Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 51   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CROWING OF THE COCK  (Read 88214 times)

FJL

Re:THE CROWING OF THE COCK
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2007, 10:12:26 AM »

The All That Chat party was a lot of fun, including a brief entertainment section when Skip played piano for a number sung by Mary Stout (a parody of "And All That Jazz" called simply enough "And All That Chat," parody written by Scarlet Street's own Bob Gutowski - a fellow I first met at a BK book signing for WRITER'S BLOCK in the Village in December 2004, the same day i first met BK himself, so all comes to a couple of degrees of separation from BK).

People knew BK had released the Last Starfighter CD, so several people had things to say to us (all lovely comments, BTW) about BK.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 10:13:16 AM by FJL »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2007, 10:13:57 AM »

TIME AFTER TIME is one of my Top Five films of all time.  I have never really loved Mary Steenburgen (I will leave that to Mr. Danson), but in this film she is delightful.  Malcolm McDowell has never been more endearing, and David Warner is pretty darn sexy for a murder suspect.  This is one of those rare films that I never tire of watching.

Moi aussi! I still remember seeing it in a theatre on the East Side in 1979(?) with friends from The Drama Book Shop.  I remember bursting into tears of happiness when she jumped into the time machine with him at the end.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2007, 10:16:56 AM »

Am enjoying Mr. Pulliam's ravings, especially about the colors - while The Searchers, for example, may be gloriously sharp, it's "glorious" colors are completely off and incorrect and look nothing like they should.  And unless Oh, What A Lovely War changes prints after thirty minutes, its colors were quite faded if memory serves.  I'll have to check out the rest of the transfer.

I guess my reactions can be called "ravings....I'm certainly not privy to how much more perfect they ought to be.  I can only express my opinions based  upon what I see on my TV screen through the HD DVD, as well as my 50-plus years of movie-going and readings on the topic.  I know what I like and what I don't.  I totally "liked" what I saw.  

What I saw in "Oh! What  A Lovely War" is vibrantly colorful...rich deep colors in a pristine transfer.  The first 30 minutes are filmed a la the Ascot sequence in "My Fair Lady" -- in a tented facility with off-white lighted background and off-white architectural features.  The ladies are all in white.  The men, however, are peacocks -- Ralph Richardson wears a uniform of the deepest black with glistening gold brocade and a gorgeous cerulean sash.  John Gielgud is in a diplomat's suit...the deepest black with a gray silk cravat...decidedly unfaded and quite stunning.  Throughout the first part of the film, all the men are strutting around in costumes with the strongest colors while the women are muted in whites, beiges and pastels.  It's a choice made for the design of the film.  It would be impossible for the film to be faded and yet still have the men's costumes look so spectacular and color-saturated.  If what you are seeing on your TV looks faded, you should question the calibration of either it or your DVD player.  All flesh tones are quite natural, as well.

"The Searchers" may also be "off", as you say....but all movies should experience such "off" colors as this film is incredible-looking.  I am also decidedly not alone in my assessments of both films' particular grandeur.

Of course, I'm just ignorant me.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 07:34:55 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2007, 10:23:38 AM »

Good Afternoon!

WHEW!  That was a good workout!

Now, I just have to continually remind myself not to workout again tomorrow.  My body, my muscles need the rest.  Otherwise, it will truly be a case of diminishing returns.  -And I know of what I speak from past experience.  :-\  So...  However, a nice jaunt/job/jog/brisk walk in the Park would and could be nice.

Dr Jose, break a leg, screw a cue this afternoon!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2007, 10:27:03 AM »

Jose, have a great show!!

singdaw

« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2007, 10:39:47 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]***pit vibes***[/size][/color][/move]
to our own DR JoseSPiano

singdaw

« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2007, 10:40:20 AM »

DR JoseSPiano, thanks very much for checking with your roomie on the posting thing!  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2007, 11:10:41 AM »

I have used my DDD code to order the Martin/Lewis set and OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR.

