Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: BRASS TACKS  (Read 33472 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:BRASS TACKS
« Reply #180 on: May 19, 2007, 12:42:22 PM »

Vixmom, can't you use your phone while it charges? I do that all the time

I do also... One of my bad habits... talking and charging!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2007, 12:43:27 PM »

Page 7 Dance!!!

Happy Birthday Francois Dance!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2007, 12:45:41 PM »

Yes, I've always hear them called "playoffs" as well.

Brings a whole new meaning to NBA Playoffs!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2007, 12:46:50 PM »

TOD: How could I forget Barbara Stanwyck's THE NIGHT WALKER!

(Also one of my favorite book covers!)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2007, 12:49:26 PM »

I am sleepy.   I went out for breakfast with Paul and stupidly ordered potato pancakes at IHOP.  I was thinking about the potato pancakes we used to make out of left over mashed potatoes, these were like McDonalds potato thingies with onion and some herbs in it.   Yuck.

I have a recipe that I like for potato panckes and potato cigars (I know that is not the right name for them but I cant spell it and they look like cigars when you roll them.) The IHOP ones are HORRID!

It's also fun to hear people sing and speak in Dutch. My grandfather used to sing to me and tell me funny Dutch sayings. Luckily, when I was a kid I got him to say them into my new cassette recorder, so I still have them.

You should try and see if you can get someone to digitize the tape if you still have it. Then you can have  back up of it. That is what I have done with some of the interviews I had done with my grandparents and my great-great-great aunt Mary Ackerman Schumacher. She was born in 1898 and is still alive and very feisty!

I ate a bratwurst and a "Dutch Fudge Puppy"  Lol....it's a strip of waffle on a stick dipped in fudge and then topped with whip cream.  It sounded better than it tasted.  

I did make it to the butcher shop and picked up some of their wonderful dried beef and home made ring bologna.

Those sound good. Love Brats and there is a place in Detroit Lakes, MN and in Ashley, ND that makes homemade sausage and brauts. The one in Detroit Lakes makes blackberry brats.

Edisaurus

« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2007, 12:51:32 PM »

I have never really seen that many Barbara Stanwyck or Gary Cooper movies. Stanwyck of course in Double Indemity and being butch in The Big Valley TV series.

I loved her description in the show's open where they introduce the characters:

"Victoria Barkley...a woman of backbone---and bite!"

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: May 19, 2007, 12:59:58 PM »

I just heard from DR Danise.  I think she's got a pretty good handle on things at the moment, but I don't envy her the next couple of days and the roller coaster of emotions she'll go through in the next few months.

(((((((( DR DANISE ))))))))
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: May 19, 2007, 01:04:34 PM »

I hope you passed on the thrust of the posts from everyone, because I know she didn't see them and she needs to hear the content of them.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: May 19, 2007, 01:05:18 PM »

Back from storage, got all the charts I needed, paid a surprise visit to The Weiner Factory, where I haven't been in years, and had two hot dogs which were sublimely sublime.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: May 19, 2007, 01:05:38 PM »

At about two, I may try to jog, since the sun has come out.

Cillaliz

« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2007, 01:08:01 PM »

I think I am going to do something I rarely do anymore...take a nap. It just sounds like the thing to do .

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: May 19, 2007, 01:10:25 PM »

I think I am going to do something I rarely do anymore...take a nap. It just sounds like the thing to do .

That sounds good.  I've been listening to Verdi's Un Ballo In Maschera with Leontyne Price, Carlo Bergonzi, Reri Grist and Robert Merrill.  What a glorious opera! And now to disc 2.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 01:41:36 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #192 on: May 19, 2007, 01:13:31 PM »

Hi everyone,

I’m very sorry about the post last night.  I was pretty raw and tired and upset and I guess you all know what I mean.

It was just that I so wanted to be holding Mom’s hand when she passed and I felt like I had deserted my post.

My boss put it into perspective for me; she told me that my Mom knew I was there because I was more then likely snoring to ratter the windows.  Any one who has slept anywhere with in hearing range knows that I do snore and very loudly to boot.

My other friend, Thelma, made me go home with her last night so I wouldn’t be alone that first night and was kind enough to take me out to dinner as well.  I really couldn’t eat so we went to an IHOP and I had some eggs and toast.

I thought because Mom passed on a Friday, the paperwork/embalming wouldn’t even take place until the first of the week but was very surprised to find out that Mom will be going to Pittsburgh tomorrow night.

I have to get with Thelma (who has kindly decided to go with me) tomorrow afternoon so we can look at flights and hotels and get something booked.  I had thought it would be Tuesday before we went but now that I know Mom will be there that might change to Monday.  Which ever way it goes the plan is to fly up one day, go and visit the funeral home that day but if it’s to late maybe the next to make all of the arrangements.  The funeral itself will be the following day then I will fly home the next day.

