Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: SMELL-O-NOTES  (Read 43447 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:SMELL-O-NOTES
« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2007, 11:13:18 AM »

Edi, moving story about Randy Newman’s ovation.

Many a time it has seemed Keith & I were the only two people not standing during an ovation.  It always makes me feel awkward as if I am being rude, however, the few times I stood simply to join the crowd I felt dishonest.

Ashland audiences seem to be very generous to the actors here.  If I am not standing, I am free to observe those who are, and must say they seemed enthusiastic to me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #181 on: July 16, 2007, 11:13:30 AM »

...I have no desire to go to Fire Island. It's hard enough to be judged by gay men when you're fully dressed. Who wants the added pressure of having to look good in beachwear, too? There's just something seedy about it...
The trick is to come to Rehoboth Beach instead.  While RB is a gay resort town, it's mixed with the straight elements very well, a kind of co-habitation.  Part of what attracted der Brucer and myself to this town is how it has no gay ghetto, and is very well integrated.  So if you ever get tired of the competition of Poodle Beach (yep, that's what the predominantly gay section of the sand is called), all you have to do is wander a couple hundred yards northwards and mingle with the husbands and wives.

(Wander far enough north, and you find a predominantly lesbian section.  Only I don't think they've named their stretch of sand.  Strange.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: July 16, 2007, 11:15:01 AM »

Where oh where is our DR Jose? That slut left hours ago!  Do you think he's still working Union Station?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2007, 11:16:28 AM »

Zack is beautiful (Zack the dog that is, Zack the boy is handsome).  DRs Sandra & Laura your cat photos are always fun to view.  It is amazing how much the feral cat looks like Josie.  Every once in awhile I have seen a cat that looks like mine, or one I had.  I always find it a bit startling.  

DRLaura, lovely photos.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2007, 11:16:39 AM »

Lizard walks? Sewage ponds??   ??? ??? ???

I know the greatest places, don't I, Jeanne??
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2007, 11:17:07 AM »

I always liked Bob Hope in that movie Monsoon Beaucaire.

I always liked Chaplin in Monsoon Verdoux.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jane

« Reply #186 on: July 16, 2007, 11:18:02 AM »

Elmore I hope not.  Time for me to get those safe & easy travel vibes out to DR's JOse & Jason.

Jason, have fun at the beach.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2007, 11:19:18 AM »

TOD -

Some sporting events have had standing ovations in the middle of the show for ages.  Only there it's called the seventh inning stretch.

Les Miserables' first act could use one.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singdaw

« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2007, 11:19:35 AM »

Poodle Beach (yep, that's what the predominantly gay section of the sand is called)

It's those darned poodle skirts!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2007, 11:22:31 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from Richmond!

-Of course, the train ended up leaving an hour late this morning.  So, the 6:15 Palmetto and the 7:15 Carolinian ended up pulling into Richmond a few minutes apart.  No biggie.  And it was a very nice and fast train ride too.

And now... I want to run around to get the car paperwork taken care of before everything closes at 4:00.  The sooner the better.  I shall catch up upon my return.

Thanks for all the Travel Vibes.  I hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2007, 11:23:41 AM »

Sherlock on the deck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2007, 11:24:12 AM »

I once began a musical version of Waltz Of The Toreadors.  And The VIPs.  And, of course, I did To Kill A Mockingbird.   I think those were my only adaptations or stabs at adaptations.

What would Brain groupies be called?  Brainies?  Brainlets?  
X-ets.

Jane

« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2007, 11:24:40 AM »

Jose-Hope the rest of your day goes well.

Jane

« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2007, 11:26:10 AM »

We always seems to get the blue eye side facing the camera.  I need more photos of his brown eye side. ;D
Front views are my favorite, gets the mix in.

singdaw

« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2007, 11:27:03 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]***DMV VIBES***[/color][/size][/move]
to DR JoseSPiano

singdaw

« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2007, 11:28:05 AM »

DR Jane - :)

Every time you post photos of Sherlock, I just want to hug him and roll around on the floor with him.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2007, 11:29:32 AM »

Me, too.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #197 on: July 16, 2007, 11:31:11 AM »

Well, in tidying up this morning, I found one of Mae-Ling's drawings from Friday afternoon. She decorated her picture with lots of stickers. Unfortunately, the stickers cost 41 cents apiece.

singdaw

« Reply #198 on: July 16, 2007, 11:32:50 AM »

Unfortunately, the stickers cost 41 cents apiece.