Yes, DR ELMORE....my reaction at the end of TIME AFTER TIME was the same as yours.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2007, 11:15:01 AM »

That's ridiculous! Nobody else associated with a musical would even be nominated for an award without someone writing the book and score. And there would be no musical numbers in the show. That is a REVOLTIN' DEVELOPMENT! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

If the Tony's telecast is to remain viable, it must get "numbers" - the show most first and foremost entertain the masses if it is to survive as over-the-air network TV; if telecasting the second tier award presentations and acceptances is the price to pay....

(I wish they could get a cable network to do the "other" awards like we did for the Oscars.)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2007, 11:21:37 AM »

Don't know if this has been posted but I thought DR MBarnum might find this interesting...

Bollywood awards story on CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/06/09/bollywood.britain.ap/index.html
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2007, 11:24:42 AM »

Glad you had a relaxing day Danise... Elmore is right, the healing has begun and I continue to send good vibes!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2007, 11:25:11 AM »

Lease vibes to Elmore!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2007, 11:27:31 AM »

Today is "looming"....and it hasn't yet let me know what it's going to "be."

It's still foggy...although I had no indication through the night that the fog was moving in.  It's been very still and not particularly cool the way our fog usually makes things.

I've heard folks hereabouts refer to this as "earthquake weather", but I've had no major earthquake experience with which to compare it.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2007, 11:29:15 AM »

Happy birthday Baxter the Clown!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2007, 11:32:35 AM »

Good show vibes to Jose!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2007, 11:35:10 AM »

POPULAR is so perverse I don't know how I missed it's initial run! The wedding episode's parodies of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane were completely surreal; I cannot imagine anyone believing the aimed-for audience remotely knew the film and got the jokes, and the mockery, such as the BEVERLY HILLS 90210 penchant for casting mid-20 to early 30 year-old actrors as 10th grade students(!!!), is amazing in itself.  In that respect, it's kind of like a demented PEANUTS comic strip with 16 year-olds being the microcosm instead of pre-schoolers.  The writing for the psycho Mary Cherry is insane but casting Delta Burke as her mother Cherry Cherry goes into the stratosphere of inspiration.

So true in EVERY respect, DR Larry!  One minute, you think the writers have abandoned any sense of self-respect and set up some brain-dead teen trauma situation, and then they bash us over the head with incredible humor based on irony, sarcasm and wit.

Delta Burke's Cherry Cherry IS inspired.  It's the character she was born to play.  She's Suzanne Sugarbaker AFTER absorbing Julia Sugarbaker...Julia's mouth and grits combined with Suzanne's disregard for niceties except as applies to herself.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2007, 11:38:21 AM »

It wouldn't hurt to mention here that the male casting of "Popular" was consistently interesting.

Included among the supporting players were Eric Mabius (Daniel in "Ugly Betty") as the football coach and Robert Gant (of "Queer As Folk") as a very unusual principal (whose mother happens to be the old crone who supervises the school cafeteria).

Christopher Gorham (Betty's current love interest on "Ugly Betty") is terrific, as is Bryce Johnson as the captain of the football team who surreptitiously stars in the school musical "South Pacific"....to his father's utter dismay.

I'm just thrilled, Larry, to have you with whom to share observations about this terrific show!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 11:39:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2007, 11:40:10 AM »

to our own DR JoseSPiano

Yes...."pit vibes", indeed.  And my your pits outlast the rigors of the "pit" experience!   :D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2007, 11:45:57 AM »

to our own DR JoseSPiano

"Pit vibes"-- I like that.

The same from me, DR JOSE!!
[/b]
[/size]

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2007, 11:51:45 AM »

More lease-signing vibes to DR ELMORE
Healing vibes to DR DANISE
Birthday congrats to BAXTER THE CLOWN
and general-purpose vibes to anyone who needs them

[/b]

singdaw

« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2007, 12:03:09 PM »

DR Cillaliz:  package on its way to you!!!!   :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2007, 12:05:41 PM »

Happy Birthday Baxter the Clown.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2007, 12:06:11 PM »

I never saw POPULAR.