In other words I’m planning on 4 days and 3 nights in Pittsburgh.  I’m just not sure if that will start on Monday or Tuesday.  That sets the funeral on either Wednesday or Thursday of next week but I will post when I know exactly what is going to happen.

I can’t thank all of you enough for the kind words and the phone calls.  VixMom, don’t worry about your cell phone.  I have dropped calls all the time and I totally understand.

Thank you DR Jane, DR Laura and DR Elmore for your calls.  I did sound better, I hope.  I can't thank you enough for your concern and kindness.  

Again, I apologize for the post last night.  I was a basket case and I have no doubt that I will experience  being a basket case again in the next week or so.  Please bear with me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 01:15:25 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #193 on: May 19, 2007, 01:27:32 PM »

DR Danise - you sound very composed, but if you need to come here and be a basket case, that's perfectly OK, too.  Continued hugs and good thoughts for all you need to take care of in the coming days - don't forget to take care of yourself!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #194 on: May 19, 2007, 01:33:23 PM »

Thank you, DR Ginny.  I will.  Trust me.  :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #195 on: May 19, 2007, 01:36:31 PM »

I hope you passed on the thrust of the posts from everyone, because I know she didn't see them and she needs to hear the content of them.

Thank you, Bruce.  If I never knew that HHW is my family, I know it now.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #196 on: May 19, 2007, 01:38:38 PM »

Happyest of Birthdays, Dear François.  I hope my sorrows don't affect your day.  I hope it was fantastic!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #197 on: May 19, 2007, 01:39:45 PM »

Phone call--gotta go but I will be back.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

singdaw

« Reply #198 on: May 19, 2007, 01:50:25 PM »

Well...

Into my tux, and off to sing a benefit concert.

DR elmore3003, I'm singing the Cosi Act I trio you helped me with a few weeks ago.  Also some Vaughan Williams songs.

Smooches, kids!

François

« Reply #199 on: May 19, 2007, 01:54:04 PM »

Happyest of Birthdays, Dear François.  I hope my sorrows don't affect your day.  I hope it was fantastic!

Thank you, Danise! What you just posted makes me feel better for you! I did not celebrate because I'm by myself here in Paris ("So sad to be all alone in this world!") and I don't know if being one year older is something exciting! (I had a nice ice cream bar for dessert!) I'm going to see my family this monday and I got 2 phone calls from Oz earlier in the morning! :D

Renewed condolences to you! You sound like you're going to face the situation gracefully!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2007, 01:59:14 PM »

I did get some viewing in before geiving the afternoon over the reading and some phone calls.

I began with last night's LAW & ORDER. Fairly interesting case with Harry Hamlin as an ex-senator on trial for killing his drug addicted daughter.

The show also set up scenarios so the series could bid goodbye to several castmates. When the show returns in 2008, at least two people on the current incarnation of the show won't be back.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2007, 02:02:04 PM »

Next up was the season finale of SUPERNATURAL, a fabulous season ending episode (which could have effectively been a series finale if the show had been canceled; thankfully, it wasn't). The emotional roller coaster of the episode had me in tears at least twice during the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2007, 02:03:19 PM »

I cued up BECKET in the player, but I couldn't resist looking at what the special features were, and so I had to look at some of them. First the Laurence Rosenthal featurette on how he got the job and what it was like to work for Hal B. Wallis.

Naturally clips were shown which whetted my appetite even more to see the movie tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2007, 02:05:30 PM »

There was also a featurette focuisng on Oscar-winning film editor Anne Coates. Loved hearing her opinions on the two actors and her philosophy of editing when you've got marvelous actors in the frame. I agreed with her wholeheartedly.

More clips were shown and  made me anticipate BECKET tonight even more. Will get to it soon.

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2007, 02:06:16 PM »

I've also got JANE EYRE ready to watch when BECKET concludes. Haven't seen that one in ages either.

MBarnum

« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2007, 02:07:22 PM »

DR Danise, I am relieved that you are doing better today, I was rather worried about you. Vibes for the Pittsburgh trip and I am glad Thelma will be there with you. Take care!!!!!

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2007, 02:16:12 PM »

Sitting eating grapes, writing a paper, and litsening to Bruce's recording of After The Fair. A nice, calm Saturday afternnon.

~vibes and more vibes~
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2007, 02:21:49 PM »

Isn't it AHftah The Fair?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2007, 02:22:29 PM »

Glad Danise visited us today.  I think I'll sit on my couch for a few moments.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2007, 02:27:42 PM »

DR Danise, I am relieved to see that you have posted today, and that you seem to be in much more control than last night.  I wish I could be with you in Pittsburgh, but it sounds like you have a dear friend in Thelma.

THELMA AND DANISE - Sounds like a new movie title.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up