Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE METAPHYSICAL ME  (Read 33486 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE METAPHYSICAL ME
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2004, 07:52:10 AM »

Watched FINDING NEMO last night for the first time. After hearing everyone here rave about it I felt I was missing something! Very cute movie. Ellen DeGeneres was absolutely fantastic! She was constantly cracking me up! And the animation and color were so lovely to look at...I wish that I had seen the film on the big screen!

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2004, 07:55:42 AM »

I you know how much good that will do ME!

Well God Mike is here to help you, my friend!

There are also a few surprises in the package...hints: Diana Darrin, The Twist, Helen...that is all I can say.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2004, 08:01:48 AM »

Wasn't she the original Martha in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf"?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2004, 08:01:50 AM »

With FINDING NEMO, I had heard such raves about it that I sort of "dared" it to entertain me once I finally got it on DVD. I have to say it worked its spell on me and by the halfway point, I was laughing and just in awe over the brilliant color and sound. It certainly is a reference quality disc if someone wanted to show off a home theater.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2004, 08:02:35 AM »

Yes, DR JRand, Uta Hagen won one of her two Tony Awards as Martha in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2004, 08:04:08 AM »

Oh my DRMBARNUM now I am even more excited.....clues clues clues...hmmmmmmmm  :P

FINDING NEMO was so funny - and so well done - and the voices so well matched and directed.   :D

Every movie should entertain us as much.

I thought so DRMATTH.  My friend Marika studied with her for awhile in NYC and loved her acting technique AND her teaching technique!  I think I saw her once on "The Dick Cavett Show".....gosh....I just remembered didn't she also play Georgie in "The Country Girl"?

"There's nothing quite so mysterious as an empty theatre....like a night without a star...."  :'(
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 08:06:09 AM by JRand53 »

Jason

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2004, 08:17:21 AM »

Jennifer: I don't think they broke up...she still thanks him in her bio. Maybe they did...I'm not sure.

Re. karma: For the record, I don't think I ever knowingly 'booed' anyone, and if I did, it was by mistake. But honestly, the option was there, and everyone understood from the beginning that there was the chance that one might be booed, and since it really didn't amount to a hill of beans in the long run, I personally don't see what the big deal was--and this is coming from a person who is notorious for being "sensitive." Anyway, my opinion doesn't really matter in the long run and the Karma function is now defunct, so now I suppose all is right with the world and we can go on with our daily lives without fear or frustration over being booed. Thank you, Mark, for getting rid of it.

Jose: You had the sirloin! You hateful, hateful thing! You know how I love that steak! I'm glad you guys are having fun in the snowy city...and I'm especially glad to hear you enjoyed URINETOWN. How was Carolee Carmello? I love her work so much. Too bad I can't catch her in this show before it closes. :\ What show are you seeing tonight?

Tonight I'll be at the Met...WERTHER. Bleh! We should be busy, though, what with the snow and all. It's awfully slow-going trying to walk the streets and sidewalks, seeing how many of them haven't been cleared yet and the snow is really, really slushy. I'm sure we'll be checking lots of galoshes and boots tonight. Rapture.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 08:19:59 AM by Jason »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2004, 08:21:21 AM »

Gord says that Uta Hagen will be immortalized through her contribution not just to the theatre, but to the crossword.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2004, 08:22:29 AM »

Yes, DR JRand, THE COUNTRY GIRL is what she won her first Tony for!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2004, 08:29:55 AM »

I have never seen FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, so I don't know the characters well enough to cast anyone   :-\
Oh, that's it, make Uncle Woody come up with reasons for you to watch Fiddler.

I got to watch the taping of a Carol Burnett special, where her two guests were Lucille Ball and Zero Mostel.  It must have been shortly after his run as Tevye.  The specialty number he performed was "If I Were a Rich Man."  Sadly, I was too young at the time to catch the irony of his singing the song while wearing a tux.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2004, 08:44:16 AM »

True DinTO - Tv Guide, newspaper, and magazine have all used "actress Hagen."

Thanks MATTH - I like the movie and I really LOVE the play.  Odets....  "Opening night....the director is the world's most useless man."

SWW how was Lucy on the special?  Was she bossy between the takes?  LOL....  

Jason have fun checking tonight - I hope everyone has idiot mittens!  It will be much easier for you!

Jason

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2004, 08:52:54 AM »

Idiot mittens? What in the world are those?

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2004, 08:54:22 AM »

Jason, how is the mail stealing investigation going? Have any packages been recovered yet?