I never WAS popular, either.

singdaw

« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2007, 12:10:12 PM »

bk wants preditions. OK...

Should win:               Will win:

Actor, Play                         Frank Langella        Frank Langella
Actor, Musical                 David Hyde Pierce       Raul Esparza
Score                               Grey Gardens           Spring Awakening
Actress, Musical              Audra McDonald       Christine Ebersole
F. Actress, Musical      Mary Louise Wilson      Mary Louise Wilson
Musical                            Grey Gardens           Spring Awakening

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2007, 12:12:49 PM »

RACE TACK ODDS

BEST PLAY
The Coast of Utopia - 3/5
Frost/Nixon - 5/2
Radio Golf - 7/2
The Little Dog Laughed - 50/1

BEST MUSICAL
Spring Awakening - 1/2
Grey Gardens - 7/5
Curtains - 30/1
Mary Poppins - 40/1

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY
Jouney's End - 2/3
Inherit the Wind - 5/2
Talk Radio - 3/1
Translations - 100/1

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
Company - 2/5
110 in the Shade - 4/1
A Chorus Line - 9/2
The Apple Tree - 75/1

BEST LEADING ACTOR IN A PLAY
Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon - 1/2
Bri­an F. O'Byrne, The Coast of Utopia - 8/5
Christopher Plummer, Inherit the Wind - 20/1
Liev Schreiber, Talk Radio - 30/1
Boyd Gaines, Journey's End - 40/1

BEST LEADING ACTRESS IN A PLAY
Eve Best, A Moon for the Misbegotten - 7/5
Angela Lansbury, Deuce - 8/5
Julie White, The Little Dog Laughed - 5/2
Vanessa Redgrave, The Year of Magical Thinking - 50/1
Swoosie Kurtz, Heartbreak House - 100/1

BEST LEADING ACTRESS IN A PLAY *
Julie White, The Little Dog Laughed - 7/5
Angela Lansbury, Deuce - 8/5
Eve Best, A Moon for the Misbegotten - 5/2
Vanessa Redgrave, The Year of Magical Thinking - 50/1
Swoosie Kurtz, Heartbreak House - 100/1

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2007, 12:20:41 PM »

DR Cillaliz:  package on its way to you!!!!   :)

Thanks!

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »

Best Book and Best Score are still a part of the regular Tony broadcast...this is from Playbill.com

Although the CBS broadcast does not commence until 8 PM, the official Tony Awards website — located at www.TonyAwards.com — will offer exclusive live video of the first seven awards beginning at 7:15 PM. Deemed the "Creative Arts Tony Awards," these seven awards include prizes for Best Scenic Design of a Play, Best Scenic Design of a Musical, Best Costume Design of a Play, Best Costume Design of a Musical, Best Lighting Design of a Play, Best Lighting Design of a Musical and Best Orchestrations. The Regional Theatre Award will also be presented to the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta, GA, during the pre-telecast segment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2007, 12:30:18 PM »

And that's probably curtains for CURTAINS.

der Brucer

I don't think so, CURTAINS is very commercial and I think that's part of the reason the pundits don't like it. I've seen it 5 times and each time it was a full house and the audience laughed and laughed and laughed.  It's a big old fashioned musical comedy that I wouldn't hesitate to take anyone to see, I can't say that for some of the other shows that the pundits love.  People love David Hyde Pierce and will go to see him plus it's Kander and Ebb.  My guess is that it will still do fine even if it doesn't win anything. I'm still hoping it wins best book.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2007, 12:31:04 PM »

Why do people who drop by unannounced for "just a minute" block the driveway and stand and talk.....for a LONG TIME?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 12:32:00 PM by JRand56 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2007, 12:31:46 PM »

Go home!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 51   Go Up