Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: PROFOUND PROFUNDITY  (Read 43824 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:PROFOUND PROFUNDITY
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2004, 08:32:45 AM »

Hmmmmm.....Can people get this?

Actually, I think so.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2004, 08:33:21 AM »

Doggie Vibes!!!

Hitchcock heroine: Barbara Harris, as the "psychic" Blanche Tyler in Family Plot.

As for Mexican recipes, I really don't have 'em.  Back in Long Beach, we had a really good Mexican restaurant called Avilla's El Ranchito, where we could always get our Mexican fix.  (I was more prone to needing one than der Brucer.)  But here in Rehoboth, I'm going to be hard-pressed to get a good Mexican meal.  There's one place that's been recommended, but everyone is telling me to avoid every place else.

Guess it's time to hit the Bayless cookbooks and start studying!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:38:25 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2004, 08:33:38 AM »

I thought the symptoms seemed "familiar"...... :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2004, 08:36:26 AM »

Same thing happens to me when I see a Carroll Baker movie.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:38:36 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2004, 08:38:17 AM »

(Question for Ask DRs (and BK):
I have seen this question in many celebrity interviews.  If you could play one role of the opposite gender what would it be?  I would like to play Queen Agravain in ONCE UPON A MATTRESS but that may be because I'm loaded with sensitivity.

I think it would have to be Molly Brown in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2004, 08:39:19 AM »

No, DR Ron, that DVD episode originally ran a couple of years before the film of MY FAIR LADY, but remember that the original Broadway show didn't close until September 1962, and the cast album of the show had sold more LPs at that time than any other album (6 million). That would have been a song known by a great many of the public who watched THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW back then.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2004, 08:42:37 AM »

Oh, yes....DRTD!!!

And I am trying to talk to Bryan about coming to see your production as well.....what night is LW going to be there?

At last night's roundtable discussion before rehearsal, Melanie said that LW will probably make opening night; he's teaching Edward Albee's class in Houston right now, but, if all goes well in Texas (just tell them to watch Carroll Baker in GIANT), he should be with us on Thursday, March 5th.
He has a lot of time that he could come in on, though, we run through March 20th!
You've read the script, you'll understand why we have such a long rehearsal period.
Also nice to remember: two free performances!  March 4th (open preview) and March 8th (Gypsy Night).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2004, 08:42:54 AM »

OMG....did DVD start in the 61-62 Season?  

Kerry

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2004, 08:43:48 AM »

I have been errant and truant and truant and errant.  I apologize.  I'll be back tonight to catch up.

I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2004, 08:43:51 AM »

QUESTIONS, I'VE GOT QUESTIONS! (and everyone here has the answers)!

1.  Favorite HITCHCOCK HEROINE?  Why?
2.  Hammer HORROR or Universal HORROR?  Why?
3.  LUGOSI OR KARLOFF - who is the KING OF HORROR?
4.  CUSHING OR LEE? Who is the PRINCE OF HORROR?

1.  I have two -- Janet Leigh in "Psycho" because she's so natural and realistic.  And Tippi Hedren in "The Birds" because I still care about her even though she's so plastic and unbelievable.

2. Universal horror -- the ambience, the chiaroscuro, and the fact that it all still holds up beautifully!

3. Karloff.  Lugosi was a great Dracula, but Karloff was great in everything he did.

4.  Peter Cushing...because he was so great being evil, even in "Star Wars" as Moff Tarkin!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2004, 08:46:58 AM »

Thanks for the info, TD.  I will pass it along (oh a Candide reference!)

KERRY and MG!!!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:49:04 AM by JRand53 »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2004, 08:48:09 AM »

No, DR Ron, that DVD episode originally ran a couple of years before the film of MY FAIR LADY, but remember that the original Broadway show didn't close until September 1962, and the cast album of the show had sold more LPs at that time than any other album (6 million). That would have been a song known by a great many of the public who watched THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW back then.

Of course you're right!  I keep forgetting that I was exposed to Broadway music courtesy of most variety shows of that day, including "Ed Sullivan."

The "Dick Van Dyke Show" started in 1961.  And according to an interent episode guide, this show was episode 63.

That would have been third season at the very least, wouldn't it???  Or did they have 30-plus-show seasons then?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:50:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2004, 08:48:10 AM »

JRand asked: "OMG....did DVD start in the 61-62 Season?  "

Yes.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2004, 08:50:41 AM »

I would not play a role written for the "opposite sex."  For one thing, that would mean shaving off my beard, which would cause me much distress.  For another, I'm six foot two and would silly in heels!  (I've never figured out how Kristen Johnston pulls it off.  And her voice is almost as deep as mine!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2004, 08:50:53 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm 39 shows per....show this one would have been broadcast in the spring of '63....my my ciphering.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2004, 08:51:04 AM »

DR Ron asked: "That would have been third season at the very least, wouldn't it???  Or did they have 30-plus-show seasons then?"

It's actually the last episode of the second season. Yes, they did more than 30 episodes of shows per season back then. So it would have been 1963 when that episode aired.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2004, 08:51:51 AM »

DRSWW - you wouldn't have to shave, Barbara Stanwyck never did.  It's all in the lighting!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2004, 08:58:49 AM »

And you know DRTD - your character doesn't really STEAL the discovery - THEY never sent the telegram.  What else could he do?  LOL...can you tell which part I would probably play as well?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2004, 08:58:52 AM »

What was the odd MGM film made in the 30s or 40s about the "freaks" in the side show.

"Freaks"?  Was that the title?  Was this a Tod Browning film?

