Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RHYTHM OF LIFE  (Read 24896 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:THE RHYTHM OF LIFE
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2004, 07:42:26 AM »

I'm shocked, actually, at the few posts greeting me at this early PST hour.

I normally visit around 8 a.m. and there are usually  two-three full pages of east coast posties.  

Where in tarnation IS everyone today?

I have a class in 20 minutes which shall consume my time until noon, or thereabouts.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 07:44:32 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ben

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2004, 07:48:03 AM »

I just finished reading yesterday's posts and now I need to move on to Sunday, Saturday and Friday. Since our database is down and it's hard to work without it (we have become too dependent on computers - and this from a man who loves computers), I will do some more catch up reading.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2004, 07:48:29 AM »

DR Panni,

What a sensational sendoff that was. And it seems like you've inherited your mother's panache.

When the time comes, I'd love to be remembered in Variety. Ideally, as "star of." Realistically, I'm hoping "HHW God" will do the trick.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2004, 07:58:27 AM »

Thanks for the story, DRPanni!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jason

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2004, 08:04:40 AM »

DR Ron: I've seen WICKED twice on Broadway. It was a thrilling experience both times, and one that I hope to enjoy again.

I just shared the...um..."joys" of Mrs. Miller with a co-worker. He laughed and laughed and laughed. Now to introduce him to Ms. Florence Foster Jenkins. :D

TOTD: I'm not a huge fan of Cy Coleman, to be honest. I guess "Something Better Than This" and "The Oldest Professional" (or whatever it's called) are my two favorite Cy songs.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2004, 08:05:11 AM »

I have now finished Sunday posts and will go back to Saturday.

DR Charles Pogue, I, also, would love to hear your Mary Astor story at some point. Anthony just finished reading My Story (a paperback copy re-published in the early 60s and falling apart - I think it was a Dell and cost something like 95 cents) and found it very enjoyable. There are pictures of her grave site on the Internet. While searching to see if there was any other bio of her (besides A Life in Film) we came across the information that she wrote, I think, 6 novels. Very interesting.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2004, 08:06:26 AM »

I wonder if one can be put in Variety as "Fan of..."? LOL!

I'll bet your mom was very proud to be "mother of..." Panni! What was your stage name, I have forgotten!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2004, 08:17:25 AM »

DR Jason - if you are talking about Mrs. Elva Miller produced on Capitol by Mr Paul Weston, I have to ask you if you are familiar with the Piano Stylings and Vocal Interpretations of Jonathon and Darlene Edwards?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2004, 08:18:13 AM »

Jason - A new Florence Foster Jenkins CD was just released.  It has the old standards plus a lot of other previously unreleased selections.

Re Ethel Merman's recording career: The Merm made a number of recordings throughout her career, most currently available on CD, but none were really hits.  She was one of those larger than life performers who was a major stage name but never reached the same popularity in any other medium even though she did it all.  I would place Mary Martin, Gwen Verdon and Carol Channing in the same category (although Channing had some success in nightclubs).  The only man I can think of that probably also falls into that category is Alfred Drake.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jason

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2004, 08:20:09 AM »

I'm speaking of Mrs. Miller who sang such classic 60's tunes as "Downtown" and "Let's Hang On," and did some fantastic birdcalls, as well.

No, I'm not familiar with the piano stylings and vocal interpretations of Jonathon and Darlene Edwards, unless they're the couple who did their own translation of FAUST, which has been preserved on the album "Florence Foster Jenkins: The Glory (????) of the Human Voice." Are they the ones?? If so, they're SPECIAL!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2004, 08:21:52 AM »

Jrand---
I love Jonathon and Darlene.  Darlene's rendition of "It's Magic" beats Doris Day's, and I have never heard a better collection of French songs.  I understand she is Jo Staford's favorite vocalist.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jason

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2004, 08:22:34 AM »

For highlights of Mrs. Miller's vocal stylings, please go to the link below...It's worth it!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000J600/qid
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 09:24:25 AM by Jason »

Ben

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2004, 08:25:01 AM »

I am now up to page 7 of Saturday's notes. I will take a break for the benefit of my wrist and eyes. I will return later and read the rest of Saturday and then gird my loins to be able to read Friday posts.

Ben

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2004, 08:25:37 AM »

I think Jason's link put us into Cinerama

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2004, 08:31:59 AM »

Favorite Coleman songs:

#1 by far: "Lost and Found" from CITY OF ANGELS (but I love all of this score)

"It's a Nice Face" and "My Personal Property" from the SWEET CHARITY film are both appealing ditties.
"There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This"
"Little Me" and "I've Got Your Number" from LITTLE ME
"Hey, Look Me Over" from WILDCAT
"Being Lovers on Christmas Eve" from I LOVE ME WIFE
"Come Follow the Band" from BARNUM
"The Best Is Yet to Come"

Speaking of Cy Coleman, who saw WELCOME TO THE CLUB and/or who's heard the score? Always been curious about this bomb.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2004, 08:39:49 AM »

Ahhhhh - DRJason - Mrs. Miller (and we are speaking of the same person) appeared on Merv Griffin's television show several times and in a MOVIE with Mr Roddy McDowell!

The Edwards' are NOT featured on the album you mentioned, that I know of....but they are special people and you need their CD!  As DR WEL said, Darlene's "It's Magic" is transcendant.....and indeed their French songs are nonpareil.  Individually Johathon's "Nola" and Darlene's "You're Blase" are highlights for me, although it's hard to pick a favorite.  And yes DRWEL, I think Jo has gone on record saying Darlene is a favorite....I know as a tribute to Jo and Paul Weston, the Grammy that the Edwards' won was given to Jo and Paul.  Darlene still expresses dismay that it was for Comedy Album of the Year and is certain they were nominated in the wrong category.

