Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RHYTHM OF LIFE  (Read 25083 times)

Michael

Re:THE RHYTHM OF LIFE
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2004, 06:22:16 PM »

Here's my contribution, though some DRs may already have heard this one.

Merman was in a show, I forget which.  One of the chorus girls objected to Ethel's frequent cursing, and decided to start a coin jar.  Whoever cursed would have to deposit a quarter.  For a time, Ethel put up with it, but after the chorus girl had asked her for a quarter one time too many, she put $5 in the jar and said to her, "Go f*** yourself."

The version of this story I heard was she was visiting Mary Martin back stage at Peter Pan. And it was Mary who had a swear jar.
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2004, 06:24:32 PM »

I hear it or something like it but it's still funny.  

Goodnight all!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2004, 06:25:51 PM »

Now this story was told to me by David Dillon the playwright of "Party".

He was working on show were Ethel Merman and Mary Martin were performers. Mary went on first to be followed by Ethel. Ethel was off-stage watching her performer. Next to her was a chorus boy also watching. After Mary's first number the chorus boy turned to Ethel and said, "Miss Merman is Miss Martin wonderful?" Ethel turned to the chorus boy and said. "She's a dy**e, you know!"
Never stop dreaming.

Jason

« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2004, 06:26:57 PM »

Listening to KISS OF THE SPIDERWOMAN, which I haven't listened to in AGES! I forgot how good this show can be. Such a verile sound in the men's ensemble numbers. How in the world did they get so many chorus boys to sound so butch? ;) Did Brent Carver win the Tony for Molina? I think he did...I can't remember.

Jose: They're predicting up to six inches of snow between Weds. night and Thurs. morning, so be sure to pack warm and waterproof.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 06:58:15 PM by Jason »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2004, 06:30:02 PM »

Back from dinner... -Pizza!  YUM!  So where are my five more pages of posts?!?!?

;)

As for my internet dating experiences... I've met some amazingly nice people, and I've met some amazingly "funny" people - as is "funny-strange".  Thankfully, no harm done.  I'm a naturally "question-y" person, so I tend to pre-screen people rather well before meeting them in person.  -And having worked with some of the characters I've crossed paths with in the "biz", I know the right questions to ask.  ;)I have some very good friends whom I've met via the net, and I have some very good "internet only" friends whom I may or may not meet in person someday.  With my strange hours, the internet has become somewhat of a social outlet for me - and a very cheap way to chat with my friends in other times zones.  -Oh, and I've some very nice dates too!

And, of course, I've met some wonderful people from here on HHW!  And hope to meet many more!

OK - Back to packing and prepping...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #215 on: January 13, 2004, 06:38:31 PM »

Panni, I have a deal with the lovely wife that goes: If I get to diapers and drooling, please shoot me!"  
My ex-husband, who was from Newfoundland and knew of such things, told me that if he ever got that way I should put him on an iceberg and simply let him float away.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 06:39:07 PM by Panni »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2004, 06:49:59 PM »

DR Jason - SNOW?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?  When did that pop up in the forecast?  -Actually, I think it's kind of cool.  I like NYC in the snow.  Guess, I'll browse over to weather.com...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2004, 06:57:20 PM »

According to AOL, we should have 4-6 inches of snow on Thurs. with a low of 2 degrees....brrr!

Laura II

« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2004, 07:02:17 PM »

Jose, apparently we're supposed to get snow here in VA too. I was supposed to go to Georgetown tomorrow night, but my friends want to avoid any bad weather.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Michael

« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2004, 07:09:07 PM »

My ex-husband, who was from Newfoundland and knew of such things, told me that if he ever got that way I should put him on an iceberg and simply let him float away.

Here is an unique Canadian joke you might like.

CBC National News announced tonight that world will end tonight at midnight. 12:30 in Newfoundland.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2004, 07:10:27 PM »

Weather?  What, my dear Neice, do you mean by weather?  I've never experienced anything called weather!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2004, 07:13:41 PM »

Today’s discussion has taken a thoughtful turn for me.  I very much enjoyed Charles Pogue’s posting regarding his visit to Mary Astor.  I read it as a personal story of his experience.  Obviously, to me, his heart and intuition were saying not to visit her.  Panni brought up an interesting view regarding the telling of this story, one I think is valid.  Sometimes it feels so personal here I just think of it as friends sharing experiences.  Still, I liked the story.

I began this post hours ago but had to rush off.  I have found the continued conversations regarding this issue interesting.  It is great to have different opinions discussed in such a friendly manner.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2004, 07:15:18 PM »

TCB my deepest sympathies to you.  It must have been a dreadful shocking experience for you.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2004, 07:18:32 PM »

Hmmm 4-6 inches of snow?  AOL down here - or at least weather.com on AOL is only saying 1-3 inches right now.  BUT they are posting the warning about the "severe cold".  But that's what jackets, scarves, ear-muffs, gloves and hats are for!