SWW could play the bearded lady!!!!

It can be a musical remake....her song can be something like "I don't Nair!"

« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 08:59:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2004, 09:05:57 AM »

Yes, FREAKS featuring the world's WORST actress appearing in major studio product: Olga Baclanova.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2004, 09:06:52 AM »

DR RON a song with theme was sung by the bearded lady, the midget, and the thin man in Herman Cohen's BERSERK....  remember?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2004, 09:10:49 AM »

Oh...and DRPANNI - if you can crack a DVD getting it out the case....either you have paws like King Kong - or their packaging is WAY TOO SECURE!!!  ;D

I love Lanford Wilson.  I was in BALM IN GILEAD and Ad/SM for BURN THIS.  After every performance of BURN THIS someone would ask me why my character wasn't in the program...there was some really nice music between scenes  and a great lighting effect...and some people in the audience always thought I was playing the ghost of the dead brother who would come in and move stuff around in the apartment when everyone was out!  LOL....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 09:19:24 AM by JRand53 »

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2004, 09:18:13 AM »

Some DVD packaging requires the use of both hands and multiple fingers to get the DVD out of its locked position. These DVDs always make me furious because with my clumsiness, I can readily imagine breaking the thing before I can get it out of the container and into the player.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2004, 09:21:14 AM »

Question for Ask DRs (and BK):
I have seen this question in many celebrity interviews.  If you could play one role of the opposite gender what would it be?  I would like to play Queen Agravain in ONCE UPON A MATTRESS but that may be because I'm loaded with sensitivity.

For a long time, I have wanted to play the Barbara Harris/Barbra Streisand part of Daisy (Davey?) in On a Clear Day You Can See Forever.  If the the John Cullum/Yves Montand doctor truly falls in love with Melinda, then why can't Melinda have been reincarnated into a man?  The rest of the show might have to be changed...I don't know about the fiancé part.  Would it be as effective if Davey is gay and has a boyfriend or is straight and has a girlfriend?  Actually, what I've wanted to do is cut all the songs and the rest of the cast and make it just a two person play for the doctor and Daisy/Davey.  Not that I don't like any of the songs...I do...but I think that it would focus on the specific relationships between the doctor and Daisy and the doctor and Melinda.  And be much more of a challange for both actors to carry it off.

I don't know from Horror stuff, so I'll leave that alone.  As for Mexican food, I Love Taco Bell and Taco Del Mar.  I'm not too picky in that respect, except no shredded beef...ick.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2004, 09:26:16 AM »

Panni: Miss Vivian, not Val.

Re West Side Story - I don't know (nor does anyone else) that the claim of the recording means, since, aside from what you mention, there is no difference that anyone can hear.  I had the recording and got rid of it as fast as I could.

The Bee: I do recall that the lead sheet we were given for The Bee had "Where's Charley" written on it.  So, either the book is wrong or the sheet music is wrong.

I think we should instigate a class action lawsuit about the misnomer of refried beans.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2004, 09:29:25 AM »

Refried beans have NO  class.

I would like a bot phone like DRPennyO has.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2004, 09:34:32 AM »

Dear Dogs Roller and Blackjack and I send good vibes to Dear Dog Archie and Dear Reader Dan-in-Toronto!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2004, 09:37:44 AM »

Dick Van Dyke and The Beverly Hillbillies: While I watched quite a few Van Dyke shows (and even attended the filming of one) I can't recall specific episodes.  In fact, the only shows I can really recall specific episodes from are anthology shows like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, and things like I Love Lucy.  As to TBH, I've never seen one episode.  Oops.

Who is Gladys Glover?  Too easy, especially if you've read today's notes: That is Judy Holliday's character in It Should Happen to You.

What female role would I like to play? Winnifred in Once Upon a Mattress.

Fav Hitch heroine - too many great ones, but I fell in love with Grace Kelly as Lisa Fremont and Francie Stevens in Rear Window and To Catch a Thief, I fell in love with Eva Marie Saint as Eve Kendall ("If you hadn't made yourself so damnably attractive" says Roger O. Thornhill, and boy is he right), and I do like Tippi in Marnie.  

Hammer vs. Universal - Different strokes - I like both but probably prefer the Universal classics from the 50s.  Of course, Hammer stayed in that genre lots longer so maybe they get the prize.

Karloff and Cushing - don't know why.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2004, 09:41:27 AM »

Thanks, all, for sending Archie all those good vibes. Just chatted with the vet - what a nice man. They've done x-rays and blood work, and we may know more by late this afternoon.

As for my cross-dressing role? Tessie O'Shea's in The Girl Who Came To Supper. (We went to England some years ago. I had only 24 hours to myself in London. What to see? I tried giving myself Tessie's "London is a little bit of all right" tour.)

td

• td
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2004, 09:41:34 AM »

And you know DRTD - your character doesn't really STEAL the discovery - THEY never sent the telegram.  What else could he do?  LOL...can you tell which part I would probably play as well?

Yep, that's the way I see it, too.  I was left with no alternative.

Jrand, do you mean that you would be playing Pauly? ? ? ;)

Oh, for the musical theater person deep within all of us, two of the roles were originated by Jeff McCarthy (SIDE SHOW, with its own connection to FREAKS) and David Pittu (who has been touring and touring and touring with JRB's PARADE).

Is this WEST SIDE STORY we're talking about on Naxos?  If so, I listened maybe once or twice, but, didn't give it away - - it was dirt cheap to begin with ($5.99 at Barnes & Noble) so it sits gathering (star)dust on the shelf.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up