Ben

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »

Never saw Welcome to the Club, but I agree about City of Angels. I LOVE this show. The duet, You're Nothing Without Me is so wonderful.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2004, 08:50:21 AM »

I was hoping William E. Lurie might have seen WELCOME TO THE CLUB though I think it only lasted 16 performances or something equally small. But I read somewhere that the score was pretty tuneful. Just curious.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2004, 08:52:09 AM »

Well, we're getting some of the West Coast's glorious weather today. Going to be sunny and in the 60s. Pretty great for mid-January. I'll be cleaning off my roof and clearing gutters this afternoon.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2004, 08:55:00 AM »

Regarding Welcome To The Club, A.E. Hotchner had a far more successful collaboration with Paul Newman (Newman's Own) than he did with Cy Coleman. Sally Mayes  (later of Urban Cowboy; what's with these roles?), who won a Theatre Award for WTTC, does a superb Our Private World on the album of the same name. None of which answers DRMattH's question.

Emily

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2004, 08:56:37 AM »

Good morning all!

I don't know my Cy Coleman at all... so that topic is out for me :(

On the other hand I do have a very funny (well, funny in hindsight) story to tell:

Yesterday I was asked to buy a copy of the National Post by my work colleague and to bring it into the office so that we could have a hard copy of a story that quoted our Toronto boss from it.  So, before getting on the bus to head off, I stopped in at the dep on the corner of my street to pick one up.

The store had a rack of papers with the National Post being at the very bottom - so I had to squat down to pick it up.  Meanwhile, a woman was pouring herself a cup of coffee (it was one of those deps with a "breakfast station") and, not seeing me on the ground, swirved to avoid me at the last second.  Unfortunately, she was then so off balance she dropped the cup of coffee.  On my head.  

Luckily my hat absorbed most of the *very hot* coffee, but I still had to go home, shower and change into the first non-wet clothes I could find and THEN transport myself all the way across the island to the office.

The woman who spilled the coffee was really embarassed at least and ended up buying the paper for me.

The clerk at the dep who had to clean up the coffee spillage was less than amused.

My scalp is slightly tingly from a very minor burn.  At least I have a funny story to tell now though! :D

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2004, 08:57:40 AM »

Never saw Welcome to the Club, but I agree about City of Angels. I LOVE this show. The duet, You're Nothing Without Me is so wonderful.

Is that the only Broadway song, ever, that includes the word "bubkes" in its lyrics?

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2004, 09:02:29 AM »

Is that the only Broadway song, ever, that includes the word "bubkes" in its lyrics?

It may be the only Broadway show, but it's not the only song. There's a famous episode of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW that revolves around a song called "Bupkis" which Rob wrote with another fellow in the army.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2004, 09:03:40 AM »

DR EMILY we are creatures of habit.  You had never been there at that minute of the day....no one was expecting you.  Look around you when you are at the place you always are at the same time of day....  Or look at your watch now and then....you are in the same place at the same time....nearly every day.  You upset the balance of nature and caused a rift in the continuim.  

Ask TD about Heidelberg's Uncertainty Principle.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2004, 09:13:35 AM »

SSW I have not cuddled with four dogs at once, only three dogs and three cats at once. I can’t help but laugh at your late night pet story.  “Oh the joys of having pets”.  I believe the studies determining pets reduce stress are only done during the fun times, certainly not when one is tending to a pet in the middle of the night. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2004, 09:16:09 AM »

Good morning, Miss Dove.  You've all named my favorite Coleman songs already (I really do adore his music), but I'll add the obscure Then Was Then, And Now Is Now as done by Miss Peggy Lee, and especially What Takes My Fancy, Hey, Look Me Over, You've Come Home and Tall Hope from Wildcat.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2004, 09:17:23 AM »

DR Emily, LOL! If you had not had your hat on, you might have ended up with that new hairstyle you have been wanting...plus some slight scalp problems!

Jane

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2004, 09:19:46 AM »

Panni thank you for sharing the moving story of your mother.  My mother has been gone a long time yet I often miss her.  

Jane

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2004, 09:20:39 AM »

MBarnum I forgot about the new hairstyle.  That was precious-funny too.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2004, 09:26:48 AM »

DR Jason - When (not "if", but "when"!) you get the Jonathan and Darlene Edwards album, be sure to look at the cover art very closely.  It will make the album much more enjoyable. ;)  *My piano teacher in college introduced me to them... And I would actually like to find a copy of the LP just to have an "orginal" size copy of the art - and the liner notes!

DR Ben - I'm actually hoping to take Steve to the Chip Shop in Park Slope when I'm up in the city starting tomorrow(!).  I believe they have Spotted Dick on their menu, maybe not, I can't remember...In any case, I usually end up getting the fried Twinkie and/or fried Snickers bar for dessert.  :-X  -Oh, and their Fish & Chips are pretty good too.

As for Cy Coleman songs:

"There Is Nothing Like A Train" - There is nothing like the first time when the people you're teaching this too finally get it!  What a great entr'acte/second act opening number.
"Our Private World"
"Never" - Another song I love playing at auditions.
"I'll Make Her Mine" - One of the rare duets for two men.
"You There in the Back Row" - Ah, Liz Callaway - Thank You, BK
"There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This" - Dontcha just love it when the accompaniment is in "2", but the melody is in "3" - "Everyone do the hemiola!"  *Of course, this is one of those songs which is virtually impossible to give the tempo for at auditions. ;)
"Lost and Found", "With Ev'ry Breath I Take", "What You Don't Know About Women", "You Can Always Count On Me" - Basically the women's songs from City of Angels.  ;)

-And many others I can't think of right now...

Well, time for me to get ready for my trip up to the Big Apple tomorrow!  I'll check back in later.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up