Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHIMMY SHAKE  (Read 28617 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE SHIMMY SHAKE
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2004, 09:18:44 AM »

Sorry DRGeorge!  DRMATTH - the above post is ALL I know about cars!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2004, 09:19:15 AM »

OMG, forgot about THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL. "Into the Fire" and "You Are My Home" definitely from that for me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2004, 09:22:41 AM »

Favorite Songs?

First, one that doesn't qualify, because it's supposed to be the last ten years and this one came out in '92, but I like the score by Menkin and Spencer for Weird Romance, and the song "A Man" is just plain funny.

Elsewhere, in no particular order:

Floyd Collins, (Guettel): "How Glory Goes."
Titanic, (Yeston): "Lady's Maid."
Triumph of Love, (Stock/Birkenhead): "The Tree," "Henchmen Are Forgotten."
Steel Peir, (Kander/Ebb): "Wet."
When Pigs Fly, (Gallagher/Waldrop): "Laughing Matters."
Parade, (Brown): "You Don't Know This Man," "All the Wasted Time."
Ragtime, (Flaherty/Ahrens): "Journey On," "New Music," "The Show Biz" (cut song).
Full Monty, (Yazbek): "Big Ass Rock."
Urinetown, (Hollmann/Kotis): "Don't Be the Bunny."
A New Brain, (Finn): "Sailing," "And They're Off."
3hree: The Mice, (O'Keefe/Benjamin): "Two Hours Here."
3hree: The Flight of the Lawnchair Man, (Nassif): "Tiny," "The Air Is Free."

It's worth noting, how Yeston, Flaherty & Ahrens and Kander & Ebb are the only writers on my list who were known for writing musicals prior to ten years ago.  Musicals are clearly not a dead art form.

Sorry, I still haven't had a chance to hear the score for Wicked, or there would be another old-timer on that list.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 09:23:41 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2004, 09:26:38 AM »

Well, I was so rattled by DR td's challenge, that I almost forgot today' topic.  There really have been a lot of good socres in the past ten years, but as for favorites:

“The Blame,” “Barrett’s Song,” and “We’ll Meet Tomorrow” from Titanic.

“Back to Before” and “Our Children” from Ragtime.

“Forget About the Boy” from TMM
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2004, 09:30:20 AM »

Brown paper packages?
Tied up with string?

Are you trying to tell me that C.M. is one of your favorite things, td?
“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2004, 09:36:30 AM »

Brown paper packages?
Tied up with string?

Are you trying to tell me that C.M. is one of your favorite things, td?

Aside from being incredibly handsome, you're very smart, too!   ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2004, 09:39:39 AM »

Hey Everyone

Just wanted to let you all know that the latest Broadway Radio Show is up and running......it's our 100th Show!!!

Enjoy

Donald
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2004, 09:42:46 AM »

C. M. = Christopher Meloni?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2004, 09:49:19 AM »

On this particular issue, td, flattery will get you nowhere! ;D ;D ;D
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2004, 09:49:43 AM »

I like No Moon and The Night Was Alive from Titanic.  I like Pop-You-Lahr from Wicked.  I like A Place Called Home from A Christmas Carol.  I like the opening number of Ragtime.  I like Stop Time from Big, and the love song (sorry, title escapes me) from Flight, both by Maltby and Shire).  I like You Can't Stop the Beat from Hairspray.  However, I think my favorite entire score of the last decade would be Mr. Walter Edgar Kennon's Time and Again.  Not the version heard with two-pianos at MTC, though, which had a few new songs which were not as interesting as the ones they replaced - no, as problematic as the book and staging were at the Old Globe in San Diego, the score came through gloriously.  On its way to MTC they cut my favorite song, Fairy-Tale Life, but my other two favorites remained, thank goodness - She Dies and the title song.  Time and Again is an opportunity lost.  I've written about it many times so I won't rehash any of it here, other than to say had they gotten rid of the book writer and gotten a great director I believe this show would have been a smash.  It was all there - it just needed a director with vision and style (Mr. O'Brien has done really good work since, but his work in San Diego was awful), and someone whom Mr. Kennon would listen to.  Mr. Viertel, despite every chance in the world, could not or would not fix the book.  He has spent his life, as a critic and a dramaturge, telling others how to fix their shows.  I'm quite certain people gave him ideas on how to fix this show (I being one of them) and it mattered not.  He could not do it.  It's a crime.  I offered to record songs from it on way too many occasions and was always turned down with "I don't have the rights".  Well, that, of course, made no sense to me then and it makes no sense to me now, especially after the MTC debacle.

td

• td
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2004, 09:50:03 AM »

C. M. = Christopher Meloni?

Ooooh!  Two smart and good-looking men on HHW!

