Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: BK GOES TO NY  (Read 29453 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BK GOES TO NY
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2007, 06:45:05 AM »

I hope there will be pictures of any H/K gatherings in NYC during the next few days. Would love to see the NYC gang.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2007, 06:48:33 AM »

Page Three Viktor Krumm and Cederic Diggory Dance!!!

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2007, 06:55:39 AM »

TOD for all DR's.

When was the first time you went to NYC?  How old were you?  Why did you go?  What impressed you most?  What surprised you most?  How did you get there?  Do you still have any "souvenir" or remembrance you got while you were there?

I first went to NY in 2003 wth my High School Thespian Troupe. We stayed at the Crown Royal in Times Square, and  was there for a week, our main goal being to see as much theater as possible in our fee time. Our first night there we saw Wicked (original cast) and when we came out of the theater, it had just started snowing. For me, it was my first Broadway show, and my first snowfall, and I will never forget it that feeling.

The next morning the snow was brown and gross and the people were walking fast and it was very cold and some of the magic was gone, but I still had a blast doing all the tourist stuff, and seeing six shows.

I went again on the same trip in 2004 ( different shows, and those of us who had gone the year before had more freedom. ) then in 2005 our group went to London where I saw four shows and we had no freedom since we were stuck with two other school groups.

I still have all the playbills and boarding passes, but was not really into the souvenirs. Lot's of pictures though!!
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2007, 07:14:58 AM »

Good Morning!

Greetings from Ripley-Grier.

Ah, dance auditions... being "accompanied" by a CD track. :)

Oh, and, Yes... Ah, the dancers. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2007, 07:19:19 AM »

Lovely story DR ADRIANA PATTI

DRJOSE....what is the most unique dance costume you have seen today?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2007, 07:20:46 AM »

DR Adriana Patti - I was in NYC that same week!  The night it snowed, Steve and I were seeing Urinetown.  -And we had had dinner before the show at Joe Allen with DR Jason.  It had started snowing as we were walking to the theatre, and when we came out of the theatre, Times Square was simply BEAUTIFUL covered in snow.  -One of my favorite nights ever in NYC.

*Is it possible that you saw Taye Diggs on as Fiyero at Wicked.  When we saw the show the next night, I think that was Norbert Leo Butz's first night back in after his medical leave.  -And he had come back a day or two earlier than originally scheduled.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2007, 07:21:41 AM »

I'm heading down now to read a bit more of THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book, and I've enjoyed it much more so far than ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. It seems a bit lighter and less hopeless than PHOENIX, and even though I know direful things are coming, so far, it's been very engaging even when bad things happen.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2007, 07:22:11 AM »

I have been watching Miss Baayork Lee, et al, doing "Turkey Lurkey Time" on You Tube.

That is her in that number, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EktVzsYjMJk

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2007, 07:23:46 AM »

DR JRand - Nothing "special" about any of the chosen dance attire at this morning's auditions.  Although, there is one young woman who is wearing a white "top" (looks like a one-piece bikini) with sheer black leggings.  Consequently, you can see her "underwear", so to speak.  But it doesn't look unseemly.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2007, 07:24:36 AM »

I have been watching Miss Baayork Lee, et al, doing "Turkey Lurkey Time" on You Tube.

That is her in that number, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EktVzsYjMJk

Yes, that is her and et al's dance.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2007, 07:33:27 AM »

Yes, that is her and et al's dance.

I love it.....does she still wear lots of green...because it sure is HER color!!!

I also happen to see this U of M theatre dance major routine.  They are using the CAMP soundtrack....

Knowing how hard it is to get SIX people into or out of a straight line and to teach ANY dance to any group...this is not bad.  The only thing I would change:  I would make that last "Jingle Bells" step an add on or pick up rather than have everyone doing it for so long....but watch the audience reaction....that DAMNED number always works!!!   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su081jZvptI

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2007, 07:33:50 AM »

DR JRand - Nothing "special" about any of the chosen dance attire at this morning's auditions.  Although, there is one young woman who is wearing a white "top" (looks like a one-piece bikini) with sheer black leggings.  Consequently, you can see her "underwear", so to speak.  But it doesn't look unseemly.

If you say so...........   8)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2007, 07:34:39 AM »

As for my first time in NYC... Hmm...

I'm pretty sure my parents took me and my brothers to NYC once or twice when we kids.  I do seem to have memories of the Lincoln Tunnel and all that traffic!  And the windshield-wiper guys!!!

However, the first trip that sticks in my head is when I went up with my cousin, Richard, and his family when I was 11 or 12.  We stayed in Queens with some of his relatives.  I remember all the knick-knacks jiggling each time the subway went by.  And I also remember watching the subway doors close as one part of our group had gotten on the 1 Train, and the other part was still on the platform!  OH - And that's also when I first learned that you had to be in the first five cars if you wanted to get off at Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty - we just sat for a while in the subway car waiting for it to move forward, then started noticing people walking through the cars.  Then there was a dinner in Chinatown at some place that served giant portions of steamed rice with their entrees.  I'm not sure I have any souvenirs from that trip, although, I'm pretty sure I bought something while I was up there.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2007, 07:37:20 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept very late but I was up watching both discs of the new release of THE MONSTER SQUAD, which puts the embarassing Hugh Jackman mess VAN HELSING to shame in its humorous and wonderful tribute to the Universal Studio monsters and  their horror films of the 1940s.  It was wonderful to see the film finally in its widescreen glory, and the shot of the kids and the Frankenstein monster in silhouette against the sunset is a charming summation of the whole film's success.

I may do a bit of laundry this afternoon and watch another disc of UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS.  It's a quiet day and I like it.

BK, I'll meet you at Joe Allen's around 6:45.

Thanks, DR JRand56, for the quiz!