A child's refrigerator art:  priceless.

Jane

« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2007, 11:33:17 AM »

Singdaw & DR Laura, he would love playing with you too.  This photo was taken at the moment Sherlock & Keith bonded, and the moment we knew he was meant for us.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 11:34:03 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #200 on: July 16, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »

Well, in tidying up this morning, I found one of Mae-Ling's drawings from Friday afternoon. She decorated her picture with lots of stickers. Unfortunately, the stickers cost 41 cents apiece.

LOL.

I must go practice with Sherlock now so he passes his test today & can move up to the next class.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #201 on: July 16, 2007, 11:35:22 AM »

Awwwwww.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #202 on: July 16, 2007, 11:36:07 AM »

Yes, I imagine it would have been pretty near impossible not to bring him home after that!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #203 on: July 16, 2007, 11:39:28 AM »

RUDE CUSTOMER DEPARTMENT -

As a change from working the Self Scan lanes, I was assigned the Express Lane instead.  Fifteen items or less.  Or at least that's the theory.

I had one customer who had something like eleven items.  This was no problem, but she had two items that needed to be checked, because the bar code was half-torn on one, and the other was a melon that I couldn't recognize and lacked a PLU sticker (PLU = Produce Look Up code).

This customer was being very nice about everything, and indeed appologetic, although it certainly wasn't her fault that there were problems.  Unfortunately the woman behind her had two containers of ice cream.  In a very pointed tone, Ice Cream Lady loudly said "I thought this was the Express Lane.  At this rate, my ice cream will be soup before I get it home!"

The very nice first customer was shocked, and muttered to the second customer that she didn't have to be so rude.

My business with the first customer concluded, and I turned my attention to the second woman, who informed me "I wasn't being rude, I have the right to get through the Express Lane quickly!"

I looked her in the eye, smiled gently, and in my most dulcet voice replied "Perhaps you could try the self-scan lanes next time?"

I have absolutely no idea why she gave me a glare that was intended to kill.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2007, 11:39:56 AM »

DR JMK, you are probably burning them in "Draft" mode.  You should look to see if there is a print configuration to burn at "Best" mode.  Also, if you go to the LightScribe website, you'll find that there is a download that will allow for darker contrasts.

But in the end, it's still probably not worth the effort...

Nope, I've done them in "best" mode, and, strangely, there's virtually no difference, time-wise (and, frankly, quality wise) between draft and best, at least on this computer.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2007, 11:40:55 AM »

Singdaw & DR Laura, he would love playing with you too.  This photo was taken at the moment Sherlock & Keith bonded, and the moment we knew he was meant for us.

Wet glasses have that effect on us dog lovers.

:D

singdaw

« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2007, 11:42:36 AM »

I have absolutely no idea why she gave me a glare that was intended to kill.

Everybody's got the right to be happy...

3DDiffusion

« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2007, 11:45:13 AM »

TOD -

Some sporting events have had standing ovations in the middle of the show for ages.  Only there it's called the seventh inning stretch.

If I may be pedantic....they don't clap while they're standing, at least not  in baseball, they're just standing- or making a concerted run on the concession stands.
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2007, 11:50:05 AM »

Normally, my one-liners with customers are prompted by happier circumstances.

For example, "One cent change, spend it wisely!" usually gets a chuckle.

When something doesn't scan properly and the customer (thinking themselves being original) says "Oh, that must be free!" I tell them with a straight face "I'm sorry, that's only true in Maryland."  They love that little bit of "gotcha".

The regular complaint with our credit card swiper is "Why can't these things all be the same?  They're all different!" earns the reply "That's by state law, sir/ma'am."  I've learned to smile and wag my eyebrows after saying this one - it's amazing how many people think I'm telling them the truth.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2007, 11:51:01 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up