Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RHYTHM OF LIFE  (Read 25084 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE RHYTHM OF LIFE
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2004, 08:33:08 PM »

TABOO lost its entire $10 million investment? I suspect it lost substantially more than its original investment since I don't think the show ever posted a single week of running in the black.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #241 on: January 13, 2004, 08:39:51 PM »

Yes, MattH, I meant to mention that.  It never met its weekly nut, she spent a fortune on advertising that probably went above the original ad budget, etc.

td

• td
« Reply #242 on: January 13, 2004, 08:44:45 PM »

Are we on a dinner break?    

No, BK: I was on a rehearsal break.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2004, 08:45:11 PM »

I get no glee out of seeing any new Broadway musical fail (nope, not even DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES), but it seemed pretty obvious after the first two weeks there was no substantial audience for this show. As someone who adores Broadway musicals, I must admit that reading about the subject matter of the show and its look as seen in internet photos did not impel me to make a trip to NYC to see it.

td

• td
« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2004, 08:45:16 PM »

A pair of tickets to a show?  Eggs and bacon?  Pancakes?  A winning lotto ticket?

The mind boggles......

Indeed, the mind DOES BOGGLE. . .

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2004, 08:46:35 PM »

OK - I'm gonna take care of the last little bit of packing and prepping, then I'm gonna attempt to get at least six hours of sleep - although, I have a sense the anticipation will be keeping me up - as well as trying to think of all the alternate routes around the accident outside of Baltimore - thankfully, there are a few options which won't take us too far out of the way.

Until the morning.. Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2004, 08:48:20 PM »

I'll be heading downstairs now for some much needed rest. I'll catch up tomorrow with any late night posting frenzies that might occur. Good night, all.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2004, 08:49:15 PM »

Well, today marked the beginning of exam week. This morning at 8:45 I started my Algebra exam. It took me about an hour and a half, even for just 55 problems. There were a few problems that I wasn't sure on, but overall I think I did well. I'm betting on a low B. (In this county, the grading scale is f**ked up, and a B only goes down to an 86. I get really nervy about this, since I moved from a place where you could get a 60 and still have a D. Argh.)

Then I had a 30 minute lunch break. Normal lunches are divided into four 30-minute sections, and the school is evenly divided. But since they don't want a 2 hour break between exams, they just say "Eat wherever and clean up your mess."

Over 1100 kids in the hallways. I almost had a nervous breakdown. I'm not claustrophobic, but that's a little TOO many people for me. But luckily a group of friends and I found a nice quiet spot in a "hidden" hallway and ate. I decided about halfway through lunch that we needed to mellow out and have some fun, so, OF COURSE, I started a food fight. Which turned into a full-blown war. Apples, goldfish, and yogurt (I know, GROSS!) were flying. And then the principal showed up. I thought we were going to get into trouble, but he merely said "You DO know you're cleaning this up when you finish, right?" When we confirmed, he just smiled and kept on walking.

I have the coolest principal.

Next came the French exam, which was CAKE. I finished in 12 minutes flat. I don't think it could have been any easier, the ENTIRE thing was excercizes copied from previous worksheets. Like I said, CAKE.

My friend Jennifer and I left after school let out (2 hours early, thank the Lord!), went to a local bar/burger place, she grabbed a cheeseburger, then went to Starbucks. My hottie wasn't working until 3 :(.

And that was my day. Mostly, anyway. Wasn't that THRILLING?!

Ten thousand people are shaking their heads "No" right now and rolling their eyes.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Andrea

« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2004, 08:50:31 PM »

As someone who adores Broadway musicals, I must admit that reading about the subject matter of the show and its look as seen in internet photos did not impel me to make a trip to NYC to see it.

You're so tactful DR MattH. Personally? It made me want to throw up. Looking at the website, reading about what the subject manner was made me feel physically sick in a bad way. When DR Emily suggested I see that, she almost got punched :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #249 on: January 13, 2004, 08:53:35 PM »

Swishy, have you forgotten to send me something?

Awaiting late-night denizens.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #250 on: January 13, 2004, 08:55:43 PM »

RE: Online personal stuff- I'm kind of wary about giving personal information out online. It's not that I have people singled out as dangerous, but overall, you really never know who's behind that name/face. Who knows? BK could really be some killer who got plastic surgery to resemble star Bruce Kimmel. All of the people in his pictures could be cardboard cutouts! Jason could really be a married woman living in New Jersey with 6 healthy Irish kids and a very UNhealthy obsession with Bruce Springsteen! Maya could be...well...never mind, I know Maya.

You get the idea. I have to give serious thought into giving out info.

I'm currently listening to "The Rhythm of Life" being sung by the 2003 All-County Middle School Girls Choir. I love this song.

Off to study a bit more for English and Drivers Ed, which I have tomorrow. PRAY FOR SNOW, I REALLY want another weekend to study, since last was jampacked with SAT/work/show things. Argh.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #251 on: January 13, 2004, 09:02:23 PM »

Before she went to bed (jet lag problems) DW Joy told me explicitly that I shouldn't make fun of musicals that other DRs consider to be their favorites.

But come on...

A show about Siamese twin sisters, and their romantic troubles?  It sounds like a party game: Let's Make Up the Dumbest Topic For a Musical We Can Think Of.

(Another winner might be Welcome to the Club by Cy Coleman, about a prison where divorced men are thrown if they don't keep up their alimony payments.)