When was the first time you went to NYC?  
Dec 26-Jan 1, 1966

How old were you?  

Why did you go?
To see City Ballet's Nutcracker and the original cast of Thr Man of LaMancha.

What impressed you most?
So much to see and do!

What surprised you most?  
High cost of living.

How did you get there?  
The train.

Do you still have any "souvenir" or remembrance you got while you were there?
No.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:38:24 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2007, 07:42:53 AM »

Alas, the one NYC souvenir that I seemed to have lost track is a Playbill of Biloxi Blues from a high school theatre trip.  My drama teacher had taken some of us to see the show - we did standing room.  The show was still in previews, but I believe we caught one of the final ones.  We saw a Wednesday matinee.  We had seen Brighton Beach Memoirs (with John Cryer, Richard Nelson and Anita Gillette) the night before, and it was great seeing those two parts of the trilogy back to back.  In any case...

I lost track of the box that that Playbill - along with some other keepsakes - was in during one of my many moves in college.  However, I keep thinking - and hoping - that it will pop up in one of my many boxes of stuff that I have yet to go through.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2007, 07:46:47 AM »

Uh oh....I spoke too soon....checking some of the other clips.  The song doesn't ALWAYS work, but I won't post that one.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2007, 07:47:09 AM »

You will find it, DR JOSE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2007, 07:47:52 AM »

MR BK must be in the air.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2007, 07:57:14 AM »

Wow if you take all of the ads and inserts out of the Sunday paper, there isn't much left.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2007, 08:03:39 AM »

OH!  And some of them do acro too!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2007, 08:07:51 AM »

Is that a DR MusicGuy I spy?  -And possibly from his new abode?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2007, 08:09:17 AM »

OK... Time for the dancers to sing.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2007, 08:10:47 AM »

OK... Time for the dancers to sing.

Laters...

Have fun!!!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2007, 08:27:05 AM »

Yes..... C'est moi !!

I am finally hooked up and working with my laptop again, and I wanted to wish all of you lovelies and studlies a wonderful and happy Sunday.

I shall not even try to re-cap the amount of work, sweat (yes, dear Mz. Karen, sweat!!) over-exhaustion, sore back muscles, etc. that have been manifested in the past 6 or 7 days.  I shall just say, THANK GOD (or buhdda, or Allah, or Baayork) that it is finished and I'm starting to get unpacked in my new house.

It would not have happened without the enormous help of 2 of my friends (not hainsies) with 2 pickup trucks and a 10' x 15' open-bed trailer.  And equally, without the help of the dearest, dear DR Laura, who volunteered to help me clean, re-line drawers and shelves, and get a good start on unpacking at the new house.  That blessed woman worked like she was a victim of "indentured servitude," and she helped for 2 days in a row !!

Cillaliz

« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2007, 08:29:28 AM »

When was the first time you went to NYC?  
March 1977

How old were you?  

Why did you go?  
I was on a church trip studying apartheid in South Africa. First we went to DC where we met refugees, and people who told us what was happening. Then we went to NYC to go to the U.N. and the South African Embassy. We stayed at the Vanderbilt YMCA (I think it's the Vanderbilt) It was right next to the Church Center for the United Nations where we had our meetings.  I was also hoping to meet my new pen pal at the time, Rupert Holmes.

What impressed you most?  
Everything!  I loved the city. I remember thinking how wild it was that there was a store where you could really buy cigarettes that had black paper and silver tips.

What surprised you most?  
That the South African Embassy wouldn't talk to us at all about apartheid and just showed us a tourist film.  And that someone I knew would be famous some day (Rupert) took ME- a kid from Iowa- to lunch. It was at the Auto Pub. I thought that was the coolest place I'd ever seen.  The back with the drive-in movie seats was closed, but they let me go back and look at it. We sat at a table that was in a old car.  
The church group and I saw the Rockettes do their Easter show. I was blown away by Radio City.
I saw my first Broadway show - The Wiz.  We had seen Annie in try outs when we were on  the DC portion of the same trip.

How did you get there?
By Bus. Hours and hours and hours on that bus

Do you still have any "souvenir" or remembrance you got while you were there?
I have several. I have the stuff from our studies. I have 3 albums that Rupert bought for me at Sam Goody.  I have my Playbill from The Wiz. I still love New York and most of all I still have the friend I met that day, Rupert.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:30:43 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2007, 08:32:27 AM »

Gotta Go. I'm really running late for all I have to do today

MusicGuy

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2007, 08:36:02 AM »

Of course, it is going to take weeks to get unpacked, sorted, kept, thrown away, organized, but at least the basics of the new house are in place..... beds set up and made, most kitchen stuff put away, a few things in the refrigerator, A/C works fine, toilet paper in both bathrooms, the big plasma screen re-mounted in the new living room, my copy of "Hope For Today" on the kitchen counter, Sugar's food bowl and tub of kibbles in place, and room for the car in the garage.

I'll hold off for a little bit on some pictures......... I want to at least get a little bit of decorating done, a few pictures on the walls, and a few accessories around.

But I must have come through it alright, because in the immortal words of "the dealer" (Daisy Clover's mother)..... "I can still heat beans, and count to 10 !"

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2007, 08:39:03 AM »

Welcome home, DR MusicGuy!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MusicGuy

« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2007, 08:39:20 AM »

And so now, back to some leisurely unpacking of boxes.  It is amazing to have to look at each and every object and thing that we have saved for years.  And also interesting how often my reaction is  "... and why is this still being kept?"

Happy and safe flying to the dear Esteemed Mensch.  Think of me at Joe Allen's tonight!!  And don't give anyone else a hickey, except me! :)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2007, 08:39:45 AM »

By the way, Marilyn was thrilled to get those nice boxes!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up