Now, about those songs. . . .

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2004, 09:51:01 AM »

Well, we should be celebrating - if only Donald would let us know these things in advance!  Congratulations to the best radio show on all the Internet.  Others may come and go, but Donald's show is consistently the best theater music show anywhere.  

td

• td
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2004, 09:51:51 AM »

TIME AND AGAIN is one of my favorite fictional books; like RAGTIME, I'm sure there is a musical in there somewhere. . .
Has anyone else read the works of Jack Finney? ? ?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2004, 09:56:17 AM »

Love all of Jack Finney - Five Against the House, Assault on a Queen, Time and Again, Good Neighbor Sam and the others.  Wonderful writer.  May I just ask: Where in tarnation IS everyone?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2004, 09:59:07 AM »

Jack Finney - besides being a good writer - has a great first name!

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2004, 09:59:26 AM »

When I get back from lunch, DR td, I'll post a CM pic that you've probably never seen before. I have to get it from the hard drive of the other computer.

Ben

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2004, 10:00:33 AM »

Well, here I am at home. A pipe burst over the weekend in our offices and flooded vital areas of workspace so I am off at least today and possibly tomorrow. Hooray! Today is not as cold as it has been, it's in the 40s though the cold weather returns later this week. I haven't kept up with the weekend posts but I shall if I get to work tomorrow, otherwise it will be a slow process.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2004, 10:01:15 AM »

Didn't Jack FInney write the wonderful tale "Contents of the Dead Man's Pocket." Always thought nthat would have made a terrific episode of THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2004, 10:02:06 AM »

Speaking of Donald's show... any word as to when we can listen to the old ones again?  I thought that one of the things that was supposed to be part of the updated site was the ability to listen to any of the shows we either missed or wanted to hear again.  Will that still be happening?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2004, 10:05:08 AM »

Burst pipe. I'll never forget one lovely spring day while I was still teaching, I had my door closed, and I noticed some water seeping in under the door. I opened the door, and the entire hallway was awash in the contents of a burst water pipe in the boys' bathroom. Needless to say, there was indeed raw sewage floating up the hallway. Gross, I know. but absolutely true. All the classrooms were evacuated, and we sat in the gym for the rest of the day (about two hours).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2004, 10:07:07 AM »

Yes, we will be able to have the older shows at some point, hopefully soon.  

William E. Lurie

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2004, 10:14:56 AM »

Thanks, BK.  Many of these shows are worth listening to again and again.

I know this site has a lot of Sutton Foster fans, and it's just been announced that Ms. Foster will be one of the stars of the first "Broadway By The Year" this season.  The year is 1926, the date is 2/9, and the other stars are Marc Kudisch ("Bells Are Ringing," "Millie", tv's "Birdie"), Nancy Opel ("Urinetown", "Triumph of Love"), Nancy Anderson ("Wonderful Town", London and tv's "Kiss Me Kate"), and Bill Daugherty (of the cabaret team Daugherty and Fields).  These concerts are always excellent.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2004, 10:16:28 AM »

Jack Finney - besides being a good writer - has a great first name!

Oh really?  What is it?
“One thing’s universal,

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2004, 10:25:44 AM »

Yay, finally a sunny day in Washington.  
Topic of the day will take some thinking...I'll post that one later.  
hmm..what a boring post

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2004, 10:29:16 AM »

TCB   ::)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2004, 10:32:26 AM »

Good morning!

I'm going to try to have another basically productive day today, so I probably won't be posting as often as I have in the past few days...  But I shall post!

