Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: PROFOUND PROFUNDITY  (Read 43827 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PROFOUND PROFUNDITY
« on: January 14, 2004, 12:06:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know why we're so profound and you know the topics, so let's have loads of lovely posts, shall we?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 12:04:36 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:PROFOUND PROFUNDITY
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 12:19:08 AM »

Is Ruben Blades a Mexican dish? He is the one I have fancied, ever since watching the wonderful "Milagro Beanfield War".
Did you like the movie BK and do enjoy the David Grusin score?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 12:22:22 AM »

I've only seen bits of the movie - but I do like the Grusin score.  In fact, I love mostly everything by Dave Grusin, especially Tootsie and Heart is the Lonely Hunter.

Laura II

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 12:25:05 AM »

I like tacos and fajitas. Yay.

Two things:
First, Sarah, your post about Jason potentially being an Irish housewife had me in hysterics!!!

Second, Dr. Markley (the principal) is awesome!! He used to make fun of me for being ditzy! Haha I remember when he interviewed me for a senior award ceremony last year, and I somehow started talking about musical theatre and role models, including Sutton. When he was reading his notes back to us (we were interviewed in a group setting), he said, "And she looks up to Sutton Foster...whoever that is." I cracked up. :)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 12:25:41 AM »

As to Mexican dishes - hoping we have some recipes because I do love Mexican food and I must be stopped from making these gross refried bean burritos that I do.  I love a good taco and I also love the bad tacos from Taco Bell.  I love cheese enchiladas with guacamole and sour cream on top - LOVE THEM.  I used to eat enchiladas rancheros a lot, but haven't in a while.  Occasionally I will eat a humungous chicken or beef tostada, and I'm quite fond of the Cheesecake Factory's Chicken Tacquito appetizer.  I know what I'll be eating tomorrow.  Casa Vega may just be calling me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 12:31:30 AM »

We do have some Mexican food  here in OZ but it is I suspect not too authentic. The Asian influence is much bigger. Thai and Vietnamese dishes are very popular. Can't really add any Mexican recipes as I have eaten so little of it.
DR Jed: My memory tells me that you liked Sonia Braga. My memory has of course often gone on holiday and come home quite confused.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 12:36:41 AM »

Re refried beans: Not only are they not fried twice, they are not even fried once. They are boiled and then baked. Isn't that a lovely bit of useless information?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 01:13:44 AM »

Here's what I did this (now previous) evening:  I went to the Seattle Center Tower Records to return a CD that I originally bought with the intention of giving it to my niece for her birthday.  It's called "Greasemania."  It has the songs from "Grease" as recorded by British pop singers...and there's one that my niece really likes.  It's an import and cost $25.  When I got home after buying it (dopey me), I looked on eBay and saw it for a lot less.  I bid and won a copy for only $10.38 (including shipping)!  So, I returned the Tower Records copy which, fortunately, I had not opened (since it was for my niece's birthday) AND I still had the receipt (yea!).  I got a cash refund but while I was there, I decided to look around.  I almost bought the "Broadway's Lost Treasures" DVD, but ended up buying the "Elaine Stritch At Liberty" DVD.  I've had the CD since it came out and now I can WATCH the show.  I will eventually get "Broadway's Lost Treasures"...just not yet.

I also got (for only $6.99 + tax) a 2001 recording of "the original score" to West Side Story as recorded by the Nashville Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Kenneth Schermerhorn (it's not an instrumental version of the score--it has singers and soloists who are not too bad).  According to the CD, "This recording of his theatrical masterpiece presents Bernstein's score as he originally conceived it, prior to its film and Broadway renditions."  I haven't listened to much of it, but the song "America" has Bernardo and the Sharks as well as Anita and the Girls.

My question for BK and anyone else:  Did Lenny (and Steve) really originally write "America" with the guys and then cut them for the stage production and then reinsert them into the song for the movie?  I always just assumed that they added the Sharks for the movie.  There is nothing in the liner notes explaining how they got the "original" version.  There are no cut songs (such as "Like Everybody Else") and nothing major seems to be missing.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 01:18:18 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 02:13:36 AM »

Woody and Bruce help a political career!

Woody on a, pardon the expression, cruise on an Amsterdam canal.

der Brucer (who {per}found some old pix
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 02:39:09 AM »

Well, it's 2:15 a.m. and I've been awakend by a *** FAX coming in declaring a "Gaming Stock Alert"! Isn't it enough to get Spam on AOL? Does Fax Spam have to come physically into my home and awaken me in the middle of the night?? Aaarghh!
Now that I'm here, DVD news: Yesterday I exchanged ONE, TWO, THREE for THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER. The former was cracked. Miss Val ( I believe that's her name, but it's the middle of the night and I can't remember) at the wonderful Heavy Rotation said that I must've cracked it taking it out of the case. I told her that if that was the case (not the DVD case)  I wouldn't exchange it as it was MY fault and why should she have to pay for it --  but she inisted that I get another DVD because I had come in with bk at the time of the original purchase and he was, she said, "A good friend." (That sentence just ran the Boston Marathon!) I'll say he's their good friend. I bet he keeps them in business. Anyway, when I thanked her she said to thank bk. ...Thank you, bk. Haven't seen NIGHT OF in years and years, so it will be a huge treat. I still want to see ONE, TWO, THREE again, of course - but that will have to wait.
Wasn't that profound? Now I'll try going back to bed even though I'm W I D E awake.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 02:50:58 AM »

DRMBARNUM send that tape!  I need it for the weekend!