We'll be leaving at 8:00, so we should miss any of the bad stuff on the way up.  And if we get "snowed in" Thursday morning in New York, at least we'll be in New York!  -And at least I know that NYC does not shut down just because of a few inches of snow... Now, if we were staying in Richmond... ugh!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2004, 07:26:53 PM »

LOL! JRand53, that Loretta Young driving story had me in stiches...I could just picture it! Ha!

PS: I have two tapes full of WB shows for you...10 hours of Sandy, Kookie, Dave, Ken, and Cricket!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 07:28:23 PM by MBarnum »

Jennifer

« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2004, 07:34:13 PM »

Tonight I saw on the weather channel that the low will be -47C with windchill. That is freakin insane!

Also DR Jason mentioned Kiss Of the Spiderwoman.  Seeing Chita Rivera on the tour, was part of the reason I became so interested in musical theatre.  Before seeing her, I think the only two broadway type musicals I'd seen were Les Mis and Phantom.

Jennifer

« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2004, 07:36:45 PM »

Also re: internet dating, I'd say just be VERY careful.  There are many nice people (like the ones here).  Personally I have stayed away from actual dating sites.  But have met people through various groups.  Just really get to know anyone you meet on the net well before you meet them in person (lots of emails and phone calls first). I think you will figure out if you have a lot in common.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2004, 07:39:24 PM »

I have been most errant and truant (and truant and errant) the last couple of days.  Before I comment on topics (I have to go to Seattle now and I won't be back until late), I found this article on Playbill.com:

Bway's Taboo Will Close Feb. 8 After 100 Performances

Is this really news or was it sort of expected?

This article says that the show lost its entire $10 million investment.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2004, 08:08:43 PM »

Believe you me, DR Danise, I'm discretion and caution itself. I'm no wide-eyed innocent when it comes to the people inhabiting our planet. But I appreciate your concern.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: January 13, 2004, 08:08:49 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  I am here.  Just finished watching It Should Happen to You about which more in tomorrow's notes.

Matt H.

« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2004, 08:13:17 PM »

Yes, all three leads in KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN won Tony Awards and all well deserved.

Matt H.

« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2004, 08:16:00 PM »

I started on THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW - Season 2 box today. Just as wonderful as I remembered. Also got the gutters cleaned (but not the roof; will get to that either tomorrow or Thursday before cold temperatures return on Saturday.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2004, 08:20:24 PM »

Well, I guess it pays to watch the news... I just saw the report about the accident just outside of Baltimore that closed I-95 NORTHBOUND - and that may keep it closed until tomorrow morning (pending the accident investigation!  Ah, well... At least it's easy to get around, so it shouldn't be that inconvenient... And at least we're leaving early...  Guess it's time to check some other websites before going to bed... and before heading out in the morning...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2004, 08:21:22 PM »

-Oh, I still do have that free Amtrak voucher... Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2004, 08:24:33 PM »

Been reading all the Taboo closing comments - very amusing - as if this show were suddenly the second coming.  This happens every time a closing notice is put up these days  "Hey, tell fifty people you know to go buy tickets, we can SAVE THE SHOW."  I wouldn't be surprised if there were some kind of reprieve or extension, although it would totally be for nothing except more money lost.  I remember the Side Show groupies doing this until you wanted to throw things at them - not all shows are great, not all shows should stay open because people on the Internet wish it so, not all shows DESERVE to run.  I, of course, am not speaking specifically of Taboo, which I haven't seen, but it's clear it hasn't found its audience no matter how hard its producer tried to shove it down everyone's throats.  She has guts, she believes in what she believes in, all that is admirable.  David Merrick knew when to cut his losses, all great and responsible producers do.   You'd think people had died from the comments around the net.  This whole generation of young theater goers has no idea how it was in the past - shows came, shows went, some hit, some missed, it wasn't a national tragedy.  End of rant.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 08:25:38 PM by bk »

Jennifer

« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2004, 08:24:46 PM »

BK, I'm here :(

I'm curious, have you watched ANYTHING on your new dish?  You still only talk about dvds. There must be something you can find to watch.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2004, 08:27:12 PM »

I watched two episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and I saw one of my Tricks of the Trade episodes.  I've watched a couple of Biographies, and seen bits and pieces of other things.  The one thing I always forget to do is check local channels, I always start at 200 and work my way up.

Jennifer

« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2004, 08:28:38 PM »

I haven't read the Taboo stuff yet, maybe tomorrow.  But sometimes it is heartbreaking when show you love can't find an audience.  BK, mentioned Side Show. To me that was one of the best, most moving things I'd ever seen. Yet try to get people to see a show about siamese twins.  

Jennifer

« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2004, 08:31:00 PM »

Ah, when you said "trading" I thought you were gonna say you watched an episode of Trading Spaces :(

Michael

« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2004, 08:32:59 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  I am here.  Just finished watching It Should Happen to You about which more in tomorrow's notes.

So did I!  And I still love it. Judy Holiday what a treasure. So sad we lost her soooo young
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up