joey and kym were B2 (since all along i had thought they would win.

I am really happy my fav is doing well (apolo). I just love him and julianne. So cute.

I wasn't surprised at all with Joey in the bottom 2.  I just don't think he's that good compared to the others.  I want either Laila or Apollo to win it all. Don't care which, I like them both.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #275 on: May 09, 2007, 04:49:42 PM »

I am disappointed to find that neither Brian D'arcy James nor Tom Wopat are on stage anywhere in NY during my trip to that city. How am I to get any kulture while I am there.

However, Kevin Spacey is in a play so that might be kind of fun to see.

See "A Chorus Line".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #276 on: May 09, 2007, 04:52:19 PM »

I'm quite logey right now.

Cillaliz

« Reply #277 on: May 09, 2007, 04:56:06 PM »

I have no urge to promote full-fledged warfare amongst family. I simply want the slob to own up to the deal he made with my father so that I can settle the estate and see that he, my other brother and I receive the payments my dad promised.  He had his reasons for making me executor, the primary one to assure that Randy not get walked over by Macbeth.

Sounds like he was a wise man.  It may be driving you batty, but you're doing a good job at what he knew would need to be done.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #278 on: May 09, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »

Good morning dear Esteemed, rested, svelte, and sinewy BK --

I second the motion, as far as the suggestion of "Claritin-D" to help with your allergy problem.  I'm usually not bothered too much, but this has been a heavy pollen season here in Phoenix, and I've had to take a few Claritin myself.

How could any pollen, no matter how tough, survive in that Arizona heat?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #279 on: May 09, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »

Well, since 77 million people watch -- roughly one-quarter of the population -- it probably counts as a phenomenon that newsrooms feel ought to be commented upon.

I can guarantee you that 77 million people didn't give two hoots and a holler about the white-tie dinner at the White House for Queen Elizabeth II.

And newsrooms are after ratings, too.  "Idol" sells advertising which allows them to have workable budgets.

Or, look at it a different way:  Only a handful of us post about it -- 5-7  of us, tops, I think.  Multiply that by 15,000,000, throw in 10 internet hits per person (77 million, that is) and at least some discussion by each viewer at school or at work or anywhere else out in public...and you have a cultural phenomenon -- something that more people are watching and talking about than anything else.

Last week 135,000,000 votes were called-in...at a nominal charge per call.

I don't get it. I have no interest in AI

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #280 on: May 09, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »

finaly home and in the air conditioning. I stayed after class to watch a movie that our sociology teacher was showing called idiocracy. It was a little too extreme for my tastes.
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Cillaliz

« Reply #281 on: May 09, 2007, 05:03:38 PM »

How could any pollen, no matter how tough, survive in that Arizona heat?

But it's a dry heat   ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #282 on: May 09, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »

My laptop is still acting up. Chris, our computer guru from the main office in Des Moines is here and keeping me company while everyone is away.  She told me how to easily secure my wireless network, using the router program rather than the windows wireless network software and it was easy as pie.   It didn't solve my problem, but I'm not providing free internet for the whole neighborhood anymore

Cillaliz

« Reply #283 on: May 09, 2007, 05:06:29 PM »

I left the laptop alone.  Maybe it's downloading a big update, but I don't have it set to download without asking me, so I'm not sure what's up.  If it doesn't start working by tomorrow I'm going to take it in to the office tomorrow and see if Chris will look at it for me
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 05:06:50 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #284 on: May 09, 2007, 05:13:22 PM »

Oh, and she's such a great friend, she's drawing up a proposal for me for a file server and a network for my new office. She's going to try to find a good inexpensive way to do it so I can set it up myself. She went with me to the office today so she has a good idea of what is there and what we could work with.   What a great friend.  She says I may have to rewire some things, but that's ok.  

My practice will be form intensive, so it would be great to have it all on a file server so as my office expands all the info is there and available for anyone to work on it at the same time.