Jason

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2004, 08:59:31 AM »

MBarnum: Nothing has been recovered yet, and I haven't heard anything from the Postal Inspector since she called me before New Year's. I highly doubt they'll recover anything, but hopefully they'll catch a break and find the thief. I will say, however, that I have received all my NetFlix movies since I started having them sent to the office....

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2004, 09:03:35 AM »

My mother has a box of Playbills from plays and shows she saw on Broadway in her younger days.  One of them is for Shakespeare's Othello, starring Paul Robeson, Jose Ferrer and Uta Hagen.  What a magnificent performance that must have been!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2004, 09:05:54 AM »

SWW how was Lucy on the special?  Was she bossy between the takes?  LOL....  
During the taping, there was little chance for the studio audience to see what was happening backstage.  If there were any problems, they were kept out of earshot.  

Instead, we were treated to some audio clips that Carol had recorded with Julie Andrews during their Carnegie Hall taping.  I don't remember most of those, but for some reason the one that has stuck was a discussion about how Carol had just bought a "living bra," and was going on and on about how she loved her "living bra" and what her "living bra" did for her figure.  "There's just one problem," Carol finally admitted.  "What's that?" asked Julie.  "What am I supposed to feed it?"

Also, the show was taped twice, both times with a live audience.  The final product was an intercut between the two, with little stopping unless something went seriously wrong.  (This, of course, had the advantage of keeping the material fresh for the audience.  The one scene that went wrong was a sketch between Carol and Zero, and the response at the end wasn't nearly as strong as it had been during the first take.)

Lucy?  I really don't remember all that much of her performance, other than her duing a "Charwoman" duet with Carol.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2004, 09:07:52 AM »

DRJASON - Idiot mitten are tied together with a string that goes up through your coat sleeves so they are always attached and you can't lose them!   :P

OMG - I just checked out the guest list for the Courts show that MR BK and DRCHARLESPOGUE will be attending this weekend!  They are as famous as many of the guests however - there are highlights!

Kathleen Hughes - the pretty blonde from IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE...hubba hubba!

Tommy Bond - Butch from the Little Rascals!

Luciana Paluzzi - I posted her pic with Mary Astor last week from RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE!

Jan Sterling (Sunday only!) - HIGH AND THE MIGHTY and FEMALE ON THE BEACH!

Julie Adams - CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and FRANCIS JOINS THE WACS with Allison!  ;D

Kim Darby - TRUE GRIT and THE STRAWBERRY STATEMENT!  :D

Charlotte Rae - Broadway's Mammy Yokum!  8)

And a Saturday Q/A with people from television's THE FUGITIVE including director Walter Graumann who did a lot of "Peyton Place" television episodes AND a "77 Sunset Strip" with Allison...and THE DISEMBODIED starring Allison!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2004, 09:09:26 AM »

Hi, Gang.

Well, the arbitration went well yesterday. I was loveable and articulate, and the goons were loutish, brutish, and said stuff like, "She don't git it." an' stuff like that, and stuff. And the arbitrator was named Feld - which made me feel very A-list in the room. I think I'll prevail. But, I accept my Fate! whatever...

Hey, Jed - Jane told me you asked where on Hwy 2 I liv up here: Mt. Index Riversites, 4 miles o' bad road offa Hwy 2, just West of Index. A cabin on a stream in a lovely forest. But sometimes I am without water (bummer) for long periods of time, after a storm knocks my pump out. I learn to love the part of civilization where you turn the tap, and water just spills into a sink, and you can fiddle with a handle, and make it come out hot. That just knocks me out!!

As it is, I've been melting snow in 5 gallon buckets, and heating it up in a 2 gallon soup pot on the woodstove, to wash in. Oh, ain't she jes' the cutest little thang. Chop wood, carry water. As long as there's internet and TV, what care I?? Oh, happy day!. bye, p

PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2004, 09:10:06 AM »

Hollywood's attempts to deglamorize stars like Olivia DeHavilland (THE HEIRESS) and Grace Kelly (THE COUNTRY GIRL) usually just doesn't work (unless they put them in Halloween makeup like Elizabeth Taylor in THE BLUE BIRD) because their beauty just comes through. Grace was fine in THE COUNTRY GIRL, but I didn't think her work was powerful enough for the piece. I suspect she won that Oscar due to the fact that she had three hit films that year - REAR WINDOW and DIAL 'M' FOR MURDER being the others - and three studios rooting (and voting) for her: Paramount, Warners, and her home lot MGM.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2004, 09:10:30 AM »

...and little Kim Richards from Nanny and the Professor! This is a very good line-up! Was Brett Halsey on that list? I can't recall!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2004, 09:11:58 AM »

Thanks DRSWW - I remember watching that "special"!  And isn't it ironic that what they used to call "Special" on television, really lived up to the name?