Luckily, writers Blair Fell and Maggie Moore played the Siamese twin sister idea for exactly what it's worth, and their From the Hip had me laughing my head off.  Lines like, "Cut down on the Scotch, Sis - I'M the one with the liver."  And my favorite: "Mother told us never to get romantically involved unless it was with another set of Siamese twins."  "With our luck, it would have been diagonal!"
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #252 on: January 13, 2004, 09:02:25 PM »

SwishySarah good luck on the rest of your exams.  I like your principal.

Goodnight all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2004, 09:04:33 PM »

Well, Swisher, I was just trying to do you a good turn.  But you knew that.   I'll decide for you: Don't give the information out (even though you already gave the information out once before) - we're just very dangerous, kid, VERY dangerous.  And you're very young.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2004, 09:10:30 PM »

I remember der Brucer and I seeing Side Show (matinee) and Triumph of Love (night) on the same day.  No, I didn't care for Side Show, while Triumph was an unexpected delight.  But that's beside the point right now.

Both shows were in their final days.  At the end, both casts came out begging people to help save their shows.  Frankly, I found it embarrasing.  What was worse was that the begging was so scripted...and practically followed the same script for both shows!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2004, 09:12:15 PM »

Not really sure what info Swishy doesn't want to give out.  But I will vouch for Bruce.  Now Jason being a married housewife ... well I can't be sure about that one! (that made me laugh so hard). :)

td

• td
« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2004, 09:14:14 PM »

RE: Online personal stuff- I'm kind of wary about giving personal information out online. It's not that I have people singled out as dangerous, but overall, you really never know who's behind that name/face. Who knows? BK could really be some killer who got plastic surgery to resemble star Bruce Kimmel. All of the people in his pictures could be cardboard cutouts! Jason could really be a married woman living in New Jersey with 6 healthy Irish kids and a very UNhealthy obsession with Bruce Springsteen!

NO! No, my sweetest dancing partner - - Jason and I could NOT POSSIBLY be the same person! ! ! Besides, he has two left feet!

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

td

• td
« Reply #257 on: January 13, 2004, 09:16:01 PM »

. . .and regarding online dating: since Sunday night, I have received THREE offers for coffee and/or cocktails as well as FIVE WINKS (i think that's a good thing. . .) and my profile is very highly viewed in HOLLAND ! ! What is it about Dutchmen? ? ?  Must be all that Wagnerian flying !

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #258 on: January 13, 2004, 09:18:11 PM »

No more posting for me tonight. Going to have an evening of thinking, reflecting, being quiet. G'night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #259 on: January 13, 2004, 09:23:54 PM »

Panni is, as always, BUSY.

td

• td
« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2004, 09:34:19 PM »

Panni is, as always, BUSY.

aren't we all? ! ? ! ? !

Our director told us tonight exactly how she knows the playwright Lanford Wilson, and what his plans are regarding our production. . .
Yeesh!  I love the script, and I love Wilson's other writings, BUT, does he really have to come to THIS PRODUCTION?!?!?!?!?

td

• td
« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2004, 10:26:06 PM »

Now, that's what I call a lull. . . .

Jason

« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2004, 10:31:38 PM »

Yes, it's true...I've been peelin' potatoes all the day, wearin' me wee little bonnet and apron and singin' "Danny Boy" to wee Patrick and his sister, Katherine. The other four children have been about, gatherin' more potatoes for tomorrow's breakfast. I best be peelin' those in a bit if I ever plan to have time for my class. I must take me jig lesson every Tuesday night or I start to lose me edge, don'tcha know?

How did I become a married housewife with six Irish children? Yikes!

Re. TABOO: I saw the show. Not my thing AT ALL. The only explanation for the begging to keep shows open is the hopes that some of these actors will be able to hang on to their jobs for as long as possible. A lame excuse to keep losing money? Perhaps to some...probably not to the actors and techies involved. Yes, it's pathetic, but I can understand where they're coming from...especially if their shows didn't run long enough for them to get their health benefits. Anyway, those are my $.02.

Frosted Lucky Charms...they're magically delicious!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 10:34:09 PM by Jason »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2004, 10:42:19 PM »

Man, we haz slowed to a crawl.  What happened to the giddiness of last week.  Has the giddiness gone to seed whilst the site has gone to pot?  How home and garden of us.  Well, over two hundred fifty posts is nothing to sneeze at.

ACHOO!

Oops, I was wrong.

Tomovoz

« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2004, 10:49:36 PM »

td: Will you be waiting for Lanford Wilson AND Guffman?
Jason: Is the only thing wrong "Danny Boy?". Guess you must have been singing "The Mountains Of Mourne".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2004, 10:54:49 PM »

Wow, it's about time some fresh blood got into a posting frenzy.
jason, you're so cute when you're irish is up.

td

• td
« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2004, 10:57:07 PM »

anyhow. . .
i went to the OTHER online meeting service during the lull, the one that I had forgotten all about being a member of, and to my utter amazement, I had six-count-em-six messages to sort through.  None of these ones were from Holland, though.  One of them actually. . .lives less than a mile away from me. . .NOW, THAT'S SCARY.

Tomovoz

« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2004, 11:29:12 PM »

I crawled away for a few minutes to check on some Cd availability and no posts in 30 minutes. Say something Jed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2004, 11:37:10 PM »

You see what happens - we reach the highest heights and then everyone feels we need to reach the lowest lowghts.  Well, we will NOT reach the lowest because we already have more posts than you can shake a stick at.  I, in fact, just shook a stick and we do have more posts than the shaken stick.

Jed

« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2004, 11:38:00 PM »

But if I were to say something, Tom, it would be posting just for the sake of posting, with nothing of any consequence to contribute to conversation.  I don't post just for the sake of posting.

Oh damn... I just did! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up