I know a fair amount about computers, but she always educates me about something.  I was surprised to hear I'm one of the few people in the office who regularly seeks her advice.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #285 on: May 09, 2007, 05:14:45 PM »

I should transplant the hostas tonight.   Or I should do the laundry tonight. But I keep thinking that I should have a root beer float tonight instead....decisions decisions....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #286 on: May 09, 2007, 05:19:11 PM »

I should transplant the hostas tonight.   Or I should do the laundry tonight. But I keep thinking that I should have a root beer float tonight instead....decisions decisions....
So many people are thinking laundry.  I'm putting mine off until tomorrow (my off day).  

Root beer floats sound good.

But what I've got is grape soda and cream soda.

Hmmm... cream soda with a scoop of chocolate ice cream.

I'd better do dinner first.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #287 on: May 09, 2007, 05:20:11 PM »

Ham steaks.  Cheesy grits.  Salad.  (Der Brucer's topped with marinated mushrooms - he likes that.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #288 on: May 09, 2007, 05:25:37 PM »

No, I am happy that so many people enjoy American Idol.  And I do skip some of the posts about it, especially if I haven't seen it.  But since I watched it last night, I thought I would express my thoughts....just as everyone else who watched was doing.

I do hate what it SEEMS to be doing to the recording industry and those who are trying to have a career in singing - and I did turn the channel.

Sorry if I upset anyone by my comments.  I will say I wrote just a small portion of what I really thought....just because it didn't seem important to say so MUCH that was negative.

If we only post about things we ALL like, we won't have many 400 post days.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #289 on: May 09, 2007, 05:27:23 PM »

I don't mind posts about AI or other shows I either don't like or don't watch. I just don't get AI. I didn't think it would last this long.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #290 on: May 09, 2007, 05:27:57 PM »

If the tileman won't come to Mohammed....Mohammed will go to the tileman.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #291 on: May 09, 2007, 05:29:04 PM »

I'm enjoying Thank God You're Here tonight.  It seems to be getting better. Of course I used to love doing improv.  I took a week long class in it with Stephen Book at Esalen one year. That was a great week.

Ginny

« Reply #292 on: May 09, 2007, 05:35:10 PM »

;D

I'm trying to finish up the thank you notes for the conference I worked on last month and get them mailed before the rates go up on Monday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #293 on: May 09, 2007, 05:38:35 PM »

No, I am happy that so many people enjoy American Idol.  And I do skip some of the posts about it, especially if I haven't seen it.  But since I watched it last night, I thought I would express my thoughts....just as everyone else who watched was doing.

I do hate what it SEEMS to be doing to the recording industry and those who are trying to have a career in singing - and I did turn the channel.

Sorry if I upset anyone by my comments.  I will say I wrote just a small portion of what I really thought....just because it didn't seem important to say so MUCH that was negative.

You can say whatever you like, whenever you like.  That's what we love about this here site.  Some people hate things, some love them - different strokes for different yolks.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #294 on: May 09, 2007, 05:42:02 PM »

I guess I didn't realize that only certain members here were allowed to criticize programs that they don't enjoy.

I must have missed that memo.
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #295 on: May 09, 2007, 05:45:46 PM »

I guess I didn't realize that only certain members here were allowed to criticize programs that they don't enjoy.

Gee I got it in triplicate... ;)

Jennifer

« Reply #296 on: May 09, 2007, 05:46:08 PM »

DR MattH, I haven't read the last pages of posts (so forgive me if you mentioned anything about this), but i had asked you to report if you heard anything about VERONICA MARS getting renewed.

My sister reads the tv guide website. And apparently chances were minimal. But she said that things looked a lot better now. I'm not sure how good the chances are, but at least this seems slightly optismistic.

Although i think they would use one of the creators ideas (maybe aging the characters a few years).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #297 on: May 09, 2007, 05:46:23 PM »

Gee I got it in triplicate... ;)

And you couldn't give me a copy?
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #298 on: May 09, 2007, 05:47:49 PM »

And you couldn't give me a copy?

You mean I'm supposed to share?  What a concept...

singdaw

« Reply #299 on: May 09, 2007, 05:47:51 PM »

Just don't forget pink shirt Thursdays!    :)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up