Must see TV?   Nope.  Two hours of a 'Friends' finale?  Sorry.  Debra Messing is the NEW Lucille Ball...I don't think so!  

But then I am pretentious and boring and Karmaless, so what do I know?  Where are my mittens?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2004, 09:12:19 AM »

The Los Angeles Opera has announced its 2004-2005 season, and Sondheim fans will be most interested.  As part of its regular repertory subscription season, they will be doing Sweeney Todd, with Bryn Terfel in the title role.  During July of 2004, they will mount A Little Night Music, starring Jeremy Irons and Juliet Stevenson, who starred together in the work in a run at the New York City Opera last year.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2004, 09:15:10 AM »

NO Brett that I saw DRMBARNUM.

DR MATTH I think you may be right about Grace's win, although I like her in the movie THE COUNTRY GIRL.  I don't like what they did to the script...but that's another story.  And I have always wondered if there is much of Frances Farmer in Georgie Elgin.....Odets didn't know many other "country girls".....

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2004, 09:19:45 AM »

Sad about Uta Hagen. I saw her in a "reading" of WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINAI WOOLF" a few years ago in LA. It was absolutely phenomenal. I've seen the play many times in full production and this so called reading blew them all away. I was about to consult my old playbills to see who else was in the cast - because I remember it was a great cast, but can't recall - and I realize I've - sigh - thrown away all my thousands of programs. I'm sure one of the DR's will know. The reading was also held in NY. (Just remembered - Roger Rees was George.)

I'm going to San Francisco for the night on Saturday and my wonderful landlord and landlady are going to Abiesit my dog (Abie). So my landlord came with me this morning on Abie's walk so I could show him where I take him. He gave me a little tour of the neighborhood as we walked. On the corner of my street is the Gidget house from the TV series. The same house was the home of Marilyn Monroe and Joe Dimaggio when they married. Two houses from us is Smiley Burnett's old home - now rebuilt.  A bit of Hollywood history.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2004, 09:23:16 AM »

Karma!  Gone, but undoubtedly not forgotten.  I can’t say that I followed the whole karma thing very closely.  For instance, I haven’t the slightest idea how much karma I had at the point it was removed, nor could I tell you if my total had gone up or down within the last few days.  I did enjoy, from time to time, awarding someone karma, just because of the joy that they seemed to receive from getting it.  I never knowingly took karma away from anyone, because to me it always seemed to say more about the person removing it, than it did about the person that had it taken away.  Finally, even without having a clue who the two culprits might be, I am still shocked by it.  Why would anyone go to a party and then slam the host behind his back?  Everyone who has ever been to a show business party, or even dreamed of attending one, knows that you never slam your host – until the next day.

But seriously, and what could be more serious than one of our crazy castings games?

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF – THE ROCK OPERA

Tveye:      Bob Dylan
Golde:      Bette Midler   
Yenta:      Elton John

Tzeitel:      Bonnie Raitt
Hodel:      Olivia Newton-John
Chava:      Brandy (ok, adopted)

Motel:      Eric Clapton
Perchik:      Bruce Springsteen
Fyedka:      Paul McCartney

Fruma Sarah:   Little Ritchard
Lazar Wolf:   Kris Kristopherson

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2004, 09:25:57 AM »

But then I am pretentious and boring and Karmaless, so what do I know?  Where are my mittens?

You are anything but boring DR JRand53!! And I can always give you virtual karma! LOL!

Hey, Annette Funicello is singing Monkey's Uncle on internet radio station Luxuriamusic.com! She loves the monkey's uncle..ya, ya!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2004, 09:27:19 AM »

While I never saw Miss Hagen as Martha, I did have the wonderful and magnificent Columbia LP of the complete play, and I'm here to tell you that even aurally she was wonderful and magnificent, as was Mr. Arthur Hill, Miss Melinda Dillon and Mr. George Grizzard.  I labored mightily to put it out on CD but alas the royalties were so huge that there was no way possible to do it.

Excellent casts for Fiddler - I would pay to see any of them more than the current revival - especially The Supremes as Tevye's daughters.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2004, 09:28:27 AM »

Dan-in-To - Good news about Archie, Hope he's home soon.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2004, 09:28:29 AM »

And since I can't add anything to today's topic due to lack of knowledge, how about this for a topic...what Disney movie do you wish would come out on DVD...I vote for BAMBI and THE UGLY DACHSHUND, two of my favorites....which reminds me that I really need to open and watch my DVD of THE PARENT TRAP one of these days!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2004, 09:29:04 AM »

What TCB said.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up