I will think of some lovely questions on the drive to work.

Ethel & Mary and Mary and Loretta....what funny stories.  And so here is another one, not original - told about others - but recounted by Roger Corman in his autobiography:

He wanted to make a Western - "GUNSLINGER" - because Westerns NEVER lost money.  But his 6 day shoot was plagued with rain, rain, and more rain.  It was the only picture on which he went over-budget.  After slogging through the mud, shooting a rugged fight scene with Beverly Garland, and falling from a horse and breaking her arm, Miss Allison Hayes said to Corman:  "Who do I have to f**k to get off this picture?"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 02:51:57 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 04:05:18 AM »

Why don't I have a question for ask BK today?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 04:05:59 AM »

Well I guess that was a question but does it have an answer?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 04:06:29 AM »

I guess that is another question.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 04:26:10 AM »

NEWS FLASH:  You heard it here first.  Mr Donny Osmond will be on FRIENDS in February!  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2004, 04:29:09 AM »

I will start ASK BK day with a simple one:  What is your favorite episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies"?  Or do/did you consider it a major contribution to the cultural wasteland?

DRMATTH - I love "The Dick Van Dyke Show."  My favorite episode is 'Coast to Coast Big Mouth' with my second favorite being (I think the title is) 'That's Not My Secretary, That's My Wife' when Laura goes to work in the office.  

Michael

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2004, 04:29:13 AM »

NEWS FLASH:  You heard it here first.  Mr Donny Osmond will be on FRIENDS in February!  

Are you warning us or telling us?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2004, 04:41:36 AM »

I hear there is going to be a movie about gay cowboys directed by Ange Lee. I think it is going to be called something like Bareback Mountain. A double edged title if I ever heard one.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2004, 05:04:26 AM »

Are you warning us or telling us?

LOL - Take it as you will!   ;D

Ben

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2004, 05:40:06 AM »

Today I shall post a picture of our proper English breakfast. We did not photograph the toast and we did not have Blood Pudding (thank you very much). Some folks across the pond feel that the breakfast is not complete without the blood pudding but our lovely hosts decided, rightly I think, that in spite of our quest for adventure, the aforementioned treat might be off putting so early in the morning. Remember, Ant likes to play with the photo editing program so that's why everything is labeled. It actually is quite a filling and delicious breakfast. It keeps you going for the whole day until you get to a place like "The Hurt Arms" a pub where you can have another filling meal like Cottage Pie or Shepherd's pie.

Here's the picture.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2004, 05:52:04 AM »

Now I'm hungry.  

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2004, 05:58:10 AM »

Ask BK:
My sister's Christmas gift to me was The Complete Lyrics of Frank Loesser (my favorite songwriter).

Nowhere in the book does it say The Bee was written for Where's Charley? although it was written about the same time.

So my question is: On what basis did you include The Bee on one of your Lost In Boston albums?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2004, 05:58:44 AM »

Hey are there such things as "car starting" good vibes?

It was very cold last night (weather channel said low of -47C with windchill). Car won't start. CAA's line has been busy for the last 1 hour and a 1/2. I'm guessing many cars aren't starting here today :(

I will be back later and try to post my chicken enchilada recipe. I love chicken enchiladas.

Ben

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2004, 05:59:20 AM »

I don't have any questions for BK or any dear reader yet. Perhaps I will post another smaller picture of our time in the Nottingham area. We stayed with friends for 3 days and toured the area. We saw a gorgeous Cathedral (from 1245) in Lincoln and we also went to Chatsworth House which is the home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. The family was away for holiday but the staff kindly let us in to tour the grounds

While in Nottingham, we visited what is left of King John's castle (basically, nothing except one of the walls) and visited the oldest continuing running Pub in England, A Trip to Old Jerusalem. It's been running, I think, since the 1100s. Don't have the exact date in front of me. Much of it is built into a cave outside of the wall of the old castle. We had a pint and thought about Robin Hood and Maid Marian (Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn) so here is a picture to commemorate that event

Ben

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2004, 06:00:25 AM »

Finally! It took so long to re-size that picture to keep us from Cinerama but also to be able to see it. Hope you enjoy it. I know, I know, I have a crazy boyfriend.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2004, 06:01:22 AM »

Ant likes to play with the photo editing program so that's why everything is labeled.

I can't afford a photo editing program, which is why I have to use Alpha Bits.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ben

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2004, 06:05:00 AM »

:) :D ;D 8) :-*

Maybe these smilies will act as good car starting vibes.

I know that feeling when it so cold out your nose hairs freeze when you take a breath in. And you forgot to plug in the tank heater on the car the night before so you know when you put the key in the ignition, you will barely get a sound, let alone the rev of an engine. Ouch! Good thoughts to Jennifer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2004, 06:11:08 AM »

Cold weather and cars!  :P

Power vibes to Jennifer:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]#########################[/move]

Great picture - where was the little john?  ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 06:14:35 AM by JRand53 »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2004, 06:19:03 AM »

Good Vibes to Jennifer and her car.

And a vibe request here. We took Archie the spaniel to the vet's this morning. I'll spare the details, but yesterday we woke up to a major cleanup job (completely out of character). Things seemed to improve through the day, but I had to take him out a few times last night (the combination of eager dog and long elevator ride is not the best). And this morning was another major cleanup. He's full of pep, initiated a game of catch, and was pissed off at going to the doctor's. All good signs. But the vibes would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2004, 06:38:01 AM »

Good vibes to DinTo & Archie.  ;D

« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 06:40:05 AM by JRand53 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up