As for songs from the past ten years - Most of my choices have already been mentioned.  But I'll give it a try:

As I've mentioned before, I have a very soft spot in my heart for the show and the score of big - especially, "I Wanna Go Home," "I Want to Know," and "Stop, Time".  -And when I MDed a production of it a few years ago, I have to say that some of the songs that were put back in for the then-licensed version should have stayed out, imho.

Violet - "Let It Sing!," "Lay Down Your Head," the Opening Sequence ("I Am On My Way"), and the Finale ("Bring Me To Light") - which has one of the most beautiful and emotional and musical arcs I've ever experienced - and that one "release" in the middle where the trio of voices are floating... Wow!  Again, I feel very fortunate to have worked on a production of this show.  -And I can't wait to see Caroline, or Change this weekend!

Aida - There are some fun numbers in the show... I know it may not be to everyone's taste, but still fun nonetheless - and Elton John's style is very much in evidence (and since I'm a pianist... ;)).  From someone who's played in the pit of this show, my favorite songs are "My Strongest Suit" (mainly the runway sequence, which, unfortunately, is edited to within an inch of it's life of the OCR), "The Gods Love Nubia," "Elaborate Lives," "Easy As Life", and "I Know the Truth" (which I love playing at auditions if the singer actually sings and belts it!).

The Full Monty - "Big Ass Rock," "You Walk With Me", and "Breeze on the Water" - as well as the cut song "Maid of the Mist" - which BK recorded with Emily Skinner.

A Class Act - Yes, the songs were writtend more than ten years ago, but the show is within the time frame.  "Paris Through the Window," "Mona," "Under Separate Cover," "The Next Best Thing to Love" and "Self-Portrait".  -OH, and the one numbers, the blues one that did not make it to the OCR - which I can't remember the title of right now.  -Hmm, I guess I like/d a lot of songs from this show.

Hairspray - Heck, there's not much I don't like in this score, but "You Can't Stop The Beat" truly gets me moving my feet, tapping my toes, clapping my hands and smiling(!) every time!

-I know I'm leaving off a bunch of stuff, but they're not crossing my mind right now.  Oh, and I guess the usual suspects from Urinetown, Parade, Titanic, etc.

RE: Jack Finney - I like "The Picture on the Wall" which was the basis for the movie Maxie - with the story somewhat changed.  However, I still think the original story - and even the movie revision - would make a good musical.  With the flapper-era being represented and well as the "present", the possible score has many musical possibilities.

-Oh, and it was amazing just how much warmer my room was last night after I had taken out the window A/C unit!!  Nor more annoying draft!  And the temp was in the teens last night here too!

*But we're in the mid-50s right now, and I'm hoping to get outside for a little bit to enjoy it.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »

Aida: "I Know the Truth"

A Class Act - Yes, the songs were writtend more than ten years ago, but the show is within the time frame.  "Paris Through the Window," "Mona," "Under Separate Cover," "The Next Best Thing to Love" and "Self-Portrait".

Ah, I also LOVE "I know the truth" and "The next best thing to love".

Btw, DR Matt: Did you get my Alias email?

I spoke to my sis this morning and we were both like, "omg they gave us so much information". It's hard to digest!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2004, 10:50:44 AM »

Well, there seems to be quite the brouhaha about me and this site over at a DVD site (not ours, obviously).  These people are upset that I had the temerity to TAKE THEM ON.  Oh, well.  They call me all manner of names, think I have a "limited" history in the show business, think I have an ego huger than theirs, and think this site is stupid and strange (I'll give them the latter - the former is surely their province).  I am glad that they've come over here and had some fun, though - hopefully some of our chicken recipes came in handy (they REALLY seemed upset by those posts - didn't understand them at all).  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2004, 10:51:45 AM »

Panni how did you feel reading the letters?  I recently disposed of some personal letters and poems I would never want my children to see.  I hope it wasn’t a mistake.

Ann I enjoyed your beautiful picture.  

Happy birthday Minx.  Did she get a special treat today? :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2004, 10:54:33 AM »

Oh yes...thanks for reminding me DRJane.  DRAnn posted a picture of a lovely sunset yesterday!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up